• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

We still have Le'Veon and Green waiting to take their first snaps this year..

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
At least for this year, when Bell gets back, they will run him until the wheels fall off as Tomlin likes to say. He is the best RB in the league and we very well may be passing on him at the end of the season. So, enjoy this year and hope he and the Steelers can come to some decent contract taking hugely into consideration him being busted and missing time 2 years in a row. If we don't sign him, someone will and hopefully it will be in the NFC.

I am still pissed about the Green situation but I did like seeing him on the sidelines during the game and having a good time with the other TE's after they scored. That, at least, means he has a decent rapport with his teammates and is a good sign.

t-man

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
This thread makes me even more irritated with Bell's and Bryant's suspensions.

This might sound crazy, but Bryants suspension might be one of the best things to happen to this team. Eli Rodgers is getting his shot now, as well as Coates, if those guys mature into the pass catchers they can be, AND Bryant comes back, along with Antonio this offense is going to be insane next year. Add to that the fact that Bryant can most likely be re-signed for a bargain given his previous issues, and it's win win for the Steelers FO. If he crashes and burns, we've got his replacement in Coates as long as he can keep progressing.

Joe

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
I understand the hate Bell gets for ******* up. But for anyone to not be able to see how good he is as RB is crazy to me.

They're the same people who are happy with the dropoff in talent with Wallace replacing Pouncey...

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
They're the same people who are happy with the dropoff in talent with Wallace replacing Pouncey...

Pretty much sums it up

t-man

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

I don't know, Fister Wallace brings a level of nasty to that oline. How many guys will try to reach through another guys ******* for the ball? :)

Joe

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
Still missing Wheaton, we do need him back soon. Nix is also out. He adds another very large body for us and is a great intangibles player.

Who knows if Green plays for us, its giving me a headache thinking about it

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Steelers might want to experiment with Le'Veon Bell-DeAngelo Williams possibilities

11:19 PM ET
Jeremy Fowler
ESPN Staff Writer

PITTSBURGH -- Let's try this again.

The Pittsburgh Steelers will soon get a second act with Le’Veon Bell and DeAngelo Williams in the same lineup for an extended period. Once again, Williams is balling in September, posting 303 total yards and three scores in Weeks 1 and 2, fresh off a career-high 32 carries in Sunday's 24-16 win over the Cincinnati Bengals. The week before, in Washington, Williams touched the ball 32 times, with six receptions and 143 rushing yards on 26 attempts.

The Steelers likely will pound the rock for a third time Sunday at Philadelphia.

Then Bell returns from his three-game suspension, something he is anticipating on social media.

Williams won't be relegated to the sideline once that happens, right?

That's sort of what happened last year, when Williams averaged 2.6 carries per game during the five weeks with a healthy Bell, and 17 carries when Bell was suspended or hurt. Williams was still part of the game plan, but with Bell's return coinciding with Ben Roethlisberger’s knee injury, the Steelers kept Bell on the field for traditional sets with Landry Jones in the backfield.

This time, with Roethlisberger and Bell healthy, perhaps offensive coordinator Todd Haley can find a way to capitalize on both tailback's talents. Both players were on the field at times during the third preseason game at New Orleans.

Williams isn't sure how this is going to shake out, but he knows a two-back system can work. Williams and Jonathan Stewart employed one for years in Carolina.

"I think that the two-back system would work well here," Williams said. "But, you know … L. Bell is so dynamic when he plays the game that I don't want him to come off the field."

Williams' goal hasn't changed since he signed a two-year, $4 million deal in 2015 -- don't take any pressure off the defense whenever he enters the game.

As Cincinnati ran a cover-2 defense in efforts to minimize the passing-game threat, Roethlisberger kept feeding Williams, and Williams kept applying pressure.

Williams' head-down-and-pound running style was perfect for this kind of game: Soggy field, rain pouring, physical up-front matchups.

Defenses know how lethal Pittsburgh's passing game can be, so they load up in coverage and dare the running game to win. So far, Williams and the offensive line have done just that.

But, in the traditional sense, the Steelers seem to favor one primary back carrying the load. Williams was the only Steelers tailback with more than one carry Sunday (Fitz Toussaint and Daryl Richardson carried one apiece). And with Bell posting 2,200-plus yards in his last full season, he's tough to take off the field.

But as Williams continues to pile up yards, perhaps the Steelers can get creative with packages that feature Williams as a primary rusher and Bell as a pass-catcher. Bell has elite receiving skills for his position.

With Martavis Bryant out for the year and Markus Wheaton missing time, mixing up looks could be effective.

"We've got two really good players at the position," said offensive coordinator Todd Haley, who notes Williams' superb shape the last two years. "I think [Williams] would be starting for a lot of teams."

Williams has made clear he doesn't care about numbers of touches. When asked about surpassing the 10,000-total-career-mark Sunday, Williams basically shrugged: "It's yards, man."

But the Steelers could have a lot of fun with this two-back set.

"I am hunting and one thing and one thing only and that is a lowB repuS," Williams said.

Steelerfan

Reaction score
I've been lobbying for "Thunder(DW) & Lightning(LB)" for quite some time now.

Steelers might want to experiment with Le'Veon Bell-DeAngelo Williams possibilities

Jeremy Fowler
ESPN Staff Writer

The Pittsburgh Steelers will soon get a second act with Le’Veon Bell and DeAngelo Williams in the same lineup for an extended period. Once again, Williams is balling in September, posting 303 total yards and three scores in Weeks 1 and 2, fresh off a career-high 32 carries in Sunday's 24-16 win over the Cincinnati Bengals. The week before, in Washington, Williams touched the ball 32 times, with six receptions and 143 rushing yards on 26 attempts.

The Steelers likely will pound the rock for a third time Sunday at Philadelphia.

Then Bell returns from his three-game suspension, something he is anticipating on social media.

That's sort of what happened last year, when Williams averaged 2.6 carries per game during the five weeks with a healthy Bell, and 17 carries when Bell was suspended or hurt. Williams was still part of the game plan, but with Bell's return coinciding with Ben Roethlisberger’s knee injury, the Steelers kept Bell on the field for traditional sets with Landry Jones in the backfield.

This time, with Roethlisberger and Bell healthy, perhaps offensive coordinator Todd Haley can find a way to capitalize on both tailback's talents. Both players were on the field at times during the third preseason game at New Orleans.

Williams isn't sure how this is going to shake out, but he knows a two-back system can work. Williams and Jonathan Stewart employed one for years in Carolina.

"I think that the two-back system would work well here," Williams said. "But, you know … L. Bell is so dynamic when he plays the game that I don't want him to come off the field."

Williams' goal hasn't changed since he signed a two-year, $4 million deal in 2015 -- don't take any pressure off the defense whenever he enters the game.

As Cincinnati ran a cover-2 defense in efforts to minimize the passing-game threat, Roethlisberger kept feeding Williams, and Williams kept applying pressure.

Williams' head-down-and-pound running style was perfect for this kind of game: Soggy field, rain pouring, physical up-front matchups.

Defenses know how lethal Pittsburgh's passing game can be, so they load up in coverage and dare the running game to win. So far, Williams and the offensive line have done just that.

But, in the traditional sense, the Steelers seem to favor one primary back carrying the load. Williams was the only Steelers tailback with more than one carry Sunday (Fitz Toussaint and Daryl Richardson carried one apiece). And with Bell posting 2,200-plus yards in his last full season, he's tough to take off the field.

But as Williams continues to pile up yards, perhaps the Steelers can get creative with packages that feature Williams as a primary rusher and Bell as a pass-catcher. Bell has elite receiving skills for his position.

With Martavis Bryant out for the year and Markus Wheaton missing time, mixing up looks could be effective.

"We've got two really good players at the position," said offensive coordinator Todd Haley, who notes Williams' superb shape the last two years. "I think [Williams] would be starting for a lot of teams."

Williams has made clear he doesn't care about numbers of touches. When asked about surpassing the 10,000-total-career-mark Sunday, Williams basically shrugged: "It's yards, man."

"I am hunting and one thing and one thing only and that is a lowB repuS," Williams said.

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score

Jeremy Fowler
ESPN Staff Writer

Bell will be eased into the lineup. They will gradually increase his work load each week. That said, maybe he gets split wide in the slot v completely taken off the field on some downs with DWill at RB, especially on some 3rd down throwing situations. RB by committee, meh, Bell is our #1. We need to play them both but I'm not buying the split carries deal.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Bell will be eased into the lineup. They will gradually increase his work load each week. That said, maybe he gets split wide in the slot v completely taken off the field on some downs with DWill at RB, especially on some 3rd down throwing situations. RB by committee, meh, Bell is our #1. We need to play them both but I'm not buying the split carries deal.

Me either. I also think there will alot of plays where Bell will be lined up at WR with Williams in the backfield..

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
I'd love to see them in a 2 back set on short yardage. Bell goes into motion as a wide receiver, and the option is give it to DWill for the short run, or take the mismatch of Bell vs a LB. This is a great problem to have, if it's used properly.

Harry_BZAC

Forefather
Reaction score
I think the ankle story is bullshit and he has a head injury that they don't want to talk about.

This article makes me a bit more optimistic about Green. HIt the link to the comments by his former position coach. Dude if Green comes back Ben has a legitimate arsenal!

http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN ...s-te-ladarius-green-ankle-feels-good-running/

Fuzzy Dunlop

Reaction score
With Bell's versatility, I wonder how much we will see him and Williams on the field at the same time, particularly if Nix is still out.