• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers Deal for Minkah Fitzpatrick

steelhurt

Reaction score
I like the move, I just wish it wasn't for a first.

Doesn't matter though, we can get that first back when we trade Ben next year...

Hahaha Cope. I know you’re being sarcastic here since we know that ain’t happening even if the young Mr. Rudolph plays lights out and miraculously Ben makes it back, Rooney wouldn’t sign off on that one. However I do not see Ben coming back at his age and going through a rigorous rehab regimen. I hope I’m wrong though since I do not want to see him go out this way. Would be interesting though if the kid plays lights out and Ben is able to come back. Now what??!

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

steelhurt

Reaction score
What I like about the deal:
The guy is young and talented.
He has had prior coaching to coming here... we cannot develop DBs well...

What I don’t like:
Trading a draft pick in a year ben is put risks a potential top five pick... I don’t think its likely to happen but he isn’t worth that if it did....

Willingness to trade high draft picks... the staple of the turnaround under dan Rooney was him mandating no more trading high picks for other people’s garbage vets and problem prospects...

Lack of picks next year.. if this staff showed any promise as one that can develop raw talent id be fine with taking on a ton of udfa prospects... but Tomlin’s pedigree fetish makes me think of the coach just prior to Noll... and I see us filling holes with more garbage mediocre vets...

Remember who that coach was? The infamous Bill Austin.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
Chick and Moncrief bought should be cut

Troglodyte

Reaction score
It might not be him. But its a ****** top 10 pick. You could take a replacement for Bud Dupree.

It could be a “replacement” as in another OLB or it could be a “replacement” as in another disappointing 1st round pick. Let’s give Fitzpatrick a chance before we lose our ****.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Great question. Who sits? With our coaching staff, probably Minkah.
With Tomlin in charge? I suspect you are looking at the rise of the "perma-nickel" base defense. Tampa Two has finally come FULL MotherFuckin' circle!

The Fitzpatrick move may not be anything you all think it is. What if the move is just a desperate attempt to shore up the defense a bit since they believe the offense is now officially garbage.

Moonman

Reaction score
Initially, I thought this was a bad move. However, they cannot draft good players anyway, so at least we have a stud in the defensive backfield, now.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
So what happens next week if they look at the film on Rudolph. Game plan him and they score 10 points and lose by 24. Now how the **** you feeling.

A-N-D what if they look at film and game plan and we win 24-10, flip the coin and look at the 1/2 full a little more. We need to give the kid a chance for Pete's (and all steelers fans) SAKE.

Salute the nation

stuntmanmike

Contributor
Reaction score
I don’t know highly unusual move for the Steelers but *** the secondary is and has been our Achilles Heel.... put him in a free safety and forget About It.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
This was the year for Davis to prove himself and, more than likely, get a bigger deal in free agency. Now that he is on reserve/injured and we sign Fitzpatrick, I can see the Steelers offering Davis a lesser deal. He could be our third S behind Edmunds and Fitz. I could definitely live with that. Davis has versatility since he has now played all around the secondary.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
I don’t know highly unusual move for the Steelers but *** the secondary is and has been our Achilles Heel.... put him in a free safety and forget About It.

I guess this move will at least answer the question of whether the db deficiency is talent centric or scheme centric

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I guess this move will at least answer the question of whether the db deficiency is talent centric or scheme centric

Getting popcorn!

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score

We have 3 first rounders, a 2nd and a 3rd in our defensive backfield, yet we've sucked, now we have 4 first rounders back there.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Now trade Burns for whatever bag of dicks you can get. Fitzpatrick makes this even easier decision to make. While they are at it, trade Hargrave for picks as soon as possible. I like the guy. Great first step and quicks for a big man. Strong and talented dude but that strong and talented dude is on the pine most of the time in this defensive scheme. Toss in Chick and Tyler M. as part of a deal as well it it will get it done.
They will reject the trade when you add chickillo

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Steeler Nation mobile app

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score

Tibs

Contributor
Reaction score
A day later I'm still rubbing my eyes in disbelief we got Minkah Fitzpatrick. I'm beyond elated. I believe he can be a true leader - and catalyst - for this D. Hopefully he provides a much needed spark and helps create and shape an identity for our defense for years to come. I know, baby steps, let's win a game or two first.

<samp class="EmbedCode-container"><code class="EmbedCode-code"><blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Another big part of Minkah joining the Steelers is going to be his great cultural and locker room impact. Saban has praised him numerous times as a leader and for his hard work and dedication. Great overall character. He’s just another good influence added to the Steelers team.</p>— Nick Farabaugh (@FarabaughFB) <a href="https://twitter.com/FarabaughFB/status/1174039754012340224?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 17, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

</code></samp>

Vader

Reaction score
Minkah is not going to be a problem in the locker room. I watched him at Bama and he's a great guy. But that isn't the issue the Steelers are having. Are the coaches going to use him correctly? I know he only wants to play the slot. Are they going to let him or are they going to try and move him around?

Spike

Reaction score
The 49ers scored 72 points in their first two games, I hope this new guy can score 30

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
So what happens next week if they look at the film on Rudolph. Game plan him and they score 10 points and lose by 24.

And what if Superman landed in Nazi Germany? What if a dollar was a donut? What if birds walked and cats flew?

Tibs

Contributor
Reaction score
I know he only wants to play the slot. Are they going to let him or are they going to try and move him around?

According to Tomlin's presser, they're going to 'anchor him' at FS for this upcoming game. Tomlin says he won't be limited as far as participation, that he's a cerebral guy and will be able to pick things up on the run. We'll see about that. He hinted at his position flexibility, but with Sean Davis out - and only Kelly & Dangerfield at that spot - it looks like his primary role will be paired with Edmunds at safety for the foreseeable future.

Frankly, he's the closest thing we've had to a Polamalu-type player since he retired, as far as being a swiss army knife in the secondary, a Carnell Lake, if you will. I imagine once he gets his feet wet they'll move him around a bit to suit their needs based on gameplans and matchups.

Tibs

Contributor
Reaction score
The 49ers scored 72 points in their first two games, I hope this new guy can score 30

Hey, if they can play D like they did for the first half against the Seahawks, and sustain that through 4 quarters, they've got a chance. Was impressed with the way the D came out to start that game, then it all came unwound and fell apart in the 2nd half. Can't have that, they've gotta find a way to keep it tight, to give Rudolph a chance...