• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers Personnel Pro Day Appearances

Super Dave

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
If he was the OLB of the future, the future lasted a round when they picked up Woodley.

They created a dire need at OLB when 2 months prior to the draft they cut Joey Porter with 1 year left on his contract (5 Million total I believe 1 million for a Roster Bonus and 4 million salary)

Porter went on to sign with the Dolphins and apparently still had some football left in him because 1 year later he had a 17 sack season and was named NFL DPOY

We went from being really good at evaluating LB's to becoming really bad.....at that position you could say we have never really recovered from the Porter cut. We sure have thrown a considerable amount of high value picks to address the move which was supposedly salary cap related.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
They created a dire need at OLB when 2 months prior to the draft they cut Joey Porter with 1 year left on his contract (5 Million total I believe 1 million for a Roster Bonus and 4 million salary)

Porter went on to sign with the Dolphins and apparently still had some football left in him because 1 year later he had a 17 sack season and was named NFL DPOY

We went from being really good at evaluating LB's to becoming really bad.....at that position you could say we have never really recovered from the Porter cut. We sure have thrown a considerable amount of high value picks to address the move which was supposedly salary cap related.

I suppose it's a difference in perspective. Harrison was ready to start, and even though we drafted 2 LBs 1-2 in 2007, I was confident with Harrison going into it.

I'm confused, because Porter was cut and signed with the Dolphins in 07, in 08 Porter had 17.5 sacks and Harrison had 16 sacks. Harrison was named DPOY and won us a Superbowl. In 09 they had similar stats. By 10 Harrison was still performing at a high level, and Porter declined. I can't fault the Steelers in going with the younger player in that situation.

By 08 Woodley was starting opposite Harrison and he had 4 great years. Timmons started a year later and has been there ever since. I think the talent evaluation was spot on in these two instances. I will agree that Jones may have been a miss, but I do like the potential of Shazier, Spence, and Williams. I'm also interested to see what Zumwalt and the CFL bunch has to offer this year. Could be interesting.

Vader

Reaction score
If he was the OLB of the future, the future lasted a round when they picked up Woodley.

Woodley was always slated to play LOLB. Timmons was drafted to play ROLB. Nobody knew Harrison was ready to start. During training camp Harrison blew up. Timmons got hurt and then the coaches started moving Timmons inside. If they had known about Harrison they wouldn't have continually said that Timmons was an OLB. He was drafted to take over for Porter who they just let go. Harrison was going to be the backup.

ianv2012

Reaction score
Tomlin at LSU Pro day, had dinner with CB Jalen Collins and DE Danielle Hunter last night

http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN Home Page/2015/03/tomlin-present-at-lsu-pro-day-dined-with-cb-jalen-collins-thursday-night/

As stated in another thread Steelers bringing Randy Gregory in for a visit

http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN Home Page/2015/03/report-steelers-to-bring-olb-randy-gregory-in-for-pre-draft-visit/

Steelers worked out most likely to be undrafted Pitt G Matt Rotheram

http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN Home Page/2015/03/report-steelers-worked-out-pittsburgh-g-matt-rotheram/

ianv2012

Reaction score
Steelers personnel present at CSU-Pueblo pro day

http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN Home Page/2015/03/steelers-have-personnel-present-for-csu-pueblo-pro-day/

ianv2012

Reaction score
Tomlin present at Florida St. pro day, obviously

http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN Home Page/2015/03/mike-tomlin-present-for-florida-state-pro-day/

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Just read that PJ Williams improved his 40 yard dash to 4.49.
Goldman just threw 19 reps (that's quite little) and ran pretty slow (really who cares how slow a NT is?)

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
Woodley was always slated to play LOLB. Timmons was drafted to play ROLB. Nobody knew Harrison was ready to start. During training camp Harrison blew up. Timmons got hurt and then the coaches started moving Timmons inside. If they had known about Harrison they wouldn't have continually said that Timmons was an OLB. He was drafted to take over for Porter who they just let go. Harrison was going to be the backup.

Neither timmons nor woodley were drafted to start. Harrison was blowing it up in training camp in 05. In the games he played in 05, he was making an impact. That was Harrison hurtling over HOFer Tomlinson in his start vs San Diego after his interception. He was always a gamer and the team was comfortable handing him the reins and dumping Porter in the process in 07.

Vader

Reaction score
Neither timmons nor woodley were drafted to start. Harrison was blowing it up in training camp in 05. In the games he played in 05, he was making an impact. That was Harrison hurtling over HOFer Tomlinson in his start vs San Diego after his interception. He was always a gamer and the team was comfortable handing him the reins and dumping Porter in the process in 07.

Sorry but that isn't true. You need to go back and google the articles from back then. Nobody thought Harrison was going to start or even if he did that Timmons was going to eventually take the job. Both Woodley and Timmons were drafted to be the starters on the outside. If that weren't the case then Tomlin would have said Timmons was drafted for the inside. But that isn't what happened at all. He insisted that Timmons could play and would play ROLB. He never even mentioned moving him inside.