• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers receivers YAC through 3 games.....

SteveA

Reaction score
Hey Claypool ? WYA ? Haven't seen you really since your Rookie Season...You gonna show bro?

Steel Reign

Custom Title
Contributor
Reaction score
Found the Steelers' missing YAC:

456961494_0152bbe91e_b.jpg

steelreeling

Reaction score
Uh... 3 legit pro-bowl receivers?

With what? 20 yards after catch combined?

Yep. All pro.

And before you complain about Trubisky .. Barry Sanders and ANY line you put in front of him...
i didn't mean WE had 3 legit pro-bowl receivers.

i meant almost NO teams have as many as 3 legit pro-bowl receivers. My point was the most you need is 2. So many teams just have 1 world-beater and 1 other guy who is a threat on most routes.

steelreeling

Reaction score
1. Could he hit the hitch outside? Maybe. It's a long throw that he would not have been able to step into because a defender broke through. He took the checkdown. Not a terrible decision. The hitch is probably a 6 yard gain, so not like he passed up some huge opportunity.
You throw that hitch and there goes the whole f*cking game. Serious. 7 times out of 10 that's a pick-6. Demoralizes everybody. You never recover.

First, the WR is bracketed inside and out - AND, f*cking AND! - bracketed high and low. The cherry on top is they both have safety help over the top. FFS. never throw that ****. Just don't ever do it. #20 there is on the balls of his feet, itching to bait the QB to throw that **** so he can undercut it and take it to the hiz-house.

The read on that play was Dionate on the fly pattern at the bottom because the FS was helping to bracket the deep crossing route on their hybrid Cover-2/3 there. DJ wasn't open & Mitch didn't take it - arguably the FS could've made-up ground had the throw come early enough so, checkdown was the right decision.

Play-calling just sucks ***. 2 boundary routes with one deep crosser against a middle zone, Cover-3. Shocking they got the FS to commit, but as you can see, even with the commit you have the FS moving to the general quadrant of the field where you would go deep with ball to Diontae. Kinda retarded. (excuse me, i'm a GenXer)

2. Just a bad throw.
Mitch f*cked up. Bad throw.
3. He's dead wrong on this one. DJ is the read. Your #1 WR got single coverage deep. You take that throw. Aaron Rodgers probably threw 50 balls per year just like that to Devante Adams. You don't look at read #3 when read 1 is open. Yes, your WR1 in single coverage is where most QBs throw and let their WR make a play. DJ isn't Devante Adams you say? Exactly. I think that was a pretty decent throw. DJ barely made a play on it. That's a TD to AB or even JuJu.
Agreed. 1 other point of note, Pickens' route was another deep sideline route - he wasn't going for a skinny post, rather a fade more likely. Again, not playing to the strengths.
I put this on Canada that he doesn't know how to use DJ. He's a smaller, quick WR. Do the Rams throw a bunch of deep fades to Cooper Kupp?

4. Trubisky made a good decision to scramble here. He just didn't connect on a tough throw on the run. First, as usual, nobody is really open, but Pat does start to break open. Mitch sees that and also sees that the DE is about to be in that throwing lane so he had to run outside of him to create a throwing lane to Pat. Hard throw on the run. Only other option as he said was a dump off to Najee. Yipee
Mitch scrambled when he saw the deep routes were not open. I think a more, maybe the most cerebral QB(s) would have quickly read the cover-4 man going on there and realized that the Muth drag route behind Pickens was going to wash each and every defender from that side of the field - thus, Najee was going to have a TD if you flipped it to him in stride just after Muth crossed the mid-point toward the hash. Though i'll say that the timing of that would have had to been perfect and the blocking was suspect at best. Maybe a TD, equal chance you get a DT strip-sack. What's a Mitch to do? :)

He's acting like Najee was wide open. He had a step but the LB had inside position so Mitch would have to loft it over the LB. Tough over the shoulder catch for a RB. But i guess if you're going to assume Najee trucks a guy and scores a TD then it's easy to assume he makes that catch.
He was wide open, but yeah because it was the near-side hash going to the boundary, yeah you are correct that it would have had to been a near flawless throw to loft it up then drop it in there. Maybe a TD if it's in stride & perfect. Maybe a PI if it's a little late. who knows.
Is that really supposed to be the worst of Mitch, really? The takeaway is that nobody is really open on most plays. These are all tough throws.
Even tougher play calls. Safeties and b*tches be runnin wild out there.