• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Why does Ben Roethlisberger never get respect?

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score
He's a legendary qb, he passed elite a long, long time ago. I'd say by year 2.

His resume speaks for itself. The guy has been great on the stat sheet, but actually watching and marveling at the way he's played football is another thing IMO. There have been many of them, but the pass to Hines against Jacksonville in (I think) 2005 where he was draped with defenders and still threw a strike ranks up there on the all-time "wow" plays. Even Jack Del Rio was stunned when he was asked about the play. There are so many others, it's actually hard to count them.

He's an all-time great football player and I feel lucky to have watched him from his first snap against Baltimore to the current day.

Steelmann

Reaction score
If not for TE Broncos circumventing the Cap - or Terrell Davis - Elway’s playoff record would have been 5-8.

The Drive vs. a Browns Defense that other than its secondary—absolutely sucked—and went into full prevent D mode, his legacy would be 100% different
Ahhhh the old would have game. Well if Antwaan wouldn’t have lofted that beautiful pass to Hines,Willie run for that 75 yarder there’s no doubt they would have lost against Seattle. If you remember Ben was going at an incredible 9-21 for 123. 2 int. Zero tds. 22.6 rating. Might have effected his legacy? Ya think?

I just rewatched the GB- Steelers game for the first time. Ben was average at best. The 2 int’s man. That pick 6.
And still. He could have cemented his legacy. All the time in the world for the dream drive. That might have been the worst 2 minute drive in SB history. Not all on Ben of course. But he didn’t exactly rise to the top.

Many people might say if James hadn’t made one of the most remarkable plays in SB history the Steelers might not have won. Of course Ben and Santonio hooked up in the best pass/catch in the history of all SB’s.I remember mostly the stalled drives. Short FG’s not punching it in. I definitely remember being nervous about a game that really the Steelers should have kicked *** in.

So the OP talks about the lack of respect for Ben. I think it’s because he just hasn’t dominated in huge games,and has been very inconsistent. I am not saying he hasn’t had great games. Far from it. But he has had many stinker prime time games. Especially of late. The OP talks about no MVP votes. All the people remember are the “16 int’s”. Well I remember the int’s too. Some of the most bone headed prime time passes ever. Rivals Brett.

The Op mentions the last Cleveland game. About all Ben’s yards after giving the ******* Browns a 28-0 lead on 4 int’s. Gee over 500 yards. Seriously. Outscoring them in the second half such an incredible effort. Insulting all Steelers fans intelligence. You’d have to be a frigging dildo not to see the Browns were giving all those yards away in prevent. Certainly not all on Ben. Our D and coaching take the blame. But if you think the national media is going to instill respect for Ben after that game,I just don’t know. Along with the total collapse of the last part of the season along with the one 2 years previous. This is all part of the lack of respect. Some definitely warranted.

The OP mentions it’s a “what have you done lately league”. Your darn right it is. One of the worst written articles I have read on Steeler Nation.

Flame on.

Stewey

Reaction score
Ahhhh the old would have game. Well if Antwaan wouldn’t have lofted that beautiful pass to Hines,Willie run for that 75 yarder there’s no doubt they would have lost against Seattle. If you remember Ben was going at an incredible 9-21 for 123. 2 int. Zero tds. 22.6 rating. Might have effected his legacy? Ya think?

I just rewatched the GB- Steelers game for the first time. Ben was average at best. The 2 int’s man. That pick 6.
And still. He could have cemented his legacy. All the time in the world for the dream drive. That might have been the worst 2 minute drive in SB history. Not all on Ben of course. But he didn’t exactly rise to the top.

Many people might say if James hadn’t made one of the most remarkable plays in SB history the Steelers might not have won. Of course Ben and Santonio hooked up in the best pass/catch in the history of all SB’s.I remember mostly the stalled drives. Short FG’s not punching it in. I definitely remember being nervous about a game that really the Steelers should have kicked *** in.

So the OP talks about the lack of respect for Ben. I think it’s because he just hasn’t dominated in huge games,and has been very inconsistent. I am not saying he hasn’t had great games. Far from it. But he has had many stinker prime time games. Especially of late. The OP talks about no MVP votes. All the people remember are the “16 int’s”. Well I remember the int’s too. Some of the most bone headed prime time passes ever. Rivals Brett.

The Op mentions the last Cleveland game. About all Ben’s yards after giving the ******* Browns a 28-0 lead on 4 int’s. Gee over 500 yards. Seriously. Outscoring them in the second half such an incredible effort. Insulting all Steelers fans intelligence. You’d have to be a frigging dildo not to see the Browns were giving all those yards away in prevent. Certainly not all on Ben. Our D and coaching take the blame. But if you think the national media is going to instill respect for Ben after that game,I just don’t know. Along with the total collapse of the last part of the season along with the one 2 years previous. This is all part of the lack of respect. Some definitely warranted.

The OP mentions it’s a “what have you done lately league”. Your darn right it is. One of the worst written articles I have read on Steeler Nation.

Flame on.
And your post is one of the best written ones.

black and gold apex

Reaction score
Ben has been the scapegoat on the Steelers team for some time now. He has taken the blame for way more than he deserves. Just under Tomlin how many times has Ben stepped up compared to Tomlin or any other coach for that matter, saying something was his fault. Don't even talk about one other player doing the same. Other players in the league get negative talk they are on some ESPN lame talk show saying why it was not them. He should be a first time HOF for sure but watch and see how he is treated.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
That 2008 Oline, was probably the worst to ever win a Super Bowl, Brady or Manning wouldn't have been able to drag the Oline to a Super Bowl win, the 2010 Oline was just as bad.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I was talking about that play, the image that sticks in my mind is the still frame at the end of the play. After rewatching the play several times I admit being a bit harsh, thanks for finally prompting me to rewatch any of that horrid game.

After rewatching he did not “stand over the ball”. He lumbered down the field having the inside track to it allowing Connor to do the dirty work. If he’s going to loaf back to the ball at least do it in the way of the oncoming Cleveland LB so as to slow his progress and impede him a bit. He had zero desire to get dirty in any way shape or form on that play though. Several ways he could’ve played it better...but not as bad as I remember it...admittedly the bucket of suck he and the Steelers uncorked to begin that game has made it real hard to go back and rewatch, once was more than enough.

my bad
Well, I guess you're going to see it as you see it and I'm going to see it as I do. I see Ben and Conner moving back to the ball and I see Ben look at Conner and Conner give body language that suggests to me that they both felt Conner was the better option going for the ball. From what I see, it seems pretty clear that a decision was made by both guys to let Conner get the ball. Conner just missed it. Why he tried to overshoot and grab it from behind, I don't know. Perhaps he was trying to ensure his body didn't roll into the endzone for a safety.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

Flame on.
You're right dude. Bring back Landry!

Steelmann

Reaction score
You're right dude. Bring back Landry!
What a stupid comment. I simply laid out why I thought the media doesn’t give Ben absolute respect. You don’t agree that’s fine. As I said Ben has had a ton of great games,and some not so great.

Now I guess it’s time to cue up the remember the Tommy,Bubby,Kordel crowd. Oh and Landry.
And how we will be in the dark ages for the next 20 years after Ben goes.

mightyguru

On a cloud...
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
His resume speaks for itself. The guy has been great on the stat sheet, but actually watching and marveling at the way he's played football is another thing IMO. There have been many of them, but the pass to Hines against Jacksonville in (I think) 2005 where he was draped with defenders and still threw a strike ranks up there on the all-time "wow" plays. Even Jack Del Rio was stunned when he was asked about the play. There are so many others, it's actually hard to count them.

He's an all-time great football player and I feel lucky to have watched him from his first snap against Baltimore to the current day.
I was at that game (along with 30K Steeler Nation). Sunday night game in Jax. That play was insane...Steeler Nation ERUPTED. Definitely one of Big Ben's show-stoppers.

mightyguru

On a cloud...
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
That 2008 Oline, was probably the worst to ever win a Super Bowl, Brady or Manning wouldn't have been able to drag the Oline to a Super Bowl win, the 2010 Oline was just as bad.
Our best O-lineman was a Rookie (Pouncey) and he got hurt and missed the Superb Owl. Still stings so bad.

Reaction score
Answer: Because of his first 5-6 years in the league. He was an *** and success went to his head. He was accused of rape and people convicted him without any proof, because there wasn't any. He has done enough in the last 10+ years to regain the respect but it hasn't come. He's not a media darling like douchebag Rodgers or Cheater Brady. His top 10 plays rival any QB in history. His top 10 games rival any in history. He hasn't had a great game in any Super Bowl and that unfortunately holds a lot of weight to the media, even though he had one of the greatest game-winning drives in SB history. I think a big reason he doesn't get much respect is the media bias against the Steelers. He's a first ballet HOF'er no question

mdk2

Reaction score

Flame on.
And what about the games leading up to Ben's first SB. Did he do anything in those games? By the way, STILL the youngest QB to ever win a Superbowl. I don't give a damn if he played terrible, he still did enough to win or not to lose.

What if Vinatieri or Ghostkowski didn't make all those FGs for Brady in his career? Ben has won A LOT more games for the team than loss and that's not even debatable.

"Many people might say if James hadn't made one of the most remarkable plays in SB history the Steelers might not have won," I can name a ton of players in any SB where you can point to "what ifs." For example, what if Falcons didn't blow a massive lead to Patriots, what if Seahawks didn't pass the ball from the 1 yard line to win the game?

You can't point to a play in the 1st half and say that determined the outcome of the game no matter how great it was. The fact of the matter is that Ben threw one of the most clutch and perfect passes in SB history. Also, not once but twice. Let's not forget, the first TD went right through Santonio's hands.

Ben deserves a lot more respect when it comes to top QBs of this generation. Anyone saying he doesn't is just clueless or a hater.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
What a stupid comment. I simply laid out why I thought the media doesn’t give Ben absolute respect. You don’t agree that’s fine. As I said Ben has had a ton of great games,and some not so great.

Now I guess it’s time to cue up the remember the Tommy,Bubby,Kordel crowd. Oh and Landry.
And how we will be in the dark ages for the next 20 years after Ben goes.
I was just kidding man, and I'm one of the few folks who thinks Kordell wasn't quite as bad as we collectively remember him. But I do think the Steelers will be in the dark ages for quite awhile after Ben retires.

Take it easy man.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
And what about the games leading up to Ben's first SB. Did he do anything in those games? By the way, STILL the youngest QB to ever win a Superbowl. I don't give a damn if he played terrible, he still did enough to win or not to lose.

What if Vinatieri or Ghostkowski didn't make all those FGs for Brady in his career? Ben has won A LOT more games for the team than loss and that's not even debatable.

"Many people might say if James hadn't made one of the most remarkable plays in SB history the Steelers might not have won," I can name a ton of players in any SB where you can point to "what ifs." For example, what if Falcons didn't blow a massive lead to Patriots, what if Seahawks didn't pass the ball from the 1 yard line to win the game?

You can't point to a play in the 1st half and say that determined the outcome of the game no matter how great it was. The fact of the matter is that Ben threw one of the most clutch and perfect passes in SB history. Also, not once but twice. Let's not forget, the first TD went right through Santonio's hands.

Ben deserves a lot more respect when it comes to top QBs of this generation. Anyone saying he doesn't is just clueless or a hater.
Don't forget if Dee Ford, I believe it was, wasn't lined up on the LOS not having anything to do with the play, Brady threw a pick that would've ended that AFCCG in KC and NE never even makes the Super Bowl to beat the Rams a few years ago.

Steelmann

Reaction score

If you read my post it was in response to another regarding the” what if” I was being sarcastic. Anybody can play the what if scenario. It’s not as fun when it’s played against your own team. You seemed to like the what if scenario in your response. As some others do also. Which of course I find ridiculous

And as I pointed out,was merely putting down my thoughts to the original question of why I thought Ben doesn’t get the respect from the national media... ........

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I think there are quite a few people outside Steeler fandom who look at the players around Ben and say, well with THAT guy anyone can win.

Many of us here understand that a great number of those players were at their best with Ben throwing them the ball and after they moved on the grass was almost never greener. AB is probably the one exception and A) he truly is a ridiculously talented receiver if an awful human being and B) he had to go to the cheater's team and get basically every beneficial perk of being on "The Chosen One's" team to get his tainted ******* ring. (P.S. I hate Tom Brady with the heat of a 1000 suns.)

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
If you read my post it was in response to another regarding the” what if” I was being sarcastic. Anybody can play the what if scenario. It’s not as fun when it’s played against your own team. You seemed to like the what if scenario in your response. As some others do also. Which of course I find ridiculous

And as I pointed out,was merely putting down my thoughts to the original question of why I thought Ben doesn’t get the respect from the national media... ........
Yes, as you pointed out, Ben had a 22.6 rating in Super Bowl XL. Yet he still compiled an overall 101.7 rating for the playoffs in 2005, including that game, because of how well he played in the three road contests the Steelers won to get there. Along the way, Ben also happened to save the legacy of Jerome Bettis after the Bus fumbled on the 2-yard line against Peyton Manning and the Colts. Wasn't the national media there for those huge games, too?

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score
On a little side note:

iu

Steelmann

Reaction score
Yes, as you pointed out, Ben had a 22.6 rating in Super Bowl XL. Yet he still compiled an overall 101.7 rating for the playoffs in 2005, including that game, because of how well he played in the three road contests the Steelers won to get there. Along the way, Ben also happened to save the legacy of Jerome Bettis after the Bus fumbled on the 2-yard line against Peyton Manning and the Colts. Wasn't the national media there for those huge games, too?
Well my good man you are not going to get an argument from me. The games Pittsburgh played to get to the SB were probably the proudest moments of my Steelers fandom. The Indi game might have been my favorite game in Steelers history. It had it all. From a great game plan,to great execution. Troy being Troy. It had heart pumping near tragedy.....it had it all. And yes Ben was great.

I don’t think I have ever seen a QB play worse in a SB then that Seattle game. We won that ONE game in spite of Ben. If you don’t agree,that’s life. I suggest you rewatch it.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
Well my good man you are not going to get an argument from me. The games Pittsburgh played to get to the SB were probably the proudest moments of my Steelers fandom. The Indi game might have been my favorite game in Steelers history. It had it all. From a great game plan,to great execution. Troy being Troy. It had heart pumping near tragedy.....it had it all. And yes Ben was great.

I don’t think I have ever seen a QB play worse in a SB then that Seattle game. We won that ONE game in spite of Ben. If you don’t agree,that’s life. I suggest you rewatch it.
Then you must not have seen SB 12, in which Craig Morton was 4-15 for 39 yards and 4 interceptions. Or SB 35, in which Kerry Collins was 15-39 for 112 yards and 4 interceptions. Or SB 9, in which Fran Tarkenton was 11-26 for 102 yards and 3 interceptions. Or SB 24, in which John Elway was 10-26 for 108 yards with a fumble and 2 interceptions. Or...well, you get the picture.

You're probably right: The Steelers won SB 40 in spite of Ben. But I'll tell you what...they for damn sure wouldn't have won SB 43 without him.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Ben has been the scapegoat on the Steelers team for some time now. He has taken the blame for way more than he deserves. Just under Tomlin how many times has Ben stepped up compared to Tomlin or any other coach for that matter, saying something was his fault. Don't even talk about one other player doing the same. Other players in the league get negative talk they are on some ESPN lame talk show saying why it was not them. He should be a first time HOF for sure but watch and see how he is treated.

EXCELLENT POST.!!!

****/chyt/shyite,...... several here blame him (BEN) for much much more than he is guilty of. I can't even remember a time SBWHCMVLT has ever taken responsibility as an individual for something so obviously his fault.

There is no substitut for BEN on or off the field.

Salute the nation

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

t*mmyb*y and Payton would have been out of football doing their "Life's Work" had they played behind that line. Not even a chance they go to the SB.

Salute the nation

mdk2

Reaction score
Then you must not have seen SB 12, in which Craig Morton was 4-15 for 39 yards and 4 interceptions. Or SB 35, in which Kerry Collins was 15-39 for 112 yards and 4 interceptions. Or SB 9, in which Fran Tarkenton was 11-26 for 102 yards and 3 interceptions. Or SB 24, in which John Elway was 10-26 for 108 yards with a fumble and 2 interceptions. Or...well, you get the picture.

You're probably right: The Steelers won SB 40 in spite of Ben. But I'll tell you what...they for damn sure wouldn't have won SB 43 without him.
They sure as hell wouldn't have even made it to SB 40 without Ben either.

alancac98

Reaction score
I know it's already been said, but three words:

Accusations of rape.

The other stuff, being a dick or not being the best teammate at times - just others ways to hate on the guy for the above. I mean look at Aaron Rodgers, his picture should be in the dictionary next to the word "dick" and bad teammate.

The circumstances surrounding both incidents, we diehard fans know better than the average schmoe - but unfortunately it's going to stay with him for the rest of his life. We know we've witnessed one of the all-time greats IMO. And pretty remarkable how he turned his off-the-field around so kudos to him.

I just really hope it doesn't ruin his chances for the HOF because he deserves his named enshrined next to the best who've ever played.

You are right, unfortunately. It will be interesting if Deshaun Watson receives that same fate! Watson has 22 accusations against him, Ben had 2, yet the NFL is still "investigating"! Hell, they handed Ben a 4 game ban in what seemed to be little time. If two allegations cost Ben his standing reputation that follow him is entire career, shouldn't 22 accusations cost Watson his career completely? It won't though and I will wager that Watson will not be suspended a single game as the NFL will state that there was no conclusive evidence that Watson did anything wrong - it was he said/she said!

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score
Deshaun Watson has 22 accusations!?

Okay, there's something seriously wrong here.