• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers Clear An Additional 7 Million In Cap Space Hours Before NFL Draft

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Mean Joe is one of the greatest football players in NFL history, Cam is not in that class of player.
By statistical AV he is around 21st all time among DTs .... Greene is Fifth and light years ahead of Heyward.. but that doesnt dismiss Heyward as great.

Heyward made a pro bowl at 33... which is very rare for the position... but remember, unlike many guys of his caliber, he was buried behind Ziggy Hood for the first two years of his career for inexplicable reasons.. so he has less than average wear and tear on him.

I dont like they are paying him 16 million this year, but if he gives us the season he did two years ago, he is worth it...

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Simple solution is to extend him for 2years at Vet minimum. 22 million becomes 7 mil and change. 25 rolls around and you decide if he is worth Vet min, if not, you do a June cut designation and eat 7 in 25&26

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I love how reactionary this place is. Here is what I'm saying. The Steelers will either finish Cam's astronomical cap hit (they made the bed now have to lie in it), spread it out, or cut and save (seems unlikely at this point). So if Cam has a good year he probably is not done. Then he either goes to a real contender or retires a Steeler. Either way he only gets market value and is likely rotational.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
hmmm sounds like they're making a trade.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I mean its rare for a DT to have a great season after 34, but not unheard of...

Hopefully he has a strong start to the year and if we arent a real contender, we trade him to one ..

Most certainly don’t dislike the guy. He’s been a GREAT representation of the STEELERS.

Many here wanted ROETHLISBERGER to give up his near entire salary, at the end of his career. The straw man argument was he has earned enough over his career, he doesn’t need it.

Both Ben and Cam have had salary cans kicked down the road and now it is the time to pay him.

Do I want to pay a 35 yr old DT 22 mil, hella no, but I chose to push that pay off till now. Pay the man, but don’t invest into his future…….. unless it’s for way less $$$ching$$$, and he is still capable.

Salute the nation

Greg Lloyd

Reaction score
By statistical AV he is around 21st all time among DTs .... Greene is Fifth and light years ahead of Heyward.. but that doesnt dismiss Heyward as great.

Heyward made a pro bowl at 33... which is very rare for the position... but remember, unlike many guys of his caliber, he was buried behind Ziggy Hood for the first two years of his career for inexplicable reasons.. so he has less than average wear and tear on him.

I dont like they are paying him 16 million this year, but if he gives us the season he did two years ago, he is worth it...
"If Ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a merry Christmas." But I get what your saying, unfortunately he is more likely to make IR than the probowl in 2024.
Most certainly don’t dislike the guy. He’s been a GREAT representation of the STEELERS.

Many here wanted ROETHLISBERGER to give up his near entire salary, at the end of his career. The straw man argument was he has earned enough over his career, he doesn’t need it.

Both Ben and Cam have had salary cans kicked down the road and now it is the time to pay him.

Do I want to pay a 35 yr old DT 22 mil, hella no, but I chose to push that pay off till now. Pay the man, but don’t invest into his future…….. unless it’s for way less $$$ching$$$, and he is still capable.

Salute the nation
Cam has been paid $131 million so far, it's not like he "hasn't been paid." I like him just fine, although I'm not going to miss his Shades butt kissing at every turn.

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
Do not follow this as much as I used to. But isn't much of his contract in 2024 money kicked down the road from the Steelers?

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Do not follow this as much as I used to. But isn't much of his contract in 2024 money kicked down the road from the Steelers?
Some of it is... 16 million is the actual money he is earning this year... the other 8 is pre earned money

16 mil is a lot... in the history of the league, there might have been a half dozen DLinemen worth the equivalent of that for their time at 35... so odds are he wont be worth it... but its all speculation... he had one of the best seasons all time for a 33 year old DT, then an injury hampered one at 34

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Some of it is... 16 million is the actual money he is earning this year... the other 8 is pre earned money

16 mil is a lot... in the history of the league, there might have been a half dozen DLinemen worth the equivalent of that for their time at 35...

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Perhaps the trade is still a possibility if they were only going to give up a 3rd for him. I wouldn't give up any more than that with his cap hit.

Greg Lloyd

Reaction score

16 mil is a lot... in the history of the league, there might have been a half dozen DLinemen worth the equivalent of that for their time at 35... so odds are he wont be worth it... but its all speculation... he had one of the best seasons all time for a 33 year old DT, then an injury hampered one at 34
And an injury is somewhat predictable at 34 y/o. And so is one at 35. And even if he doesn't experience another bad injury, will we still see him mostly standing on the sidelines when the D is on the field? Probably. That's why you avoid fielding a DT with a $22 million cap hit (or a $16 million real money hit). But it's what you get with the "buddy buddy" HC system. If you're Shades' buddy and say all the right crap to support his regime, you get to keep your contract regardless of your actual play. You don't? You end up like Chuks. Tomlin, the megalomaniac. It's all about HIM and worshiping HIM.

steelcan58

Reaction score
I love how reactionary this place is. Here is what I'm saying. The Steelers will either finish Cam's astronomical cap hit (they made the bed now have to lie in it), spread it out, or cut and save (seems unlikely at this point). So if Cam has a good year he probably is not done. Then he either goes to a real contender or retires a Steeler. Either way he only gets market value and is likely rotational.
At this point Cam's not getting cut. Zero chance

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
maybe the $$$$ is to do the 5th year on Fields?

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
is there a QB signed in 2024? gotta have someone.
One will get extended if not both. I think they want to feel them out a little further. See if those one year rentals are worthy of a longer look. If not they can double dip next year if need be.

Greg Lloyd

Reaction score
At this point Cam's not getting cut. Zero chance
Looking forward to seeing him stand on the sidelines (either from being hurt or needing "another break" at 35) for his $22 mill. What happened to his didactic lecture to Ben about taking less $ for the good of the team? Are we supposed to forget about that didactic speech?

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
Looking forward to seeing him stand on the sidelines (either from being hurt or needing "another break" at 35) for his $22 mill. What happened to his didactic lecture to Ben about taking less $ for the good of the team? Are we supposed to forget about that didactic speech?
the hate is strong in this one

Last edited:

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
It isn’t on Cam to lower that cap hit, that is all on the powers that be. I think you are pointing in the wrong direction here.

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
trying to follow along. how did a Steelers clear 7m in cap space into another lets bash Cam thread.

Greg Lloyd

Reaction score
It isn’t on Cam to lower that cap hit, that is all on the powers that be. I think you are pointing in the wrong direction here.
I guess you missed the speech by Cam where he said he wasn't going to play for a dime less than his contract states. So, whoops goes the doggy.