• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers Personnel Pro Day Appearances

ZACKB

Reaction score
I was just answering a question. If we drafted Sherff at #22 I would go best corner in rd 2, maybe even trade up. I assume we will sign a FA OLB, graham, Morgan, re-sign dill-hole Worlds. Let's say Sherff in 1, cb in 2, Mauldin in 3. Not too shabby...right

Your argument has a fatal flaw... in order to draft that OLB to replace Worilds, we aren't drafting an OT at 22 - if only we could run up to the podium and call "dibs" on all the players we want. The question requires that we sign a FA pass rusher, leaving the 1st round draft pick open to possibly take an OT as BPA. Assuming of course that we aren't likely to find someone in a later round that will start and immediately be better than Worilds.

jdell

Reaction score
I was just answering a question. If we drafted Sherff at #22 I would go best corner in rd 2, maybe even trade up. I assume we will sign a FA OLB, graham, Morgan, re-sign dill-hole Worlds. Let's say Sherff in 1, cb in 2, Mauldin in 3. Not too shabby...right

Sherff and no 1st rd lineman will be drafted by Pittsburgh.

Vader

Reaction score
I highly doubt we get a starter in around one, we almost never do, but think with Munchak and his coaching and the fact we always have injuries on the line that Clemmings should get playing time year one and if he progresses well be ready for the LT spot next year. Right now Beachum and Adams are FA after this year and no way I see Adams coming back. Beachum I feel is a solid starter at LT but would be a pro bowler at LG. And guess who else is a free agent after the season? Ramon Foster. So with this pick it would perhaps have an offensive line that looked like LT-Clemmings, LG- Beachum, OC- Pouncey, RG- DeCastro, and RT Gilbert. Not too shabby.

I've never understood this fascination with moving tackles to guard. The Steelers have struggled to find an OT anywhere left or right. Now that they have one why move him to a position he has never played before? He isn't a mauler and is only a bit over 300 Lbs. He is a better mover than a hitter. Putting him inside takes away every strength he has. His draft bio calls him a mirror and patty cake blocker. That won't work inside. He'd get killed in there.

Last edited:

ianv2012

Reaction score
ILB Coach Jerry Olsavsky at Nebraska pro day

http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN Home Page/2015/03/steelers-ilb-coach-jerry-olsavsky-present-for-nebraska-pro-day/

FordFairLane

Reaction score
I've never understood this fascination with moving tackles to guard. The Steelers have struggled to find an OT anywhere left or right. Now that they have one why move him to a position he has never played before? He isn't a mauler and is only a bit over 300 Lbs. He is a better mover than a hitter. Putting him inside takes away every strength he has. His draft bio calls him a mirror and patty cake blocker. That won't work inside. He'd get killed in there.

Fine have Clemmings be the LG if he can't supplant Beachum. I guess with Beachum, Foster, and Adams all being free agents next year I wouldn't mind drafting a lineman early just in case.

ianv2012

Reaction score
Tomlin and Porter at Kentucky pro day

http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN Home Page/2015/03/steelers-mike-tomlin-present-at-kentucky-pro-day/

deljzc

Reaction score
Sure looks like another 1st round linebacker for Tombert....

insaniti

Contributor
Reaction score

I get the argument here, but a position he's never played before? Beachum was the backup for the entire OL before he became the starter at LT. He was drafted as a guard not a tackle, and played every position on the line his rookie year except for RG. He started the preseason as the 2nd teams LG and the third teams LT. He started at RT against Baltimore, he was the one that came in to replace Pouncey when he went down in the first game two years ago.

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
Za' Darius Smith a bigger rusher likely better vs the run, a notch likely below as a pass rusher but versatile to play both olb and de, The rusher I want is Eli Harold, great burst off the snap, a quicker better uncle Jarvis, has the passion for the game.
it will cost to much to move up for Vic or Ray, we should draft harold or Dupree by next year both are ready to play 65%+ reps as starters, this year he go after Pace, Morgan, Clayborn all on short term deals and Deebo.
Sign a 4-3 DT to replace Cam for the nickel and dime (Branch,Canty Kevin Williams)

ianv2012

Reaction score
Tomlin at Louisville pro day and dined with WR DeVante Parker

http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN Home Page/2015/03/steelers-mike-tomlin-dined-with-louisville-wr-devante-parker-monday-night/

ianv2012

Reaction score
Last edited:

ianv2012

Reaction score
Mike Tomlin and Kevin Colbert at Ohio State pro day

http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN ...-colbert-both-present-for-ohio-state-pro-day/

Mike Munchak present at WVU pro day

http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN ...ike-munchak-present-at-west-virginia-pro-day/

Wingman

Reaction score
Who knows who these guys are looking at. Munchak was reportedly interested in a guard from WVU. But I would not rule out any position on the line at this time. With tombert at ohio state it is really hard to say what the hell is going on. We could be looking for the next two over drafted under achieving linebackers to grace the roster in this years draft. We might even toss in a wide out or offensive lineman with some drug problems as well. In spite of last years draft looking better than many of late these guys have a lousy track record in the last 5 years.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
At Michigan pro day Devin Funchess the 6'4 WR/TE ran an unofficial 4.48. He ran 4.7 at the combine. The 4.48 may not be what the scouts timed him at but he's at least now considered a 4.5 guy instead of 4.7.

He is an interesting prospect with his size. He does drop balls though. He's no blocker so he'd have to be a WR or a F-TE

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
At Michigan pro day Devin Funchess the 6'4 WR/TE ran an unofficial 4.48. He ran 4.7 at the combine. The 4.48 may not be what the scouts timed him at but he's at least now considered a 4.5 guy instead of 4.7.

He is an interesting prospect with his size. He does drop balls though. He's no blocker so he'd have to be a WR or a F-TE

So he'd remind us of .... Limas Sweed?

FAB802

Contributor
Reaction score
Funchess is overrated, I really hope they aren't considering that guy.

ianv2012

Reaction score
Colbert and Tomlin present at Michigan State pro day

http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN Home Page/2015/03/steelers-colbert-tomlin-present-for-michigan-state-pro-day/

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
Hopefully we get Dupree if not trade a few spots down and take OLB/.DE Harold then trade up in round 2 and take CB Darby or Johnson WKF
Darby reminds me a bit of a young McFadden both 5"11 about 200 4.46 speed, hit hard and play tight coverage, Both Darby and Kevin Johnson have the most starts among'st the 2nd crop CB's, that is why I if I had to choose as much as I want Jalen Collins would rather take [Darby, Johnson @ Carter] over Collins who only has 10 starts and this year would not be able to play much nickel since he is outside CB only and only way he would see the field aside from ST is if Collins came in here and unseat Will Gay.
Next year he could start but would literally no rookie experience.

south dakota STEEL

Forefather
Reaction score
Am I the only one that thinks a punter will heal our woes?

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
Colbert and Tomlin present at Michigan State pro day

http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN ...rt-tomlin-present-for-michigan-state-pro-day/

Not very likely Waynes will still be available at the steelers pick. RB Langford ran one of the fastest 40 times so he will likely be gone too before the steelers are ready to draft a RB.

Tony Lippett WR/CB - this guy could be someone they like. He was mainly a WR but also played CB. Kind of like Richard Sherman coming out of Stanford. Lippett is not real fast so he'd likely be a mediocre WR, but as a CB he'd be a big, physical CB with ball skills. Good for a zone defense. He'd make a great later round pick. Hopefully as the second CB prospect the steelers draft.

Marcus Rush DE/OLB - played DE at MSU but he did LB drills at pro day. Probably his best bet to be a 3-4 OLB.

Interesting that Tomlin would go to the MSU pro day when the big ticket items Waynes and Langford seem unlikely to be available. They would have to trade up for Waynes. And Langford would have to fall to the 3rd or 4th round. I can't see them drafting a RB any higher than that.

Maybe this is a year the steelers move up for Waynes. They have depth. They need impact players. They need to get either a quality pass rush OLB or a real starting CB in the first. They may have to trade up to make that happen.