• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers and AB agree to a contract extention

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
No, Ben himself said he had to talk to AB after the TD, it wasn't on the field, it was on the bench. Yes wanting the ball is one thing, but pouting when you don't get it is another. Heath Miller of all people had to tell him to shut the hell up before, Ben wouldn't even talk to him for an entire day after one game because the way he was acting.
As for throwing Tomlin under the bus, after the celebrating penalties, Tomlin said in the press conference that he spoke to AB about it, the next day AB says no Tomlin never talked to him. Then after the Facebook thing when Tomlin was obviously pissed, AB on radio row at the super bowl said no Coach was really mad, he just has to come across like that to the media. That's a direct slapping the face to Tomlin's authority.

Like I said, glad we have him, but time to act like a leader.

Steelerfan81

HERE WE GO
Forefather
Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
LOL, find me one post where I said I hate AB?

Lol I don't think you hate anyone. I think you're just reaching a little bit to condem AB.. obviously the Steelers organization, players, coaches etc all agree with Art 2 that everything is minor with AB. People love him.

As far as us stopping NE you know they're gonna draft a corner. They're working on trying to build a secondary. The good thing is Artie and Sean are signed for 4 more seasons so this deal in essence isn't gonna cripple us from building a defense. Tuitt, Bud, and Shazier will get theirs. Plenty of cap to go around.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
With AB I think it is somewhere inbetween.

Thing is the inbetween seems to be minor.

And I also think AB learned a little this season.

Call it a gut instinct, I think we will see a better version upcoming.

Coryea

Forefather
Reaction score
I'm not reaching, when your QB, Head Coach, and a TE that never says anything, have to talk to him on multiple occasions about the way he's acting on the field, then that's not reaching. No denying his talent and work ethic, but if you're being paid like that you need to act like a leader and not a distraction, does anyone hear disagree?

Ironcitysteelers

What do I put here? **** it.
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm Ready.

to-popcorn.jpg

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score

It will help if Bryant is back in the lineup giving Brown all of that free room to run again.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score

I think what you see is what you get with AB....He is a social media player.....He worries about putting his brand out to the public instead of his team(first). Doesn't mean he isn't a great WR. Doesn't mean his work ethic isn't great. Just means he is a "me" first player. A shame actually.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not reaching, when your QB, Head Coach, and a TE that never says anything, have to talk to him on multiple occasions about the way he's acting on the field, then that's not reaching. No denying his talent and work ethic, but if you're being paid like that you need to act like a leader and not a distraction, does anyone hear disagree?

Just read your post....Pretty spot on...Thing is the younger players see this act of his.....You have Ben trying to lead by putting the team first and your other super star player is trying to lead by getting his stats as great as possible and then doing his own thing....if people don't see the difference I really don't know what to say then. AB is great. Ben is great. I just wished/hoped AB would follow Ben's lead on the leadership approach. And as I stated before...I think we have seen what AB is already. He still will be a great WR...just not a great team leader.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score

I like AB, I really do. But he does need to step his attitude up

Coryea

Forefather
Reaction score
It will help if Bryant is back in the lineup giving Brown all of that free room to run again.

Yes a huge plus, and I agree with who ever said they think Brown learned from this past season and we'll see him at his best.

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
Maybe he can afford to focus more on football, now that he's not poor anymore, and he can quit focusing as much on how much his business is booming off the field.

It's great to keep great players, but what somewhat concerns me is that you get an over 30 AB ( in years 3-5 of his contract) getting paid ridiculous money for a WR on the decline, and we could be paying him all that money without a Big Ben throwing to him. If we're paying him that type of loot in years 3-5 without a great QB we have bigly misused our cap space...6 catches for 60-75 yards vs. 3 defensive starters and I'd have to say sign me up for the latter.

If we don't turn this into a SB victory in the waning Ben years we really screwed up imo.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe he can afford to focus more on football, now that he's not poor anymore, and he can quit focusing as much on how much his business is booming off the field.

It's great to keep great players, but what somewhat concerns me is that you get an over 30 AB ( in years 3-5 of his contract) getting paid ridiculous money for a WR on the decline, and we could be paying him all that money without a Big Ben throwing to him. If we're paying him that type of loot in years 3-5 without a great QB we have bigly misused our cap space...6 catches for 60-75 yards vs. 3 defensive starters and I'd have to say sign me up for the latter.

If we don't turn this into a SB victory in the waning Ben years we really screwed up imo.

Dont forget that in 3-5 years that contract won't be even close to the top 5

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score

That's what i'm hoping for. All WRs are obsessed with stats but now AB is highest paid so hopefully now he turns his attention to getting to the Hall of Fame and the surest way to do that is win the Super Bowl.

mightyguru

On a cloud...
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Great news!

He's the best. We got him for the rest of his prime.

insaniti

Contributor
Reaction score
I love the people that throw out the "6 catches for 60-75 yards" as if those are the ONLY plays that he influences by being on the field. Every single time he's on the field the defense is focused on him, the safety is drifting over, etc. The problem this past year was no one was there to step up AFTER him and take advantage of the one on one's he created. Bryant will be back next year, these younger receivers will have another year in the system under their belts. This is a big deal.

If AB wasn't that important, you wouldn't have seen the Patriots game plan for him the way they did. And all this "he's not a team player" bullshit is just that, it's bullshit. He's out there celebrating with each and every one of his teammates when we score. That bologna where "Ben had to calm him down on the bench"... no one knows what the topic was, no one heard what was actually said, they just assumed that it was him pouting he didn't get the TD. He could have been upset at the way New England was playing him, they were pushing, grabbing, knocking him around, and playing very physical and getting away with it too. But no, it had to be because he didn't get the TD on a run play that he knew was a run play...

Hate him for his celebrations (which btw, he didn't get penalized for after Tomlin asked for clarification), hate him because he's out there on social media, hate him because he's a super star WR doing what super star WR's usually do...but don't make **** up, or just assume something when there is no factual evidence of what actually went on.

Coryea

Forefather
Reaction score
Again there's the hate word, who ever said they hate AB? Just because some would like to see him grow up doesn't mean we hate him.

Omar10213245

👀👂🎃🏈🍇🥑🍆🍋🪂🌞🌛🌜☂☔❄🌊🥴🤬🥺
Contributor
Reaction score
The sniveling about Brown is pathetic. Get over it, he's on the team for the long haul

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
I see 1 of 2 things happening. Either brown learns from last year or he becomes more of a diva and turns into Woodley.
I think a lot of stuff with brown is overblown however I do believe he has some selfish tendacies. I believe he is trying to get himself out there to be sure he has life after football. I can't blame him for that, but I think he goes about it wrong sometimes. I think the fact that a deal got done so quick is a positive sign. Obviously the Steelers wanted him and he / his agent were reasonable and did not hold the team hostage.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
I see 1 of 2 things happening. Either brown learns from last year or he becomes more of a diva and turns into Woodley.
I think a lot of stuff with brown is overblown however I do believe he has some selfish tendacies. I believe he is trying to get himself out there to be sure he has life after football. I can't blame him for that, but I think he goes about it wrong sometimes. I think the fact that a deal got done so quick is a positive sign. Obviously the Steelers wanted him and he / his agent were reasonable and did not hold the team hostage.

Yesterday he put up his draft profile and highlighted their negatives on him.

And then stated shortly after about getting a ring.

This cat isn't losing his hunger.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Per Florio he posted this as how AB's contract breaks down.

1. Signing bonus: $19 million.

2. 2017 salary: $910,000.

3. 2018 roster bonus: $6 million due on the fifth day of the league year.

4. 2018 salary: $7.875 million.

5. 2019 roster bonus: $2.5 million due on the fifth day of the league year.

6. 2019 salary: $12.625 million.

7. 2020 salary: $11.3 million.

8. 2021 salary: $12.5 million.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Comments from AB and others regarding contract.

Antonio Brown ✔ @AntonioBrown
6th Round. 195th overall.
“Lacks functional strength…”

I’m still hungry.
Just watch !!

Brandon Boykin ✔ @BrandonBoykin2
Nobody works like @AntonioBrown every day. He Really got it out the gutter. 6th round underdog to highest paid. #Heworthit #allgod #callgod

Ramon Foster ✔ @RamonFoster
Congrats @AntonioBrown #Boomin
6:58 PM - 27 Feb 2017

Joshua Harris ✔ @JoshHarris25
So happy for AB cause I saw the sweat he put in firsthand. Heard the words he spoke. He said he wanted a certain amount of $ and he got it

JJ Watt ✔ @JJWatt
Congrats @AntonioBrown!
Well deserved bro. I still remember that first night at CMU when you smoked us all in the midnight sprints. #Boomin

Marcus Gilbert ✔ @MarcusGilbert88
#callGod congrats to the best wr in the league. @AntonioBrown

Ike Taylor ✔ @Ike_SwagginU
Ok @AntonioBrown paid! @L_Bell26 Finna get paid...@OBJ_3 gone get ��mill also just ��...

shamarko thomas ✔ @shamarko21ya
Congratulations big bro @AntonioBrown Blessings ��

Last edited: