• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Tomlin Wednesday Press Conference

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
Mike Tomlin is Eric Mangini without Big Ben.

Confluence

Contributor
Reaction score
Quotes to look for:
1. We look forward to the challenge
2. Going back to the lab
3. The standard is the standard
4. Next man up
5. Not going to make excuses
6. Above/Below the Line
7. Don't live in our fears
8. Is what it is
9. Obviously
10. That was a non-issue
11. Appreciate their efforts
12. Throughout the journey
13. Splash
14. We don't run away from that
15. Pain associated with...
16. Scarcity in opportunities
17. Routine plays routinely
18. Cumulative body of work
We should have an SN Tomlin Bingo Pool.

You know, instead of the fun pools fans do when their team is in the SB.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

SojournerSteel

Reaction score
Didn't watch any live games this year,but did follow a few games on the Internet and a quarter or 2 in replays.

I don't feel like I missed a thing for many reasons. I was drawn in a little toward the end and curious to see if this is it for Ben as he has been a favorite.

But, the Steelers are going to double down on Shades just like after the Jags debacle. Can't see myself being interested in the team until a new coach is brought in with an identity and fresh ideas.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
if the guy had a fiber of integrity he would present his resignation the day after the loss

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
I only watched part of the playoff loss because I didn't want to miss what might be Ben's last game. I couldn't watch it all because I am very familiar with Tomlin's playoff track record. I kept my mouth shut here, but told a few friends and Mrs. Fan, that we are not winning the game. Sucks. Just sucks.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
Those nameless gray faces from Cleveland somehow kicked the Steelers' ***. Even their second-string offensive linemen with less of a name and more of a gray face.

stuntmanmike

Contributor
Reaction score
So funny last year labriola was interviewing butler neither one knew that the bengals tight end had been out for the season! Incredibally pathetic!... as coach Noll use to say.. time for these gentlemen to get on with their life’s work.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Same old we look forward to the challenge.... we all look for another meltdown December and January,,,wake up Art

Art could be the biggest problem. A team can not fire its owner. If Art wants to let Tomlin play out his contract, so he won't have to fire him, fine.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Quotes to look for:
2. Going back to the lab
4. Next man up
6. Above/Below the Line
8. Is what it is
9. Obviously
10. That was a non-issue
13. Splash

3-7 in his last ten playoff games. Another late season collapse. Finger pointing with the guy he hired.

diver

Reaction score
Those nameless gray faces from Cleveland somehow kicked the Steelers' ***. Even their second-string offensive linemen with less of a name and more of a gray face.

Maybe the Steelers highly compensated DEs, Heyward and Tuitt, might actually beat a 2nd string lineman. They sucked on Sunday night.

Look, I am all for Tomlin being fired. I am sick of this as well. But he can take a few guys with him, like the coordinators and some players that continue to underachieve in big spots. There are others, but I don't know if I have ever seen 2 guys come up so consistently small in big games like those 2.

Steel G

Reaction score
Quotes to look for:
2. Going back to the lab
4. Next man up
6. Above/Below the Line
8. Is what it is
9. Obviously
10. That was a non-issue
13. Splash

"Won't seek comfort" is another one.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
He better not give his usual bullshit. This was an all time embarrassment, I want to know he's pissed and embarrassed as well.

Muddler

Reaction score
Quotes to look for:
2. Going back to the lab
4. Next man up
6. Above/Below the Line
8. Is what it is
9. Obviously
10. That was a non-issue
13. Splash

Very nice list, here's a couple more we are likely to hear: "We own it", "junior varsity"

mdk2

Reaction score
Tomlin asked if the organization made a decision on whether Ben will be back next year or not...Tomlin said they have to assess it.
IMO, with a 1st ballot HOF, you say you want him back even if you think he should retire.

LastRide

Reaction score
I missed it. Did they ask him if he called all the plays ?.

SojournerSteel

Reaction score
He better not give his usual bullshit. This was an all time embarrassment, I want to know he's pissed and embarrassed as well.

Does anyone even have a guess at what Tomlin is ultimately responsible for? I have no idea, except, "nothing."

mightyguru

On a cloud...
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

My wife asked me why our backups played better against cleveland the week before than our starters did in the playoff game...I had no answer. I guess it's just plain old arrogance on the part of Steeler coaches and players...and that is ****** up. The Steelers haven't won **** in 12 years.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
My wife asked me why our backups played better against cleveland the week before than our starters did in the playoff game...I had no answer. I guess it's just plain old arrogance on the part of Steeler coaches and players...and that is ****** up. The Steelers haven't won **** in 12 years.

week 17 nothing to lose, we were much more aggressive on O and D. Cleveland made adjustments and ultra conservative Tomlin came back in the playoffs.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe the Steelers highly compensated DEs, Heyward and Tuitt, might actually beat a 2nd string lineman. They sucked on Sunday night.

Look, I am all for Tomlin being fired. I am sick of this as well. But he can take a few guys with him, like the coordinators and some players that continue to underachieve in big spots. There are others, but I don't know if I have ever seen 2 guys come up so consistently small in big games like those 2.

I've yet to re-watch the game, so I'll reserve judgement on the play of Heyward (who is a DT, not a DE, btw) and Tuitt until I see it again.

What I can tell you for certain is that other NFL coaching staffs construct their game plans and make in-game adjustments around the perceived weaknesses of their opponents. Tomlin doesn't. His "Nameless Gray Faces" approach is focused on his players doing what they do, not good strategy. Why do you think Cleveland was so much better prepared for this game, even though they played the Steelers' backups the week before? Because they knew Tomlin was going to have the same plan. They adjusted. Tomlin didn't.

Maybe you're right...perhaps it's as simple as Heyward AND Tuitt forgetting how to play good football on the interior line. I have a hard time believing that.