• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Very early Sean Davis impressions.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Taken from Steeler Depot. BY ALEX KOZORA JULY 31, 2016

http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN Home Page/2016/07/steelers-training-camp-diary-day-three/

When drafted I wasn't a fan of the Sean Davis pick. Main reason, his coverage was alarmingly bad. I have read Davis has not stood out at all. Below are two one on one match ups vs 5th to 7th type of WR's

Demarcus Ayers shows some really impressive explosion to jet away from Sean Davis downfield, making a catch down the sideline.

Norwood completes on a speed out. Came against Sean Davis.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
omg coach you are sooooo close..... One of these days wexell or even alby oxenriter will chime in and say those magic words.. that Davis is a bust.

I'm pulling for ya man.!!!

While I should not comment on people who do not post here, it has been my observation that Wexell is a bit of a fanboy when it comes to younger players and a bit too lenient on bad character types. He's not the type to call players a bust. He'd rather make nice in exchange for information and stroke his fan base that pays to read his stuff. Strictly my opinion. I'm not saying he's a bad guy.

It's very early, but when your #2 pick is being burned by your 7th round pick who lacks speed, and a 1st-year player few have heard of, it's alarming.

Burns is making mistakes but also doing some good things. I don't care if rookies make mental mistakes, but I do care if your first or second round pick do not flash the ability to make plays.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score

Like I said its very early, but it's clear you let blind patriotism trump objective reasoning. That's okay man, I understand

Davis is not off to a good start and it's not like he's being matched with Brown, Wheaton or Coates.

Let's see how this progresses.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Only you would cherry pick tweets to support your narrative after three practices. No mention of him blowing up plays in the backfield. You didn't see those tweets huh? The guy will play safety for us coach. Looking good in one on ones vs WRs will never be his strength but it is helping him for what we will asking him to do cover TEs. He will also be a core special teams player.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Like I said its very early, but it's clear you let blind patriotism trump objective reasoning. That's okay man, I understand

Davis is not off to a good start and it's not like he's being matched with Brown, Wheaton or Coates.

Yeah let's do that. How about you try it first.

P

POP

I doubt Davis makes the field come regular season other than ST. He is so raw that having out there when it counts will be too big a liability.

He is yet another in a long line of busts at DB in the 2nd-4th rounds.

Anthony Smith. Shark. Shields. And now Davis.

diver

Reaction score

I say this every year when after a practice or two a guy is struggling a bit. I have read more than one place that Jack Lambert was terrible at the Oklahoma Drill, which was one of the first things they did in camp in those days. So if they had every play media like they have today, Coach would be on here saying that Lambert looks like a bust. Nobody is comparing Davis to Lambert, so don't make that strawman argument. It is just something to consider.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Taken from Steeler Depot. BY ALEX KOZORA JULY 31, 2016

http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN Home Page/2016/07/steelers-training-camp-diary-day-three/

When drafted I wasn't a fan of the Sean Davis pick. Main reason, his coverage was alarmingly bad. I have read Davis has not stood out at all. Below are two one on one match ups vs 5th to 7th type of WR's

Demarcus Ayers shows some really impressive explosion to jet away from Sean Davis downfield, making a catch down the sideline.

Norwood completes on a speed out. Came against Sean Davis.

Did you read my report about the same exactly play?

Ayers showed some quickness on his cuts, but his catch of the day was just behind Davis where he adjusted to a ball thrown to the outside shoulder on a route down the sideline and made the reception in bounds.

By no means was Davis toasted. And to borrow a line form Wade Barrett, I'm afraid I've got some bad news, just about every defensive back gives up receptions on these drills. Just about the only misses come on poorly thrown balls by the quarterbacks.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
What a rookie making a bad play in practice??? You don't say. You would think someone would shy away from labeling people a bust so early but I digress

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Did you read my report about the same exactly play?

By no means was Davis toasted. And to borrow a line form Wade Barrett, I'm afraid I've got some bad news, just about every defensive back gives up receptions on these drills. Just about the only misses come on poorly thrown balls by the quarterbacks.

Doesn't fit his argument that Davis is a bust so that info will be ignored.

bmoritz

Reaction score
Good God really? After 3 days of his rookie TRAINING CAMP, he's a bust? Give the kid a break. That particular drill is designed to give the WR an advantage.

And POP, if he was a Patriot rookie, you'd be claiming how Belichick is a genius for "stealing" him in the second round.

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
the one on one drill favors the WR.....especially when they draw a safety.......

P

POP

Good God really? After 3 days of his rookie TRAINING CAMP, he's a bust? Give the kid a break. That particular drill is designed to give the WR an advantage.

And POP, if he was a Patriot rookie, you'd be claiming how Belichick is a genius for "stealing" him in the second round.

Lost-interest-boring.jpg

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Coach, you sound very much like TMC (though I kinda liked TMC) or another guy at the old Trib board. Its like you are more in love with your own knowledge and wisdom then the team. As many bad things as I've said about the Jarvis Jones pick, nothing would make me happier than him turning in a Pro Bowl season and contributing to the team winning a title.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
I say this every year when after a practice or two a guy is struggling a bit. I have read more than one place that Jack Lambert was terrible at the Oklahoma Drill, which was one of the first things they did in camp in those days. So if they had every play media like they have today, Coach would be on here saying that Lambert looks like a bust. Nobody is comparing Davis to Lambert, so don't make that strawman argument. It is just something to consider.

Diver

Lambert wasn't 220 pounds coming into camp as a rookie. He was a skinny 6'4" 200-pound kid. So maybe that had something to do with not doing well in that particular drill where weight means a lot? I think so!

But Jack was a hit right out of the gate. He won Lambert Defensive Rookie of the Year Award. Let's be real, Davis won't sniff that type of accolade as a rookie.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
seriously? a thread about a rookie after three training days? SMH Coach, keep rooting against him so you can say you were right... while every normal person will root for him to get better and better

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Of course the point goes right over his head.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
seriously? a thread about a rookie after three training days? SMH Coach, keep rooting against him so you can say you were right... while every normal person will root for him to get better and better

We're waiting for Coach to declare said rookie a bust

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Coach, you sound very much like TMC (though I kinda liked TMC) or another guy at the old Trib board. Its like you are more in love with your own knowledge and wisdom then the team. As many bad things as I've said about the Jarvis Jones pick, nothing would make me happier than him turning in a Pro Bowl season and contributing to the team winning a title.

There are quite a few posters here who know far more than the media does with their own observation on draft picks. That's a big reason why I spend most of my time here when it comes to Steeler news.

I've been wrong before. Big head and all! But I've also nailed Hood, Jones, Archer, Thomas, Allen, Brown, and others being poor draft picks.

My thoughts on the Davis pick the day he was drafted:

Round two. Saftey Lewis. Grade for Need A. Grade for Value in the round B- Grade for what type of player I think he will be in the NFL C+

While Davis checks many boxes for height, speed, and combine drills, I question his man cover skills. He's best as a classic in the box hitting type of safety who can force fumbles. Davis should be a very good kick coverage person. The trouble is the NFL demands safeties to cover well. Davis is flag prone 4 pass interference calls was flagged for a late hit and a personal foul. More worrisome is he gave up 10 touchdowns last season. He was ripped for 614 passing yards against last season and missed too many tackles. On film, he looked poor in coverage. Too many minuses here in coverage. Not a fan of this pick, and I'll say we could have done much better in round two.

My pick. OLB/DL Nassib He lead the nation in sacks, tackles for losses, and forced fumbles, and beat a decent group of tackles during the senior bowl week. Such a player can replace Jones at OLB, and add a lot of value in our 4 man fronts, which we play far more than our 3 man line. Nassib was in several of my mocks. He can explode after the snap. His hand use is impressive. His motor never stops.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
We're waiting for Coach to declare said rookie a bust

Won't happen. That takes at least two years for the B word, however, you can be darn sure if he looks like a disappointment, many will say so, myself included.

Remember the title of this thread is: Very early Sean Davis impressions.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Won't happen. That takes at least two years for the B word, however, you can be darn sure if he looks like a disappointment, many will say so, myself included.

Remember the title of this thread is: Very early Sean Davis impressions.

and you'd really like that to happen, don't you?

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Holy **** is it May?? Should I post a mock draft?? Are we still doing that cool simulator???

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
So all the others picks that have worked out how did you have those picks Coach. I mean you patting your back for the guys you said would suck. But what about the guys who have worked out and are major contributors..where did you have them??