• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers Clear An Additional 7 Million In Cap Space Hours Before NFL Draft

SteelerNation.com News

Forefather
Admin
Reaction score
The Pittsburgh Steelers have been a subject of considerable buzz this offseason, with speculation swirling as the NFL draft approaches Thursday night. While many fans initially turned their attention away from potential trades, recent reports suggest that the Steelers may indeed have their sights set on making a significant move on draft day.

READ MORE

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
I knew he was one of the options and glad they did it. Hopefully another move accompanies it like say getting a veteran player some way. 😁

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Just opening up some cap space to sign Antonio Brown …

I think it will take a lot to get him out of retirement…………. He retired a Raider so there is the fact it might cost “extra” to get him to wear the B & G again………

Salute the nation

Steel Reign

Custom Title
Contributor
Reaction score
I think it will take a lot to get him out of retirement…………. He retired a Raider so there is the fact it might cost “extra” to get him to wear the B & G again………

Salute the nation

I am sure that Wilson or Fields would high five and play catch with AB's son. Assuming AB hasn't thrown him out a window or something by now.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Interesting they cleared space right before the draft. Was it to clear space for the possibility of a trade?
It’s ah possible. We shall see

Soon.

Greg Lloyd

Reaction score
https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2024/04/24/steelers-nfl-contract-restructure-alex-highsmith/

So Highsmith agrees to a new deal (no less $, simply pushed back cap hit until later). And yet we sit here with 35-year-old Cam with a $22 mil cap hit and do nothing about it?

He should accept a salary cut, straight up if he listened to his very own advice he didactically read off to Big Ben a few years ago. Oh wait, so you can preach to Ben on taking a pay cut, but when it comes to your paycheck, no bueno? OK, I see you Cam, you ain't hiding from me.

xjx

Reaction score
He isn't a team player. Wants all he can get. Nfl career over soon.

diver

Reaction score
Oh goody, the other favorite topic. Heyward's contract. All the angst, but a few words in the first sentence of the OP says it all...NO LESS MONEY. It's like comparing apples and oranges.

Greg Lloyd

Reaction score
Oh goody, the other favorite topic. Heyward's contract. All the angst, but a few words in the first sentence of the OP says it all...NO LESS MONEY. It's like comparing apples and oranges.
I feel you are purposely obtuse; you consistently miss the point.

Greg Lloyd

Reaction score
Doesn't matter. Shades Champion. At least smooth the contract with no loss. He has been an outstanding player and great team representative.
Except last year (2 scks, 33 tckls). "But he was hurt." Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. Ahhhhhhhhhhh haaaaaaaaaaaaaa. And he's a year older (35 y/o). How many Super Bowl teams have a 35 year-old DT making $22 mill on the roster? I'm gonna say zero...point...zero.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
He has been mostly durable and a great producer. This is what happens when you kick money down the road. The players cost exceeds their value. They had room to play with his 18 million above dead cap hit. I think they should have looked. They gambled, We will see. They could get him done or smooth out his contract. If it doesn't hurt him and next years cap is better they could kick 10 down the road. I think this should be his last year in B and G. Even if he has a better year, I would not invest much in 2025.

Greg Lloyd

Reaction score
He has been mostly durable and a great producer. This is what happens when you kick money down the road. The players cost exceeds their value. They had room to play with his 18 million above dead cap hit. I think they should have looked. They gambled, We will see. They could get him done or smooth out his contract. If it doesn't hurt him and next years cap is better they could kick 10 down the road. I think this should be his last year in B and G. Even if he has a better year, I would not invest much in 2025.
He's 30-freakin'-five-years old. How many DTs are really good past 35? He'll be 36 next season. I don't recall any DTs being very productive after 35 years old. Do you?

diver

Reaction score
I feel you are purposely obtuse; you consistently miss the point.
I do not miss the point. If we are sitting here in Sept in the same contractual situation with Heyward, I will agree with you. Or if it can be shown his contract limited them in signing anyone, I would agree with you. However, we are not there yet.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
So the logic is what? That Heyward should just voluntarily give up money that is rightfully his because reasons? Thats dumb. If the Steelers felt he was done they would cut him and save 16 million dollars... they didn't feel that was warranted yet.
Highsmith didnt take a pay cut, they just pushed money into the future...and spread it out... the best you could do with Heyward without giving him an extension was a couple voidable years... and all those would hit the books next year...

diver

Reaction score
Look, I understand where Lloyd is coming from on this in the sense that Heyward was vocal about how good it was Ben took the cut to help flesh out the team. So...in the event it's needed Heyward probably ought to do the same, right? But my point is that they aren't there yet. They may never have to do it. And if I was Heyward and it wasn't necessary to help the team, there is no damn way I'd do it. I wouldn't give any money back just for the sake of it. Nobody would.

diver

Reaction score
Except last year (2 scks, 33 tckls). "But he was hurt." Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. Ahhhhhhhhhhh haaaaaaaaaaaaaa. And he's a year older (35 y/o). How many Super Bowl teams have a 35 year-old DT making $22 mill on the roster? I'm gonna say zero...point...zero.

In 1979-80, Joe Greene and LC Greenwood were 34. Does 1 year make that much difference? Especially with all the extra playoff games these guys played, as opposed to Heyward unfortunately?

Greg Lloyd

Reaction score
In 1979-80, Joe Greene and LC Greenwood were 34. Does 1 year make that much difference? Especially with all the extra playoff games these guys played, as opposed to Heyward unfortunately?
Well, Mean Joe only got 3.5 sacks that year, well under his average and high point of 11. So, yes, it mattered I'd say. And I know no one is comparing Cam the great Mean Joe Greene. I mean, come on: Mean Joe was one of THE greatest DTs of all time. Many credit his presence for turning the Steeler franchise around. The man won 4 rings.

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2024/04/24/steelers-nfl-contract-restructure-alex-highsmith/

So Highsmith agrees to a new deal (no less $, simply pushed back cap hit until later). And yet we sit here with 35-year-old Cam with a $22 mil cap hit and do nothing about it?

He should accept a salary cut, straight up if he listened to his very own advice he didactically read off to Big Ben a few years ago. Oh wait, so you can preach to Ben on taking a pay cut, but when it comes to your paycheck, no bueno? OK, I see you Cam, you ain't hiding from me.
Preach.

Cannot argue w/ any of this...

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

Definitely not invest in 2025, on Cam Hayward. This year will tell that his production has slipped and not worth the investment.

Best to cut ties a year early, rather than a year late.

Salute the nation

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Well, Mean Joe only got 3.5 sacks that year, well under his average and high point of 11. So, yes, it mattered I'd say. And I know no one is comparing Cam the great Mean Joe Greene. I mean, come on: Mean Joe was one of THE greatest DTs of all time. Many credit his presence for turning the Steeler franchise around. The man won 4 rings.
And Heyward is a borderline HOF DT. After Donald and KWilliams, who are shoe ins.., he is in that second tier of guys statistically good enough to be in but not a lock.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
I mean its rare for a DT to have a great season after 34, but not unheard of...

Hopefully he has a strong start to the year and if we arent a real contender, we trade him to one ..