• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Which of the below best describes Tomlin to you?

Which of the below best describes Tomlin to you?

• He's a below average head coach, 5-12 in his last 17 games vs teams with losing records.

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Average. He won with Cowher's best players 1-3 in his last four playoff games

Votes: 10 45.5%
  • He's one of the ten best above coaches. Never had a losing season.

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • He's a great coach.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
#2 for me. Not as bad as most here say and not as good as most NFL players and experts say. We are just really spoiled fans, we expect perfection that will never change. If this was the 70's some of us would have bitched when we didn't win 6 in a row. My issue yesterday was how such a poorly coached team ( quote from other posters) can play like **** for all but 10 minutes of a game and then look all world the last 10 minutes. They are pros for Christ sake.

hummmm maybe they're not put in the right position to succeed

as a solid head coach does, guides his teams to wins thru preparation, game adjustments, and solid player assessments...Benches players when needed, doesn't play others when needed.

Identifies a problem and fixes it.

SCSteeler4life

Contributor
Reaction score
hummmm maybe they're not put in the right position to succeed

as a solid head coach does, guides his teams to wins thru preparation, game adjustments, and solid player assessments...Benches players when needed, doesn't play others when needed.

Identifies a problem and fixes it.

I didn't see anybody switch positions in the last 10 minutes. The guys **** the bed for a whole game until the last 10 minutes. That's my opinion. I don't need yours.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
I didn't see anybody switch positions in the last 10 minutes. The guys **** the bed for a whole game until the last 10 minutes. That's my opinion. I don't need yours.

hahahah funny

still hanging your nuts on this one game are you? the other 17 times the Steelers **** the bed against inferior teams, what was your ****** opinion then?

Omar10213245

πŸ‘€πŸ‘‚πŸŽƒπŸˆπŸ‡πŸ₯‘πŸ†πŸ‹πŸͺ‚πŸŒžπŸŒ›πŸŒœβ˜‚β˜”β„πŸŒŠπŸ₯΄πŸ€¬πŸ₯Ί
Contributor
Reaction score
Who do you think is better beside Belechik? Be sure you check the records.

Pete Carroll
Gary Kubiak
Dan Quinn
Sean Payton
Tom Coughlin
Jack Del Rio
Mike Zimmer

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Whether you like Tomlin or dislike him, please tell me the 10 coaches you put ahead of him. The list is pretty awful right now.

Omar10213245

πŸ‘€πŸ‘‚πŸŽƒπŸˆπŸ‡πŸ₯‘πŸ†πŸ‹πŸͺ‚πŸŒžπŸŒ›πŸŒœβ˜‚β˜”β„πŸŒŠπŸ₯΄πŸ€¬πŸ₯Ί
Contributor
Reaction score
Whether you like Tomlin or dislike him, please tell me the 10 coaches you put ahead of him. The list is pretty awful right now.

Who's to say new coaching candidates dont emerge pretty much every other year? I mean ****, who was talking about tom herman in the college ranks two yrs ago? Its foolish logic to say, "well, there are a lot of blah coaches in the league right now, so lets continue to sit on our blah coach and not make that leap of faith to get better"

Remember, this is not tomlin's 2nd, or even 3rd season...this is his 10th season. TENTH

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
Tomlin is the GREATEST coach the Steelers have ever had........since Cowher retired

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Who's to say new coaching candidates dont emerge pretty much every other year? I mean ****, who was talking about tom herman in the college ranks two yrs ago? Its foolish logic to say, "well, there are a lot of blah coaches in the league right now, so lets continue to sit on our blah coach and not make that leap of faith to get better"

Remember, this is not tomlin's 2nd, or even 3rd season...this is his 10th season. TENTH

We are comparing current NFL head coaches, not guys who may be in the league a decade from now.

Steeler Pride

Bourbon Connoisseur
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
We are comparing current NFL head coaches, not guys who may be in the league a decade from now.

Why does it have to be a current NFL head coach? A good coach is a good coach. I don't care if he is in the college level, a position coach in the NFL, or a coordinator in the NFL.

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

Look, this line of reasoning - and we see it a lot - is just nonsense. Specifically, who the @#$% had even heard of Mike freaking Tomlin as of November of 2006? Nobody. Yet now he is among the top 10 in the NFL??

Whaaaaaaa ...?

I don't get to interview head coaching candidates, and see how they plan on improving the team, or get a chance to view the plans the coaches put into effect with their current teams. The Steelers do.

This entire line of discussion would not be in issue of Mike Tomlin teams did not routinely, repeatedly, reduntantly lose to inferior competition, and are looking like yet another .500 season is on the way. Ben Roethlisberger's effective play has a short fuse at this point, and we are going to watch a bad coach get bad results, and win juuuuuust enough to avoid getting fired and avoid getting the Steelers a decent draft pick.

Then Ben retires, and we see how good Mike freaking Tomlin is. Hint: Get ready for some kick-*** draft picks.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
Not proactive. And reactive long after the fact.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
you don't keep a head coach just because you are unsure of who to hire......

There is always hot D and O coordinators that are itching for a opportunity

you find the best candidate and give them a chance..

I would rather chance greatness than stick with mediocre...........

Black & Gold Bleeder

Forefather
Reaction score
Which Best describes Coach to you ?

Choice 1 He is a below the line poster , Who likes starting a million threads just to see his creations

Choice 2 He is a very good poster full of so much knowledge that he just always needs to get it out there.If it means a million threads so be it.

Choice 3 He was right Troy's head was just too damn big

Choice 4 Coach ....Coach....Coach....

I'm going with 1. He could be a regular poster.. but his being an attention ***** spoils it.

Black & Gold Bleeder

Forefather
Reaction score
Who do you think is better beside Belechik? Be sure you check the records.

I would take Doug Pederson. Kicked our pansy ***, who have a coach who has been here over 8 years. A franchise QB and the best WR And RB combo. And that , after jettisoning all the previous coaches draft picks and players they traded for.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Regarding the tipping point comment, let me explain. If the team does not make the playoffs, some major decisions by ownership will have to me made.

The Steelers will have only won one playoff game since January 2012. That's way too long and to hope for a win on January 2018. And the game we won was gift wrapped curiosity of the stupidity of the Cinicnattio Bengals.

So issue #1 is what value adds if any does Tomlin bring to the table. Why do his team lose so often to .500 and below teams? 1 or 2 wins is huge in the NFL. It could mean the playoffs one year, or even home field during the playoffs on another...but we blow those chances.

Might a new coach, better suited on X's and O's benefit the team. Coaches over time can wear out, especially if they aren't winning. In Tomlin's case, he has a HOF QB, and All pro's at RB, WR, plus a good OL. While the defense is at a low tide, it can be fixed in free agency and the draft.

Issue #2. 20 million in cap space. Do we re-sign Bell? Can Bryant pass a Drug test? With Harrison retiring we need another OLB. And with Green looking like damaged goods from Mini-camp, a Tight End is a major need as well. Add an NT/DT who can stuff the run and push the pocket to the shopping list as well.

Issue #3. Time. Ben will not play as long as Brady or Manning. His style of play takes more hits, so we need to change now while he's still playing well. Once he goes, we are .500 type of team.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Pete Carroll
Gary Kubiak
Dan Quinn
Sean Payton
Tom Coughlin
Jack Del Rio
Mike Zimmer

I'd add Andy Reid. He never had a great QB, but his teams overachieve. Imagine him working with our offense. Oh what potential.

Adam Gase might rate soon. He's close to turning around a team that has been floundering for about a decade.

If he wants to do it, I still think Cowher's sharp enough. If Cowher came back and the team made another super bowl, reserve some wall space in Canton.