• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Which coaching style works better?

obxsteeler

Reaction score
Actually, that is not true. I see most criticisms of MT are for calls that we know he made, such as bizarre going for two when there is no logic to it, and not going for a 4th down when a FG does nothing to help steal a win, that kind of thing. He is making those calls and we all know he is.

But I digress. The topic is on what coaching style is superior.

Have you ever seen clips of Parcells, Hoody or Jimmy Johnson coaching? They know every facet of every position on the field. It is quite amazing. Now that is coaching. Does MT ever give tipis to players about playing, like actual coaching?

I have no idea what tips Tomlin gives players. But I don't you do either.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Actually, that is not true. I see most criticisms of MT are for calls that we know he made, such as bizarre going for two when there is no logic to it, and not going for a 4th down when a FG does nothing to help steal a win, that kind of thing. He is making those calls and we all know he is.

But I digress. The topic is on what coaching style is superior.

Have you ever seen clips of Parcells, Hoody or Jimmy Johnson coaching? They know every facet of every position on the field. It is quite amazing. Now that is coaching. Does MT ever give tipis to players about playing, like actual coaching?

The results speak for themselves as to which style earns the most Lombardi's.

Parcells and Johnson coach their team. Some of their X players may say he's a son of a gun but loved him for football.

With Tomlin, I never see any actual coaching. It's his assistant doing the side line talking. Pure delegation. I have also noted his mouth is never moving on the head set unless it's upstairs telling him to throw the red flag.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
I have no idea what tips Tomlin gives players. But I don't you do either.

Obxsteeler,

One day you might. I heard the NFL is tinkering around with the fan experience at the stadium. What's this? Those at the stadium might hear or see half time speeches, and coaching stuff after the game is over. Audio or video with sensitive stuff like the play call itself muted out.

An interesting point we've all see coaches " miked up " for games, but never with Tomlin. Why is this?

If the Steelers ever do an HBO Hard Knox, we might see what type of coaching Tomlin does, but I suspect they would only show him making speeches and letting players go. No X and O's, or on the field coaching.

He's been here for a while and I have yet to see or hear him do either.

The sports reporters in Pittsburgh mostly throw softball questions to Tomlin during the post game interview. I'd love to hear them ask more detailed questions on strategy.

Example: Coach Tomlin, Kansas City Chiefs have a short to medium type of passing game. Why did the defense offer large cushions virtually allowing Kansas City to do what they do best at times uncontested? It's not in their nature to go deep and they don't have the type of receivers that make big plays.

How would Tomlin answer that?!