• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Yes, it is only practice...

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Yeah because the benefit of hindsight really takes insight, hard work and good analysis. You really are a clown.

Steel,

Allow me to offer you a sample of what I thought about some draft picks over the years. I'll keep it to round three, and I'm sure you remember some of this:

M Adam - Slow feet

J Jones - Flat out cannot play

D Archer A smurf with little value

Dupree There were better on the board

Golson Too small too prone, felt he would be injury prone

Burns - Did not like the pick, wanted Howard

Davis - Enough said, but he's not a bad as many on this list

Washington - Neither fast or tall, looks like our #4 WR this season. Not exactly what you want from a 2nd round pick.

These were my thought on draft day. Hindsight only proves me right.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
Steel,

Allow me to offer you a sample of what I thought about some draft picks over the years. I'll keep it to round three, and I'm sure you remember some of this:

There is a lot of revisionist history with Dupree's draft. There were 3 OLB options high:

Ray
Gregory
Dupree

Ray sucks - Less stats that Dupree while playing opposite of Von Miller
Gregory was an undraftable drug addict
And Dupree was the best of the bunch.

Which guy did you want again??

Pretty sure you liked Gregory, when I was calling him undraftable before that draft, and now he's on his 3rd suspension that looks like it will be career ending.

Last edited:

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
Steel,

M Adam - Slow feet

Washington - Neither fast or tall, looks like our #4 WR this season. Not exactly what you want from a 2nd round pick.

Let’s keep it rolling Cope....

Funny how Coach “felt” Golson was injury prone considering the SEC All-American never missed a game in college.

Enough said on Davis? From you? Hardly. If the guy was to make All-Pro you would still slam the guy. Yet here he is beginning his 3rd year as a starter.

Sent from my iPad using Steeler Nation mobile app

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score
M Adam - Slow feet

I just checked all the scouting reports on him again, that was not the issue. Character, work ethic and other things that kept him off the field in college were the biggest red flags. The Steelers should have kept them off their draft board like they originally had, instead of letting the guy personally sell them a line of bullshit.

Seriously? That was your assessment on draft day? Because all Jarvis Jones did was have production in college. It were his explosion metrics and measurables that really made him questionable, which in hindsight, turned out to be spot-on.

Fair enough.

No, there actually weren't at his position. Like Cope said, Shane Ray is worse than Dupree, and Randy Gregory has been a lost cause for a long time now.

Too injury-prone, yet he never missed a game in college. Turns out yes he was a china doll, but if that was your draft day assessment, then all you did was channel your inner Miss Cleo.

Did not like the pick, what a stunning example of in-depth analysis and insight. But the Steelers likely panicked a bit when their guy Jackson went off the board a pick earlier. I think quite a few people were surprised by the pick.

Another example of stunning insight and analysis. He needs to make more splash plays as a second round pick though.

JuJu & likely Moncrief will be ahead of him going into the season. And he's had an excellent camp by all reports. I look forward to visiting this one again in several months.

These were my thought on draft day.

Those were other's thoughts on draft day that you just regurgitated.

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
coach you went back and forth on a few of the picks you now claim to have hated, plus we could all list even more picks you hated that were way off.

but you trying to claim a Hall of Fame safety wasn't going to be any good because of his head being too big is your crown jewel.....

but this thread is about something else

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/top-3-things-to-know-from-day-7-at-bills-training-camp

Early in the red zone period, Oliver blew up a pair of linemen to penetrate into the backfield and force Matt Barkley off his spot. Rookie DE Darryl Johnson got the QB pressure on the play to force an incompletion.

Two plays later Oliver beat his lineman in a one-on-one situation and got pressure on Josh Allen before he wanted to get rid of the ball and hurried him into an incompletion.

A series later, Oliver had his play of the day. He used a stab move and knocked the opposing offensive lineman off balance sending him into the center’s legs who also fell on the play and affected the other guard who stumbled as a domino effect was unfolding. The play was effectively blown up from Oliver all on his own.

ark steel

Reaction score
Ive already shown where you praised Colbert cor taken Burns.

You thought Golson was injury prone due to his small size, even though he went thru college without injuries. And his injury had zero to do with his size.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
coach you went back and forth on a few of the picks you now claim to have hated, plus we could all list even more picks you hated that were way off.

but you trying to claim a Hall of Fame safety wasn't going to be any good because of his head being too big is your crown jewel.....

but this thread is about something else

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/top-3-things-to-know-from-day-7-at-bills-training-camp

Early in the red zone period, Oliver blew up a pair of linemen to penetrate into the backfield and force Matt Barkley off his spot. Rookie DE Darryl Johnson got the QB pressure on the play to force an incompletion.

Two plays later Oliver beat his lineman in a one-on-one situation and got pressure on Josh Allen before he wanted to get rid of the ball and hurried him into an incompletion.

A series later, Oliver had his play of the day. He used a stab move and knocked the opposing offensive lineman off balance sending him into the center’s legs who also fell on the play and affected the other guard who stumbled as a domino effect was unfolding. The play was effectively blown up from Oliver all on his own.

The BILLs took Ed Oliver to early in the draft.! Now the are paying for that problem.

Salute the nation

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Yep their OL will lose confidence in themselves and he has already knocked one of them into the QB and bruised his leg

Tragedy I'd say, MAYBE the STEELErS could do the right thing and find away to take that problem off their hands.?

Coolie, I've never watched Ed play live and never heard of him until that fateful day you first "pimped" him. Now I look for things about him and he is living up to all expectations. I'm glad for him and your Clarvoyant nature in this regards.

Nearly as amazing is a certain individual can't accept the inevitable.

Salute the nation

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
Tragedy I'd say, MAYBE the STEELErS could do the right thing and find away to take that problem off their hands.?

Coolie, I've never watched Ed play live and never heard of him until that fateful day you first "pimped" him. Now I look for things about him and he is living up to all expectations. I'm glad for him and your Clarvoyant nature in this regards.

Nearly as amazing is a certain individual can't accept the inevitable.

Salute the nation

Yeah, I was lucky enough to see his first game at UH in person, when he and the Cougars knocked off Oklahoma. It was clear from then that Oliver was a special player.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm NOT comparing the two other than the feeling of a special player. When Joey Porter came to the STEELERS I felt he was going to be something. He lived up to that billing in my eyes and I hope (see) Oliver will live to your billing for you (all of us) as well.

Salute the nation

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
I hope he turns into the player I think he can be and tears up the league (except when he plays the Steelers), but well, he won me the bet with an arrogant prick so anything from here on out is gravy.

Slaine

Still wants to trade Fu for a third
Forefather
Reaction score
I see that Coach has done his usual turn of disappearing from a thread when presented with facts. :rolleyes1:

DBS1970

I hate you all and I blame Ark for that.
Contributor
Reaction score
Coolie pimping a guy from Houston...

Who would could see that coming.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score

To quote coach Herb Brooks: "We're not looking for the best players, we're looking for the right ones."

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
We had a guy like coach in my early aircraft maintenance days. Dude always knew what was causing the problem on an aircraft.

Example, after the bird was fixed:

Him: It was the seal, just like I said wasn't it?

Me: No, the actual fitting was damaged.

Him: I told you!

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
so game one Ed played 3 series (9 plays) no tackles but he missed a sack on one third down play and on another play he was in the backfield but basically overran the RB...

he did push the OL back to the QB on this play

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Right we could have picked say OLB/Edge Sweat, and WR D.K. Metcalf, then kept our 3rd next year. Bush better he worth it. Just think of what Dupree might ask, Sweat could be better, and will be much cheaper over the next 5 years, for sure. I also liked Greedy Williams.

So how's Greedy Williams doing? I checked, 2 picks, one on Mayfield.

https://nflmocks.com/2019/07/26/cleveland-browns-greedy-williams-already-picking-off-baker-mayfield/

How's DK Metcalf doing? Looks like he's oof to a fast start too

https://12thmanrising.com/2019/07/30/seahawks-training-camp-d-k-metcalf/

Sweat isn't doing so bad either.

https://heavy.com/sports/2019/07/montez-sweat-is-making-his-presence-felt-in-redskins-training-camp/

We know, it's early.

if we had drafted ___________, you'd be whining that we didn't draft __________. Just as you do every ******* year, for every ******* pick.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
yes I know many of you don't care...but I don't give a ****.....

Coolie, giving and taking, provided it's with the right individual, could be fun................................. (do youy like my comma's)

Salute the nation

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
PS it's ONLY practice and that is still pretty disruptive for 9- 1st time ever NFL play. Like I said, I'd taken him, at ten nhad he sliped to there.

Salute the nation

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
and no I am not try to blow my horn....I'm blowing Ed Oliver's horn........uh wait that didn't come out right.....
vaseline fingers?

As for Washington, I am very very hopeful that he blows up this season and becomes a dangerous deep threat for the Steelers. However, I remember the reports from last years TC where he was leading the team in 'combat catches' only to turn into Mr. Dropsy when the games counted. It took most of the season for him to get his head on right.

I desperately hope he enters the season kicking *** and taking names. I think he's a very important component of the success of the offense.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
if we had drafted ___________, you'd be whining that we didn't draft __________. Just as you do every ******* year, for every ******* pick.

Nah. I say who I would have drafted and mention who I like

Greedy got a pick last night. DK Metcalf is stand our and is doing it vs a good Seahawks secondary.

Did I mention what I thought of the Washington pick?

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Nah. I say who I would have drafted and mention who I like

Greedy got a pick last night. DK Metcalf is stand our and is doing it vs a good Seahawks secondary.

Did I mention what I thought of the Washington pick?

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

Did you get dropped on your head as a kid?

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
so game one Ed played 3 series (9 plays) no tackles but he missed a sack on one third down play and on another play he was in the backfield but basically overran the RB...

he did push the OL back to the QB on this play

So in other words he didn't do anything. Not even an assisted tackle. DL players that think sack every play tend to over run people.

Getting tackles was a strong point of Oliver in college. Remember what I said, he's facing weak competition anymore.

Let's see if he can get one in his next pre-season game. I'll go out on a limb and say he will! Until then, former Steeler LT Walton had three tackles last night for the Bills.