• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Tough love from Ben to Martavis

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Sometimes I think he doesn't read my posts .

Who are you? I thought you were just a news-bot that regurgitated blogs. ;- )

keslerclan

Reaction score
YES, Bryant ran a lethargic route on the pick BUT even IF he ran a perfect route and was there to catch the ball...it would have been a BAD play. No first down, not even a chance of one with 2 defenders between him and the marker.

This play is MOSTLY on Ben and Haley. It was ill-conceived (no room), and even IF Bryant 'rubs' the LB by driving through the coverage and into the seam, AB has no room left to work with because the sideline is on him.

Ben AND Haley needs to spread the ball around like they did the last 2 times we played the Bungles. Everyone had about 10 targets (avg). Heath had more than AB. The RB and WRs (not named AB) also got some balls thrown their way. The difference in the first game was Ben threw 3 picks. He had a good day passing otherwise. He needs to STOP going to AB on 5 out of every 7 throws. This gives the defense an advantage and will also result in turnovers.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
I'm starting to question your reading comprehension, I've said Ben has made bad throws and decisions, do you just skip over that?
You ***** about me saying the WR's have let him down on a few plays the past couple games, that's a no-no, but it's perfectly fine for you to give the WR's credit for bailing him out?

This past game, he ended up with a QB rating of 103 and we won by double digits, so it's not like him or the offense were total garbage.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
You don't use data correctly or consistently.

We shall test this. Tomlin is 0-3 in his last playoff games. If if goes to 0-4 vs Marvin Lewis who is 0-6 on playoffs games, some fans will unleash hell, but I'm sure you'll be telling us it's not so or unfair.

My use of data which is 3rd party is fine. You're ability to understand and comprehend it is often not. Your replies are often off target and have little to do with what I or other posters are saying.

Just admit non-fanboy or negative posts that agitate you.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
You know what I would love to see. DHB and Bryant running go routes while AB runs an option route depending on where the safeties go with DHB and Bryant going deep and have Wheaton run a drag route for a safety valve and the RB max protect. I think AB would be open all day long. And if they covered him that would leave DHB or Bryant streaking down the field.

bigtwnvin

Reaction score
You know what I would love to see. DHB and Bryant running go routes while AB runs an option route depending on where the safeties go with DHB and Bryant going deep and have Wheaton run a drag route for a safety valve and the RB max protect. I think AB would be open all day long. And if they covered him that would leave DHB or Bryant streaking down the field.
I would love to see AJ McCarron get dropped one too many times enough so that he thinks he is still playing for Alabama with Julio Jones.

mdk2

Reaction score
Just watched an interview with Martavis from today(Steelers.com).. He said he has no problem with Ben calling him out and actually said he was glad Ben did. They talked privately, as well.
He said what they talked about was brother to brother and will be kept private. He looks/sounds focused and ready to go.
I think we see Martavis come up big.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
Ben and Bryant are pretty close, Ben texted or called him every day Bryant was in Texas at the beginning of the season dealing with his drug issues.

SteelerAl

Reaction score
Tomlin is 0-3 in his last playoff games.

That is a fact; however, it is also true that only an idiot or a troll would be so arbitrary to create (and repeat endlessly) a stat which includes the loss in Super Bowl 45 but not the two wins that got us there. A non-troll would say something like this:

"The last two times we've made the playoffs, we've been one-and-done. I feel Tomlin should be on the hot seat if that happens again."

"We missed the playoffs in 2 of the past 4 seasons, and I think - with the talent we have had here, including a franchise QB - the standard should be higher than that."

Ironcitysteelers

What do I put here? **** it.
Contributor
Reaction score
Just watched an interview with Martavis from today(Steelers.com).. He said he has no problem with Ben calling him out and actually said he was glad Ben did. They talked privately, as well.
He said what they talked about was brother to brother and will be kept private. He looks/sounds focused and ready to go.
I think we see Martavis come up big.

He is the player hat needs fed early to get going not AB. AB will always be able to get in high gear. Let's get MB involved with some short passes, screens or crossing routes. Get him and Ben going.

Then 5 wide all day.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
YES, Bryant ran a lethargic route on the pick BUT even IF he ran a perfect route and was there to catch the ball...it would have been a BAD play. No first down, not even a chance of one with 2 defenders between him and the marker.

This play is MOSTLY on Ben and Haley. It was ill-conceived (no room), and even IF Bryant 'rubs' the LB by driving through the coverage and into the seam, AB has no room left to work with because the sideline is on him.

Ben AND Haley needs to spread the ball around like they did the last 2 times we played the Bungles. Everyone had about 10 targets (avg). Heath had more than AB. The RB and WRs (not named AB) also got some balls thrown their way. The difference in the first game was Ben threw 3 picks. He had a good day passing otherwise. He needs to STOP going to AB on 5 out of every 7 throws. This gives the defense an advantage and will also result in turnovers.

The issue with Martavis' route on that particular play was that it would have been designed one of three ways, the first would be to cross Wheaton's route entirely and catch the ball on the confusion on the other side, this is probably not the play. The second would be the comeback route, in which case he was stopped and gave the safety a path to the ball... I also think this was not the play... the third would be to fake the sideline go route and then cut back across... wheatons route would have pulled the underneath stuff and the safety has to commit deep when he starts for the sidelines even if Ben is eyeing him pre snap... go back and watch, if he does that, when he breaks inside Ben's throw puts it in place for him to catch it and run inside while the coverage is going the wrong way.... what he ran let the safety break on it before he was even out of the route... For the record, NFL QBs throw into some type of "coverage" 90% of the time... its routes and reads that get the ball to the receiver in the split seconds that he comes open. While ben has made some bad throws lately, I think this particular one was every bit as much on Bryant as Ben.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
The issue with Martavis' route on that particular play was that it would have been designed one of three ways, the first would be to cross Wheaton's route entirely and catch the ball on the confusion on the other side, this is probably not the play. The second would be the comeback route, in which case he was stopped and gave the safety a path to the ball... I also think this was not the play... the third would be to fake the sideline go route and then cut back across... wheatons route would have pulled the underneath stuff and the safety has to commit deep when he starts for the sidelines even if Ben is eyeing him pre snap... go back and watch, if he does that, when he breaks inside Ben's throw puts it in place for him to catch it and run inside while the coverage is going the wrong way.... what he ran let the safety break on it before he was even out of the route... For the record, NFL QBs throw into some type of "coverage" 90% of the time... its routes and reads that get the ball to the receiver in the split seconds that he comes open. While ben has made some bad throws lately, I think this particular one was every bit as much on Bryant as Ben.

Damn you're smart.