• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers and AB agree to a contract extention

diver

Reaction score
Most of me likes this deal. This is what you do, you lock up your own. This is how you win.

But then there is a small part that looks at what they are doing up in NE. They don't make deals like this. They win the SB and are 63 million under the cap. They have plenty of room to strengthen their team in places they think they may have been a little weak. They find talented guys who are wiling to take a bit less to win championships.

I'm wondering if the old way of doing things may be changing.

obxsteeler

Reaction score
Most of me likes this deal. This is what you do, you lock up your own. This is how you win.

But then there is a small part that looks at what they are doing up in NE. They don't make deals like this. They win the SB and are 63 million under the cap. They have plenty of room to strengthen their team in places they think they may have been a little weak. They find talented guys who are wiling to take a bit less to win championships.

Works when you have Brady. Who else does it that way?

SCSteeler4life

Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe he can afford to focus more on football, now that he's not poor anymore, and he can quit focusing as much on how much his business is booming off the field.

It's great to keep great players, but what somewhat concerns me is that you get an over 30 AB ( in years 3-5 of his contract) getting paid ridiculous money for a WR on the decline, and we could be paying him all that money without a Big Ben throwing to him. If we're paying him that type of loot in years 3-5 without a great QB we have bigly misused our cap space...6 catches for 60-75 yards vs. 3 defensive starters and I'd have to say sign me up for the latter.

If we don't turn this into a SB victory in the waning Ben years we really screwed up imo.

Guy that lead the league in receptions was 33 last year. Larry Fitzgerald just saying.

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
Fitz is a different breed than AB, apples and oranges. A big guy is still big as age creeps in and speed/quickness decline. My main point was this is a SB or bust move. If we get another ring makes sense, just not too sure how much of his successs is Ben dependent. We've seen Ben already contemplating retirement. He is coming back for this year and then maybe 1-2 more? Just not sure there is value in this deal without Ben on board.

Guess we cross that bridge later, hopefully with another Lombardi in the case. For now it's good to have him on board.

deljzc

Reaction score
It's an extremely good deal for the Steelers. The amount of guaranteed money is extremely low for these types of deals.

I mean, we could cut him before March 5th next year and actually SAVE money against our salary cap for 2018. Think about how crazy that is for a huge deal like this.

For example, Dez Bryant got a $20 million signing bonus (vs. Brown's $19 million). Bryant's entire 2nd year salary is guaranteed (nothing in Brown's 2nd year is guaranteed at all). In Bryant's 3rd year, his entire salary is guaranteed after March 5th (In Brown's 2nd year, only 43% of his 2nd year salary is guaranteed after March 5th).

Total money for Julio Jones' deal in the first three years = $47 million. Total money for Brown in the first three years: $48.9 million.

The key to this whole deal is the Steelers give less money in year one and have the ability to get out of the deal BEFORE year three. Yes, they would take a big cap hit, but it's not nearly the risk vs. the Dez Bryant or Julio Jones deals and the guarantees and triggers to decide to keep Brown or release/trade Brown are much better written for the organization.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
Like I said before, we have only a few more seasons of Ben and legit title hopes, go for broke, but still I think NE can score as many points as they need to on us, if we score 35 they'll put up 40, we have like 100 million spent on O and 50 on D heading into next season. Yeah I know they'll draft guys, but it's rare to find guys that produce immediately in the draft like we did last year, and even those guys weren't trusted in the AFCCG.

Spike

Reaction score
Steelers will pay any price to keep Ben from retiring, good jarb

Now go get another #1 WR in the draft!

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Steelers will pay any price to keep Ben from retiring, good jarb

Now go get another #1 WR in the draft!

Wouldn't be surprised to see a WR somewhere between 1-3.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
Wouldn't be surprised to see a WR somewhere between 1-3.

Almost have to in case Bryant gets suspended, not 100% sure what we have in everyone else

black and gold apex

Reaction score
I hope he plays UP to this money, both on the field and off. We need some leaders not show boaters.

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
That's too much cap space to pay a WR.....and a Center

/sn board

diver

Reaction score
Works when you have Brady. Who else does it that way?

That's true.

I want to b e clear. Most of me likes this deal. I think Brown is great. I just look at what they are doing up there. They seem to find talented guys willing to take less to win. Another thing to be clear. I do not have a problem with Brown getting everything he can. That's what he should do. And Ben. And Bell. But the Steelers don't necessarily have to pay it. I am just throwing out there if maybe what the Pats are doing is something to try to emulate. Maybe not. Perhaps you are correct in that it is something only they can pull off.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score

Until there are more coaches like Belichick and more front offices like New England's, it would be difficult for teams to succeed this way. Players know what they are signing up for when they go to New England and no one can just flip the switch and run their organization that way.