• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

2015 Pirates thread

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Word on the radio is that they'll shop Pedro for a trade and move Walker to first base.
I was off on Pedro by a year or two but if that happens then I was correct that they'd get rid of him at some point for sucking.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Word on the radio is that they'll shop Pedro for a trade and move Walker to first base.
I was off on Pedro by a year or two but if that happens then I was correct that they'd get rid of him at some point for sucking.

Was the source of this the dude on Twitter that Starkey and Mueller picked up on?

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Was the source of this the dude on Twitter that Starkey and Mueller picked up on?
I don't know but it does beg the question that where are they going to put him and who is going to move? You simply cannot have Pedro playing third so you move him to first, which I get, but now his bat isn't helping you either. He's either a bust or needs a change of scenery.

Buster

Reaction score
What ever happened to those two cricket players they drafted?

Dinesh Patel -- one of the winners of Million Dollar Arm -- was released by the Pirates in 2010, but the other winner, Rinku Singh, is still in baseball. He was invited to Pirates Spring Training last season, but missed the entire year after successful surgery on his throwing arm.

Supersteeler

Reaction score
What ever happened to those two cricket players they drafted?

They didn't draft them. They signed them to contracts after they won a reality show. There was a Disney movie made about them last year.

Steelerfan81

HERE WE GO
Forefather
Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
Disappointing that they haven't signed a bat for that lineup. Losing Martin is huge and we picked up nothing to help off set that.

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Disappointing that they haven't signed a bat for that lineup. Losing Martin is huge and we picked up nothing to help off set that.

Offense is not really a problem for the 2015 Pirates. Last year, they ranked 2nd in the NL in OBP, 3rd in slugging (Colorado should be ignored, but they are in the NL) despite playing in a pitcher's park, and 4th in runs.

They lost Martin to free agency, true, but they have plus offensive production - well above league average - at 2B, SS, 3B, LF, and CF. Polanco will be a good player this season and improve RF production.

The team also signed Corey Hart to play against LH'ers and get Pedro off the field. The combination of Hart and Pedro is very likely to provide 35 HR's and a .470 slugging. In other words, vastly better offense at 1B than the team had last year, when it was arguably the best offense in the NL in the 2nd half.

The team acquired Cervelli to be the starting C. His defense is good. His hitting is ehhh. But when a team is loaded with hitting, it can have an "ehhh" position player at a defensive position like C.

Further, the bench this year is light-years better than last season. The bench includes Snider, Hart, and Kang. That is a legitmate bench, with an OF'er, a MI'er and a CI'er, all with power.

The concern is the starting pitching. Right now, the team will rely on Jeff Locke for 12 or so starts. If he his good Locke, no problem. Bad Locke? Problem. The Buccos will need to count on Locke since Taillon is coming off TJ surgery, Kingham and Taillon will not be Super 2'ed, and Glasnow is a long way off yet.

If the pitching can hold up the first 60 games, until Kingham and Taillon can help out, the team will be good - VERY good.

21STEELERS21

21 is my IQ
Reaction score
I'm not sure Locke will be starting, rotation looks like Cole, Liriano, Morton, Burnett, Worley. Unless there are injuries, I don't see Taillon or Kingman pitching in majors in
2015, unless relief work in September.

Cervelli has hit for average, but lacks power. The power should easily be made up with higher production in RF and first base.

Buster

Reaction score

If Pedro can return to any resemblance of his power numbers from two years ago and Corey Hart can bring some pop off the bench and spot starting at 1B and OF, we would be in good shape. Find playing time for Kang and get half of his Korean production...that would be icing on the cake.

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not sure Locke will be starting, rotation looks like Cole, Liriano, Morton, Burnett, Worley. Unless there are injuries, I don't see Taillon or Kingman pitching in majors in 2015, unless relief work in September.

Morton says he will be ready by April, but I'm not buying it. I think he is back in the latter part of May, after starting the year on the DL and after an injury assignment to Indianapolis.

But you are 100% correct, that a healthy Morton makes the rotation very deep.

And Taillon and Kingham are big-time arms. Taillon deals at 97 mph with a killer curve. No way he does not join the team this summer. Kingham is a serious prospect, who looks to be a legitimate number 4 starter. Guys like that need to join the team, so that the Buccos feature a rotation of:

1. Cole
2. Liriano
3. Burnett
4. Taillon
5. Morton

6. Worley
7. Kingham

That is serious starting pitcher depth - and where the Pirates' #5 starter is better than most team's #4. Moreover, their #7 starting pitcher would make a ton of starting rotations in the major leagues.

Cervelli has hit for average, but lacks power. The power should easily be made up with higher production in RF and first base.

Right, I'm not disrespecting Cervelli. He hits ... okay. But the Pirates benefited last year from a GREAT offensive season by Russell Martin. No way Cervelli posts an .832 OPS. I would be satisfied with .732.

And I agree that the decline in offense from the C position is offset by (1) 150 games from Marte, (2) much better offense from RF, and (3) much better offense from 1B.

hamster

Pronouns: Your lordship
Contributor
Reaction score
There is no guarantee that Martin will have another season like last. And Pedro would look a lot better wearing some other team's uniform.

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Kang signed for 4 years, with a Pirates' option for a 5th season. $11 million for the first 4 seasons, and a $5.5 million option year 5, with a $1 million buyout.

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/pittsburgh-pirates-sign-jung-ho-kang-south-korea-011615

Kid can hit the fastball, has very good hands and a decent arm. If he hits to the degree the Pirates expect, he can be a legitimate major league 2nd baseman. I think the Buccos use him play every infield position but 1B, and now have the ability to put in a good hitter in a double-switch, or if Harrison, Mercer or Walker need a day off.

Huntington has had a very good offseason.

Starting pitching an issue? Sign Burnett and Liriano.

Pen needs some lefty help? Trade for Bastardo.

Not sold on Pedro against left-handers? Sign Hart.

Worried about having legitimate major league players to back up MI positions? Sign Kang and trade for Sean Rodriguez.

Catching now a big concern since Martin is gone? Get a legitimate starting catcher in Cervelli.

Keeping track of the additions and departures:

Players Lost

Russell Martin (ouch)
Edinson Volquez
Justin Wilson
Gaby Sanchez
Joely Rodriguez

Players Added/Retained

A.J. Burnett
Francisco Liriano
Antonio Bastardo
Francisco Cervelli
Sean Rodriguez
Jung-Ho Kang
Corey Hart

To Neil Huntington:

7dfa3_ORIG-applause.gif

Buster

Reaction score
Wouldn't it be great if Searage could work his magic and turn Clayton Richard back into a serviceable back end starter?

Hineswardkickedurpanzyass

Reaction score
You simply cannot have Pedro playing third so you move him to first, which I get, but now his bat isn't helping you either. He's either a bust or needs a change of scenery.

I would love to see him in a Cards jersey in the near future. They need a guy that hits .198 in that lineup.

21STEELERS21

21 is my IQ
Reaction score
It would be nice if Taillon is at MLB level before year is out, but everyone recovers from Tommy John at a different pace.

I think 2015 will be Walkers last year. He is asking 9 million in arb this year and Pirates now have Kang/Hanson.
I think down the road they will want to keep the young pitchers as long as possible and trade position players as
they become expensive. I could see them trying to sign Cole on a 4/5 year deal at the end of 2015.

Buster

Reaction score
Bucs trade Snider to the O's for a lefty pitching prospect. What I look at the projected opening day roster, he was possibly the only leafy bat on the bench. I guess they think Lambo is ready for a full time major league gig.

Supersteeler

Reaction score
Not a fan of salary dumping Snider..

Lol, are we still going with the salary dump thing? I thought that was a thing of the past before the Pirates proved that they are a perennial contender and their method of doing things has worked out perfectly. Snider is a mediocre talent at the Pirates strongest position. They sold high because he had decent numbers in limited time last year. Back when he had every chance to win the stating RF job he sucked *** and got sent back to the bench. They must like Lambo better as a bench bat. They have Corey Hart now too don't forget. That will likely be his role unless something happens with Pedro, who I think they still plan on putting at 1B.

Last edited:

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Not a fan of salary dumping Snider..

I am not a big fan of the move, mainly because I think Snider is going to be a good player for the next 2 seasons.

But I am not buying that it was a "salary dump." The guy doesn't earn that much. Further, the return is lefties who throw hard.

The Buccos need to replenish their lefty arms, since they dealt Rodriguez, Wilson, and Taylor, and Bastardo is gone after this season.

steel dino

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
From the outside looking in...

It doesn't seem to be very value added short term..

But any time you can get a young lefty with big upside...you have to seriously consider making a move...

Time will tell...

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Lol, are we still going with the salary dump thing? I thought that was a thing of the past before the Pirates proved that they are a perennial contender and their method of doing things has worked out perfectly. Snider is a mediocre talent at the Pirates strongest position. They sold high because he had decent numbers in limited time last year. Back when he had every chance to win the stating RF job he sucked *** and got sent back to the bench. They must like Lambo better as a bench bat. They have Corey Hart now too don't forget. That will likely be his role unless something happens with Pedro, who I think they still plan on putting at 1B.

This is exactly it. The GM loves Lambo and opened the door for him to be one of their top bats off the bench next year. Wasn't possible with Snider in the way.

Scott T

Forefather
Reaction score
El Toro and Kang go yard. Pirates with 6 runs early.