• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Was Tomlin NOT in the 'war room' for the draft ?

FAB802

Contributor
Reaction score
Don't you guys get tired of this dumb ****? The coach is there, they don't make the damn picks. Cowher didn't either. They have input, but if you think the Steelers take a player because the HC says so, you aren't too bright. Carry on with the dumb **** though.

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
Don't you guys get tired of this dumb ****? The coach is there, they don't make the damn picks. Cowher didn't either. They have input, but if you think the Steelers take a player because the HC says so, you aren't too bright. Carry on with the dumb **** though.
DO NOT MAKE SENSE! TOMLIN BAD PICKS ALL GOOD PICKS SOMEONE ELSE. Tomlin was talking a **** when all the good picks have happened.

FAB802

Contributor
Reaction score
DO NOT MAKE SENSE! TOMLIN BAD PICKS ALL GOOD PICKS SOMEONE ELSE. Tomlin was talking a **** when all the good picks have happened.
You need to smoke a bowl or something. We have had 3 HC's in my life. The Steelers do what they do, the HC doesn't run the damn draft. This draft went fantastic, our OL was ***, they addressed it. They addressed QB in the offseason, because our whole QB room last year was ***. Sometimes I wonder how much some folks even understand the business of running a team? They didn't draft the guy I wanted in the first round either, I didn't spend 3 days whining about it. By all means, keep saying the same **** 500 times though. Maybe it will change reality..........

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
You need to smoke a bowl or something. We have had 3 HC's in my life. The Steelers do what they do, the HC doesn't run the damn draft. This draft went fantastic, our OL was ***, they addressed it. They addressed QB in the offseason, because our whole QB room last year was ***. Sometimes I wonder how much some folks even understand the business of running a team? They didn't draft the guy I wanted in the first round either, I didn't spend 3 days whining about it. By all means, keep saying the same **** 500 times though. Maybe it will change reality..........
pretty sure blitz was agreeing with you

in his own way

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
so when I said do not make sense. I meant you were making sense.

KStilley

Contributor
Reaction score
I was alive when Walt Kiesling was head coach but I don't remember him. I do remember, Buddy Parker, Mike Nixon and Bill Austin. Listened on radio with my uncle on Mt. Oliver, Brownsville Road in their duplex on top of the 3 Jacks Bar. Now Maxwell's Pub. Introduced to fried fish sandwich and a sip of Iron City. In case you were wondering lol

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Is it necessarily bad if he isn’t present?
Aside from the congratulatory welcome to the club phone call

Stewey

Reaction score
If I am correct the primary function of the HC during the draft is to make that congratulatory phone call.

These draftees gotta be starstruck getting a phone call from one of the greatest coaches ever.

Last edited:

xjx

Reaction score
I'm just glad Omar and Andy are in charge of personnel. It looks like we are improving.

SteelerInLebanon

Steeler fanatic trying to survive modern society
Contributor
Reaction score
I was alive when Walt Kiesling was head coach but I don't remember him. I do remember, Buddy Parker, Mike Nixon and Bill Austin. Listened on radio with my uncle on Mt. Oliver, Brownsville Road in their duplex on top of the 3 Jacks Bar. Now Maxwell's Pub. Introduced to fried fish sandwich and a sip of Iron City. In case you were wondering lol
Damn you're old. :cool:

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
When Colbert was GM, he let Tomlin influence the process, way to much.

Kahn, being a Steelers FO Vetran, came in and righted the ship. He showed his authority of GM from the get go. His First taking over the role, he had one on one meetings and established clear insight the direction of this team’s draft and GM administrations.

Obviously the HC does have some input into the type of players they are looking for. The Owner definitely has a say, but more importantly the owner gives insight into the direction he wants the team to go. It’s the GM (Omar) who has to blend these inputs together and bring the out-come desired.

Kahn has established who is who and in doing so, has lessened Tomlin’s role when it comes to the draft. Kahn has full support from the Rooney and I personally think Omar has faired very well in his approach.

Salute the nation

Reactions: xjx

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

GREAT post KStilley, appreciate all your great ones along the way. Nice insightful days of the past, Love it.

I grew up on the farm and didn’t even know what football was until I was around 8 yrs old. We got
1 1/2 TV channels and my uncle came for one of the holidays. Him and I watched the Steelers get their azZ kicked and the bums they were (my uncles quote as he was for the other team). I was an underdog kid and fell in love from that day forth with the mighty PITTSBURGH STEELERS. The next season, they drafted Mean Joe Green And the rest is history.

Salute the nation

Stewey

Reaction score
Tomlins Phone call to Troy F.

"Welcome to the 'Burgh brother, you're our type of person and player...
btw...what position is it that you play again?"

No, just kidding.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
What I'm hearing from you is that Tomlin slipped out of the room when the hard work was going down, but returned when the party started.
Never a losing season, greatest coach ever. He don't need to be in no stinking draft room.
Shades has proven time and again that he can take whatever jabronis the GM sends him and through sheer football genius and force of will lead them to at minimum a .500 record.
Awesome.