• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

What the ****

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Our FA:
Bud Dupree - gone; JuJu Smith-Schuster - gone; Alejandro Villanueva - gone; Matt Feiler - gone; Mike Hilton - maybe; Tyson Alualu - maybe; Cam Sutton - gone; James Conner - gone; Vance McDonald (option) gone; Zach Banner - maybe; J. Berry gone; C. Wormley - gone; J. Dangerfield - gone; S. Davis - gone; J. Dobbs - gone; C. Marsh - gone; Avery Williamson - gone. There you go - three maybes.

If tgey decide to cut one of the two starters at cb they will bring Sutton back... i think Davis will be cheap and retained.. no one is going to bid on him... williamson might cheaply replace Vince Williams if they cut him as talked about... Vince was miserable down the stretch and is very expensive for a run stopper..

Dobbs, who knows... unless ben retires he will push for him as 3qb, but if they draft anyone he is certainly gone... i agree with the rest...

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Art absolutely positively has to demand an overhaul on offense at a minimum... Fitchner has to be gone... take the munch prodigy with him...

fogdoctor

Reaction score
In my book this supplants the 1994 loss to the Chargers as the worst playoff loss.

1. 2021 Browns.
2. 1994 Chargers
3. 2012 Broncos.

Most points allowed in one quarter of a playoff game.
Only team to allow 45 points or more in two consecutive playoff games.

I'm with you. It was the damn Browns.

AggieSteel

Contributor
Reaction score
I also think the Jacksonville loss was worse simply because our head coach was talking about the ******* PATRIOTS that week. He didn’t even give a **** about the Jags game. He thought they’d win a playoff game just for showing up to the stadium, and it showed. Pathetic. He has to go

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
this loss was right under the Chargers loss. The Browns had no HC, lost multiple players to Covid and injury. Hell, their new guard or tackle(don't know which) was introduced to BM in the locker room at the half. He didn't know him. We had injuries, as well, but this is a veteran group that layed a huge egg. The first half was one of the worst I can ever remember and our D let the Browns have their way with them. Little to no push back. Chubb and Hunt did anything they wanted. Ben was really bad at times. 500 yards passing and 4 TDs means nothing when you turn over the ball FIVE TIMES.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
This story has played out before, ignore history and it comes back with a vengence.

Fichtner / Bubbles / Serritt / I'm pretty sure Tomlin is retained till his contract runs out..

Salute the nation

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
PS

CoolieMan, that is why you are considered one of the best.

Salute the nation

MeanJim

Forefather
Reaction score
No way this is worse than the 94 AFCC.

I also recall, maybe 97, another AFCC at home, Kordell threw 3 stupid picks, Romanowski taunted Kordell, pointing at his head calling him stupid. Refs wouldn't call holding on our opponent (kinda like last night)

We knew damn well we'd come out sucking. We did every game this year, pretty much. Then we gifted them 28 in the first quarter. Can only shake your head. Not a gut wrenching game at all. We were ****** early and knew it was over. Of course we kept hopefully watching, but 28 down with this coaching staff is too much to ask, even with a 500 yard performance.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
this loss was right under the Chargers loss. The Browns had no HC, lost multiple players to Covid and injury. Hell, their new guard or tackle(don't know which) was introduced to BM in the locker room at the half. He didn't know him. We had injuries, as well, but this is a veteran group that layed a huge egg. The first half was one of the worst I can ever remember and our D let the Browns have their way with them. Little to no push back. Chubb and Hunt did anything they wanted. Ben was really bad at times. 500 yards passing and 4 TDs means nothing when you turn over the ball FIVE TIMES.

This game doesn’t even touch top 5 most painful

1 afc cg 94
Far second Take your pick
2001 AFC cg, 2004 afc cg 1997afc cg
Also the Titans in 2002, that fiasco in 2007, the 1993 heartbreaker vs KC.. all of thise left me despondent

As for most embarrassing... nothing tops tebow, and Jacksonville was every bit as bad as this ... the Browns were an 11 win team that are flawed as hell, but we have lost to some real stinkers...

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
This game doesn’t even touch top 5 most painful

1 afc cg 94
Far second Take your pick
2001 AFC cg, 2004 afc cg 1997afc cg
Also the Titans in 2002, that fiasco in 2007, the 1993 heartbreaker vs KC.. all of thise left me despondent

As for most embarrassing... nothing tops tebow, and Jacksonville was every bit as bad as this ... the Browns were an 11 win team that are flawed as hell, but we have lost to some real stinkers...

it may not be one of the worst PO losses, but it has to rank up there for embarrassing. The first quarter couldn't have been worse, could it? They looked nothing like the AFCN "champs" and the top, smothering D. They looked like a big, fat turd.

Avoid_Lloyd

Reaction score
I'm not sure Ben can play a different scheme. Look, this staff sucks, but I still maintain that it looks the way it does on offense because of the limits of the QB. The game has changed, the Steelers and Ben hae not, or cannot.

Numbers wise, he had a fine year. I do wonder if, with an offseason of being able to strengthen, not just rehab, if he could get back better. But father time gets us all.

Tomlin deserves the boot after 4 straight late season colapses!!!!! We all know he wont tho

The best hope is whoever the GM is tells Ben that Fitchner (plus o-line coach for ***** sake) is out and Ben can have some input on the new o-coordinator hire, if Ben refuses too bad. Ben has too much control Fitchner was his choice and is beholden to him

Ben cannot throw the ball 45 times a game, get a coordinator who can re-establish the run and do more than the short passing game, draft o-line and RB with the 1st 2 or 3 pics, Ben has a little more left

Last edited:

diver

Reaction score
Tomlin deserves the boot after 4 straight late season colaoses!!!!! We all know he wont tho

The best hope is whoever the GM is tells Ben Fitchner (plus online coach for ***** sake) is out and Ben can have some input on the new o-coordinator hire, if Ben refuses too bad. Ben has too much control Fitchner was his choice and is beholden to him

Ben cannot throw the ball 45 times a game, get a coordinator who can re-establish the run and do more than the short passing game, draft online and RB with the 2st 2 or 3 pics, Ben has a little more left

I agree, Tomlin needs to go...you are right, he won't. But Ben is done, IMO. He cannot do the things needed to be done in today's NFL anymore. They are too predictable, and everyone knows where he will be.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
I agree, Tomlin needs to go...you are right, he won't. But Ben is done, IMO. He cannot do the things needed to be done in today's NFL anymore. They are too predictable, and everyone knows where he will be.

Brady and brees seem fine in the pocket.. they also aren’t coached by mental midgets on the offensive side

Avoid_Lloyd

Reaction score

If Ben retires and Tomlin stays it will be a painful 2-3 years watching Tomlin get exposed as a mediocre to bad coach, , then eventually fired, only hope is they draft high enough to get another franchise qb

diver

Reaction score
Brady and brees seem fine in the pocket.. they also aren’t coached by mental midgets on the offensive side

Ben is a different QB. Ben is more like a Favre, not the tactician that Brady and Brees are. He will never be that perfect QB.

I am not defending the coaching. It is awful. But I think that is the big question. Moving forward, can Ben do some things, move the pocket with some rollouts perhaps, get under center, playaction if they ever get a damn running game or does the offense look like it does partly due to his limitations?

I know this. I think the world of Ben. But if he comes back next year and this staff remains intact, I will not watch., I don't care if it is his last year. It is boring, lacks any creativity, and because of that becomes very frustrating, as we all know. I just don't need to watch another year like the last 3 or 4. Hw many times can you watch the same movie over and over, especially if it isn't that great?

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Really? They were the #1 seed in '94. Home field. Great defense. I still put '94 on top. This one isn't even close. To me you just felt this coming.

The Chargers game we were at least close. This was a blowout by a team who only beat our backups by two points the week before. Maybe should have played the backups again.

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
The Chargers game we were at least close. This was a blowout by a team who only beat our backups by two points the week before. Maybe should have played the backups again.

Not only that they were playing guys off the street on Oline and were missing DBs. Just really no excuses honestly.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
If Ben retires and Tomlin stays it will be a painful 2-3 years watching Tomlin get exposed as a mediocre to bad coach, , then eventually fired, only hope is they draft high enough to get another franchise qb

I will say this unless I'm very wrong about this if Mike Tomlin is here for another 2-3 years I'm taking a hiatus as a fan. This **** is bad for my health. And I'm not joking.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
I will say this unless I'm very wrong about this if Mike Tomlin is here for another 2-3 years I'm taking a hiatus as a fan. This **** is bad for my health. And I'm not joking.
Maybe just step away regroup and come back fresh. Right now you are feeling the same frustration many of us are. We allowed ourselves to expect more after the great start and now it is over and we don't even know what to expect moving forward. I am there with you all, very dissappointed. Hell my Doberman can tell I am down. She has been extra clingy. She knows me like a book. It is like a tug of war of emotions. Anger, dissappointment,etc. We just have to see what happens. Get your mind off it, mix up your time. Do something different until you have softened on everything.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Steeler Nation mobile app

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Here's a WTF stat for everyone

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The 10 Steelers seasons prior to Ben taking over as starter (1994-03) were clearly better than the last ten seasons with Ben (2011-20)<br><br>1994-03: 6 div titles, 7 playoff wins, 4 AFC title games, 1 SB trip. <br><br>2011-20 4 div titles, 3 playoff wins, 1 AFC title game, 0 SB trips <a href="https://t.co/bQqqkAa7DG">https://t.co/bQqqkAa7DG</a></p>— Paul Zeise (@PaulZeise) <a href="https://twitter.com/PaulZeise/status/1348546702349889538?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 11, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

ZonaBurgh

My Opinions Are Awesome!
Contributor
Reaction score
Here's a WTF stat for everyone

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The 10 Steelers seasons prior to Tomlin taking over as starter (1994-03) were clearly better than the last ten seasons with Ben (2011-20)<br><br>1994-03: 6 div titles, 7 playoff wins, 4 AFC title games, 1 SB trip. <br><br>2011-20 4 div titles, 3 playoff wins, 1 AFC title game, 0 SB trips <a href="https://t.co/bQqqkAa7DG">https://t.co/bQqqkAa7DG</a></p>— Paul Zeise (@PaulZeise) <a href="https://twitter.com/PaulZeise/status/1348546702349889538?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 11, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

This makes more sense to me. I attempted to change Ben to Tomlin, but it didn't take.

Last edited:

Confluence

Contributor
Reaction score
Someone mentioned trading Tomlin ala Gruden, it will never happen, but **** him, **** him, **** him.

Cliches don't win games.
I offered Tomlin to Philly guys for Doug Pederson, but then he got dumped. So they offered a cheesesteak on stale bread and I jumped on it, so long as they took the OC and OL coach for a couple packets of warm mustard/mayo. They found some condiments on the floor of the car, and we agreed to terms.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe just step away regroup and come back fresh. Right now you are feeling the same frustration many of us are. We allowed ourselves to expect more after the great start and now it is over and we don't even know what to expect moving forward. I am there with you all, very dissappointed. Hell my Doberman can tell I am down. She has been extra clingy. She knows me like a book. It is like a tug of war of emotions. Anger, dissappointment,etc. We just have to see what happens. Get your mind off it, mix up your time. Do something different until you have softened on everything.

As a fan, it's going to be hard to step away, regroup, and come back fresh, when the same stale leadership at the top will still be here.

Many of us saw this coming years ago, when, as the good but disappointing seasons went by, the Steelers were winning and having moderate success -- but not because Tomlin was some incredible coaching talent. Deep down, we knew that as Ben's ability started to decline with age, Tomlin was going to be exposed as a fraud. And now the wheels are starting to fall off.

I must say that I wasn't even angry last night. It's more a feeling of melancholy for me, knowing that as long as Tomlin remains, it's only going to get worse before it gets better.

Last edited: