• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers select TJ Watt

FordFairLane

Reaction score
17f0592311488acbb1114effa41b19b5.jpg
1d05a91cf1c576cffaac9364a7bd1646.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Steeler Nation mobile app

Really cool chart. I noticed TJ doesn't have a 10-yard split. Anyone know what his was?

stuntmanmike

Contributor
Reaction score
I don't get all the love for watt... 4.7 at 250 coming off edge don't get it done in the NFL anymore... ask chickilo... hey tombert the nineties called they want their de converted into a ****** linebacker that can get a sack every now and again but other than that is completely irrelevent to the rest of the defense back!

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
I don't get all the love for watt... 4.7 at 250 coming off edge don't get it done in the NFL anymore... ask chickilo... hey tombert the nineties called they want their de converted into a ****** linebacker that can get a sack every now and again but other than that is completely irrelevent to the rest of the defense back!

who were you planning to take? Harris or lawsons 4.8s 40? The name of the game is explosiveness, acceleration and Watt has a **** load of that

stuntmanmike

Contributor
Reaction score
The NFL has changed has adapted to 3-4 zone blitz defenses and hybrids that still rely on blitzing to pressure the qb. That's it and that's all. Green Bay and the Steelers defenses getting blown out in the playoffs last year when it really mattered being case in point. But if you are going to use outside blitzers they better be fast at least 4.5. watt at 250 ran 4.7 his brother at 290 is almost as fast. That difference in speed is a full step the difference in a sack or a completed pass. I just don't see how watt is an upgrade over even chickillo. I was at camp last year and chickillo had dropped about twenty pounds and looked like he was carved out of granite. 2 sacks...watt just seems like another tombert reach to prop up an outdated concept of how best to defense against the modern offenses. Tomlin stating they won't change anything to beat the cheatroits is proof in the proverbial....

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
If your OLB is is running 40 yards down the field to make a play, you have a problem. A better measure of explosiveness for that position is the shuttle. Watt ran a 4.21, which iirc correctly put him in the top 10 for LBs this draft and top 5 for OLBs in the last 5 years.

CorpusDsteelers

Reaction score

Pretty sure the QB is not 40 yards away from the snap.

TMC

Forefather
Reaction score
The NFL has changed has adapted to 3-4 zone blitz defenses and hybrids that still rely on blitzing to pressure the qb. That's it and that's all. Green Bay and the Steelers defenses getting blown out in the playoffs last year when it really mattered being case in point. But if you are going to use outside blitzers they better be fast at least 4.5. watt at 250 ran 4.7 his brother at 290 is almost as fast. That difference in speed is a full step the difference in a sack or a completed pass. I just don't see how watt is an upgrade over even chickillo. I was at camp last year and chickillo had dropped about twenty pounds and looked like he was carved out of granite. 2 sacks...watt just seems like another tombert reach to prop up an outdated concept of how best to defense against the modern offenses. Tomlin stating they won't change anything to beat the cheatroits is proof in the proverbial....

Really? You think a guy running a 4.7 cannot get sacks in the NFL?

Marcus Golden had 12.5 sacks last year for Arizona. He ran a 4.77 at his pro day and a 4.90 at the combine. He is an OLB.
Chandler Jones, the other Arizona OLB, ran a 4.77.
Oliver Vernon was a 4.64, which is 0.05 better.
Melvin Ingram ran a 4.69
Demarcus Lawrence and Kony Ealy were both 4.69 guys.
Shane Ray was a 4.68.
Nate Orchard was a 4.80.
Aldon Smith was a 4.74

That is a pretty decent list of pass rushers and Watt is one of the better coverage OLBs that has come out in the draft. So, don't agree with your point.

TMC

Forefather
Reaction score
So, Watt wore #42 at Wisconsin, but that number is being worn by Brandon Brown-Dukes and Jacob Hagen for the Steelers. Too bad, if Watt was a better player, he might be able to get his number in the Burgh.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I think he ran adequately. Pass rush is a combination of speed and strength equalling power. Plus he has crazy good length and good hands to fight the blocker.

steelbush

Reaction score
So, Watt wore #42 at Wisconsin, but that number is being worn by Brandon Brown-Dukes and Jacob Hagen for the Steelers. Too bad, if Watt was a better player, he might be able to get his number in the Burgh.

give him #43

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Really? You think a guy running a 4.7 cannot get sacks in the NFL?

Marcus Golden had 12.5 sacks last year for Arizona. He ran a 4.77 at his pro day and a 4.90 at the combine. He is an OLB.
Chandler Jones, the other Arizona OLB, ran a 4.77.
Oliver Vernon was a 4.64, which is 0.05 better.
Melvin Ingram ran a 4.69
Demarcus Lawrence and Kony Ealy were both 4.69 guys.
Shane Ray was a 4.68.
Nate Orchard was a 4.80.
Aldon Smith was a 4.74

That is a pretty decent list of pass rushers and Watt is one of the better coverage OLBs that has come out in the draft. So, don't agree with your point.

Yep.

Taking one number and projecting is an issue unless that number is dog-poop. Jones' 4.84? Dog poop. Watt 4.69, with other incredible measureables like vertical, and long jump, and 3-cone, and a frame that can play at 260?

Yeah, no bueno blowing off the guy based on a 4.69.

Spike

Reaction score
T.J. Watt isn’t his brother, and that’s just fine for the Steelers

What does T.J. Watt bring to the Steelers?

That freak athleticism goes a long way in explaining his success on the field. Watt is a three-down linebacker who can chase down quarterbacks around the edge or shoot gaps between blockers. At Wisconsin, he’d roam throughout the backfield to find weak points in blocking schemes, attacking to create havoc so he or his teammates could capitalize.

WattSack.gif

He also has the flexibility to shadow tight ends or drop into zone coverage, notching four passes defended and a pick-six last fall. Solid fundamentals — strong hits at the point of contact and good wrapping of ball carriers — make him a sound tackler. That, combined with his ability to attack and shed blockers, should make him the kind of defensive player whose name is called over the PA several times each game.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2017/4/27/15153706/tj-watt-steelers-nfl-draft-2017

SteelerAl

Reaction score
I thought the 10-yard split was much more important for a pass rusher than the 40?

Spike

Reaction score
J.J. Watt tells Steelers' Antonio Brown to treat brother T.J. like rookie

Watt's brother, Houston Texans defensive end J.J. Watt, said he texted Steelers receiver Antonio Brown with ways to treat T.J. like a rookie.

"Look over my brother, make sure to haze him a little extra for me," Watt said about his exchange with Brown. They were teammates at Central Michigan before Watt transferred to Wisconsin, where T.J. also played.

T.J., 22, said he's ecstatic to play for a storied Steelers franchise and plans to emerge from his brother's large shadow on his own merit. General manager Kevin Colbert sensed Watt was his own man during the pre-draft process.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/19265189/jj-watt-tells-antonio-brown-haze-brother-tj-pittsburgh

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Here is a gif of the Watt sack that TMC discussed in the draft thread. Watt uses his hands very effectively to put the LT off balance, blows around the corner and drops the QB at light speed.

UnripeInexperiencedKittiwake.gif

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm just wondering how many TD's he gets this season lining up at TE down at the goal line. :)

Vis

Reaction score
TJ Watt‏Verified account @_TJWatt 45m45 minutes ago
More
#️⃣9️⃣0️⃣

FordFairLane

Reaction score

They must have cut Brown-Dukes just to give Watt his 42 lol

FordFairLane

Reaction score

Thomas Bryan from UAB has the fastest recorded 40 time for an edge guy of the history of the combine. He averaged less the 3 1/2 sacks an NFL season with 8.5 being by far his best year. Bruce Irvin is the fastest OLB in combine history and 4.41 and he's a 5-6 sack a year guy.

It's not all speed. If you have speed it definitely helps but hand use and core strength are not to be overlooked.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Mike Tomlin and new Steeler T.J. Watt hit it off in pre-draft dinner
Facebook
Twitter
Facebook Messenger
Email
comment
7:00 AM ET
Jeremy Fowler
ESPN Staff Writer
PITTSBURGH -- The night before Wisconsin's pro day, several Pittsburgh Steelers officials visited The Great Dane Pub and Brewing Co. -- home of "Great Beer, Great Food, Great Fun" -- to set the stage for their first-round pick, Wisconsin's T.J. Watt.

Wisconsin coach Paul Chryst was in attendance for the dinner in Madison. He can't remember what everyone ate, but one thing stayed with him: How Steelers coach Mike Tomlin built a rapport with Watt, the team's pick at No. 30 overall last week.

"Mike does a great job asking questions," Chryst said. "He did a great job of drawing [Watt's] personality out at the dinner. But he also shares nuggets. He likes sharing things that would help him as a player. They got an accurate picture of him, which isn't always easy [in draft settings]."

The Steelers already knew plenty about Watt. When general manager Kevin Colbert visited Wisconsin in the fall, Chryst asked him to evaluate Watt. Toward the end of the season, Colbert came back with a message: first-round talent.

Colbert was at the dinner, along with outside linebackers coach Joey Porter and Wisconsin linebacker Vince Biegel, drafted in the fourth round by the Green Bay Packers.

Watt didn't hear much from Pittsburgh after that dinner, but "I had a feeling come draft night that it was a really good match for me and a really good fit. I thought it could happen."

After a position change and knee injuries early in his career, Watt garnered first-round consideration with 11.5 sacks last year, his first as a starter.

"He will work and he's smart enough to know how to get better," Chryst said. "Smart enough to listen to the coaching. He'll watch the great pros and pick out from it. He will put the time in. And he's still getting better."