• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers Draft Grade

FordFairLane

Reaction score
1(20)- Troy Fautanu OL Washington
I do like Fautanu as a football player. He’s aggressive, agile, good feet, natural knee bender, keeps his head up. And while he was my last first round rated lineman on the board at that point I had him as a fringe tackle as he may have to move to guard. And he isn’t a dominating run blocker so if he remains at tackle it might be the same issue as we have with Jones. Capable RT but should kick over to LT. And if he ends up not being able to play tackle due to his size and has to kick inside, well we drafted two other interior lineman and then still don’t have a RT. Now we do have Daniels coming up on free agency in 2025, and Isaac Seumalo in 2026 so we will have players to replace them if needed. But the final grade on this pick could be an A+ if he immediately starts at RT and stays or a B if he kicks inside. The other issue is his knee. I heard some rumors that his knee might have long term issues. They said it cleared medically but if it doesn’t hold up and we missed that then this pick becomes an F. Lots of questions about his future so with that said I’m giving this pick a B.

2(19)- Zach Frazier OC West Virginia
Love Fraziers toughness, heavy hands, and understanding of leverage. Should immediately be an asset in run blocking. And this draft has a theme and the theme to me is Justin Fields is the long term vision of this team. They are pounding the rock with Harris and Warren. Then giving Fields RPO’s. If Wilson starts it’s for one year and the rumors of the Steelers signing Fields long term I feel are true. I think he gets a Jordan Love type deal. Not a ton of guarantees but a high salary and incentives.
Anyways, back to Frazier. Frazier is as dominant as they come as a run blocker but he’s a little inconsistent at pass blocking. He bends his waist a little too much and overall isn’t a dominant athlete and doesn’t have great length. I had Frazier as a third round prospect because of that. Now you can coverup a center a little more in the pass game but there’s going to be one on one matchups and he’s going to have to work hard on becoming a player that wins those. The good news is he’s a hard worker and if I were to bet I would guess he puts in the hours needed to refine his technique and mask up those physical limitations as much as he can. So overall I am giving this pick a B.

3(20)- Roman Wilson WR Michigan
Now let me start off by saying I had Wilson as a later third round pick. But the way the draft fell I thought there was value elsewhere and maybe some more versatile receivers as well. That said Wilson is a true fire slot only player who might be a one trick pony but he does what he does well. He is your cross, drag, slant slot guy who does a great job of getting the ball in his hands and turning up field for yac. He also is a great blocker… surprise lol, and that again fits the theme this team is going for. I don’t see Wilson ever being a thousand yard receiver. He’s going to be that low end 400 and maybe sneak out a 900 yard year once in his career. He’s a piece of a puzzle not the center piece of an offense. His contested catch rating was the worst in all college football so he needs space to get the rock. Opposite of GP. So that said I give this pick a C+.

3(35)- Payton Wilson ILB NC State
I thought Wilson would go much higher but after finding out he’s missing an ACL I understand why he might not have even been on some draft boards. But at the end of day two I feel the risk is very much worth the gamble. I think we are pretty set at ILB this year but that affords Wilson the opportunity to learn and get reps in specific situations. In his last two seasons he had 30 tfl, 10.5 sacks, and 4 interceptions. We can definitely use him in specific situations year one. And actually depending on Holcombs recovery Wilson might get some extra reps early on. Next year is likely when Wilson has his best opportunity to start. He and Queen would make a formidable duo. Due to the knee concerns I’ll knock this from an A+ to an A-. But a phenomenal pick.

4(19)- Mason McCormick OG South Dakota St
I love the player, love the value, but because of the fact we went two offensive and potentially two interior linemen already I am a little confused about this one. My guess is they, like me, had McCormick as a late 2nd or early 3rd round grade and the fact he’s on the board and he likely was discussed at 51 when we drafted Frazier was too much value to pass on. McCormick and Frazier have the opposite weaknesses. McCormick is an exceptional athlete with great size. Frazier is an average athlete with average to below average size. Both are very durable and strong. McCormick’s ability to get out in space and pull will be a huge asset in the run game. The depth the Steelers have inside is second to none. I give this pick an A-.

6(2)- Logan Lee DL Iowa
I spoke about Lee a lot predraft as he reminded me of Brett Keisel and Aaron Smith. Not going to be flashy but they do their job and makes the team better. Lunch pale kind of mentality. A lot of this draft hinges on Lee as I felt OL and DL needed addressing and depth. Lee needs to put on about 15lbs or more functional muscle weight. He can set the edge but struggles against bigger mauler type tackles and adding some sand to his pants will make that task easier. He holds his own as a run defender. As a pass rusher he actually has a few moves to go along with his power and bull rush. I feel he can get on the field this year if he can get his weight up over the next few months. He should at very least put Loudermilk and Leal on notice. And could push someone off the 53 man. I give this pick player and value a B+.

6(19)- Ryan Watts DB Texas
Watts fits in with the JPJ and Cory Trice mold. Long and physical. Personally would have went a different direction but here’s the good and bad of Watts. Physical at the LOS getting jams and redirecting his man. Does a decent job of keeping up and staying in the back pocket of his guy. Doesn’t have the foot speed to change direction with quick twitch athletes. Great in run support and willingness to tackle. Might have to transition to safety in the NFL. I’ll give this pick a C+.

Overall I give this draft a solid B. Khan seemed to reach on need a little and that might have left the team in need of a RT, CB, and outside WR which are all positions that the team needed before the draft. I would have loved a 2023 draft where we had needs and we hit them with our first three picks. This year we have players but question marks about them being able to fill those holes. I feel long term he definitely set us up with a great interior line for the foreseeable future. Maybe last year set expectations too high. Lets hope Fautanu can be that starting RT and maybe CA3 can be that outside receiver too GP and then Roman can just do what he does at the slot.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Contrary to some beliefs, I feel the PITTSBURGH STEELERS hit this draft, similar to last year, right out of the park.

I, along with DK sports and other(s) feel the Steelers had a great draft.

Time will tell, so we just have to wait and see how it all plays out. The Center and Tackle should be starters from day one.

Salute the nation

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
1(20)- Troy Fautanu OL Washington
I do like Fautanu as a football player. He’s aggressive, agile, good feet, natural knee bender, keeps his head up. And while he was my last first round rated lineman on the board at that point I had him as a fringe tackle as he may have to move to guard. And he isn’t a dominating run blocker so if he remains at tackle it might be the same issue as we have with Jones. Capable RT but should kick over to LT. And if he ends up not being able to play tackle due to his size and has to kick inside, well we drafted two other interior lineman and then still don’t have a RT. Now we do have Daniels coming up on free agency in 2025, and Isaac Seumalo in 2026 so we will have players to replace them if needed. But the final grade on this pick could be an A+ if he immediately starts at RT and stays or a B if he kicks inside. The other issue is his knee. I heard some rumors that his knee might have long term issues. They said it cleared medically but if it doesn’t hold up and we missed that then this pick becomes an F. Lots of questions about his future so with that said I’m giving this pick a B.

2(19)- Zach Frazier OC West Virginia
Love Fraziers toughness, heavy hands, and understanding of leverage. Should immediately be an asset in run blocking. And this draft has a theme and the theme to me is Justin Fields is the long term vision of this team. They are pounding the rock with Harris and Warren. Then giving Fields RPO’s. If Wilson starts it’s for one year and the rumors of the Steelers signing Fields long term I feel are true. I think he gets a Jordan Love type deal. Not a ton of guarantees but a high salary and incentives.
Anyways, back to Frazier. Frazier is as dominant as they come as a run blocker but he’s a little inconsistent at pass blocking. He bends his waist a little too much and overall isn’t a dominant athlete and doesn’t have great length. I had Frazier as a third round prospect because of that. Now you can coverup a center a little more in the pass game but there’s going to be one on one matchups and he’s going to have to work hard on becoming a player that wins those. The good news is he’s a hard worker and if I were to bet I would guess he puts in the hours needed to refine his technique and mask up those physical limitations as much as he can. So overall I am giving this pick a B.

3(20)- Roman Wilson WR Michigan
Now let me start off by saying I had Wilson as a later third round pick. But the way the draft fell I thought there was value elsewhere and maybe some more versatile receivers as well. That said Wilson is a true fire slot only player who might be a one trick pony but he does what he does well. He is your cross, drag, slant slot guy who does a great job of getting the ball in his hands and turning up field for yac. He also is a great blocker… surprise lol, and that again fits the theme this team is going for. I don’t see Wilson ever being a thousand yard receiver. He’s going to be that low end 400 and maybe sneak out a 900 yard year once in his career. He’s a piece of a puzzle not the center piece of an offense. His contested catch rating was the worst in all college football so he needs space to get the rock. Opposite of GP. So that said I give this pick a C+.

3(35)- Payton Wilson ILB NC State
I thought Wilson would go much higher but after finding out he’s missing an ACL I understand why he might not have even been on some draft boards. But at the end of day two I feel the risk is very much worth the gamble. I think we are pretty set at ILB this year but that affords Wilson the opportunity to learn and get reps in specific situations. In his last two seasons he had 30 tfl, 10.5 sacks, and 4 interceptions. We can definitely use him in specific situations year one. And actually depending on Holcombs recovery Wilson might get some extra reps early on. Next year is likely when Wilson has his best opportunity to start. He and Queen would make a formidable duo. Due to the knee concerns I’ll knock this from an A+ to an A-. But a phenomenal pick.

4(19)- Mason McCormick OG South Dakota St
I love the player, love the value, but because of the fact we went two offensive and potentially two interior linemen already I am a little confused about this one. My guess is they, like me, had McCormick as a late 2nd or early 3rd round grade and the fact he’s on the board and he likely was discussed at 51 when we drafted Frazier was too much value to pass on. McCormick and Frazier have the opposite weaknesses. McCormick is an exceptional athlete with great size. Frazier is an average athlete with average to below average size. Both are very durable and strong. McCormick’s ability to get out in space and pull will be a huge asset in the run game. The depth the Steelers have inside is second to none. I give this pick an A-.

6(2)- Logan Lee DL Iowa
I spoke about Lee a lot predraft as he reminded me of Brett Keisel and Aaron Smith. Not going to be flashy but they do their job and makes the team better. Lunch pale kind of mentality. A lot of this draft hinges on Lee as I felt OL and DL needed addressing and depth. Lee needs to put on about 15lbs or more functional muscle weight. He can set the edge but struggles against bigger mauler type tackles and adding some sand to his pants will make that task easier. He holds his own as a run defender. As a pass rusher he actually has a few moves to go along with his power and bull rush. I feel he can get on the field this year if he can get his weight up over the next few months. He should at very least put Loudermilk and Leal on notice. And could push someone off the 53 man. I give this pick player and value a B+.

6(19)- Ryan Watts DB Texas
Watts fits in with the JPJ and Cory Trice mold. Long and physical. Personally would have went a different direction but here’s the good and bad of Watts. Physical at the LOS getting jams and redirecting his man. Does a decent job of keeping up and staying in the back pocket of his guy. Doesn’t have the foot speed to change direction with quick twitch athletes. Great in run support and willingness to tackle. Might have to transition to safety in the NFL. I’ll give this pick a C+.

Overall I give this draft a solid B. Khan seemed to reach on need a little and that might have left the team in need of a RT, CB, and outside WR which are all positions that the team needed before the draft. I would have loved a 2023 draft where we had needs and we hit them with our first three picks. This year we have players but question marks about them being able to fill those holes. I feel long term he definitely set us up with a great interior line for the foreseeable future. Maybe last year set expectations too high. Lets hope Fautanu can be that starting RT and maybe CA3 can be that outside receiver too GP and then Roman can just do what he does at the slot.
Good post! But have to disagree with the bolded part, had he reached he would have gotten a guy like Guyton to be the starting RT, or JPJ in the 1st, or a WR/CB in the 2nd.

I really think this draft they did go BPA and that's why now we have 2 LTs, Broderick probably will stay at RT given his better run blocking ability but hey, Fautanu is light-years ahead of Moore in pass blocking technique and still good enough in run to be an improvement to the OL.

They could have waited at Center and get Noyzard or Van Pran but again, he probably was his BPA and capable starter from day 1, unlike the rest available later.

Roman has the exact same size that DJ, maybe a couple inches taller, my question is, why can't he become an X receiver in a couple of years like Diontae did? He is faster and as the former has the ability to get open, what we need to see is if his footwork is good enough to play without a free release.

Payton Wilson and McCormick are definitely BPA picks, so, where was the need pick? Frazier might be the only onewe could pencil in as need pick but he was the only Center in the draft with true enough play time at the position and capability to start right away.

what I missed was the Nickel CB pick but they got a potential one as a UDFA, similar size to Sainristil and a possible camp darling

SteelerInLebanon

Steeler fanatic trying to survive modern society
Contributor
Reaction score
Now I am scared about this draft. PFF loves it. We did something wrong.
438828670_7543672165686444_5342656443265422964_n.jpg

ianv2012

Reaction score
I give this draft a solid A. Have no idea where you get a B on the Troy. None.
He's one of those who buys the hype that his height makes him not a tackle, even though he has long arms (34+in) so he gets pigeon holed because he isn't 6'5+. Forget the fact that length is more important, and he's extremely athletic and nimble, and his footwork is amazing. Nah he's a G because he doesn't equal my preconceived notion of height requirement........😒

ianv2012

Reaction score
Good post! But have to disagree with the bolded part, had he reached he would have gotten a guy like Guyton to be the starting RT, or JPJ in the 1st, or a WR/CB in the 2nd.

I really think this draft they did go BPA and that's why now we have 2 LTs, Broderick probably will stay at RT given his better run blocking ability but hey, Fautanu is light-years ahead of Moore in pass blocking technique and still good enough in run to be an improvement to the OL.

They could have waited at Center and get Noyzard or Van Pran but again, he probably was his BPA and capable starter from day 1, unlike the rest available later.

Roman has the exact same size that DJ, maybe a couple inches taller, my question is, why can't he become an X receiver in a couple of years like Diontae did? He is faster and as the former has the ability to get open, what we need to see is if his footwork is good enough to play without a free release.

Payton Wilson and McCormick are definitely BPA picks, so, where was the need pick? Frazier might be the only onewe could pencil in as need pick but he was the only Center in the draft with true enough play time at the position and capability to start right away.

what I missed was the Nickel CB pick but they got a potential one as a UDFA, similar size to Sainristil and a possible camp darling
Yeah the pigeon holing of Roman as a slot only is funny to me, nearly identical measurables as DJ, with more speed and add the feisty willingness to block. He's what 5'11 and a 1/2, I don't think DJ was even that tall. But no he can only play slot because........ reasons 😒

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
He's one of those who buys the hype that his height makes him not a tackle, even though he has long arms (34+in) so he gets pigeon holed because he isn't 6'5+. Forget the fact that length is more important, and he's extremely athletic and nimble, and his footwork is amazing. Nah he's a G because he doesn't equal my preconceived notion of height requirement........😒
Dont tell my wife that.

SteelerInLebanon

Steeler fanatic trying to survive modern society
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah the pigeon holing of Roman as a slot only is funny to me, nearly identical measurables as DJ, with more speed and add the feisty willingness to block. He's what 5'11 and a 1/2, I don't think DJ was even that tall. But no he can only play slot because........ reasons 😒
His pigeon holing at this point is for one big reason, he can't get off the line on his own. Until he fixes that he will be a slot. Hopefully he can fix that.

ianv2012

Reaction score
Also, not sure I understand how we were set at ILB this season, we have no idea on the timetable for Holcomb to get healthy (if he ever even does) and that would have left us with Queen, Roberts, and Robinson. I don't see being set there at all, one injury and your looking at Mark Robinson playing more or hoping a safety can fill in that spot. Nothing from Mark Robinson has yet to inspire confidence he should be playing more. We got the best ILB (with a risk, but he's played healthy 2 years now) in the draft with a comp 3rd rounder, and there is a good chance not only does he contribute this season but gets himself into the starting lineup sooner rather than later. I love our draft, but the Payton Wilson pick is my favorite out of all of them.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Everyone gets mad at these grades and a B I would say is a slightly better than average draft. This is actually the second best grade I’ve given in the last 5 drafts. 2022 being the worst at C and 2023 being the best at A-. So it’s not a bad grade. And if Fautanu ends up our starting RT, with Frazier and McCormick starting interior lineman and Payton Wilson start ILB with Roman Wilson contributing as a slot guy then this could be a banger of a draft. But there’s question marks. We don’t have a sure fire RT stud. Fautanu has a high floor and will start some place on the line eventually but if he ends up at RG and McCormick ends up sitting behind him because of that even though he might be a more than capable RG then it’s not much of a win. If we drafted Mims for RT and then Frazier and McCormick I could see the line of sight for the future line with Jones at LT, Frazier C, McCormick OG, and Mims RT. But Mims was gone and I feel like Khan was scared of not getting a RT so he grabbed the best overall lineman on his board. Even though that lineman might not fill the need of RT. A B is a very fair grade. It could be an A if Fautanu works on run blocking and ends up a stud RT. If he kicks inside then probably a B. If McCormick ends up being the better interior lineman then a C.

Roman Wilson isn’t an outside receiver. If you think he is 👍. Wait and see. He is a good slot receiver. He works best when he gets off the LOS untouched and on cross, slant or drags. He’s not a vertical threat. Could he become one? Sure. And I could bang Jessica Alba.

Reactions: xjx

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Everyone gets mad at these grades and a B I would say is a slightly better than average draft. This is actually the second best grade I’ve given in the last 5 drafts. 2022 being the worst at C and 2023 being the best at A-. So it’s not a bad grade. And if Fautanu ends up our starting RT, with Frazier and McCormick starting interior lineman and Payton Wilson start ILB with Roman Wilson contributing as a slot guy then this could be a banger of a draft. But there’s question marks. We don’t have a sure fire RT stud. Fautanu has a high floor and will start some place on the line eventually but if he ends up at RG and McCormick ends up sitting behind him because of that even though he might be a more than capable RG then it’s not much of a win. If we drafted Mims for RT and then Frazier and McCormick I could see the line of sight for the future line with Jones at LT, Frazier C, McCormick OG, and Mims RT. But Mims was gone and I feel like Khan was scared of not getting a RT so he grabbed the best overall lineman on his board. Even though that lineman might not fill the need of RT. A B is a very fair grade. It could be an A if Fautanu works on run blocking and ends up a stud RT. If he kicks inside then probably a B. If McCormick ends up being the better interior lineman then a C.

Roman Wilson isn’t an outside receiver. If you think he is 👍. Wait and see. He is a good slot receiver. He works best when he gets off the LOS untouched and on cross, slant or drags. He’s not a vertical threat. Could he become one? Sure. And I could bang Jessica Alba.
My bet is on Wilson becoming a WR2 than you banging Jessica Alba.

What if Fautanu ends up starting LT ? What would be the grade ?

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
From a pure ability/skill standpoint, one can argue that Fautanu was the best of a very strong OT class.

Teams with a need at the position did seem to hold the height and knee against him compared to the other prospects, in addition to him being a bit older than teams prefer their 1st round picks nowadays.

However, knowing what we know at this point, unless one is deathly concerned about the height and knee, I'm not sure how anyone can give the Steelers anything but an A for getting a talent like him at #20.

xjx

Reaction score
A dream bang. Without any calibration to any experts other than yinz guys I give this draft a B. I know we still need parts, but this happens every year. They will find an ILB somewhere. And then Tomlin will be the maestro of what is shaping up to be the 2024 steelers.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Also, not sure I understand how we were set at ILB this season, we have no idea on the timetable for Holcomb to get healthy (if he ever even does) and that would have left us with Queen, Roberts, and Robinson. I don't see being set there at all, one injury and your looking at Mark Robinson playing more or hoping a safety can fill in that spot. Nothing from Mark Robinson has yet to inspire confidence he should be playing more. We got the best ILB (with a risk, but he's played healthy 2 years now) in the draft with a comp 3rd rounder, and there is a good chance not only does he contribute this season but gets himself into the starting lineup sooner rather than later. I love our draft, but the Payton Wilson pick is my favorite out of all of them.
I don’t think we were set but not too far off. Roberts and Robinson are run stuffers so we likely needed a cover LB at the very least. But now we are set. Holcomb should be ready for football activity this summer. Likely not 100% when the season starts. Wilson should do nicely to fill some gaps until Holcomb is 100%. Next year is when Wilson could really start pushing for more playing time. Holcomb would be in the last year of his deal and we will see if Wilson can make that jump.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

Great post Litos, and thank you for all the great ones along the way (humor too).

I agree, if Broderick stays at RT, we still have a vast improvement at LT in replacing Moore.

Moore will be kept on for depth and no complaints as he was a 4th rnd pick.

Salute the nation

FordFairLane

Reaction score
My bet is on Wilson becoming a WR2 than you banging Jessica Alba.

What if Fautanu ends up starting LT ? What would be the grade ?
I would be extremely surprised if he beats Jones out. I mean almost as surprised as if I would bang Jessica Alba. Fautanu played LT but Penix is left handed. Changes a little of the dynamic of what you do with your personnel. I think Fautanu has a chance to play RT. He does have long arms, he does have agility, and he’s aggressive. He might need to add some weight though to be a reset the LOS kind of guy though. If he ends up LT then he’d be an A and my A draft grade for Jones goes to a C-.

speedicut

Reaction score
I'll wait a couple of years before grading this draft. I want to know how they perform, not how we hope they perform.
On paper and in college highlights they look great but so did Bush and the rest of the busts/players that didn't live up to their perceived potential.
That said, I'm pretty happy with the Steeler's picks and look forward to seeing them in real play!

Super Dave

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

C-

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

I thought I read Holcomb had his first workout/rehab Friday.

Salute the nation

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
I would be extremely surprised if he beats Jones out. I mean almost as surprised as if I would bang Jessica Alba. Fautanu played LT but Penix is left handed. Changes a little of the dynamic of what you do with your personnel. I think Fautanu has a chance to play RT. He does have long arms, he does have agility, and he’s aggressive. He might need to add some weight though to be a reset the LOS kind of guy though. If he ends up LT then he’d be an A and my A draft grade for Jones goes to a C-.
Given the better run blocking ability of Broderick I'd assume he's the better suited to play RT, also, Fautanu seems more polished as a pass protector. Either way, having bookend tackles for at least 5 years is a huge win and well worth mid 1st round picks for me

ianv2012

Reaction score
I thought I read Holcomb had his first workout/rehab Friday.

Salute the nation
That's good news, even better if we can be rotating a lineup of Queen, Holcomb, Roberts, and Wilson. Lots talent and ability and keeping guys from getting tired which leads to healthier seasons. Can't go wrong either way picking Payton Wilson especially where you got him, dude is uber talented and it will raise the talent already in the room

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
Funny thing. EVERY other post-draft write up mentions Troy has the attributes to play any position on the line (5 position flexibility). So, there’s no way the same guy can play RT?
I smell “they didn’t do what I wanted them to do” bias.

Last edited: