• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers Draft Grade

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score

“What are we talking about if he is a quarter of an inch taller? He’s got great arm length, and the tape is great.” - Mike Tomlin on Troy Fautanu​

Really would shock me if he didn’t upgrade one side outside. His talent level is just impressively high. If he didn’t have the arm length that would give me pause. But he does. no idea if he ends up at RT or LT. But with his tenacity mixed with athleticism we are talking a top ten talent. I think if the talent level was lower it would make more sense to ponder a potential move inside.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Really would shock me if he didn’t upgrade one side outside. His talent level is just impressively high. If he didn’t have the arm length that would give me pause. But he does. no idea if he ends up at RT or LT. But with his tenacity mixed with athleticism we are talking a top ten talent. I think if the talent level was lower it would make more sense to ponder a potential move inside.
Or the idea they have two highly paid FA signees at guard and then drafted one of their likely future replacements in the 4th round. Also, I read that this is the deepest tackle class in years and then all the same draft analysts as it gets closer to the draft start saying all these guys need to kick inside to guard because they're too short, arms aren't long enough, slow feet, aren't good in space. It's a wonder anyone can play tackle in the NFL.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
But there’s definitely no bias for the Steelers draft by this board…
Did I say that there wasn't?
Look at there grades. NFL.com gave out TWO C+ grades and that was their lowest grade. A C+. A C should be an average grade not your basement.
You seem to be missing the point, as usual. THEIR grades, meaning the national services, all rate the Steelers draft highly, even relative to scale. It's not just the opinion of only "biased" fans on this site.
Arizona- A
Atlanta- D
Baltimore- A
Buffalo- B-
Carolina- B-
Chicago- B
Cincinnati- D+
Cleveland- F
Dallas- C+
Denver- D+
Detroit- C
Green Bay- D
Houston- B
Indianapolis- A+
Jacksonville- A-
KC- A-
Las Vegas- C+
LA Chargers- B+
LA Rams- A-
Miami- A-
Minnesota- B-
New England- B
New Orleans- B+
NY Giants- B+
NY Jets- B
Philly- A
Pitt- B
San Fran-B
Seattle- B-
Tampa- C+
Tennessee- C
Washington- C+

Notice how 94% didn’t get a B- or better.
What I didn't notice is you providing a source from which these grades were procured. And regardless of where they came from, the Steelers are still tied for the tenth best mark out of the 32 teams on your list there.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
And again, how many of those starting tackles over the "preferred height" have his length?
Trent Williams - 6-5 - 34.5
Lane Johnson - 6-6 - 35.5
Laremy Tunsil - 6-5 - 34.25
Andrew Thomas - 6-5 - 36.125
Christian Darrisaw - 6-4.75 - 34.25
Jordan Mailata - 6-8 - 35
Trisitan Wirfs - 6-5 - 34.125
Kolton Miller - 6-8.625 - 34.125
Rashawn Slater - 6-4.25 - 33
Penei Sewell - 6-4.875 - 33.25
Ryan Ramczyk - 6-6 - 33.75
Ronnie Stanley - 6-6 - 35.625
David Bakhtiari - 6-4 - 34
Orlando Brown - 6-7.875 - 35
Braden Smith - 6-6.25 - 32.25
Brian O'Neil - 6-6.875 - 34.25
Terron Armstead - 6-5 - 34
Jake Matthews - 6-5 - 34.25
Taylor Decker - 6-7 - 33.75
Morgan Moses - 6-6 - 35.375
Mike McGlinchey - 6-7.875 - 34
Tyron Smith - 6-5 - 36.3125
Garett Bowles - 6-5 - 34
Jawaan Taylor - 6-5 - 34.125
Kaleb McGary - 6-7.125 - 32.875
Braxton Jones - 6-5.25 - 35.1875
Taylor Moton - 6-5 - 34.125
Bernhard Rainmann - 6-6.125 - 32.875
Terence Steele - 6-6 - 35.125
Charles Leno - 6-4 - 34.365
Dion Dawkins - 6-4 - 35
Jermaine Eluemunor - 6-4 - 33.25

How many of them are teams already seeking to replace? His height is irrelevant when you take his length and athleticism into account, I'll bet many of those tackles would be quickly replaced by Fautanu. Lol 7 of them are like 1/2 to a 1/4 in taller, and yet the only person making a big deal about it is you.
On this board maybe. Tomlin was almost immediately asked about his height. Fautanu is in the 3 percentile in height. It’s a concern.

You're alone and stunned no one has followed you on your quest to prove he's a guard.
I never said he was a guard for certain. Did you not notice when he was drafted and all the graphics listed him as a guard? Just went over your head I guess.

You can huff and puff all you want that isn't what you're saying, when everything you've been saying since night 1 ended is "I'm not saying he's a guard, but he's a guard". Whatever other bullshit magic fairy dust words you sprinkle in there, everyone knows what you're getting at, and they simply ain't buying.
You are just too dense to understand. I said, and please read this over and over until it sinks it. They should try him at tackle, give him every opportunity to be a tackle, but if he’s unsuccessful then move him to guard or center. That is what I have said repeatedly. Just because you can’t understand that not being a blinded homer isn’t a prerequisite for being a Steelers fan.

Then, you have the nerve to create "groups of posters" so you can then dock yourself nestled into self delusions that you are somehow better than everyone else here. I've already told you, if you want affirmation, consult a mirror to find someone who will blow smoke up your ***.
“Group of posters”

What does that even mean. Maybe learn to read, learn to think objectively, and learn to not talk about things you don’t understand… like football.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Did I say that there wasn't?
So you and this board is biased. Yes. I agree.
You seem to be missing the point, as usual. THEIR grades, meaning the national services, all rate the Steelers draft highly, even relative to scale. It's not just the opinion of only "biased" fans on this site.

What I didn't notice is you providing a source from which these grades were procured. And regardless of where they came from, the Steelers are still tied for the tenth best mark out of the 32 teams on your list there.
I did this myself. These are my grades. As you can see the Steelers had a good draft in my opinion. But if I give 25 out of 32 teams A’s but I’m sure 25 fan bases would agree with that assessment.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
For anyone interested Troy was @ 34 1/2

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
And of course,if he was 7th on their list/board you sure as heck wouldn’t want to trade down. That would be like Christmas!
Out of curiosity,Do you think 7th on their list included QB’s?
Omar said to today he thought that 7 was a reference to how many PAC players had been selected. If I heard him right.
Yeah, I watched him on McAfee today (Deebo made an unexpected appearance!) and I think he was trying to be ambiguous towards it. Omar has always kept his stuff close to vest. I know there weren’t 20 1st round PAC 12 players on their board, and Omar and Tomlin’s predraft presser, mentioned they don’t waste time predicting or have mocks for all slots before their spot. They just have a list of players relative to their pick in the round (20th pick). Having those six QBs go by the DEN pick, and the lack of defense until after PIT’s selection made it the perfect storm to getting a top 10 player.

He seemed like he was speculating trying to recall. But he definitely wasn’t referencing the Steelers board from what he was saying. I obviously don’t know for sure .
Like I said, he was probably just deflecting and opining “coincidences”. A Colbert era mantra.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
So you and this board is biased. Yes. I agree.
Um, no. I gave the Steelers' draft a B+, which would match the lowest grade given out of the seven national sites which I listed. Of course there's going to be some fans who are biased. I'm not one of them.
I did this myself. These are my grades. As you can see the Steelers had a good draft in my opinion. But if I give 25 out of 32 teams A’s but I’m sure 25 fan bases would agree with that assessment.
Sorry, but you can't possibly follow all 32 NFL teams closely enough to give each and every one an accurate grade. If you had that kind of ability, you'd be working in an NFL front office somewhere, not trying to bullshlt and insult people on a Steelers discussion board.

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
Man, just imagine if this was a ATL board, the tension in the discussion would be apocalyptic.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Man, just imagine if this was a ATL board, the tension in the discussion would be apocalyptic.
How did you like them taking Penix? I thought it fortified the present and their future, at least attempted to.

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
How did you like them taking Penix? I thought it fortified the present and their future, at least attempted to.
My nephew is a ATL fan, he’s still in a fog about it. He’s trying to rationalize after Cousins second year ends they can cut him and have a manageable dead cap hit. But by that time Penix will be 27. He’s hoping maybe a situation like Ben happens, where the starter (Maddox) gets hurt and the rookie backup steals the show.

Personally, I don’t think Cousins will come back like he was. His surgery wasn’t like Rodgers, it was on his plant leg. You can’t defeat Father Time, no matter what new med tech is involved.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Um, no. I gave the Steelers' draft a B+, which would match the lowest grade given out of the seven national sites which I listed. Of course there's going to be some fans who are biased. I'm not one of them.
So I gave our draft a B. I guess that plus means the difference.

Sorry, but you can't possibly follow all 32 NFL teams closely enough to give each and every one an accurate grade. If you had that kind of ability, you'd be working in an NFL front office somewhere, not trying to bullshlt and insult people on a Steelers discussion board.
😆 so I’m not allowed an opinion on any of the drafts and only nfl front office people have the ability to know what team needs are and analyze personnel decisions.

😆 😂 😝

Confluence

Contributor
Reaction score
Well its been almost 20 years since the other Troy's head was too big.....

so, lets all relax a bit and see how this works out; the most recent 6'5" LT of the Steelers is the only actual comp that matters because only two of Jones, Moore Jr and short, fat Troy will start at T.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Here you go again. You put up your grades on a Steeler message board….and what? Expect everyone to agree with you just because you say so? Just who is getting mad? I read your grades…agree with some…not all. Just like everyone else here.

The Steelers drafted…..you agree with some….not all. See what I’m getting at here?
You post a well thought out grades,and your thoughts of why. Everyone reads with interest. If anyone is getting “mad” as usual it’s you. Because other posters don’t happen to agree with you. Then of course the insults start,because of course,how can people question your vastly superior intellect.

Personally,I think you need therapy and hope you seek the help you need. Being angry throughout life is bad for the ticker.

Sure I’m a little disappointed we didn’t get a top tier WR. Or a top tier CB.
But at the expense of what draft choice? We had many holes. We filled some. We need to fill more.
Was I surprised at our 4th round selection? Sure. As I’m sure 99% of this board was. But after reading about him,watching his tape and thinking about it,he is going to make a great addition. Contracts are coming up. We can’t afford everyone.

As much as I’d love to be proven wrong,we are not SB bound. This one draft was not going to get us there,but certainly help put us on track. We do need a first round type stud WR on rookie contract. We have 2 retread QB’s that other teams didn’t want,signed just because they were cheap,both basically on one year contracts. Potential? Yes. Unproven? Definitely.

But it all starts in the trenches. We drafted a RB,TE,QB,WR with premium picks on offense without fixing the trenches first. Who knows how much better all of them would have played if we would have fixed our line first. Wasting valuable years of rookie contract. I believe the trenches were #1 priority before there’s even a thought of getting to the next level.
And for those reasons I loved this draft.

Just because you rated Troy lower doesn’t make it so. I watched many Huskies games this year. They played tough competition. He was their heart and soul. A stud on the field and great person off. Go watch his introductory press conference.
Then his tape. Great pick.

Dang, every time you come up to bat…….. YOU hit it out of the park, thanks for all your great posts !!!!

Salute the nation

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
I know it's not on your typical MO, but please explain how this is. Just randomly calling something "BS" does not make it so.
i'm not going to explain how you believing you know more than the front office of an nfl team is bullshit

it is obvious

unless you are an egotictical douchebag

Greg Lloyd

Reaction score
i'm not going to explain how you believing you know more than the front office of an nfl team is bullshit

it is obvious

unless you are an egotictical douchebag
Vague mist as your explanation but demand specifics from others. Typical double standards. LMFAO.

steel dino

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Solid B

Only because we had a chance to draft a guy that lead the nation in scoring with scored 17 touchdowns in the SEC....and passed...

Man --that kid, Pickens, and Russell Wilson would light it up man!

BTW---our QB's combined for 13 TD's all season long!

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
Solid B

Only because we had a chance to draft a guy that lead the nation in scoring with scored 17 touchdowns in the SEC....and passed...

Those were the QBs that were on the team last year, running the "scheme" laid out by the OC who, like those QBs, is no longer a part of the team.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Dang, every time you come up to bat…….. YOU hit it out of the park, thanks for all your great posts !!!!

Salute the nation
Yep. Straight back and out of play.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Solid B

Oh man you better put a + next to that B!!

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
So I gave our draft a B. I guess that plus means the difference.
The difference of what? My point is that you and I are both below the national pundits in grading the Steelers draft, and nobody but nobody that I have seen has them graded under your mark of B. So what is it, exactly, that you're arguing about?
😆 so I’m not allowed an opinion on any of the drafts and only nfl front office people have the ability to know what team needs are and analyze personnel decisions.

😆 😂 😝
You're allowed to have an opinion on whatever your little heart desires, bud. What I said was there's no way you can be that well-informed about every single NFL team and the ins and outs of their free agency/draft processes unless this is your full-time job. Which I'll go ahead and assume that it isn't.

Any douchebag can throw 32 draft grades out there -- you're proof of that. Doesn't mean that they're anywhere close to what they should be for each and every team.