• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Thoughts on the 49ers game

Tibs

Contributor
Reaction score
My thoughts on the 49ers game:

I thought Tomlin did a terrible job blocking up front, he hardly gave the QB enough time to pass and did little to nothing opening holes in the run game. When lined-up at QB, Tomlin hurried his passes through the first half, leading to 3-and-outs. That's not what you look for in a starting NFL QB. Playing RB, Tomlin was tentative, ran into the backs of blockers, failed to gain ground on critical third downs. Playing WR & TE, Tomlin couldn't shake loose to catch any passes, and his blocking, here too, was below the line. His playcalling was atrocious, and Tomlin proved yet again he's a miserable offensive coordinator, given the gameplan and lack of adjustments.

To his credit, Tomlin made a couple of gimme FG's, and punted the ball fairly well. Could be better, but Tomlin could have done worse in the kicking game. To nobody's surprise, Tomlin was invisible in the return game, really bummed we let Diontae Spencer go to keep him as our designated return man.

Tomlin faired even worse on defense, put up little resistance on the D-line, letting the 9ers gash us for big runs up the middle. Playing LB, Tomlin showed he was a step slow and ended up mostly jumping on the pile after the whistle was blown. No QB pressures, a bunch of missed tackles, Tomlin seemed lost out there much of the game. In the secondary, Tomlin let his guard down time and time again, giving up one big play after another. When on the sidelines, he was terrible as LB coach, couldn't scheme his way out of a paper bag. And Tomlin proved what we already knew, he's a terrible fit as a defensive line coach and as a secondary coach. Looking at the entire defensive performance, it was clear Tomlin called a terrible game as defensive coordinator, couldn't get the right match-ups, or make the right calls when they were most needed.

Overall, I say this game was all on Tomlin. It was clearly his fault we lost this game. Hopefully the Steelers - and Mike Tomlin - will fair better against the Bengals on Monday night.

Last edited:

Punxsutawney

Reaction score

I thought Tomlin did a terrible job blocking up front, he hardly gave the QB enough time to pass and did little to nothing opening holes for the running game. Tomlin hurried his passes through the first half, leading to 3-and-outs. That's not what you look for in a starting NFL QB. When lined up at RB, Tomlin was tentative, ran into the backs of blockers, failed to gain ground on critical third downs. Playing WR & TE, Tomlin couldn't shake loose to catch any passes, and his blocking, here too, was below the line. His playcalling was atrocious, and Tomlin proved yet again he's a miserable offensive coordinator, given the gameplan and lack of adjustments.

To his credit, Tomlin made a couple of gimme FG's, and punted the ball fairly well. Could be better, but Tomlin could have done worse in the kicking game. To nobody's surprise, Tomlin was invisible in the return game, really bummed we let Diontae Johnson go to keep him as our designated return man.

Tomlin faired even worse on defense, put up little resistance on the D-line, letting the 9ers gash us for big runs up the middle. Playing LB, Tomlin showed he was a step slow and ended up mostly jumping on the pile after the whistle was blown. No QB pressures, a bunch of missed tackles, Tomlin seemed lost out there much of the game. In the secondary, Tomlin let his guard down time and time again, giving up one big play after another. When on the sidelines, he was terrible as LB coach, couldn't scheme his way out of a paper bag. And Tomlin proved what we already knew, he's a terrible fit as a defensive line coach and as a secondary coach. Looking at the entire defensive performance, it was clear Tomlin called a terrible game as defensive coordinator, couldn't get the right match-ups, or call the right calls when they were most needed.

Overall, I say this game was all on Tomlin. It was clearly his fault we lost this game. Hopefully the Steelers - and Mike Tomlin - will fair better against the Bengals on Monday night.

So if I'm reading your sarcasm correctly, Tomlin is ultimately not responsible for anything that happens on the field.

That is nice to know.

Steeler Pride

Bourbon Connoisseur
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
So if I'm reading your sarcasm correctly, Tomlin is ultimately not responsible for anything that happens on the field.

That is nice to know.

Tomlin is not responsible for anything...that much has become apparent over the years by all of his ardent supporters. Let's just list out all of the things he is not responsible for:
1. Personnel decisions
2. Depth Chart
3. Game Plans
4. Player development
5. Player performance and execution
6. Clock Management
7. Challenges
8. Player discipline
9. His coaching staff
10. In-game adjustments

Once again, what exactly is the job of the head coach since they are not responsible for or held accountable for pretty much anything.

Vader

Reaction score

That is nice to know.

Tibs wants to spread the blame around so Tomlin doesn't get the brunt of it. Since he is not responsible for anything he can't be fired. It's always OC, DC, position coaches, players, water boys ETC.... It's never going to be Tomlin's fault.

Tibs

Contributor
Reaction score
Let's just list out all of the things he is responsible for:

1. Personnel decisions

The HC works hand-in-hand with GM - and to a lesser extent the coaching staff - in making personnel decisions. Some folks on this board want to argue Tomlin makes these decisions in a vacuum, all on his own.

2. Depth Chart

Tomlin has a huge say - and full responsibilty - formulating the depth chart. Making decisions like who starts, who sits, and how much PT gets doled out.

3. Game Plans

I presume the offensive game plan is put together by OC, the defensive gameplan by DC, but yes, overall Tomlin is responsible for it, good or bad.

4. Player development

This is a collective effort with assistant coaches, but the HC has a big role in this and is ultimately responsible for it.

5. Player performance and execution

Well, when the the ball gets kicked off, the players themselves are responsible for their performance and execution. All HC can do is make decisions and adjustments based on how players are performing and executing.

6. Clock Management

This too is the HC's responsibility, though I imagine the OC has input. Also, the QB has a huge role w this as far as getting team lined up in time, spiking the ball, etc.

7. Challenges

It's on Tomlin to throw the red flag or not. Based on input by those around him, but this is all on him.

8. Player discipline

Tomlin's responsibility with input from GM & owners

9. His coaching staff

All on Tomlin.

10. In-game adjustments

HC must ensure needed adjustments are being made, with a lot riding on knowledge & expertise of OC/DC, and the ST coach for that matter.

Last edited:

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score
Barron looks like he's not even trying sometimes

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I rarely comment on a players effort because you never really know what's going on in their head but I dare anyone to say Mark Barron is showing good effort and finish here. Jogging the whole way. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Steelers?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Steelers</a> <a href="https://t.co/r2QGtqau4F">pic.twitter.com/r2QGtqau4F</a></p>— Alex Kozora (@Alex_Kozora) <a href="https://twitter.com/Alex_Kozora/status/1176185516443783169?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 23, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Can his *** ASAP.

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I rarely comment on a players effort because you never really know what's going on in their head but I dare anyone to say Mark Barron is showing good effort and finish here. Jogging the whole way. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Steelers?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Steelers</a> <a href="https://t.co/r2QGtqau4F">pic.twitter.com/r2QGtqau4F</a></p>— Alex Kozora (@Alex_Kozora) <a href="https://twitter.com/Alex_Kozora/status/1176185516443783169?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 23, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Can his *** ASAP.

So, here is what a winning coach does/says about this:

"Barron, If I see anything from you that resembles that kind of jogging on the field again, you will be begging for a job from the XFL. Got it?"

What Cool Shades says: "It's not my job to motivate professionals."

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score

I thought Tomlin did a terrible job blocking up front, he hardly gave the QB enough time to pass and did little to nothing opening holes in the run game. When lined-up at QB, Tomlin hurried his passes through the first half, leading to 3-and-outs. That's not what you look for in a starting NFL QB. Playing RB, Tomlin was tentative, ran into the backs of blockers, failed to gain ground on critical third downs. Playing WR & TE, Tomlin couldn't shake loose to catch any passes, and his blocking, here too, was below the line. His playcalling was atrocious, and Tomlin proved yet again he's a miserable offensive coordinator, given the gameplan and lack of adjustments.

To his credit, Tomlin made a couple of gimme FG's, and punted the ball fairly well. Could be better, but Tomlin could have done worse in the kicking game. To nobody's surprise, Tomlin was invisible in the return game, really bummed we let Diontae Johnson go to keep him as our designated return man.

Tomlin faired even worse on defense, put up little resistance on the D-line, letting the 9ers gash us for big runs up the middle. Playing LB, Tomlin showed he was a step slow and ended up mostly jumping on the pile after the whistle was blown. No QB pressures, a bunch of missed tackles, Tomlin seemed lost out there much of the game. In the secondary, Tomlin let his guard down time and time again, giving up one big play after another. When on the sidelines, he was terrible as LB coach, couldn't scheme his way out of a paper bag. And Tomlin proved what we already knew, he's a terrible fit as a defensive line coach and as a secondary coach. Looking at the entire defensive performance, it was clear Tomlin called a terrible game as defensive coordinator, couldn't get the right match-ups, or make the right calls when they were most needed.

They didn't get rid of Johnson. I think you are thinking about Spencer.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Steeler Nation mobile app

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score

To his credit, Tomlin made a couple of gimme FG's, and punted the ball fairly well. Could be better, but Tomlin could have done worse in the kicking game. To nobody's surprise, Tomlin was invisible in the return game, really bummed we let Diontae Spencer go to keep him as our designated return man.

Who let Spencer go? There you don't name Tomlin...

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Steeler Nation mobile app

Tibs

Contributor
Reaction score
Who let Spencer go? There you don't name Tomlin...

For sure, Colbert, Art Rooney II and the entire coaching staff all wanted to keep Spencer, but Tomlin slammed his fist down on the desk and shouted, "I run this team, I am the King, and if I say we cut Diontae Spencer we're gonna cut Spencer! Any questions? Thought so."

steelhurt

Reaction score
So a little quiz boys on F/A signings of late.
One guy could never get on the field.
One guy can’t stay on the field.
And one guy has hands of stone.
And the other guy gives half *** effort.
Finally two guys signed to make the pass defense better totally sucked.
Name these clowns and you get a free weekend in Coolies pool.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

Last edited:

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
For sure, Colbert, Art Rooney II and the entire coaching staff all wanted to keep Spencer, but Tomlin slammed his fist down on the desk and shouted, "I run this team, I am the King, and if I say we cut Diontae Spencer we're gonna cut Spencer! Any questions? Thought so."
Don't worry, i definitely blame rooneybtoo for keeping such a mediocre HC to guide his team. Is like hiring a school bus driver to ride your Ferrari in a competition. Get me Lewis Hamilton, Verstappen or Vettel, not a guy that can't handle his Job

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
So a little quiz boys on F/A signings of late.
One guy could never get on the field.
One guy can’t stay on the field.
And one guy has hands of stone.
And the other guy gives half *** effort.
Finally two guys signed to make the pass defense better totally sucked.
Name these clowns and you get a free weekend in Coolies pool.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app
I was going to name those guys until I read the reward. **** no

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
If the blame is on his ST coach for choosing Switzer over Spencer to return , then by extension isn't tomlins fault for keeping an assistant coach that hasn't shown to get the best out of his players in Lord knows how many years?

He surrounds himself with bad coaches, can't blame anyone else, it's his team

Tibs

Contributor
Reaction score

Indeed, among his many faults, hiring these position coaches to run his offense and defense has come back to bite him. I get all this 'in-house' stuff, promoting from within, but Tomlin should have made a move to bring in some competent help. He made his own bed, now he's gotta lay in it with Fichtner & Butler.

diver

Reaction score

I am being serious...thank you for that. Made me smile. Because there is a lot of truth there. I have never been a fire everyone guy, but Tomlin has lost me. Gave me a little perspective. I still think the coaching staff as a whole is not doing things to help make their players successful, but players play and that needs to be remembered.

ZonaBurgh

My Opinions Are Awesome!
Contributor
Reaction score
If the blame is on his ST coach for choosing Switzer over Spencer to return , then by extension isn't tomlins fault for keeping an assistant coach that hasn't shown to get the best out of his players in Lord knows how many years?

And this may be his biggest fault, name one assistant other than Munch that he has brought in the past 13 years that any other team was interested in.

My only conclusion is that he is a bad evaluator of coaching talent, or simply wants yes men.

Black & Gold Bleeder

Forefather
Reaction score
Remember cowher firing Ray after one season? I think he fired bobby April too. Kevin gilbride,,,. Hairball fires his OC after 2 games or so and they went to the Superbowl. Ariana and Haley and Carnel lake come to mind, but their contracts were simply not renewed. I don't think he either has any nuts, or doesn't k ow enough to make the call.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Remember cowher firing Ray after one season? I think he fired bobby April too. Kevin gilbride,,,. Hairball fires his OC after 2 games or so and they went to the Superbowl. Ariana and Haley and Carnel lake come to mind, but their contracts were simply not renewed. I don't think he either has any nuts, or doesn't k ow enough to make the call.

Yeah my two main beefs with Tomlin is his inability to maintain a top notch staff and his staffs inability to maximize talent or develop raw instinctive guys...

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Yeah my two main beefs with Tomlin is his inability to maintain a top notch staff and his staffs inability to maximize talent or develop raw instinctive guys...

I don't care about a coaching tree, but it speaks volumes that you have one of the best records in the NFL over a decade and not one of your assistants even gets a sniff for a head coach job. Heck, what position coaches left for a promotion?

IndySteel

Contributor
Reaction score
I don't care about a coaching tree, but it speaks volumes that you have one of the best records in the NFL over a decade and not one of your assistants even gets a sniff for a head coach job. Heck, what position coaches left for a promotion?

Munchack could have been promoted to HC. He would have brought in real coordinators and the O line wouldn’t have turned to ****.

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score

That's a very good point. Ouch.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Great point Indy, no one seems to be afraid of Mike Tomlin coached teams. How many times did the Raiders get caught shaking in their cleats? Cleveland?

I've said it many times, he has achieved the least with arguable some of the best talented teams.

I hope that he can turn things around and the players don't give up.

Salute the nation

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score
Munchack could have been promoted to HC. He would have brought in real coordinators and the O line wouldn’t have turned to ****.

I know this is a pipe dream, but that would have been ideal. Munchak's reputation & high regard would've gotten him a great DC to come over to shore up that mess, and I'm sure he also would've gotten a great O coordinator. Munch seems a little old-fashioned about offense, but I'm sure he would have gotten a guy that meshes well with his ideas and their own.

He immediately commands respect because of his HoF playing career, and I heard the guys loved him, especially Ben.

Oh, how to think it could have been.