• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

What do you think about the Masters

steelrzgirl

Forefather
Reaction score
I still have hope in Tiger. I dont enjoy watching him fail. Ive only taken up watching the Masters a few years ago as my interest in golf grew, but I find it one of my off season entertainments. I NEVER thought Id actually ever be ok with watching golf.

Vis

Reaction score
One of the babies will win. Spieth is my pick.

black and gold apex

Reaction score
I enjoy watching the Masters just because the people running the show in Augusta have been able to keep the wool over the players and announcers eyes as well as everyone that goes there. Like it is the second coming, all the whisper talk by the announcers and the players interviews as they get on the ground to give homage to the green Gods at the masters. Everyone on there best behavior afraid they won't be allowed back next year as some announcers in the past. The music alone gives you a chance to have a good nap. Its all about the course not who actually wins as they sit in humble abode to receive their jacket as head master allows them to say a few words before the jacket. Then we will get one more look at the majestic course as once again the music comes pouring out of the TV.

SteelChip

Contributor
Reaction score
I enjoy watching the Masters just because the people running the show in Augusta have been able to keep the wool over the players and announcers eyes as well as everyone that goes there. Like it is the second coming, all the whisper talk by the announcers and the players interviews as they get on the ground to give homage to the green Gods at the masters. Everyone on there best behavior afraid they won't be allowed back next year as some announcers in the past. The music alone gives you a chance to have a good nap. Its all about the course not who actually wins as they sit in humble abode to receive their jacket as head master allows them to say a few words before the jacket. Then we will get one more look at the majestic course as once again the music comes pouring out of the TV.

Chuckle....proof positive that there's one in every crowd, what we would do without them I'll never know.

Music unlike bird song is very subjective. In the past, CBS received calls from gung-ho bird-watchers - bird-listeners, really - who claimed they were perplexed by the singing of birds during the telecasts. One claimed that the sounds made by one were those of a canyon wren, a bird never seen east of Texas, and here he was chirping at a tournament in Michigan. Another pointed out that the whistle of a white-throated sparrow, which is not seen in the South during the summer, could be distinctly heard in the background during the playing of the PGA Championship in Kentucky.

The fellows in my circle got a chuckle out of this, but some of the dedicated birders really had ruffled feathers. "It's deceitful," one growled. "Just how perfect do they want us to think it is out there? Why not dub in harp music for certain crucial holes?"

Or a clap of thunder for a disastrous shot into the pond!

For me, the bottom line is that CBS understands the long-time bond between golfers and nature ( in my case that would be sand primarily ). And even at the risk of a little harmless hocus-pocus it goes out of its way to add a dash of nature's unique music to its presentations. I like that, even if they do have the canyon wren where he's never been before.

I have often thought that the famous Walter Hagen line about taking time to stop and smell the flowers, might easily be altered to read: "Don't hurry, don't worry. And be sure to take time to listen to the birds." ....er, and the music of course.

hook

Forefather
Reaction score
There are a ton of golfers out there with alcohol and women issues. Tiger was in the microscope and took it to another level. Other sports are even worse. Heck, basketball players have their pick in the lobby of every hotel they stay in. That entire ordeal ruined Tiger. Certainly not agreeing with what he did but it is his life. He will probably play like crap at the Masters and that's what everyone should expect. If he does play well, that will be very unexpected and will help golf and his confidence tremendously.

I don't feel sorry for him one bit. He's a pompous ***. Saw it first hand when I went to Augusta back in 2000 for a practice round. Pretty much every golfer I saw there was signing autographs or hand slapping the fans on their way to the first tee. All except Tiger. He walked right past throngs of little kids as if they were not even there, leaving them in his dust very disappointed. Was he good for the game? Yes, to a point. He's probably the main reason the prize money has increased dramatically. He's also part of the reason the expense to play or just watch a tournament has increased dramatically. I think he is also part of the reason golf etiquette has pretty much gone out the window the past 15 years or so. His cussing, club kicking, club swiping after a bad shot are disrespectful and his fans follow his lead. I've been in this business for 25 years or so and ever since he came around, anyone that has a TW hat on and has Nike clubs like Tiger automatically thinks they are a good golfer. No one repairs ball marks anymore. Very few golfer rake themselves out of bunkers anymore. Litter everywhere. Very few actually respect THE COURSE anymore. When a pro is giving a new student a lesson, his first AND last lesson should be on golf etiquette.

scstillerfan

Reaction score
No one repairs ball marks anymore. Very few golfer rake themselves out of bunkers anymore. Litter everywhere. Very few actually respect THE COURSE anymore. When a pro is giving a new student a lesson, his first AND last lesson should be on golf etiquette.

Spoken for truth. And they drag spikes across greens like they can't lift their feet when they walk.

21STEELERS21

21 is my IQ
Reaction score
Tom Watson -1 in first round is rather impressive. 65 year old on 7,435 layout. Might beat Tiger and Rory in RD 1.

steelrzgirl

Forefather
Reaction score
Ok Im ready. Im not very happy my friend planned her wedding on Saturday, but at least we have technology to keep up. ha. I asked my boss to cancel all calls after 2:00 pm CST and he didnt think it was funny. Working for people who do not like sports are not fun.

SteelChip

Contributor
Reaction score
No one repairs ball marks anymore. Very few golfer rake themselves out of bunkers anymore. Litter everywhere. Very few actually respect THE COURSE anymore. When a pro is giving a new student a lesson, his first AND last lesson should be on golf etiquette.

Sounds like you got some lazy ******** up there Hook. We aren't having that problem with our locals......the 'snowbirds' now, that's a horse of a different color.

My grandson is graduating from college this month and for his present, he wants to take the game up. He says it's either that or be the only one manning the office when there's an outing. I will be sure to keep my friend 'the superintendent' in mind as he progresses thru the basics. There's nothing worse than hitting a killer drive or a greenside bunker in two on a par five only to end up in someone's unrepaired crater.

Young Spieth is lookin' strong on opening day ! "Smooth Ernie" would be a heck of a dark horse if he can keep it up too. Lotsa golf left to play though, anybody can emerge from within.

A couple more of those 125mph swings from Tiger and he'll be limping again, he just can't help himself.

Last edited:

21STEELERS21

21 is my IQ
Reaction score
Spieth -7 thru 13, kind of crazy. The nice thing about him is he has a nice steady swing. He could last a long time.
Tigers swing was more athletic and powerful, but it seems to have worn on his health.

hook

Forefather
Reaction score
**** Tiger
His post round presser he's blaming the golf.course/greens because the greens.were not "rolling.out. seems like Jordan Speight didn't have any problems.

SteelChip

Contributor
Reaction score
My man is at it! Go Speith!

Probably lookin' at the future of golf in that youngin...we'll see.

[video]http://www.masters.com/en_US/watch/2015-04-09/u8jb91sabqxiuo3lhrl18zjrgxapfumo.html[/video]

...and he's still on fire thru 8 today, you go boy !

Last edited:

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Speith is running away. What a performance so far. Tiger looking way better than anyone thought and better than expected. Making the cut would have been huge for coming back and he is in the top 20. If Speith wasn't so far ahead of everyone, Tiger would actually be right in this thing.

SteelChip

Contributor
Reaction score
Looks like we may be headin' to an old fashion shoot out.

The experienced veteran trying to outgun the young sharpshooter. The lefty has a definite advantage on this course both physically and mentally but the kid has a good lead and has shown no signs of cracking under the pressure. I'd love to have even a sliver of the short game either one of these guys have.

My guy looks done and I don't think Tiger has enough in his tank to go the distance ( actually , I hope not, Hook may bust his TV ) 10 strokes is a lot for even Tiger in his glory days.

Justin Rose is climbing ( 4 birds in a row and 5 total on the back nine ) and Charlie Hoffman ( -1 yesterday ) is hanging on by a thread....Masters Sunday looks like it might not be a runaway after all.

Jordan Spieth

HOLE 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 OUT
PAR 4 5 4 3 4 3 4 5 4 36
SCORE 4 4 4 4 4 2 5 5 3 35

HOLE 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 IN
PAR 4 4 3 5 4 5 3 4 4 36
SCORE 4 4 2 4 5 4 2 6 4 35

Justin Rose

PAR 4 5 4 3 4 3 4 5 4 36
SCORE 5 5 4 3 5 3 3 5 3 36

PAR 4 4 3 5 4 5 3 4 4 36
SCORE 4 4 3 4 3 4 2 4 3 31

Phil Mickelson

PAR 4 5 4 3 4 3 4 5 4 36
SCORE 4 4 3 2 4 3 4 5 3 32

PAR 4 4 3 5 4 5 3 4 4 36
SCORE 4 5 3 4 4 4 2 5 4 35

Last edited:

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Spieth, at 21, was just too good. Good to see another great young American golfer. He should be fun to watch for quite some time.

Omar10213245

๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘‚๐ŸŽƒ๐Ÿˆ๐Ÿ‡๐Ÿฅ‘๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ‹๐Ÿช‚๐ŸŒž๐ŸŒ›๐ŸŒœโ˜‚โ˜”โ„๐ŸŒŠ๐Ÿฅด๐Ÿคฌ๐Ÿฅบ
Contributor
Reaction score
Man, what a performance by Jordan Spieth. Congrats to the young man, I look forward to watching him play in the future

Buff

Forefather
Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
Well done by Spieth, although it is kind of boring when it isn't close in the final round. I wish he would have finished at -19 so he could break that pompous ***' record

scstillerfan

Reaction score
Congrats to Spieth, well deserved to a good young man. I got to attend Saturday, what an awesome golf course. Saw every player hit at least one shot, including up close of Watson, Z. Johnson, Rory, Spieth, Phil, and Tiger. And the bird sounds are definitely real LOL.

SteelChip

Contributor
Reaction score
Congrats to Spieth, well deserved to a good young man. I got to attend Saturday, what an awesome golf course. Saw every player hit at least one shot, including up close of Watson, Z. Johnson, Rory, Spieth, Phil, and Tiger. And the bird sounds are definitely real LOL.

Wow I'm jealous, I have tried to get tickets for at least the last 20 years to no avail.

scstillerfan

Reaction score
Wow I'm jealous, I have tried to get tickets for at least the last 20 years to no avail.

Pure blind luck. One of my vendors called Friday with a free ticket. Someone else backed out. Just like if you get a free Steelers ticket, you say yes and disregard previous plans lol.

hook

Forefather
Reaction score
Spieth was awesome and deserved it. As was said earlier, I was hoping he could get to -19 and break the ******** record.

As far as Tiger, I almost felt a bit sorry for him when he hit that tree root. Then I thought that was the golf gods way at making him pay for having CBS to once again apologize for his childish behavior.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Alright there Hookster, I'm thinkin' my man Rory will wup anybody you pick in the Masters this year. What say you ?

th

Play golf for a living? Most wish!

Golf to me is more of a difficult game than sport. My definition of a sport is no 70 year old can kick my @ss, if he can its mostly likely a " game ".