• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Very early Sean Davis impressions.

ianv2012

Reaction score
When it comes to rookies, I'm okay with mistakes and getting beat. It happens. But I'd like to see them flash ability / make plays during the learning process. To date, I have yet to read anything positive on Davis.

As the title says it's VERY early! I'm not saying he's a bust, but I do think he's miscast in the slot.

How did Davis do yesterday when the ball came his way? Not so well as Described by Alex Korza who has a decent eye and play by play write up

1 ) Sean Davis mirrors Ayers well off the line of scrimmage but Ayers gets away on an out.

2 ) Norwood swaps hips with Davis off the line and gives him a little shove upfield as Norwood breaks inward. Gets separation, does everything right…and lets the ball into his chest and drops it. Bummer.

3 ) Sean Davis pitted against AB in the slot. Both the nickel player – Davis – and LCB – Garner – rush. That might be a new fire zone. Ben finds AB over the middle, who takes off across the field and down the right sideline.

0-3 on day four and day three wasn't so good either. While I don't expect a rookie to hang with Brown, I do expect some plays vs 5-8th WR types, and I have not seen any of them yet.

Hahahahaha you realize the third scenario includes him blitzing, or as Kozora said him and Garner were "rushing" and says this might be a new fire zone look, how can that count as a loss in coverage?? Hahaha really Coach? This why everyone says you disregard facts and fudge info to fit your narrative, that is fallacious argumentation sir......just...just stop

Black & Gold Bleeder

Forefather
Reaction score
I remember Ike Taylor sucking his rookie year. Hardly seen.

I remember Hines ward splitting time not playing and now a possible hoffer.. "wtf are we doing with this qb at wr..? "

why am I even trying to make sense here its day 2,,3? whatever..

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
I remember Ike Taylor sucking his rookie year. Hardly seen.

I remember Hines ward splitting time not playing and now a possible hoffer.. "wtf are we doing with this qb at wr..? "

why am I even trying to make sense here its day 2,,3? whatever..

And if Davis was a 4th or 5th round pick, it would not be as big of an issue. Talyor was a developmental 4th round pick.

Davis is off to a bad start. I'd like to see him start impressing a bit, which has not happened.

I know you didn't do much observation on his film or read the sourcing report on him. I did.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Hahahahaha you realize the third scenario includes him blitzing, or as Kozora said him and Garner were "rushing" and says this might be a new fire zone look, how can that count as a loss in coverage?? Hahaha really Coach? This why everyone says you disregard facts and fudge info to fit your narrative, that is fallacious argumentation sir......just...just stop

Dude, did it work or not? No, Brown had a big gain.

P

POP

You captured my face perfectly every time I read a Coach post or yours.

Who's the guy with the gun to your head making you read our posts?

Everyone who whines like a baby over reading others' posts looks ridiculous. NO ONE makes you read anyone's posts.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score

the point is that it wasn't Davis' coverage, are you playing dumb or what?

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
the point is that it wasn't Davis' coverage, are you playing dumb or what?

I listed all his plays, two were completion against. You'll see the day before was similar. Yeah, I pulling legs a bit on that, but the blitz did not work.

ZACKB

Reaction score
Davis is not a slot cb, he needs to play safety. We would be better off signing someone to play slot cb that playing Davis there.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score

Everyone who whines like a baby over reading others' posts looks ridiculous. NO ONE makes you read anyone's posts.

Apparently, a select few posters prefer to view their world through black and gold glasses, and when you about a Steeler player in a less than flattering light, they can't ignore the post.

Whatever, message boards are about opinions. I'm not going to change the way I post.

I think J Jones should be replaced. Chickillo is having a good start to camp for those who care to know. I just might start a thread on him :)

I was not a fan of the Davis pick, and judging by the write ups, he's beaten too often in coverage. But as bad as he performs, you can't call him a bust this season.

The rookie I felt would help us the most of-of the gate was Javon Hargrave. The rookie is as quick as advertised and should be able to help the team in 4 man fronts, which we play more often than not these days,

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Davis is not a slot cb, he needs to play safety. We would be better off signing someone to play slot cb that playing Davis there.

Agree 100% Davis was moved from corner to safety in college because he was getting beaten too often at corner. Why the Steelers are trying a safety who gave up a ton of yards and 10TD's as the slot man to me is a question mark.

Maybe they just want to see for themselves in camp. Nothing wrong there. B

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
Agree 100% Davis was moved from corner to safety in college because he was getting beaten too often at corner. Why the Steelers are trying a safety who gave up a ton of yards and 10TD's as the slot man to me is a question mark.

so his two starts as a Freshman were at safety...he started all the games his sophomore year at safety....sounds like he was a safety that was forced into playing corner some as a JR and Senior due to need

the write ups are on a drill that favors the offense....you don't really expect a safety to do excellent work matched up one on one with a WR in this drill....

ianv2012

Reaction score

Well for one you can't hit the QB so even if it did, the QB will still be allowed to finish and make a throw, so again how is that a negative in Davis's coverage ability? Even when presented with facts directly you sidestep and deflect the issue so you can believe your narrative remains pure and unbiased regardless of how many point out your faulty presupposition.

Steelerfan81

HERE WE GO
Forefather
Admin
Contributor
Reaction score

You have no idea what youre even talking about. He was a SAFETY forced to play CORNER last season due to INJURY

ianv2012

Reaction score

Not whining, hahaha but hey spin it anyway you want, and it's just hard not to see you and Coach posts because you flood the board.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
And if Davis was a 4th or 5th round pick, it would not be as big of an issue. Talyor was a developmental 4th round pick.

Davis is off to a bad start. I'd like to see him start impressing a bit, which has not happened.

I know you didn't do much observation on his film or read the sourcing report on him. I did.

And what credentials do you have that makes your film obersvations carry any weight around here???

Last edited:

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score

For being off to such a bad start--which I honestly don't know how you can evaluate without watching--Davis is getting a lot of reps at multiple positions.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...-the-Steelers-Draft-Crop/stories/201608020152

Sean Davis all along had the best chance of either starting or getting the most playing time among the rookies. With him filling in at slot cornerback for injured Senquez Golson again on Monday, he displayed the versatility he had at Maryland, where he played both safety and cornerback.

Chris BurkeVerified account ‏@ChrisBurke_SI 1h1 hour ago
Sean Davis took over Golson's nickel spot. Drafted a round later, but he's more plug-and-play than Artie Burns.

Adam Crowley ‏@adamcrowleySNR 17m17 minutes ago
Adam Crowley Retweeted Cody Wilcox
It's early, but Sean Davis is impressive. Artie Burns still needs work, but we knew that coming in.

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
in the last two days, about 70 plays for this drill have been written up....I see two from yesterday (Grant vs Norwood and Dangerfield vs Norwood) where the defender caused the ball not to be caught. On Sunday, I counted 4 where you could say the defender won the battle....Garner vs Severin, Dangerfield vs Tucker, Burns vs Coates and Shabazz vs Severin.....

Trying to call out Davis for poor coverage in this drill is absurd.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Coach only sees tweets or stories that Davis is struggling or had a bad play because then that will support his "Davis is a bad pick and I would of taken Nassib argument" anything positive written or said he will ignore like he will your post.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
The 6-1, 202-pound Davis blitzed on one play Monday and said if it was a game he would've had a sack.

Taken from an article that can't be posted. But you guys get my point. On the play where he blitzed it would of been a sack but you can't touch the QB.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
And what credentials do you have that makes your film obersvations carry any weight around here???

I played and coached. What did you do? perhaps neither. I watch the clips of draft prospects and read scouting reports. Do you? I doubt it.

Davis struggles in coverage.

Judging by your replies to what I posted, it looks like I have a stalker-like a fan.

Here's what the NFL.com had to say about Davis in coverage: Read it!

At times was disastrous in man coverage. Dinged for 614 yards receiving against him. Slow, upright backpedal and clunky when turning to run. Seemed to be too big and lacking in foot quickness needed to play cornerback. Flagged for four pass interferences, a late hit, and a personal foul this year. Charged with ten touchdowns allowed over last two seasons. Missed tackle numbers are troubling with 40 over last three years. Allows too much separation and can’t click and close on throws.

>>>Very Ealry in camp, he can't seem to cover WR's and I'm not talking about Brown, Wheaton or Coates.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
You have no idea what youre even talking about. He was a SAFETY forced to play CORNER last season due to INJURY

Mistake made. He was a saftey for 3 years and a corner for one.

Okay then why are the Steelers trying him a slot corner?

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
as others said, he was moved to CB From S because of injuries in Maryland (see Coach, you have to do your homework completely if you want to make an argument so it can be supported, that's how your posts become more logical and people won't jump at unbased opinions)
Of course he would struggle there because it's a new position and he isn't polished, But he got experience and that will help him in the NFL as a Safety and also as an emergency CB if needed.

Honestly the S I wanted in the second round was Simmons, but Davis was also well regarded and the Steeler's coaches saw him live and interviewed him, they definitly know better than me so I'll give Davis every chance he earns to prove himself on the field before calling him an early dissapointment because a couple of tweets I read.

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
>>>Very Ealry in camp, he can't seem to cover WR's and I'm not talking about Brown, Wheaton or Coates.

and as it has been pointed out to you...the drill favors the WR...No DB is doing well

in the last two days, about 70 plays for this drill have been written up....I see two from yesterday (Grant vs Norwood and Dangerfield vs Norwood) where the defender caused the ball not to be caught. On Sunday, I counted 4 where you could say the defender won the battle....Garner vs Severin, Dangerfield vs Tucker, Burns vs Coates and Shabazz vs Severin.....

Trying to call out Davis for poor coverage in this drill is absurd.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
and as it has been pointed out to you...the drill favors the WR...No DB is doing well

Some are making plays, others are not. Show me where Gay is not doing well