• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers receivers YAC through 3 games.....

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
The elimination of slants, drags and skinny posts as well as the entire middle of the field coupled with inaccurate QB will do that

But holy crap that number is shocking even though our route tree consists of:
1) curl route
2) see route number 1

We’re also a solid minute average under where the 32nd team was in TOP compared to last year, so there’s that too

So yeah, whatever we do “show patience” cuz
Canada and Tomlin are fixin’ to unleash some hell
You are way over-exaggerating. We have out routes and the behind the line swing passes.....Give them some credit.

Curl routes are not working because the dbs never have to turn their back to the QB. Even if you hit an out route in stride, the sideline is another defender and hard for the WR to turn it up field. Just amazing that these are the concepts of a pro level team

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
It's the route tree concepts. Hard to run after the catch on a sideline out pattern.

exactly. Most completions are on outs where the WRs are running out of bounds, or hitches where they are either stopped or moving back toward the QB, or deep shots very close to the sideline where the DB easily shoves them out of they don't run out themselves.

Couple all of that with the tight coverage that comes with every defense knowing exactly what's coming and you have almost no opportunity for RAC.

You know where you get RAC? Over the middle. I figure Tom Brady has about 65% of his career passing yards on short slants and drags to guys like Troy Brown, Welker, and Edelman. I don't think that's a far fetched estimate either. How many times did we watch him paper cut the steelers to death on short throws with RAC?

You know where Canada's offense works? In college where the hash marks are wider and it gives a ton of room for outside throws to that wide side where a WR can catch and out and actually have enough space to turn upfield and not just run OOB.

steelreeling

Reaction score
Mitch isn't anticipating the route, he is throwing it after the receiver is sitting in an open zone with his back towards the end zone. No time to turn and go forward before they are getting tackled
When Mitch was in Chicago, he would f*cking slit people's throats in the secondary on a regular basis. Of course Mitch had Mark Helfrich prepping the schemes and the plays where he simplified **** for Mitch to a 1 then 2 read or chuck it. All based on where the safeties had committed.

Mitch gets hurt, Nagy decides to go lone wolf and start asking Mitch to be Joe Montana. And all the damn wheels fall off. Helfrich was the fall guy. Nagy - knowing oh so little about coaching - is obviously not long for the NFL. Just look at the job he's now doing f*cking up Mahommes.

In order for Mitch to kick-*** he's got to "see it". Much like Ben had to. Mitch has to already know where the ball is gonna go before the snap. He cannot read coverage on the fly. Mitch is incapable of that.

Now Canada, being even more dense than Nagy, is trying to make the Steelers' O unpredictable. With Austin and perhaps 2 more guys - McFarland being one of them (WTF are they thinking not dressing him?) - the current scheme of quick hitters and deep flys to the outside the hash marks are merely plays which are all bark but no bite.

Last edited:

steelreeling

Reaction score
With the outside the hash routes it allows more defensive personel to be closer to the ball making sooner tackles. Over the middle spreads out DBs and actually increases comletion & YAC (more 1 on 1) and less conjested.

Salute the nation
But it also does two more important things:
it pushes the DBs backwards out of the box thereby helping the running game, and
it draws looser coverage, particularly on the outside since corners have to play off more as there is not always gonna be deep help over the top.

Not to mention inside routes provide an enormous competitive advantage for the Steelers' big-body, tall, wide catching-radius receivers Muth, Pickens, Claypool and Boykin.

steelreeling

Reaction score
You know where Canada's offense works? In college where the hash marks are wider and it gives a ton of room for outside throws to that wide side where a WR can catch and out and actually have enough space to turn upfield and not just run OOB.

221847e5-6217-419e-bf26-84fc6ff7b2b6_text.gif

Chicoman

Reaction score
This is pretty good proof that our QB lacks the ability to be a starter in the NFL. It's almost painful to watch this stuff.....surely Tomlin and the coaching staff must see this. How is this guy still our starter? Matt Canada is not exempt from criticism also but good lord Mitch is terrible!

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
This is pretty good proof that our QB lacks the ability to be a starter in the NFL. It's almost painful to watch this stuff.....surely Tomlin and the coaching staff must see this. How is this guy still our starter? Matt Canada is not exempt from criticism also but good lord Mitch is terrible!

It shows Mitch's lack of vision and decision making. I am not sure that will improve... We know Canada's scheme/ play calling won't improve but here we are.

Stewey

Reaction score

Mitch is terrible period.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
But it also does two more important things:
it pushes the DBs backwards out of the box thereby helping the running game, and
it draws looser coverage, particularly on the outside since corners have to play off more as there is not always gonna be deep help over the top.

Not to mention inside routes provide an enormous competitive advantage for the Steelers' big-body, tall, wide catching-radius receivers Muth, Pickens, Claypool and Boykin.

I agree with what you are saying

B-U-T

We don't seem to be exploiting that at tis time. The YAC / receiving TDs would be higher and we have yet to have a receiving TD by any WRs. Our OC doesn't see to be able to get the play call squence right to exploit said scenario.

Salute the nation

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score

in the 9:00 min mark play you can see the OL doesnt switch the stunt to the strong side. Mitch could have rolled left right there

steelreeling

Reaction score
I agree with what you are saying

B-U-T

We don't seem to be exploiting that at tis time. The YAC / receiving TDs would be higher and we have yet to have a receiving TD by any WRs. Our OC doesn't see to be able to get the play call squence right to exploit said scenario.

Salute the nation
You betchya.

And it's just my opinion but... i believe that this same offense could be lighting it up. i mean f*ckin 40-45 pts a game. You only need 2 weapons that scare the **** out of the DBs. Look at the Chiefs: Kelce & Hill. Look at the Rams: Kupp & OBJ. How many teams have legit 3 Pro-Bowl receivers. you dont have to have all that.

If you ran Muth & Pickens with routes that would commit even 1 damn safety/dime back in coverage, then you'd have wide open flats to play with. The D would NOT be able to play match-quarters every time - checkdowns would be safe and would slay them. If they went to cover-2 then Mitch could pitch it just over the LOS. If they gambled w/ cover-1, then it's awfully bare over the middle. lotta space opens up when the top of the D has to commit.

The Steelers offense could be killer. almost impossible to defend.
7ba7fb8c-3260-4290-b771-f5ea38fee33a_text.gif

but you'll probably see more of the same ole same ole on Sunday. boundary passing game or dive play. lol

Last edited:

steelreeling

Reaction score
in the 9:00 min mark play you can see the OL doesnt switch the stunt to the strong side. Mitch could have rolled left right there
i watched that one. kinda stupid.

again, evaluating the QB based on what WR comes open or even looks halfway un-double teamed. pretty stupid.

More than half of those plays, Mitch made the right decision and only the right decision. When you got 2-3 defenders playing zone and they bracket your WR high and low, it may look like the guy is open, but Mitch just cannot throw that damn thing between DBs after the WR has made his cut. That is a recipe for disaster.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
i watched that one. kinda stupid.

again, evaluating the QB based on what WR comes open or even looks halfway un-double teamed. pretty stupid.

More than half of those plays, Mitch made the right decision and only the right decision. When you got 2-3 defenders playing zone and they bracket your WR high and low, it may look like the guy is open, but Mitch just cannot throw that damn thing between DBs after the WR has made his cut. That is a recipe for disaster.
still shows he is late in his reads, and at least one WR was open without being bracketed, he didnt see it

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
You betchya.

And it's just my opinion but... i believe that this same offense could be lighting it up. i mean f*ckin 40-45 pts a game. You only need 2 weapons that scare the **** out of the DBs. Look at the Chiefs: Kelce & Hill. Look at the Rams: Kupp & OBJ. How many teams have legit 3 Pro-Bowl receivers. you dont have to have all that.

If you ran Muth & Pickens with routes that would commit even 1 damn safety/dime back in coverage, then you'd have wide open flats to play with. The D would NOT be able to play match-quarters every time - checkdowns would be safe and would slay them. If they went to cover-2 then Mitch could pitch it just over the LOS. If they gambled w/ cover-1, then it's awfully bare over the middle. lotta space opens up when the top of the D has to commit.

The Steelers offense could be killer. almost impossible to defend.
7ba7fb8c-3260-4290-b771-f5ea38fee33a_text.gif

but you'll probably see more of the same ole same ole on Sunday. boundary passing game or dive play. lol

Very much so that this could play out. Look how much the "D" had to back off with just one completion to Muuuuuth down the middle, then nothing............. abandoned in the play calling. O'Canada himself sees to be the culprit..

Mitch needs soe accountability as well but the play calling seems to be first in line.

Salute the nation

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
$10 that rollout is designed in the play...

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Uh... 3 legit pro-bowl receivers?

With what? 20 yards after catch combined?

Yep. All pro.

And before you complain about Trubisky .. Barry Sanders and ANY line you put in front of him...

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Uh... 3 legit pro-bowl receivers?

With what? 20 yards after catch combined?

Yep. All pro.

And before you complain about Trubisky .. Barry Sanders and ANY line you put in front of him...
Nobody can know what they really have with this corps. You have a OC that has college level schemes combined with a QB that won't wait for plays to develop before he tries to rollout. His decision making is highly suspect and his accuracy is mediocre. I have seen plenty of footage of Mitch simply not seeing the field. And then when he does see something he stares it down or doesn't set his feet right. Just a hot mess. The team might just have 1 all pro player who knows. But you won't see what they are capable of with Canisky. You just won't.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score

1. Could he hit the hitch outside? Maybe. It's a long throw that he would not have been able to step into because a defender broke through. He took the checkdown. Not a terrible decision. The hitch is probably a 6 yard gain, so not like he passed up some huge opportunity.

2. Just a bad throw.

3. He's dead wrong on this one. DJ is the read. Your #1 WR got single coverage deep. You take that throw. Aaron Rodgers probably threw 50 balls per year just like that to Devante Adams. You don't look at read #3 when read 1 is open. Yes, your WR1 in single coverage is where most QBs throw and let their WR make a play. DJ isn't Devante Adams you say? Exactly. I think that was a pretty decent throw. DJ barely made a play on it. That's a TD to AB or even JuJu.

I put this on Canada that he doesn't know how to use DJ. He's a smaller, quick WR. Do the Rams throw a bunch of deep fades to Cooper Kupp?

4. Trubisky made a good decision to scramble here. He just didn't connect on a tough throw on the run. First, as usual, nobody is really open, but Pat does start to break open. Mitch sees that and also sees that the DE is about to be in that throwing lane so he had to run outside of him to create a throwing lane to Pat. Hard throw on the run. Only other option as he said was a dump off to Najee. Yipee

He's acting like Najee was wide open. He had a step but the LB had inside position so Mitch would have to loft it over the LB. Tough over the shoulder catch for a RB. But i guess if you're going to assume Najee trucks a guy and scores a TD then it's easy to assume he makes that catch.

Is that really supposed to be the worst of Mitch, really? The takeaway is that nobody is really open on most plays. These are all tough throws.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
This is very disturbing no matter how to slice it........our 3 WR's have a combined 19 yards after the catch through 3 games. That's Pitiful! Is it a timing issue between QB & WR? Is it hesitancy to throw the football by the QB? Balls should be arriving to the WR as they are breaking across the field or coming out of their breaks the ball should be on it's way.

Steelers YAC (yards after catch) stats per ESPN:
Najee Harris 58
Pat Freiermuth 51
Zach Gentry 40
Chase Claypool 9
Diontae Johnson 8
Jaylen Warren 7
George Pickens 2

This is a problem but where they are getting the football is more important. Get Pickens the ball deep. He's has been open.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Nobody can know what they really have with this corps. You have a OC that has college level schemes combined with a QB that won't wait for plays to develop before he tries to rollout. His decision making is highly suspect and his accuracy is mediocre. I have seen plenty of footage of Mitch simply not seeing the field. And then when he does see something he stares it down or doesn't set his feet right. Just a hot mess. The team might just have 1 all pro player who knows. But you won't see what they are capable of with Canisky. You just won't.

What is this? A decent post by you? I suppose you were due. Yes the OC sucks, blame the man who hired him. We need an offensive minded head coach. Sean Peyton is available. Just saying... an its Turdisky. Say it right. Decisions made be one man. The standard remains the standard.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
What is this? A decent post by you? I suppose you were due. Yes the OC sucks, blame the man who hired him. We need an offensive minded head coach. Sean Peyton is available. Just saying... an its Turdisky. Say it right. Decisions made be one man. The standard remains the standard.
Still waiting for one from you. Until then shine your cone so that silver doesn't tarnish.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Still waiting for one from you. Until then shine your cone so that silver doesn't tarnish.

Go figure and your lying, by your owns words you've said I had good post before. Why pick silver, gold and platinum shine better you know. Silver doesn't do it for me. Gold rarely looses its luster. I kind of pegged you as a copper kind of guy.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Go figure and your lying, by your owns words you've said I had good post before. Why pick silver, gold and platinum shine better you know. Silver doesn't do it for me. Gold rarely looses its luster. I kind of pegged you as a copper kind of guy.
No I have no preference on what type of cone you wear. If you want a gold or platinum color fine by me. Maybe get one to match your luxury vehicle. Coordinate

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
3. He's dead wrong on this one. DJ is the read. Your #1 WR got single coverage deep. You take that throw. Aaron Rodgers probably threw 50 balls per year just like that to Devante Adams. You don't look at read #3 when read 1 is open. Yes, your WR1 in single coverage is where most QBs throw and let their WR make a play. DJ isn't Devante Adams you say? Exactly. I think that was a pretty decent throw. DJ barely made a play on it. That's a TD to AB or even JuJu.

I put this on Canada that he doesn't know how to use DJ. He's a smaller, quick WR. Do the Rams throw a bunch of deep fades to Cooper Kupp?
You're right, true No. 1 receivers make that play, it's why I don't think DJ is a true No. 1 and hope that Pickens can be that one day. Mitch isn't playing great football, yet he isn't nearly as bad as this guy is making him out to be. I mean, why does he keep calling him the franchise QB? Mitch is a quarterback they brought in to keep the seat warm. He's a bridge guy.

Your last point here is a big issue. Canada still isn't calling a great game and he doesn't know how to use the weapons he has. DJ is one of the best wide receivers at creating separation and we don't see routes consistently allowing him to get YAC. Pickens has the ability to be a one-trick pony as a rookie and we don't target him. Freiermuth can be a big-time weapon over the MOF and he's an afterthought.