• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Which of the below best describes Tomlin to you?

• He's a below average head coach, 5-12 in his last 17 games vs teams with losing records.

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Average. He won with Cowher's best players 1-3 in his last four playoff games

Votes: 10 45.5%
  • He's one of the ten best above coaches. Never had a losing season.

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • He's a great coach.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score

Choice 1 ) He's a below average head coach, 5-12 in his last 17 games vs teams with losing records. Without Ben, he'd be fired.

Choice 2 ) He's an average coach who won with Cowher's best players and still has Ben. However, since 2010 he's 1-3 in his last four playoff games and missed the playoffs twice only winning the division once.

Choice 3 ) He's one of the ten best above coaches in the NFL. Never had a losing season.

Choice 4 ) He's a great coach.

Last edited:

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
one is the only numberrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

black and gold apex

Reaction score
#2 for me, Cowers may not have been the best coach but he did have the players play with some emotion and physicality. Proof look at Harrison yesterday, I know all blame Ben but I give him a check mark for trying to get a touchdown against a team that wants to hit ben and dived for the end zone.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score

no doubt.

thing is if some fans give him a pass and say pick number 2, average with a franchise QB, elite WR,and elite RB, just isn't good enough

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
If you have a very good QB, but are well below .500 against losing teams, then you are a bad coach. I have wavered on Tomlin, particularly the 2013 team where he finished with a .500 record after starting 0-4 and 2-6. I thought that he deserved kudos for keeping the team motivated.

Now I just think he is unprepared, not ready for the significant challenges in coaching the NFL, seems shocked at basic approaches the bad guys take ("I never expected them to throw the ball 20 straight times"), and loses vastly more games to inferior opponents than can be explained away or justified.

He is just not a good coach.

And the real problem is that the Steelers are not going to fire him after a 7-9 season, or 8-8 season, or three straight 8-8 seasons. We are stuck with a bad coach who gets pretty much the minimum from his team.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score

xjx

Reaction score
Choice #1. He has been head coach for 10 years and hasn't really done much, always gets beat by bad teams.

LeXX75

Contributor
Reaction score
Which Best describes Coach to you ?

Choice 1 He is a below the line poster , Who likes starting a million threads just to see his creations

Choice 2 He is a very good poster full of so much knowledge that he just always needs to get it out there.If it means a million threads so be it.

Choice 3 He was right Troy's head was just too damn big

Choice 4 Coach ....Coach....Coach....

DBS1970

I hate you all and I blame Ark for that.
Contributor
Reaction score
Mr Tomlin is about average.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Which Best describes Coach to you ?

Choice 1 He is a below the line poster , Who likes starting a million threads just to see his creations

Choice 2 He is a very good poster full of so much knowledge that he just always needs to get it out there.If it means a million threads so be it.

Choice 3 He was right Troy's head was just too damn big

Choice 4 Coach ....Coach....Coach....

decisions decisions

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
He's one of the ten best above coaches. Never had a losing season

who picked this one lol

please tell

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
what is your point

keep Tomlin?

That option one is stupid. You are hard pressed to find a great coach who didn't have a great QB..and when they went else where or didn't have that great QB anymore they weren't nearly as successful.

Last edited:

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
who picked this one lol

please tell

I picked average, and the average head coach lasts about 4-5 seasons. I do not see the playoffs right now, and if we lose to Dallas, odds are it won't happen.

Troglodyte

Reaction score
He was between 2 and 3 earlier in his career and has now slipped between 1 and 2.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
That option one is stupid. You are hard pressed to find a great coach who didn't have a great QB..and when they went else where or didn't have that great QB anymore they weren't nearly as successful.

you really undervalue good coaches........

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Like I said before im consistent in my view point. Players play coaches coach. Has nothing to do with Tomlin..

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Like I said before im consistent in my view point. Players play coaches coach. Has nothing to do with Tomlin..

Nicolas%20Cage%20Laugh.gif

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
YAY!!! Another Tomlin Hate thread...

antdrewjosh

Reaction score

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
You would get that if I didn't always say I would of been perfectly fine if Cowher was still our coach.

regardless one of the dumbest things I have ever heard

congratulations

Omar10213245

👀👂🎃🏈🍇🥑🍆🍋🪂🌞🌛🌜☂☔❄🌊🥴🤬🥺
Contributor
Reaction score
to be fair to coach tomlin, I picked "average", as we've never sunk to levels of 2-14 or 3-13 during his tenure...at least not yet; if he's still around after ben leaves, I won't be shocked if we sink to that level of pathetic. but he damn sure isn't one of the best coaches in the league, anyone picking that choice is using their mr mcgoo vision to watch the games.

obxsteeler

Reaction score
to be fair to coach tomlin, I picked "average", as we've never sunk to levels of 2-14 or 3-13 during his tenure...at least not yet; if he's still around after ben leaves, I won't be shocked if we sink to that level of pathetic. but he damn sure isn't one of the best coaches in the league, anyone picking that choice is using their mr mcgoo vision to watch the games.

Who do you think is better beside Belechik? Be sure you check the records.

SCSteeler4life

Contributor
Reaction score
#2 for me. Not as bad as most here say and not as good as most NFL players and experts say. We are just really spoiled fans, we expect perfection that will never change. If this was the 70's some of us would have bitched when we didn't win 6 in a row. My issue yesterday was how such a poorly coached team ( quote from other posters) can play like **** for all but 10 minutes of a game and then look all world the last 10 minutes. They are pros for Christ sake.