• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Tomlin Wednesday Press Conference

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I've yet to re-watch the game, so I'll reserve judgement on the play of Heyward (who is a DT, not a DE, btw) and Tuitt until I see it again.

What I can tell you for certain is that other NFL coaching staffs construct their game plans and make in-game adjustments around the perceived weaknesses of their opponents. Tomlin doesn't. His "Nameless Gray Faces" approach is focused on his players doing what they do, not good strategy. Why do you think Cleveland was so much better prepared for this game, even though they played the Steelers' backups the week before? Because they knew Tomlin was going to have the same plan. They adjusted. Tomlin didn't.

Maybe you're right...perhaps it's as simple as Heyward AND Tuitt forgetting how to play good football on the interior line. I have a hard time believing that.

I don't have to watch again. Heyward and Tuitt were not good enough. Heyward should be a notch below Aaron Donald. Tuitt a notch below that. Neither did much. Heyward often seems an arm length from the ball carrier and does nothing. They both had yoyo seasons.

black and gold apex

Reaction score
Was surprised the media asked soft questions and not some hard fact questions. One tried once and Tomlin skirted around it only once did he mention him in the equation of wrong doing/

ZonaBurgh

My Opinions Are Awesome!
Contributor
Reaction score
I didn't watch the press conference, but from what I gather from comments here, there is no reason to search for it.

SojournerSteel

Reaction score
My wife asked me why our backups played better against cleveland the week before than our starters did in the playoff game...I had no answer. I guess it's just plain old arrogance on the part of Steeler coaches and players...and that is ****** up. The Steelers haven't won **** in 12 years.

Women's intuition. She has Tomlin sized up from the jump it sounds like.

black and gold apex

Reaction score
Tomlin was not disrespectful, but the question on Ben deserved better. Ben seems once more to be the poser child of disrespect. The man took us to three Super Bowls and won two, The third except for a fumble may have been three. He has led winning drives for the Steelers how many times, yet all the **** coverage of one game Ben is treated like third class back up QB. No media or Tomlin pointing at the head coach, the defense and especially if Tomlin did take over a lackluster defense against the Brown's, Sad Ben deserves much better, from Tomlin, this organization and especially the players, that for once have kept mouths shut on the social media trail and stand up for Ben. Just unacceptable.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Good afternoon,

I'll start with a quick synopses of the last game... We were the grapes.. um, they made us into wine and drank us.

Changes are going to be made this offseason.. specifically, with the interns.. we'll see who we bring back.

Guys, I had another winning regular season.. once we get into the dance, anything can happen. Ben lost us the game, I did my job and my defense did their part.

Thank you.

MT acknowledged many things today on this journey in the game of football and accepted that and allowed that changes are a part of life obviously, and things of that nature.

We dropped my wife's minivan off at the shop tonight, we're driving back home and 93.7 was replaying MT's presser and she didn't understand why I started laughing out loud.

nothing about the OC, OL and DC coaches cleaning out their lockers?
The Steelers haven't fired any coaches in about ten years, they just wait for their contracts to run out and don't renew them.
I don't know Butler's and Fichtner's contract status but I'd say that if they're still under contract there is better than a 50% chance they will be back. Art The Deuce is getting like Mike Brown, he isn't paying anyone not to work no matter how bad they are at their job.

Last edited:

Paul G

Bleed Black 'n' Gold
Contributor
Reaction score
Just read this on NFL.com

Tomlin remarks

"It has been a disappointment. I'm not going to maintain status quo and hope the outcome changes. That's the definition of insanity," he told reporters Wednesday, per ESPN.

Hope the front office is thinking the same thing

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Just read this on NFL.com

Tomlin remarks

"It has been a disappointment. I'm not going to maintain status quo and hope the outcome changes. That's the definition of insanity," he told reporters Wednesday, per ESPN.

Hope the front office is thinking the same thing

No, but the intern who is the assistant ball washer and kicking tee picker-upper should update his resume.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
I don't have to watch again. Heyward and Tuitt were not good enough. Heyward should be a notch below Aaron Donald. Tuitt a notch below that. Neither did much. Heyward often seems an arm length from the ball carrier and does nothing. They both had yoyo seasons.

I don't know anybody who thinks Heyward is on Aaron Donald's level.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
MT acknowledged many things today on this journey in the game of football and accepted that and allowed that changes are a part of life obviously, and things of that nature.

We dropped my wife's minivan off at the shop tonight, we're driving back home and 93.7 was replaying MT's presser and she didn't understand why I started laughing out loud.

The Steelers haven't fired any coaches in about ten years, they just wait for their contracts to run out and don't renew them.
I don't know Butler's and Fichtner's contract status but I'd say that if they're still under contract there is better than a 50% chance they will be back. Art The Deuce is getting like Mike Brown, he isn't paying anyone not to work no matter how bad they are at their job.

I believe both their contracts are up.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
I believe both their contracts are up.

Correct, Fichtner was fir...errr...I mean not renewed. Butler was inexplicably given a one year extension. As mentioned elsewhere, it's really Shades' defense and firing Butler would be like firing himself. We know how often Shades admits he was wrong,

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Totally agree Ron Burgundy but my next question is "Will cool shades actually hire the next OC or promote Canada?'

If Canada is promoted then some will change but Tomlin will still have his hands all over it, similar to Fichtner. If Tomlin hires then nearly same scenerio May occure.

I want an established OC who can be strong enough to incorporate in install a game by game plan. One that stands up a little to conservative Tomlin BS that seems to creep into everything.

Salute the nation

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Totally agree Ron Burgundy but my next question is "Will cool shades actually hire the next OC or promote Canada?'

If Canada is promoted then some will change but Tomlin will still have his hands all over it, similar to Fichtner. If Tomlin hires then nearly same scenerio May occure.

I want an established OC who can be strong enough to incorporate in install a game by game plan. One that stands up a little to conservative Tomlin BS that seems to creep into everything.
Depends how much Ben likes Canada and if he wants to play another year. I think they will promote Canada unless another team makes an offer that the Steelers don't want to match.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Depends how much Ben likes Canada and if he wants to play another year. I think they will promote Canada unless another team makes an offer that the Steelers don't want to match.

It shouldn't matter how much Ben likes the guy. He at most has one year left and if he plays like he did down the stretch, this team won't make the playoffs. He was a different QB over the final 6-7 games than he was for the first part of the year. I'm not interested in the stats he put up against the soft defense after the Steelers were down. I'm more worried about the ineptitude our offense had in the first half of all of those games. Unless we build a beast OL and get a starting running back in the offseason to take a significant burden off the passing game, I don't see the Steelers doing well next year if Ben is back because I don't think he's physically capable of playing well for an entire season. It's either let him ride it out and let him go out on his own terms without any chance of a title or tell him it's over and start the post-Ben era.