• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Trent Richardson doesnt travel to New England with the Colts - "personal reasons"

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Trent Richardson doesnt travel to New England with the Colts - "personal reasons"

I'll admit to believing the Colts pulled one over on the Browns in that trade, but now... wouldn't surprise me to see the dude completely wash out of the league.

http://deadspin.com/trent-richardso...source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

Trent Richardson Didn't Travel To New England For "Personal Reasons"

As first reported by Kevin Bowen, Colts running back Trent Richardson did not travel with the team to New England for Sunday night's AFC Championship Game, for what were termed "personal reasons." There is no indication yet what those personal reasons are.

Two seasons ago the Colts traded a first round pick to the Browns for Richardson, hoping to pair him with Andrew Luck as their long-term quarterback/running back combo. But things have never quite worked out for Richardson in Indianapolis, and he was benched two months after being acquired, in favor of the guy he was supposed to replace. This season he was given another chance to make the job his, but over the second half of the season his carries diminished, with Chuck Pagano increasingly utilizing the combo of Dan Herron and Zurlon Tipton.

Richardson has performed so poorly that he didn't even play in last Sunday's divisional playoff game against the Broncos, being named inactive by Pagano. AL.com's Mark Inabinett captured the absurdity of what happened this week in reaction to that decision:

On Thursday, Richardson said that would never happen again.

On Friday, the man who decides if that does or doesn't happen again didn't second that motion.

On Sunday, the question will be moot.

Photo via Andy Lyons/Getty

Buster

Reaction score
I thought the same thing when that deal went down. What a bust. It's like he was meant to be a Brown.

Omar10213245

👀👂🎃🏈🍇🥑🍆🍋🪂🌞🌛🌜☂☔❄🌊🥴🤬🥺
Contributor
Reaction score
He had me fooled. Watching him @ Bama, I thought he'd be kickin *** and taking names at the pro level, that Bama o-line did major work during his time there

Troglodyte

Reaction score
What had he done at the time of the trade to make you believe the Colts got the better of the deal? They gave up a first rounder for a player that had produced damn little.

Brian M

Reaction score
In retrospect, it was one of the best moves the Browns made. Unfortunately, they used the pick to get Johnny Manziel.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
What had he done at the time of the trade to make you believe the Colts got the better of the deal? They gave up a first rounder for a player that had produced damn little.

as a rookie...in CLEVELAND... he had 3 100+ yard games, and finished with almost 1000 rushing yards.
along with 11 touchdowns.
again, as a rookie.

his 2nd season in Cleveland, he was traded two games into the season.

though I will readily admit that when watching him vs Ahmad Bradshaw during the regular season, you could easily see that Trent was slow and plodding in comparison.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
In retrospect, it was one of the best moves the Browns made. Unfortunately, they used the pick to get Johnny Manziel.

Only the "browns" could fluck up a good deal. Proven over and over, again and again.

Salute the nation

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
As an alum of 'Bama - he really upsets me as of late...shameful (until I get the whole story that is)...

Crimsonsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
He had me fooled. Watching him @ Bama, I thought he'd be kickin *** and taking names at the pro level, that Bama o-line did major work during his time there
B

For real. He was an absolute beast in college. Can't figure this one out. Disappointed in Trent.

I

Idioteque

I remember the first time I heard him mentioned as a blue-chip, top-of-draft prospect. It was on a long run of his in 2010 (I guess). Think he was playing Florida and broke off a long one. The analysts were raving about such tremendous speed and playmaking ability from a bigger back. I didn't see any of it. Looked like a normal-speed, normal-bodied college back. The kind of guy who will pop in workouts but didn't show that athleticism on the field. Couldn't believe I was agreeing with Jim Dumbfuck Brown, but I just didn't see anything special there.

As a rookie, he was OK. Consistent for 3-4 yards, but no explosion whatsoever. Now, he's barely a roster-able talent, as he doesn't play a ST role that your #2/#3 RB should to justify his roster spor. He's surprisingly shown some wiggle when untouched, but he's one of the NFL's worst regular RBs at generating yardage after contact.

papillon

Reaction score

They're the Browns for a reason.

Papillon

STEELERS R GR8

Reaction score
I am not gonna lie after last week I was thinking the the Colts were gonna release him this off season and that he would be a nice back up plan for Bell. Now I am not so sure about that, this guy must have some kind of problem and I want nothing to do with him. I was thinking he would fit in nice here, and would be a good fit for us after watching us bring in Blount and Tate. What a shame I will be watching to see what comes of this but the guy has talent and as a back up for us I like it.....just as long as his head was right if not I have not interest.

skialta

Reaction score
Racist woman beating **** Jim Brown told your ***** on draft day that Trent wasn't going to be ****!

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I am not gonna lie after last week I was thinking the the Colts were gonna release him this off season and that he would be a nice back up plan for Bell.

LeGarrette Blount II, but without the talent or motivation??

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Cleveland though he was valuable enough to spend a high round pick on him... if that doesn't scream "Utter and Total Worthless Bust" I don't know what does......

FAB802

Contributor
Reaction score
What a suck ***. I was completely wrong on this one. I figured if he was as solid as he was for the Stains that he would have more opportunities with a better team around him and a QB in Indy. The Stains made out like bandits, but they're still the Stains.

Atlsteelers

Reaction score
They should have listened to Jim Brown...

Jim Brown Pic
Getty Images
Cleveland Browns Hall of Fame running back Jim Brown wasn’t thrilled with the team’s selection of Trent Richardson in last month’s first round, and he made those feelings clear on the draft’s first day.

Though Brown has upset the fanbase in front of which he once thrived, he’s not backing down from his evaluation of Richardson as an “ordinary” talent.

“I think the kid is a good working back, and if you’ve got everything else around him he can play his role,” Brown told ESPN Cleveland. “But when it comes to outstanding, I don’t see anything outstanding about him. It’s not said in a cruel manner. He’s very efficient, and that’s what you want.”

Pressed further on his evaluations by ESPN Cleveland’s Tony Grossi, Brown even questioned club president Mike Holmgren’s commitment to the team.

“What have I said about the Browns other than the fact that Richardson is an ordinary back?” Brown asked, rhetorically. “There’s so much I could say. So you tell all those people that want to look at me, look at what you’ve got. You’re sitting on a mess. You’ve got a guy that doesn’t give interviews except in other cities. I ask all the people in Cleveland, do you get the impression that Mr. Holmgren wants to be there? If you do, then tell me.”

In the interview with Grossi, Brown went on to say Richardson lacks “special” running back traits while reiterating that Richardson’s “speed and quickness” is “ordinary.”

“He’ll work hard for you, and he’s kind of an all-around back,” Brown said. “But if you look at Cleveland, I would have gotten me a couple of receivers.”

I

Idioteque

What a suck ***. I was completely wrong on this one. I figured if he was as solid as he was for the Stains that he would have more opportunities with a better team around him and a QB in Indy. The Stains made out like bandits, but they're still the Stains.

Yep! Turned the pick they got for T-Rich into Johnny Football.

ark steel

Reaction score
IIRC, Idio is the only one that nailed the analysis of Richardson at the time of the trade.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
that he did. I was factoring the Cleveland aspect into it, thinking he'd thrive within a legit offense.