• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers select TJ Watt

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
to expand on what antdrew said, we now have three LBs who do not have to come off the field - Shazier, Dupree and Watt.
In seeing some of those highlights (yes, highlights) of Watt, he can slip inside some plays if need be - say if we bring Debo in on obvious pass plays to rush the QB.

Combine that with Heyward, Hargraves and Tuitt and we have six guys up front who can rush the passer and play the run well.

I see that our LBs have a certain mold in that they're pretty damned versatile. Now we just need to fix up the secondary. Hopefully Watt plays well for the next 10 years.

steelbush

Reaction score
The Steelers did not pass on McKinley. Atlanta traded up five spots to grab him. And McKinley is a very talented, motivated player.

I mis-worded it, I know we didn't pass. If not understanding the moment (swearing with an F-bomb on TV) and already yelling at the NFL to "fine you" is motivated and emotional, then I'm glad he's not a Steeler. No thanks.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Gorman's 5 thoughts on Steelers' first-round pick T.J. Watt
Kevin Gorman | Friday, April 28, 2017, 11:00 a.m.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers...ive-thoughts-on-the-steelers-first-round-pick

1. Drafting for need?

After a season in which the Steelers played little brother to the New England Patriots in the AFC Championship, they drafted the younger brother of one of the NFL's best players.

The immediate reaction to their selection of T.J. Watt with the 30th pick of the NFL Draft Thursday night is that the Wisconsin outside linebacker fits the profile of pass rusher they so desperately need.

That's my concern, that the Steelers drafted for need instead of taking the best player available. Some scouts gave Watt, a converted tight end, a second-round grade.

Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert considered Watt a first-rounder, however, and he joins Jarvis Jones (2013), Ryan Shazier (2014) and Bud Dupree (2015) to become the fourth linebacker they drafted in the first round in the past five years.

Then again, the Steelers had the 30th pick and watched players they supposedly coveted, like Alabama cornerback Marlon Humphrey, Missouri outside linebacker Charles Harris, Michigan safety Jabrill Peppers, UCLA defensive end Takk McKinley and Miami tight end David Njoku drafted before them.

Watt only needs to be an upgrade over Jones, the bust he's replacing.

2. It's in the family

As far as little brothers go, J.J. Watt said his brother is “further along than I was.”

Consider that the Texans star defensive end is a four-time, first-team All-Pro and three-time NFL Defensive Player of the Year, and that's quite the compliment.

Even better are T.J. Watt's NFL Scouting Combine statistics. He ran the 40-yard dash in 4.69 seconds, his 20-yard shuttle of 4.13 seconds was fastest among linebackers, ranked in the top 10 of all players and the top 10 of all linebackers the past five years. T.J. matched J.J.'s 37-inch vertical leap, bettered his broad jump (10-8 to 10-0) and had similar hand and arm measurements.

Difference is, J.J. Watt weighed 292 pounds to T.J.'s 252, and bench-pressed 225 pounds for 34 repetitions to T.J.'s 21.

But if J.J. Watt is proof of his brother's untapped potential, consider that he had 11.5 sacks in two seasons at Wisconsin and has 76 in six NFL seasons.

T.J. Watt had 11.5 sacks and 15.5 tackles for loss in his lone season as a defensive starter for the Badgers.

Then again, Jones had 45.5 TFL and 28 sacks in two seasons at Georgia. If you want to compare T.J. Watt and Jones, look at their bench press (Watt 21, Jones 20) and 40 times (Watt 4.69, Jones 4.92). The knock on Jones with the Steelers was more his strength than speed.

3. Passing on Foster

What had me scratching my head was the player the Steelers passed on to take Watt.

San Francisco traded a fourth-rounder to Seattle move into the 31st pick so it could select Alabama inside linebacker Reuben Foster.

Afterward, 49ers general manager John Lynch said that he got two of the top three players on his board in No. 3 overall pick Soloman Thomas, the defensive end from Stanford, and Foster.

That's how highly Foster was regarded. Of course, he hurt his draft stock by testing positive for a diluted sample at the combine and getting involved in an argument with a hospital worker at his medical check.

The Steelers have a pressing need at inside linebacker after allowing Lawrence Timmons to sign with Miami and whiffing on free agent Dont'a Hightower.

Character matters more than ever with the Steelers, especially after losing Martavis Bryant to a season-long suspension and Le'Veon Bell to a three-game suspension for violating the NFL's substance-abuse policy.

That made Watt a safe pick for the Steelers. We'll find out whether it's a smart one.

4. Running the North

The Steelers watched their AFC North Division rivals improve in important ways.

The Browns had three first-round picks, taking Texas A&M defensive end Myles Garrett first overall and adding the versatile Peppers at safety and Njoku at tight end.

Still, it's hard to believe the Browns passed on quarterbacks Mitch Trubisky, Patrick Mahomes and Deshaun Watson when they return only Brock Osweiler and Cody Keller at the position.

The Bengals drafted wide receiver John Ross of Washington, who recorded the fastest 40 time in combine history, at 4.22 seconds. He joins a receiving corps that features A.J. Green and Tyler Boyd.

And the Ravens chose the cornerback Humphrey, adding to a secondary that signed safety Tony Jefferson and cornerback Brandon Carr in the off-season.

Which brings us to...

5. Steelers next picks?

The Steelers still have some holes to fill, and they have the 30th pick of the second round (62nd overall) and the 30th and 41st of the third round (94th and 105th overall) to address them.

Primary positions to address should be cornerback, tight end, safety, running back and defensive end.

Here are the question marks: The Steelers watched Will Gay lose a step but don't know if Senquez Golson, after missing two seasons with injury, can finally contribute as a slot corner.

Ladarius Green's status remains unclear, but the Steelers don't seem comfortable with Jesse James as the starter at tight end.

DeAngelo Williams likely won't be back, so there is a need for a backup to Bell at tailback.

The starters at safety should be Mike Mitchell and Sean Davis but their backups are an issue.

And when Cam Heyward went down with a midseason injury, it exposed the Steelers' lack of depth at defensive end.

But they got the pass rusher they wanted in Watt, and that's a strong start.

Kevin Gorman is a Tribune-Review staff writer. Reach him at kgorman@tribweb.com or via Twitter @KGorman_Trib.

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
I really cannot argue those points, but the overnight reset does concern me. You have the Chargers, Jets, and some others sitting around 40 that might covet that edge. I think most teams sitting at #33/34 and early 4th get there because they know they can get a good player (after a board reset) or value from someone coming up. That is a concern.

I don't think if we went DB we would be in the same boat. I think you see the edges go pretty quickly in the next 15 picks, edges that fit us anyway. But, there are so many DBs, one should be there at #62. If you want a specific guy, he might not, but we have a better shot at a quality DB falling to #62 than we do a quality edge. Just my opinion if I am reading the way this draft is breaking correctly.

That's 100% my thoughts. We got our OLB and now we wait to see which of the DBs falls to the bottom of round 2. There were hardly any OL taken (2) in round 1. There will be a run on positions and DBs will drop to us.

steelhurt

Reaction score
Very happy with the pick. His brother although drafted higher in the first turned out much better than what was expected. If TJ has the heart and motor that JJ has, which many believe he does, then it's all good.
He's still very new to the position and can be coached up.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

keslerclan

Reaction score
I really like our pick of Watt. He was my favorite going into the draft BUT I thought for sure he'd be gone w the Packers pick because he is so much like Clay Matthews (minus the special teams 'ace' label) and Clay went in the first round without EVER playing a full year at OLB or DE in college (remarkable really).

I think, like I have said all along that Watt will benefit from training hard and adding some strength and weight, similar to Matthews too. While NO rookie OLB was likely to come in an give us 8-10 sacks in year one, I do think he can give us more sacks than the other players taken at the position ahead of him based on snap counts IF we use his attributes. IMO, he could play some ILB/OLB hybrid sets like the team has done with less athletic options where he can be (or Shazier) used to blitz from the inside? He has done it at Wisconsin.

Also, he MIGHT be able to handle 'Jambing' TEs coming off the line before dropping or blitzing in a 'zone-option' situation?

Take a look at one of the links here to see how he compares to rushers he most closely matches: http://thebiglead.com/2017/03/07/t-...ey-at-the-combine-put-up-outstanding-numbers/

Either way, if he only gets 30% of the snaps AND can stay healthy, I think he will be a bigger impact player than Garrett will be in "stain" territory...y'all can beat me up with my words if I'm wrong. The way I see it, He has the upside of Matthews and a downside of a Connor Barwin down the road. Although, IF he can work out like his brother he could be almost as good as Ryan Kerrigan with development, IMO.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Dude has tremendous upside. He's only played defense for 2 years and only got to start and really play in one. Plus, he's a junior. He's still learning the position and can easily add more strength and muscle to his frame. I'd like to see him get 25-30% of the snaps this year to get him up to speed and to keep Deebo fresh for the playoff run.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Draft geeks place way too much value on an early 4th round pick. Is it really wise to jeopardize getting "your guy" in round one (and giving up the 5th year option) in order to add the 110th pick?

First priority should be to nail your first round pick. We won two Super Bowls because we kept nailing our first rounders (Ben, Troy, Casey Hampton, Faneca etc.).

Heeeeathhh

Steelerfan81

HERE WE GO
Forefather
Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
17f0592311488acbb1114effa41b19b5.jpg
1d05a91cf1c576cffaac9364a7bd1646.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Steeler Nation mobile app

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
SF81's post on the prior page is very informative.

Watt has a ton of elite measurables, and a KEI of 69. He needs to improve his strength, but the film shows how he is almost skinny at 245, easily added muscle to get to 253 at the combine and can add another 7 lbs. with nutrition and weights. I think he plays at 260 with improved strength.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Some did you knows on TJ Watt.

Watt is only 22, a younger prospect. He's going to get bigger and stronger. He also likely had the biggest pair of hands in the draft at 11", and he shows very strong hands on film.

Whomever said he wasn't athletic must have said this before his combine work out.

Bench press (reps of 225 lbs): 21 reps (T-8th among LBs) 40-yard dash: 4.69 seconds (12th among LBs) Vertical jump: 37 inches (T-2nd among LBs) Broad jump: 128 inches (T-1st among LBs) 3-cone drill: 6.79 seconds (2nd among LBs) 20-yard shuttle: 4.13 seconds (T-1st among LBs) 60-yard shuttle: 11.2 seconds (1st among LBs)

Spike

Reaction score
Hilarious

You can measure the thickness of his dick all you want, football players aren't made on paper

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
Some did you knows on TJ Watt.

Watt is only 22, a younger prospect. He's going to get bigger and stronger. He also likely had the biggest pair of hands in the draft at 11", and he shows very strong hands on film.

Whomever said he wasn't athletic must have said this before his combine work out.

Bench press (reps of 225 lbs): 21 reps (T-8th among LBs) 40-yard dash: 4.69 seconds (12th among LBs) Vertical jump: 37 inches (T-2nd among LBs) Broad jump: 128 inches (T-1st among LBs) 3-cone drill: 6.79 seconds (2nd among LBs) 20-yard shuttle: 4.13 seconds (T-1st among LBs) 60-yard shuttle: 11.2 seconds (1st among LBs)

Bowser Bench 21 reps
40-yard 4.65
Vertical 37.5
Broad jump 127
3 cone drill 6.75

FordFairLane

Reaction score

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Hilarious

You can measure the thickness of his dick all you want, football players aren't made on paper
Yeah but if I was picking the guy who was a workout warrior for the combine it wouldn't be this guy. Watt is a football player. CLEARLY.

ark steel

Reaction score
I think of it this way:

If everyone on the Defense plays exactly as they did last year, you are substituting TJ for Jarvis. That is a win, right?

That leaves it up to Williams to play as well as Timmons (I have my doubts) and people to avoid injury (I also have my doubts...) Gerald Hodges is still on the unsigned FA list to take over Timmons' spot. Any reason not to think he would be better than Williams? Not sure what he would cost.

ark steel

Reaction score
Yeah but if I was picking the guy who was a workout warrior for the combine it wouldn't be this guy. Watt is a football player. CLEARLY.

Yeah, he didn't get 11.5 sacks and 15.5 TFL in one year on paper, he got them on the field. In his first and only year as a starter.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, he didn't get 11.5 sacks and 15.5 TFL in one year on paper, he got them on the field. In his first and only year as a starter.

also when I was zooming in statistically on the OLbers, I also looked at his pressures. As we know it isn't just sack production is is getting consistent pressure. And Watt didn't lack in the pressure department either.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
wait ...

hold up ...

we have TJ Watt, Ryan Shazier, James Harrison, Bud Dupree, Vince Williams, Ryan Moats, LJ Fort, Ryan Matakevich and ... FIRST BALLOT HALL OF FAMER ANTHONY CHICKILLO all on the. same. roster?!?!?

7th Lombardi.

ark steel

Reaction score
wait ...

hold up ...

we have TJ Watt, Ryan Shazier, James Harrison, Bud Dupree, Vince Williams, Ryan Moats, LJ Fort, Ryan Matakevich and ... FIRST BALLOT HALL OF FAMER ANTHONY CHICKILLO all on the. same. roster?!?!?

7th Lombardi.

7th - 10th....

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
With knee injuries and his college career now behind him, Watt said he’s looking forward to getting on the field with the Steelers.

Yeah, its great to be here but I’m not satisfied at all to just be here,” Watt said. “I’m chasing greatness and that’s what I’m here for.

I tell you in the one training camp, Heyward was getting on Jarvis for sitting (he was nursing a injury) when everyone else was standing.

I didn't have a good vibe about him. That he would put in the work to be great.

I have no doubts that Watt will not give it his all.

Through the growing pains, we will be happy with this player that I feel at worse will be a solid player. And at best a superstar............

Stewey

Reaction score
Not crazy about the selection at first, but really starting to like it.

The NFL is excited about it...already Tweeting

C-eHW2nXYAAuyTf.jpg