• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Tough love from Ben to Martavis

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Bryant will show up on Sunday...he'll be called upon especially with Williams out of the offense. He's due for a good game.

Don't care to much for sunday's showing, but SATURDAY evening is pretty important.............lol

Kind of ironic that Ben calls him out when he injured his neck trying to make a tackle on a pick Ben threw lol

Bryant got lazy and rounded his inward cut allowing the defender to gain inside access. Ben threw the ball to where bryant was suppose to be. So, ironicly martavious was saving his own ***. Thus the stare down from ben to bryant after the play.

Salute the nation

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
Bryant was told to elevate his game, to take it higher, if you will. He also needs tougher skin, perhaps stoned skin would be thick enough...

Plus his next game will be played on grass!!

Let's go self-medicator, we need production!

USDA#1

Forefather
Reaction score
Bryant isn't mentally tough, I think we know that from last year. He will crumble, take to the chronic, and fail another drug test. Mark my words.
I'm sure they found something to prescribe him within the rules, lol...

Omar10213245

๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘‚๐ŸŽƒ๐Ÿˆ๐Ÿ‡๐Ÿฅ‘๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ‹๐Ÿช‚๐ŸŒž๐ŸŒ›๐ŸŒœโ˜‚โ˜”โ„๐ŸŒŠ๐Ÿฅด๐Ÿคฌ๐Ÿฅบ
Contributor
Reaction score
Well, not only did he have the flu, but he sprained his neck too. I think he will be ready to play this week.

Flu AND a sprained neck?? Now that's what I call a ****** day

Bigappleyinzer

Reaction score
Bryant got lazy and rounded his inward cut allowing the defender to gain inside access. Ben threw the ball to where bryant was suppose to be. So, ironicly martavious was saving his own ***. Thus the stare down from ben to bryant after the play.

I am sorry, but that INT was 90% on Ben:
56591e2a49480cc98a8ae3a6d23cc361.gif

First- Ben stares down Bryant during the entire play
Second- He STILL decided to throw it despite the fact that Bryant was double covered.

I suppose if Bryant doesnt round off his route, he has a chance at playing 'DB' and preventing the INT. But there was almost 0% of Bryant catching that ball.

Hell, Bryant probably saw the double coverage and pulled up, figuring that Ben would throw else where. And Ben should have.

SteelerAl

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with what he said. He praised Bryant throughout the interview. He just said he needs to step up to his abilities. Maybe coach flim flam should take notes.

This is nonsense. Tomlin and Ben are clearly doing the Good Cop / Bad Cop routine. I'm sure they talk about the best way to handle / motivate Martavis nearly every day.

SteelerAl

Reaction score
As far as that interception goes, it seems to be Ben's fault to me. Bryant might have run a terrible route, but the ball should never have gone there in the first place. Ben has not been seeing the defense with clarity the past couple weeks.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
Batch, Hoge, Hoke etc have all said Bryant messed that route up and it's not just the top of the route, he was supposed to angle inward toward the DB, he ran to vertical from what I've heard, but I'll take the word of a former qb, and players.

DocScott

Contributor
Reaction score
Don't care to much for sunday's showing, but SATURDAY evening is pretty important.............lol

Bryant got lazy and rounded his inward cut allowing the defender to gain inside access. Ben threw the ball to where bryant was suppose to be. So, ironicly martavious was saving his own ***. Thus the stare down from ben to bryant after th

Salute the nation

My bad, I meant Saturday. Time for me to get into playoff mode too!!!

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN ...lers-film-room-ben-roethlisbergers-first-int/

Haley may deserve some blame

miiike

Contributor
Reaction score
My bad, I meant Saturday. Time for me to get into playoff mode too!!!

at this time of year you have to toughen up. You have to make tough [posts], you have to make tough [comments] and you have to find ways to do everything you can to help this [board]

SteelerAl

Reaction score
Batch, Hoge, Hoke etc have all said Bryant messed that route up and it's not just the top of the route, he was supposed to angle inward toward the DB, he ran to vertical from what I've heard, but I'll take the word of a former qb, and players.

Please, Coryea, we all know your MO. The players that you love (Ben, Willie Parker, Casey Hampton, Joey Porter etc.) have never made a mistake on the football field. Anything that's ever gone wrong has been someone else's fault. How can you look at the film and not place a reasonable amount of blame on Ben? A better route by Martavis might have resulted in him being able to bail out Ben by breaking up the interception.

keslerclan

Reaction score
Two things happened on the play that weren't Bryant's fault.

1. The play concept is GOOD and would work IF we were on the RIGHT hash-mark instead of the LEFT. It was a play designed to go to AB (who else?) He was covered by a LB in the flat. Being that it started at the left hash-mark, it gave the play less of a chance because the sideline was so close to where he would not have as much room to turn upfield for the 1st down. THAT is on Haley.

2. The second thing that happened is that the S jumps the route. Ben should have seen that the play wasn't developing and just gotten rid of the ball. (he was about to get hit) Instead, he tried to force it in.

What WAS Bryant's fault was that the play is designed for him to run towards the seam. You can see he started to but instead of "picking" the LB with his route, he avoids contact by going more vertical which allows the LB to mirror AB and allows the "jump" on the route by the S. Watch the play...

This play would have been better called on the OTHER side as the field was wider in that direction.
Ben should have seen what happened and chucked it out of bounds.
Too many plays are designed for AB who ANY defense is going to try to take out of our game-plan.

While Bryant shares some guilt in this, the bigger factor was the play call and subsequent execution by our QB.

I know Bryant has failed to deliver in recent weeks but the predictable TREND of AB getting 20 targets a game while Bryant gets 3 IS a BIG factor too.

SteelerAl

Reaction score
I know Bryant has failed to deliver in recent weeks but the predictable TREND of AB getting 20 targets a game while Bryant gets 3 IS a BIG factor too.

To be fair, Bryant caught 10 passes against the Broncos defense (being covered by Talib no less). He didn't do much against Baltimore for sure. But he barely played against the Browns. After that interception, he was either injured or benched or both. He can't be targeted when he's not on the field.

Coryea

Forefather
Reaction score
Please, Coryea, we all know your MO. The players that you love (Ben, Willie Parker, Casey Hampton, Joey Porter etc.) have never made a mistake on the football field. Anything that's ever gone wrong has been someone else's fault. How can you look at the film and not place a reasonable amount of blame on Ben? A better route by Martavis might have resulted in him being able to bail out Ben by breaking up the interception.

Don't give me that ****! I guess you just didn't bother to read posts where I said the second INT was a ****** throw? Hmmmm it's quite an honor to know former players and the Pittsburgh media share my MO, I mean why else would they say that? WTF do Hampton, Porter, Parker have to do with this? Do you make this **** up to hear yourself talk?

SteelerAl

Reaction score
Don't give me that ****! I guess you just didn't bother to read posts where I said the second INT was a ****** throw? Hmmmm it's quite an honor to know former players and the Pittsburgh media share my MO, I mean why else would they say that? WTF do Hampton, Porter, Parker have to do with this? Do you make this **** up to hear yourself talk?

I apologize. I did miss where you placed some blame on Ben. Martavis did not do his job on that play which is what the local media is pointing out. I don't believe they are blaming Martavis 100% for the interception like you seem to believe.

Your past posts about Parker, Porter & Hampton simply lead me to believe that you will always find an excuse for Ben.

Last edited:

Coryea

Forefather
Reaction score
Not sure if you have me confused with someone else, but I don't recall ever making specific posts about those 3 players. As for the Ben pick, I thought it was a **** throw until I heard the post game and Batch was saying Bryant ran the wrong route, then heard Ben as well and both he and Batch described what Bryant was supposed to do there and they both said the exact same thing.
I hated the Vick signing, but I defended him in the Raven game when Brown dropped a TD pass.

SteelerAl

Reaction score
Not sure if you have me confused with someone else, but I don't recall ever making specific posts about those 3 players. As for the Ben pick, I thought it was a **** throw until I heard the post game and Batch was saying Bryant ran the wrong route, then heard Ben as well and both he and Batch described what Bryant was supposed to do there and they both said the exact same thing.
I hated the Vick signing, but I defended him in the Raven game when Brown dropped a TD pass.

Have you seen the All-22? You really can't depend on the media to get it right (I don't care if it's Batch or another former player or not). I think they base 99% of their opinion on the fact that Ben was seen yelling at Bryant after the play rather than from watching the tape.

I don't think Bryant ran the wrong route. I think he ran a lazy route, but it didn't make any difference because Ben never should have thrown the ball there. Maybe it was just a great defensive play. Gradkowski said the defense was in quarters coverage but the defender made an unusually aggressively play for that defense. He gambled and won. Still, it seems to me that Ben has been going to the wrong place against zone coverage far too much these past couple weeks. Even if Bryant "failed" him on that play, Heath Miller (and others) saved his *** a couple of times against the Browns. He really needs to tighten up.

Coryea

Forefather
Reaction score
Batch has been very critical of Ben as well on other bad picks, so he has no agenda either way. Wrs bail out their qb's all the time, see both the giants super bowls.
So now we are going to complain about receptions that were almost not receptions?

SteelerAl

Reaction score
Wrs bail out their qb's all the time, see both the giants super bowls. So now we are going to complain about receptions that were almost not receptions?

It took a heroic effort by Heath to prevent yet another interception on Sunday. Is it fair to point that out or not? We all saw it and said "Whew, way to save our *** on that one Heath!" when it happened...why do I have to pretend it never happened? It wasn't a one-off, Ben has made an alarming number of poor decisions with the ball the past couple of weeks.

I'm not some troll who is trying to argue Ben sucks, is overrated, is worse than Eli or Kirk Cousins. I ******* love the guy. But if he isn't a lot sharper on Saturday night, we won't stand a chance.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score

Al can be puzzling. Sometimes I think he doesn't read my posts either, and he hates data like points made.

Coryea

Forefather
Reaction score
He has made some bad decisions lately, I agree, and I never said he has been perfect, but it's ok to say the WR bailed him out, but it's not ok to blame the WR's?
He's also made alot of good throws that went for not because the WR's failed him, I guess that's ok to point out? Bryant in the Ravens game dropped a long pass, hit him right in the hands, that's a first down in FG range, if he stays on his feet that's six, game over. Wheaton this past weekend, in a close game runs an out instead of a flag route, he had a step on his man and that's a good chance that's six if he catches it. In the same Baltimore game, Brown has ball hit him right in the hands and he can't secure it for a TD.

SteelerAl

Reaction score
He has made some bad decisions lately, I agree, and I never said he has been perfect, but it's ok to say the WR bailed him out, but it's not ok to blame the WR's?
He's also made alot of good throws that went for not because the WR's failed him, I guess that's ok to point out? Bryant in the Ravens game dropped a long pass, hit him right in the hands, that's a first down in FG range, if he stays on his feet that's six, game over. Wheaton this past weekend, in a close game runs an out instead of a flag route, he had a step on his man and that's a good chance that's six if he catches it. In the same Baltimore game, Brown has ball hit him right in the hands and he can't secure it for a TD.

This is exactly why I brought up Joey Porter, Willie Parker and Casey Hampton earlier. Because - just like with Ben - you are incapable of saying one of your favorite players had a bad game or made a bad play. Everything that goes wrong is someone else's fault. You may start with one concession "he's made some bad decisions lately" but then you go right back into explaining how it's all someone else's fault.

By Ben's high standards, he has been pretty poor the past 2 weeks. I won't argue this with you any more, but it's just ******* true. It doesn't mean he hasn't throw some absolute darts. WRs drop passes and run a wrong route here and there every week. But "Good Ben" / "Normal Ben" doesn't throw so many passes that are either intercepted or nearly intercepted. I'm just really hoping "Good Ben" / "Normal Ben" takes the field on Saturday night.