• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

The ridiculous narratives of preseason football

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
First off I'd like to preface two things.
1. The only stat that really matters particularly for QB is points.
2. I do not have a dog in the game between Rudolph and Haskins. I don't **** on Rudolph as some do. But I don't care who is the next starting qb on the Steelers. I would just like it to come from the roster not a draft if possible.
That said the overnight narrative has become that maybe Haskins past Rudolph last night. So I rewatched the stream of the game.
Rudolph completed all but one pass which was a third down check down to Harris with zero chance to convert.
His opening drive was on schedule and was in scoring position and Friermuth got a hold on a long Najee run. He checked down and picked up five on 1st and 20. They got run stuffed on second. He wanted to throw to Johnson at the sticks. He fell coming out of his break. He checked down and missed a meaningless pass to Harris.
Second series. Another hold which was kinda bullshit on the new guy from Chargers. He makes a great pass deep to Johnson to convert on the next play. They get stuffed on a jet sweep to Claypool. 2nd and 13. They get minimal gain on second and he has to check down on third on a crosser that has no chance because Chuks got owned.
Third series they are third and two. Chucks takes a false start and it's third and 7. The Nose and the end cave in the oline and Rudolph did well not to fumble on the sack.
In comparison Haskins (who definitely showed some things and basically won a sure roster spot) stood there. The oline blew the Eagles scrubs off the ball and gashed them for run after run. When Haskins made a bad play like turning the wrong way on a handout it was nullified by a free play offside and complete breakdown by the Eagles coverage on the scramble throw TD.
They picked up First down on a checkdown to Samuels on third where he stepped out of the tackle that you simply are not making in regular season. That was another scoring drive.
Narratives are great but they really need context.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Haskins and Rudolph are still where they were. Rudolph is the No. 2. Until Haskins gets reps with the 1's against another teams 1's and he looks good, then he is still behind Rudolph. All last night did was probably sealed the fate of Dobbs once again.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Haskins and Rudolph are still where they were. Rudolph is the No. 2. Until Haskins gets reps with the 1's against another teams 1's and he looks good, then he is still behind Rudolph. All last night did was probably sealed the fate of Dobbs once again.
I would think so from the coaches. Maybe. But have a look around the old internet for yourself and see what it says. Haskins played it like a smooth jazz player.

Badcat

Zero Foxtrot Golf
Reaction score
Haskins checks down that often in a real game, he's going to get baited into that throw and picked. He has a ways to go in getting comfortable in the offense IMO. But, He's doing great with all of his throws and his mobility is a plus. I'd like to see him get some reps with the 1's and 2's

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
I'd rather see him check down then force throws and scramble when he can't find a receiver. Eventually he's going to get the long ball going. Fortunately for us, Ben will be out there and not either one of the QB backups.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Haskins checks down that often in a real game, he's going to get baited into that throw and picked. He has a ways to go in getting comfortable in the offense IMO. But, He's doing great with all of his throws and his mobility is a plus. I'd like to see him get some reps with the 1's and 2's
I agree but Ben goes next week. I guess you could put him in after with 2s and 3s. Ben probably plays a quarter if it goes well. quarter and a half if it doesn't. Final game us a shitshow. At best he could start with 2's.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Assuming they keep Haskins they should rework a deal to get him on the roster next year. Then if Ben retires they could go one year without drafting QB (unless the season is a right off and you are top ten draft) and have an open competition in camp next year.

mightyguru

On a cloud...
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I think Mason and Haskins are neck-and-neck. Tie goes to the younger, better athlete. The coaches might prefer experience over potential, however.

SteveA

Reaction score
Here is the narrative...Both back-up QB's are bringing it....We have a dog-fight for the #2 QB position this year...

I hope we have fierce competition between these two all year...One or both of them may have a chance to lead this team next year...

Settle it on the field boys

madinsomniac

Reaction score
At this point, Haskins has at least earned the right to start taking some snaps with the 1s/2s in practice.
Again between Tomlins comments in the post game and how he was used the first two preseason games, I don’t think they are even remotely looking at him as the 2 for this year.

i agree it would have been nice to see him against top competition but I don’t think the staff sees him as ready mentally yet… i think that what Tomlin was hinting about, though everyone has to be thrilled that he is actually trying to do progressions now…

he looks a lot better than he did in Washington, but lets be honest… he was a pile of **** in Washington…

I don’t think he is a rerun of Hodges by any means, but i do think some of tge same hopeful wishing is going into the fan and media driven push to annoint him as the heir apparent… this is a team that sometimes doesn’t carry a third qb… i think the long term plan the Steelers have for him doesn’t really apply to this season… if he continues to play this well, they will have to keep him on the 53… but if he shows any regression I think they were planning to practice squad him anyhow… its why they gave him league minimum and no signing bonus

SteelerInLebanon

Steeler fanatic trying to survive modern society
Contributor
Reaction score
I think Mason and Haskins are neck-and-neck. Tie goes to the younger, better athlete. The coaches might prefer experience over potential, however.
I disagree mentally, Haskins is way behind on the game planning and preparation part. He needs a year.

SteelerInLebanon

Steeler fanatic trying to survive modern society
Contributor
Reaction score
Again between Tomlins comments in the post game and how he was used the first two preseason games, I don’t think they are even remotely looking at him as the 2 for this year.

i agree it would have been nice to see him against top competition but I don’t think the staff sees him as ready mentally yet… i think that what Tomlin was hinting about, though everyone has to be thrilled that he is actually trying to do progressions now…

he looks a lot better than he did in Washington, but lets be honest… he was a pile of **** in Washington…

I don’t think he is a rerun of Hodges by any means, but i do think some of tge same hopeful wishing is going into the fan and media driven push to annoint him as the heir apparent… this is a team that sometimes doesn’t carry a third qb… i think the long term plan the Steelers have for him doesn’t really apply to this season… if he continues to play this well, they will have to keep him on the 53… but if he shows any regression I think they were planning to practice squad him anyhow… its why they gave him league minimum and no signing bonus
All the QBs looked bad in Washington, there offensive scheme may have been worse at doing too many short throws than ours was. He has to get that out of his head. Put him on the bench for a year and resign him cheap. Mason can either start or be a good backup. Maybe they both sit behind Ben again anyway.

steelhurt

Reaction score
At the conclusion of training camp Tomlin’s depth chart at the QB position will be:
1-Ben
2-Mason
3-Dwayne

Odd man out will be Dobbs.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
I mean the media narrative is that there is a real fight for number two, but the contract they gave out to each qb isnt close, so they weren't thinking that initially, the practice snaps say they arent looking at it that way, the preseason snaps dont look like two guys in a competition... and while haskins has has a great game last game, masons numbers still look a lot better overall...

I mean Haskins has a 68% completion%, a 6.1 yards per attempt, and a rate of 94.3...

Rudolph has a 77% completion%, an 8.9 yards per attempt, and a rate of 103.9...

the top oline has also murdered a good amount of his limited drives with presnap penalties and holding calls....
All the QBs looked bad in Washington, there offensive scheme may have been worse at doing too many short throws than ours was. He has to get that out of his head. Put him on the bench for a year and resign him cheap. Mason can either start or be a good backup. Maybe they both sit behind Ben again anyway.
in two years of Washington football the only Qb that threw at least 19 passes that Haskins outperformed was colt mcoy… lasy year he was 4 out of 4 such qbs in virtually every single stat thatmatters… the year before he was ridiculously worse than Case ******* Keenum… so no, not every Washington qb was as bad… he has two good games out of 15 starts

Lets call this what it is… a guy with a big arm and to date no head for the game making a couple plays against third stringers…

I dont care where he was drafted or how good his arm is… ill name you twenty guys with great arms who were drafted higher and were bums…

until he proves he is able to handle it on the big stage, he gets no benefit of the doubt… none… that’s what you get for spending two years as a clueless lazy bum… again it will be great if he pans out, but people are overlooking a lot to make him out to be something other than a long shot qb3 prospect.. like the last dozen we have had here…

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Anyone who thinks there’s an actual battle between Rudolph and Haskins is a moron.

I said what I said.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Rudolph is going to be the backup on game days. If Ben misses extended time there is a chance we could see Haskins start, but Mason absolutely gets first crack at it.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Reports out of training camp today is there are some changes with the OL.

It looks like Dotson met Mike Tomlin's challenge and has worked himself back into the starting lineup after his performance. Clearly wasn't an injury issue or he wouldn't have been playing.

Hassenauer and Finny with the starters with Green and Turner not practicing. More interesting is Moore is 2nd team RT today likely meaning the team is looking at him as the top backup OT.

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I see Haskins being made to “prove it” this year. IF he does, then NEXT year is where he gets to take a shot at it. The Steelers gave him a chance to prove he ready to compete once Ben is gone, not before.