• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Why does Ben Roethlisberger never get respect?

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Elway was great at coming back after sucking for most of a game. He didn't win anything until the end of his career.

Badcat

Zero Foxtrot Golf
Reaction score
The super bowl against GB would have gone MUCH differently had Kemo not been bullrushed directly into Ben's lap resulting in a pick 6.
I thought it was Hartwig that was pushed off the line like a ragdoll. I'll have to go back and watch the highlights

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
This will likely be an unpopular opinion around these parts BUT what the hell its Monday morning haha

I’ve loved Ben his entire career, even semi-defended him in his youth as he was making poor decisions and putting himself in bad spots with the ladies/media
Still loved him through this, although lost a little respect for him at that point.
He then spent years regaining trust/respect as he seemed to put his life back on track

UNTIL the big respect loss for me occurred when he stood staring at a live ball on the grass waiting for someone else to make a move on it...that was a big loss of respect for me. If you are mentally that clocked out it’s cool, but ya need to ride off in the sunset and RETIRE if that’s where your head is at when in an elimination game. Give someone else a shot who cares enough to play in all situations. I certainly can’t imagine Hines, Bettis, James, Troy or any of the past greats of the 70s having that attitude.

That play stung hard for me. This year though I do give him a clean slate to make that last run and prove me wrong that he is mentally clocked out, hopefully he learned from that decision as he seemed to from many of his other poor decisions earlier in his life/career.

Best of luck rebuilding the trust 7 as we hopefully go for 7!

Stewey

Reaction score
There has been so much debate out there on whether or not Ben is an elite qb.

My thought is if being elite must become a subject of debate then he's not elite.

Being "elite" should be glaring, obvious, a no-brainer. Not debatable. As glaring as water is wet.

My second thought points to the title of this thread. Questioning Bens eliteness is just a reflection of him getting no respect.
There seems to be a general dislike for him.
And for the record, I do believe Ben has earned a spot among the elite QB's.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
UNTIL the big respect loss for me occurred when he stood staring at a live ball on the grass waiting for someone else to make a move on it.
I don't remember this play. What game was this in? The way you described it, I'm seeing Cam Newton in the SB, but I don't ever remember Ben doing that. Can you clarify, please?

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
This will likely be an unpopular opinion around these parts BUT what the hell its Monday morning haha

I’ve loved Ben his entire career, even semi-defended him in his youth as he was making poor decisions and putting himself in bad spots with the ladies/media
Still loved him through this, although lost a little respect for him at that point.
He then spent years regaining trust/respect as he seemed to put his life back on track

UNTIL the big respect loss for me occurred when he stood staring at a live ball on the grass waiting for someone else to make a move on it...that was a big loss of respect for me. If you are mentally that clocked out it’s cool, but ya need to ride off in the sunset and RETIRE if that’s where your head is at when in an elimination game. Give someone else a shot who cares enough to play in all situations. I certainly can’t imagine Hines, Bettis, James, Troy or any of the past greats of the 70s having that attitude.

That play stung hard for me. This year though I do give him a clean slate to make that last run and prove me wrong that he is mentally clocked out, hopefully he learned from that decision as he seemed to from many of his other poor decisions earlier in his life/career.

Best of luck rebuilding the trust 7 as we hopefully go for 7!

I realize that he didn't look good on that particular play. Could have been many factors involved but no excuse for not trying harder to fall on the ball.

I want him clocked, dialed or digital, LOCKED in for #7 by #7....!!!

Salute the nation

Last edited:

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't remember this play. What game was this in? The way you described it, I'm seeing Cam Newton in the SB, but I don't ever remember Ben doing that. Can you clarify, please?

20' playoff game against cleveland

Salute the nation

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
When the ball went way over his head and his first thought was probably.... what the **** just happened?

Guess I'll have to force myself to watch that again.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
That play still sticks out in my mind. Brady doesn't miss that pass. Any QB considered "elite" doesn't miss that pass. Sigh.
you might want to go back and watch a few of the AFCCG losses by NE, Brady missed on several easy passes, one where he had Welker over the middle for an 8 yard first down and over threw him. Yes he should've hit that pass, but to say Brady wouldn't miss it is not true, how about 2005, NE near the Denver goal line in the 3rd qtr about to take the lead and Brady throws a horrible pick to Champ who returns it to the 1 yard line.

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
Ben has had some stinkers in his last couple playoff games. Jacksonville, he ******* sucked. v the Clowns he **** the bed early although the bad snap didn't help matters either.

I hope he can finish his career here on a strong note with another Lombardi. Never would have thought after the first couple seasons he started that he would still be stuck on 2 championships.

Frosty

Reaction score
I know it's already been said, but three words:

Accusations of rape.

The other stuff, being a dick or not being the best teammate at times - just others ways to hate on the guy for the above. I mean look at Aaron Rodgers, his picture should be in the dictionary next to the word "dick" and bad teammate.

The circumstances surrounding both incidents, we diehard fans know better than the average schmoe - but unfortunately it's going to stay with him for the rest of his life. We know we've witnessed one of the all-time greats IMO. And pretty remarkable how he turned his off-the-field around so kudos to him.

I just really hope it doesn't ruin his chances for the HOF because he deserves his named enshrined next to the best who've ever played.
This is 99.9% of the reason. Unfortunately, we live in an era where the truth is a distant second to the accusation.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
UNTIL the big respect loss for me occurred when he stood staring at a live ball on the grass waiting for someone else to make a move on it...that was a big loss of respect for me..
There's no way you're talking about this play because that isn't what happened at all. Conner was already diving for the ball and overshot it.

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score
There's no way you're talking about this play because that isn't what happened at all. Conner was already diving for the ball and overshot it.

You can even see Conner gesture to Ben "sorry Ben, I thought I had it". Ben has been a warrior his entire career and you're going to use that as "big respect loss" for the guy?

What planet are you on?

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
First impressions last. I think Ben's first impression with the media was not a good one. And he kept that going for a considerable amount of time. Unless he is incredibly proficient at having two faces, it is hard to believe they wouldn't move on by now. He has been pretty much a model leader, gracious to the media for like almost a decade. One thing you have to remember is that despite his play, he never even gets MVP nods from his teammates. I'd say Ben is quite lucky that Eli Manning will be up for HOF consideration before him. It would look so jackass to put Manning in and not Ben that the Media might just have to suck it up and put him first Ballot.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
Ben has had some stinkers in his last couple playoff games. Jacksonville, he ******* sucked. v the Clowns he **** the bed early although the bad snap didn't help matters either.

I hope he can finish his career here on a strong note with another Lombardi. Never would have thought after the first couple seasons he started that he would still be stuck on 2 championships.

I wouldn't say that Ben "******* sucked" against Jacksonville. Sure, he had a fumble returned for a touchdown and an interception, but he also threw for 469 yards and 5 TDs against the #1 passing defense in the league in 2017. You know who ******* sucked in that game? The Steelers' own defense, which allowed 4 drives of 60+ yards to an offense led by Blake Bortles.

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score

I was talking about that play, the image that sticks in my mind is the still frame at the end of the play. After rewatching the play several times I admit being a bit harsh, thanks for finally prompting me to rewatch any of that horrid game.

After rewatching he did not “stand over the ball”. He lumbered down the field having the inside track to it allowing Connor to do the dirty work. If he’s going to loaf back to the ball at least do it in the way of the oncoming Cleveland LB so as to slow his progress and impede him a bit. He had zero desire to get dirty in any way shape or form on that play though. Several ways he could’ve played it better...but not as bad as I remember it...admittedly the bucket of suck he and the Steelers uncorked to begin that game has made it real hard to go back and rewatch, once was more than enough.

my bad

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
That play is 99%, if not 100% on Pouncey and maybe 1% on Conner for not grabbing it. If Ben would have dived at it, he would have guaranteed Conner (and he himself) would have had no chance to get it as they both would have slammed into each other. Some people whine about things that just aren't true. The replay shows it all. Watch it. And, put the blame on Pouncey where it belongs. Pouncey sucked in that game and not just on that play.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
That play is 99%, if not 100% on Pouncey and maybe 1% on Conner for not grabbing it. If Ben would have dived at it, he would have guaranteed Conner (and he himself) would have had no chance to get it as they both would have slammed into each other. Some people whine about things that just aren't true. The replay shows it all. Watch it. And, put the blame on Pouncey where it belongs. Pouncey sucked in that game and not just on that play.
And Conner is right there, the RB is the guy you want jumping on the ball, not your QB. If Conner wasn't there, does anyone honestly think Ben wouldn't jump on that ball, if anyone thinks that, they haven't been watching the past 17 years.

FSF

The Agile Financial
Reaction score
Elway was great at coming back after sucking for most of a game. He didn't win anything until the end of his career.
I can’t agree with this.

He was a beast of a talent. If he were taking snaps with Dermontti Dawson under center on 1994-97, there’d be 2 Super Bowls for sure

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I can’t agree with this.

He was a beast of a talent. If he were taking snaps with Dermontti Dawson under center on 1994-97, there’d be 2 Super Bowls for sure
could say the same for Jim Kelly. Elway was pretty good and had good talent around him along with an exceptional coach.

BEN ROETHLISBERGER in y opinion is better.

Salute the nation

FSF

The Agile Financial
Reaction score
could say the same for Jim Kelly. Elway was pretty good and had good talent around him along with an exceptional coach.

BEN ROETHLISBERGER in y opinion is better.

Salute the nation
I think they are in the same “category” in All-Time best. Ben modeled his game after Elway down to the #7.

Think is, when he was drafted, Elway was far and away the most clear cut #1 overall pick since Bradshaw.

goes full circle

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
PS

A-N-D

Put Ben Roethlisberger on those same years and you end up with minimum of at least 2 SBs as well.

Salute the nation