• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Thoughts on the 49ers game

AggieSteel

Contributor
Reaction score
My thoughts on the 49ers game:

I thought Tomlin did a terrible job blocking up front, he hardly gave the QB enough time to pass and did little to nothing opening holes in the run game. When lined-up at QB, Tomlin hurried his passes through the first half, leading to 3-and-outs. That's not what you look for in a starting NFL QB. Playing RB, Tomlin was tentative, ran into the backs of blockers, failed to gain ground on critical third downs. Playing WR & TE, Tomlin couldn't shake loose to catch any passes, and his blocking, here too, was below the line. His playcalling was atrocious, and Tomlin proved yet again he's a miserable offensive coordinator, given the gameplan and lack of adjustments.

To his credit, Tomlin made a couple of gimme FG's, and punted the ball fairly well. Could be better, but Tomlin could have done worse in the kicking game. To nobody's surprise, Tomlin was invisible in the return game, really bummed we let Diontae Spencer go to keep him as our designated return man.

Tomlin faired even worse on defense, put up little resistance on the D-line, letting the 9ers gash us for big runs up the middle. Playing LB, Tomlin showed he was a step slow and ended up mostly jumping on the pile after the whistle was blown. No QB pressures, a bunch of missed tackles, Tomlin seemed lost out there much of the game. In the secondary, Tomlin let his guard down time and time again, giving up one big play after another. When on the sidelines, he was terrible as LB coach, couldn't scheme his way out of a paper bag. And Tomlin proved what we already knew, he's a terrible fit as a defensive line coach and as a secondary coach. Looking at the entire defensive performance, it was clear Tomlin called a terrible game as defensive coordinator, couldn't get the right match-ups, or make the right calls when they were most needed.

Overall, I say this game was all on Tomlin. It was clearly his fault we lost this game. Hopefully the Steelers - and Mike Tomlin - will fair better against the Bengals on Monday night.

I know you’re being sarcastic, but you’re honestly making the best case FOR the point you are arguing against.

If the ENTIRE team is playing badly and all playing worse than we’ve seen them play before, who else can you look at? You can look at the players themselves, but I mean, don’t you think it requires a bit of root cause analysis to understand why an entire team of men is underperforming compared to what we’ve seen from them before?

I mean, we can look at the position coaches, or the coordinators, but who do they roll up to?

It would be one thing if a few players here and there were underperforming. Then ok a few players didn’t have it that day. But you can’t because almost nobody had it yesterday.

It would be one thing if you could isolate one position unit that is struggling and maybe blame a position coach. But you can’t.

It would be one thing if you could isolate one side of the ball that is struggling and blame a coordinator. But you can’t. Both sides of the ball were trash.

What is the least common multiple when you can’t isolate a single player, position group/unit, or side of the ball?

If you’re trashing the whole team’s effort, then by definition, you ARE trashing Tomlin. Period.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
My thoughts on the game were this: I knew without a shadow of a doubt that the 49ers would come back and win this contest after losing four turnovers and only being down by 6 points. Here's a recap of the turnovers:

#1 Easy screen pass thrown behind Breida, pops right into TJ's hands.
#2 Another poor pass tipped right into Fitz's hands. A nice play by Haden, but a good quarterback never even tries to force it into that coverage.
#3 Great hit by Fitz, helmet right on the ball.
#4 A fumbled snap.

So, they basically handed the Steelers the ball three times, and the game ended with Pittsburgh enjoying a +3 turnover margin. From 2005-2018, NFL teams with a +3 in that department were 372-35-1. That's 91.4%

You just can't lose those types of games.

Additionally, again, regarding clock management, I cannot believe Tomlin hasn't learned a ******* thing in 13 seasons. 2-minute warning, the Steelers are leading 20-17, San Fran has a 1st-and-goal at the 9 yard line. They run the ball up the middle for 4 yards. There's 1:55 on the clock. Does Tomlin use 1 of his 2 remaining timeouts to conserve time for his offense for what is almost sure to be a tie game or a 4-point deficit? Of course not. He lets the Niners run 35 seconds off the clock before the next snap, and they take the lead with 1:15 left.

I don't understand how Tomlin's gross incompetence in time management continues to be overlooked year after year. Weren't they supposed to be hiring somebody to help this cretin out?

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Deadhorse drive but a simple reminder he isn't a x and o coach. The team needs a x and o coach. It is a simplistic answer for what is a complex question for some. He is an intelligent man. But what makes him a dumb coach besides what I already mentioned is his inability to adapt when it matters. I doubt the few who still support him could mount a serious rebuttal.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Steeler Nation mobile app

Tibs

Contributor
Reaction score
I know you’re being sarcastic, but you’re honestly making the best case FOR the point you are arguing against.

Nah, I wasn't trying to make a point one way or another. Just poking a little fun, trying to add a little levity to a miserable 0-3 start to the season. But thanks for your in-depth psychoanalysis, it was well worth the read.

B&GinFl

Reaction score
My thoughts are the offense played the 1st half too conservatively, consequently causing the defense to spend way too much time on the field. By the time the 3rd quarter was finished so was our defense.
Thank you.exactamente.Let the kid play.Dinking dunking wasn't working .SF knew exactly what was coming.Defense obliterated by 3rd quarter. Butler gotta go.not a motivator.The Fink is a moron. ButlerTreating all these first rounders like a bunch of kids." Now don't try to do too much,hear?" Then again everyone sabre rattling for turnovers. Got them then turned it over to the Pop Warner of offense in the league.

Sent from my LM-X210CM using Steeler Nation mobile app

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I think Shades hires crap so that he won't be outshined and thereby threatened by someone with superior abilities.

So you're saying, with tomlin its a "crap" shoot.............................

Salute the nation

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
I don't care about a coaching tree, but it speaks volumes that you have one of the best records in the NFL over a decade and not one of your assistants even gets a sniff for a head coach job. Heck, what position coaches left for a promotion?

The Bruce ended up being a head coach but was not hired directly out of Pittsburgh as such.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
I think Shades hires crap so that he won't be outshined and thereby threatened by someone with superior abilities.

Shades is a mediocre coach at best but so is everyone else except Belicheat. This isn’t the 70’s when you had seven hall of famers or future hall of famers on the sideline every week. There is Belicheat and 31 jabronis.

IndySteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Shades is a mediocre coach at best but so is everyone else except Belicheat. This isn’t the 70’s when you had seven hall of famers or future hall of famers on the sideline every week. There is Belicheat and 31 jabronis.

More like Belicheat, 30 jabronis and 1 sunglasses wearing clueless moron.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Fellas, I'm reading this thread and I'm just trying to get to the underlying message.

I wish you all would just be clear and say what you think rather than dance around it.

Clearly Ben ****** up.

ZonaBurgh

My Opinions Are Awesome!
Contributor
Reaction score
Fellas, I'm reading this thread and I'm just trying to get to the underlying message.

I wish you all would just be clear and say what you think rather than dance around it.

Clearly Ben ****** up.

He didn't dress or even show up for the game. What's up with that?

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score
He didn't dress or even show up for the game. What's up with that?

Someone actually said he should have been on the sidelines. Like Ben on the sidelines would have made any difference in that shitshow. If he has the authority to bench Mark Barron, that's a different story.

And I'm no medical expert but if he had surgery on Monday, they may have wanted him at the medical facility & not on an airplane the day prior.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
LMAO, yeah it's all Ben's fault he was getting ******* surgery.

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
Munchack could have been promoted to HC. He would have brought in real coordinators and the O line wouldn’t have turned to ****.

Indy...you really think the OL has forgotten what Munch taught them? Be realistic. That’s a vet group there that knows they are not being productive.

As a reminder, Munch’s squad gave up 5 sacks on Sunday. So maybe he’s forgotten what he taught as well.

IndySteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Indy...you really think the OL has forgotten what Munch taught them? Be realistic. That’s a vet group there that knows they are not being productive.

As a reminder, Munch’s squad gave up 5 sacks on Sunday. So maybe he’s forgotten what he taught as well.

Well, it appears so because they can't block for ****, so far anyway. And Munch hasn't had enough time in Denver yet with those guys. He's probably trying to teach those ******** not to cut block. Plus, protecting Flacco is a bigger challenge than protecting Ben.

AggieSteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Nah, I wasn't trying to make a point one way or another. Just poking a little fun, trying to add a little levity to a miserable 0-3 start to the season. But thanks for your in-depth psychoanalysis, it was well worth the read.

Lol “psychoanalysis” that’s an interesting way to frame a football argument. But hey, do you man

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Ya, whoever was saying Ben should have been on the sidelines is just a complete moron. Pretty much no player heads to the sidelines after an injury when they are awaiting surgery. Maybe in a week or two after the surgery, you might see him around.

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score

Ike, I hear what you're saying and totally agree that they should know what Munch has taught them. Now let's consider in-game, real-time coaching. Those guys are out there busting their ***** and fighting to hold on, so you don't think they sometimes forget about the little things or tendencies they may fall back into? A guy who's reminding them real-time assignments, communication and adjustments they need to make etc.

I'm not saying Shaun Sarret is a bad coach, but there's a noticeable decline in the OL play and the only change that's been made has been Munch leaving.

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score
Oh and another thing. It's just speculation I think, but it's been rumored that Munch had significant input into the offensive gameplans. I think the departure of Munch highlights just how important good coaches are and also highlights the ineptitude of the current ones.

They have some damn good players on the team and we're watching a **** show.