• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

The defense is broken, can it be fixed this season or next season?

The defense is broken, can it be fixed this season or next season?

• Yes

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • 50/50

Votes: 6 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
They just need all guys healthy and gelled by seasons end.The offense is what we need to be what we know it can be. They need to focus on winning the division first. That's a free ticket to the post season no matter. They also need Bud,Ryan and Heyward healthy and rocking .

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
I think this defense could be very good next year without adding a single player. All that has to happen is Dupree, Burns, Davis, and Golson play to near their draft positions. That would mean Dupree becomes a better than average pass rusher. Burns a better than average coverage CB, Davis a dependable S and Golson a dependable nickel CB.

None of those things are that far fetched.

Dupree showed flashes last year with 4 sacks before hitting a rookie wall. He has elite physical traits to be a pass rusher.

Burns has lots to learn but he is already showing his physical abilities. His speed and athleticism and long arms have allowed him to make some plays while barely knowing what he's doing.

I like Davis. His problem is that he's been shuffled between CB and S in college and then the steelers did it too. Burns and Davis are the type of athletes this secondary has been missing since Ike and Troy.

Hard to speculate on Golson but he's a perfect fit as a nickel CB and he has a nose for the ball.

The key is Dupree. This defense needs a pass rush. If Dupree can just be a 10 sack guy, which is good but not great, it could transform the whole defense. Turnovers come from pressure. If Dupree is a force, then it makes the job easier on Heyward and Tuitt and even guys like Jarvis or Chickillo.

Clark Haggans was nothing special but he was very effective with Porter on the other side. We could see the same thing with Chickillo.

Last year, the focus was clearly on DB. I think this year they focus on getting that pass rushing OLB.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
the idea is that Sean Davis becomes a solid starting safety, at least they invested a high pick on him and he has the physical skills to be a difference maker at the position, let's see if he grabs the mental part as he was considered a pretty smart kid out of college

Davis' role has been reduced this season. While I have read he is a sharp guy, his football instincts seem a little weak. Safety is very much a read and react type of position. His tackling has been an issue, and he has only made one play on the ball in the NFL.

My concern is Davis has a long way to go in terms of tackling we have already seen he was miscast as a slot corner. He's not a quick-footed change of direction type of player. He's more of a straight line speed kind of guy with some hitting ability, best deployed as a close to the line safety with fewer man coverage responsibilities. Not everyone can change directions with speed and balance.

What remains to be seen with more playing time is if he's penalty prone. In his final college season, Davis was flagged for four pass interferences, a late hit, and a personal foul.

While Davis can certainly improve in his 2nd season, I see some early red flags.

21STEELERS21

21 is my IQ
Reaction score
I thought the D had a respectable game against NE. Now consider that included a Rookie at NT, First Year Starters at SS and RC,
Shazier not at full strength, Dupree being out and your rookie #1 and #2 picks having a half year of experience. The D is a work in
progress and should improve by year-end. Next year should bring further improvement.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Davis' role has been reduced this season. While I have read he is a sharp guy, his football instincts seem a little weak. Safety is very much a read and react type of position. His tackling has been an issue, and he has only made one play on the ball in the NFL.

My concern is Davis has a long way to go in terms of tackling we have already seen he was miscast as a slot corner. He's not a quick-footed change of direction type of player. He's more of a straight line speed kind of guy with some hitting ability, best deployed as a close to the line safety with fewer man coverage responsibilities. Not everyone can change directions with speed and balance.

What remains to be seen with more playing time is if he's penalty prone. In his final college season, Davis was flagged for four pass interferences, a late hit, and a personal foul.

While Davis can certainly improve in his 2nd season, I see some early red flags.

some said that Polamalu sucked as a rookie

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
some said that Polamalu sucked as a rookie

Troy is 3X the athlete that Davis is and tackled much better. Yeah he had some issues adjusting to pass coverage, but he was never described as not quick enough.

Troy's rookie year, where he did not start a game he did this:

4 passes defended, 2 sacks, 1 forced fumble. At least he flashed some obvious talent.

The odds of Davis being as good are remote.

21STEELERS21

21 is my IQ
Reaction score
We don't need Davis to be as good as a Hall of Famer. We just need him to be good enough to fill his role competently.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
We don't need Davis to be as good as a Hall of Famer. We just need him to be good enough to fill his role competently.

That's just it. What is his role? He's not quick enough for the slot, and not fast enough for man coverage.

He has a history of missing tackles in college and the pro's and if he plays a bit more could also prove to be flag prone like he was in college.

His role now is limited.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
That's just it. What is his role? He's not quick enough for the slot, and not fast enough for man coverage.

He has a history of missing tackles in college and the pro's and if he plays a bit more could also prove to be flag prone like he was in college.

His role now is limited.

To play safety

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
Troy is 3X the athlete that Davis is and tackled much better. Yeah he had some issues adjusting to pass coverage, but he was never described as not quick enough.

4 passes defended, 2 sacks, 1 forced fumble. At least he flashed some obvious talent.

This is hilarious.....comparing Davis to Troy.....Who BTW, played in all 16 games as a rookie. So its basic math in regards to the stats. But lets look at the stats in comparison...

Troy never started in his first 7 games. Davis did 1 (first game as formation was the nickel). He also has only played in 5 games.

First 7 games Troy had 2 tackles. Davis has been credited with 14 solo tackles.

First 7 games Troy had 5 Pass Defended. Davis has 1.

So final tally as follows for the first 7 games which Troy played in all, and Davis played in 5.

Troy: 2 tackles, 4 PDs, one Fumble recovery
Davis: 14 tackles, 1 PD.

So, in the infinitesimal data of one player's 7 game career, compared to a 13 year, once in a lifetime player's data, how did you formulate Davis's odds of not "being good are remote". Please enthrall us with the explanation....

According to your rationale, Davis has had 7 times as many tackles as Troy did, and only 25% production of Pass Defended, with two less games played. So, he should be a tremendous tackler since after all Troy tackled much better.

Last edited:
P

POP

What I am telling you is that, this week Brady and crew were up, easily, on the Bills and were STILL passing and trying to score. I've never seen any evidence that the *'s hold back on any opponents, but I suppose it makes you feel better to think they did,

I don't know if they would have scored or not. Again, for the dense, it is PURE conjecture as to whether they would have or not. What we KNOW and is FACT is that they scored 27 points. You may not like it, but there it is.

Actually, the D made adjustments that did knock Pat's O on its heels for a bit and had Brady frustrated. But then I think Pats countered the adjustment (or we re-countered to something that didn't work) and they began moving the ball again. For about a quarter we did have them somewhat stymied.

SteelChip

Contributor
Reaction score
Troy is 3X the athlete that Davis is and tackled much better. Yeah he had some issues adjusting to pass coverage, .

Ah, that is debatable. Troy was 50/50 in tackling his whole career. He either made a highlight reel play or whiffed altogether and almost never showed any kind of tackling basics..... just instant replay worthy guided missile blasts.

ark steel

Reaction score
Actually, the D made adjustments that did knock Pat's O on its heels for a bit and had Brady frustrated. But then I think Pats countered the adjustment (or we re-countered to something that didn't work) and they began moving the ball again. For about a quarter we did have them somewhat stymied.

You are correct. Part of the game, it was like I was watching a different Defense (one I like) and the rest was what I expected.

I'm not, overtly, doubting the *'s couldn't score more if they had to do so. just seems odd to me that they didn't score more considering I've seen them, time and again, keep scoring on other teams even in games they had well in hand.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score

based on what exactly do you say that Polamalu was 3x the athlete that Davis is?

Davis workout numbers:
WORKOUT RESULTS
40 YD 4.44
BENCH 21
VERTICAL JUMP 37 1/2
BROAD 10'6"
SHUTTLE 3.97
3-CONE DRILL 6.64

Polamalu workout numbers
40 YD

let's compare davis with #1 Safety prospect until injured Jalen Ramsey
40 YD 4.42
Bench 14
VJ 41.5
BJ 11'3"
20 YD shuttle 4.18
3 cone 6.94

So these are stats that I look so I can make a point with Facts, now I'm calling you on stating bullshit to try to make your biased point of view, once again talking out your ***.

Please enlighten us on how or why tou say that Sean Davis isn't athletic. I'll be waiting

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
based on what exactly do you say that Polamalu was 3x the athlete that Davis is?

Davis workout numbers:
WORKOUT RESULTS
40 YD 4.44
BENCH 21
VERTICAL JUMP 37 1/2
BROAD 10'6"
SHUTTLE 3.97
3-CONE DRILL 6.64

Polamalu workout numbers
40 YD

40 YD 4.42
Bench 14
VJ 41.5
BJ 11'3"
20 YD shuttle 4.18
3 cone 6.94

So these are stats that I look so I can make a point with Facts, now I'm calling you on stating bullshit to try to make your biased point of view, once again talking out your ***.

Please enlighten us on how or why tou say that Sean Davis isn't athletic. I'll be waiting

This will be ignored for a couple of days

Just A Fan

Reaction score
You won't reply to my point. Once again, if the game is close 4 points or less, and Brady has the ball on let's say vs an average defense, he's scoring more often that not. I'll stand here.

As it was up 11, there was no need to risk anything late.

When a rookie QB in Wentz and Ryan Tannehill puts up 30 points or more on the defense, you've got issues. I did not see a reply to that one.

That the sad state of our sad defense is the focal point of this sad argument makes me sad, add in that we will probably be out coached by that winey little ***** of a coach in baltimore again doesn't help either.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Wait.... We have a rookie with tackling deficiencies? What?

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score

Davis workout numbers:
WORKOUT RESULTS
40 YD 4.44
BENCH 21
VERTICAL JUMP 37 1/2
BROAD 10'6"
SHUTTLE 3.97
3-CONE DRILL 6.64

Polamalu workout numbers
40 YD

40 YD 4.42
Bench 14
VJ 41.5
BJ 11'3"
20 YD shuttle 4.18
3 cone 6.94

I'll start a new thread on it.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Is Sean Davis as Athletic as Polamalu?

I think anyone with a pair of eyes can see Troy is faster, stronger, and more explosive. And I'd bet my house he's the better player after Davis retires. But some here wanted a comparison, so leave it to me to start a separate thread rather than clutter up another thread with a different topic.

For those who want combine numbers, Troy edges him in speed and the bench press. ( and of course ) on head size :)

Polamalu Pre-draft measurables. This is what I found on Wiki.

40-yard dash 4.40
Bench Press 29

Davis pre-draft combine
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/sean-davis?id=2555386

40-yard dash 4.46
Bench 21

Last edited:

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
That the sad state of our sad defense is the focal point of this sad argument makes me sad, add in that we will probably be out coached by that winey little ***** of a coach in baltimore again doesn't help either.

My vote is NO this defense can not be fixed this season, and for next season we will need a reverse Murphy's Law ( All that can go wrong will need to go right ) plus a good draft class to fix it.

Omar10213245

👀👂🎃🏈🍇🥑🍆🍋🪂🌞🌛🌜☂☔❄🌊🥴🤬🥺
Contributor
Reaction score
Sean Davis has a loooooong way to go before he should even be mentioned in the same sentence as Troy Polamalu

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
I want to know the head circumferences before I can make an educated reply.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
They look about the same on the field during their rookie seasons.