• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers 2nd Round Pick

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
trade up for taylor or take harris, see how far if hurts falls to the 3rd make a move, rnd 4 take the LSU OT rnd 5 ruiz micgigan C/G

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Getting Bush cost us a chance at Metcalf, who was there at pick 52. Also, good running backs are definitely available at pick 50 or later - last year Sanders went at 53, Singletary at 74, Mattison at 102. All 3 would have been very good starters for the 2019 Steelers.

Sanders 818 yds rushing, 4.6 YPC, 3 TD's, 50 catches, 509 yards, 10.2 YPR, 3 receiving TD's
Singletary 775 yds rushing, 5.1 YPC, 2 TD's, 29 catches, 194 yards, 6.7 YPR, 2 receiving TD's
Mattison 462 yds rushing, 4.6 YPC, 1 TD, 10 catches, 82 yards, 8.2 YPR

I would feel pretty good about having any of those three come into the 2020 season as the #1 running back.

Interesting.

None of them equate to Derrick Henry...

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Do you trade Connor for a draft pick, if you select a RB with round 2 pick?

Me? No. Don't know what the Steelers will do.

IMO, James Conner is a GREAT BACKUP RB. We need a RB that can play the whole season and one that can secure the ball during the games...

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
trade up for taylor or take harris, see how far if hurts falls to the 3rd make a move, rnd 4 take the LSU OT rnd 5 ruiz micgigan C/G

After deciphering this...

I still say RB Rd#2; bottom of the 3rd - BPA, hopefully a falling QB.

Agreed, OT or OG in Rd #4 (first pick) - we can get both within 3 picks since we have picks 18 & 21...

SteelerInLebanon

Steeler fanatic trying to survive modern society
Contributor
Reaction score
I really truly feel the issue is NOT our running backs and if we swap Conner and Snell on the depth chart we would be ok. The problem is really a three headed monster. QB accounts for one, in game play calling second and overall offensive alignments third.

QB play is a two sided issue the lack of a assing game totally changes the field for the run game and lets them load the box secondly and in my mind more important is the lack of freedom to audible and the ability to adjust the protection and blocking assignments at the line. Ben will fix that part if he is back.

Second the play calling in game is horrendous and does nothing to set up wither the run or pass by being pedestrian at best and childlike in it is inability to even fool my wife at worst.

Third and going hand in hand with the second is the personnel groupings and formations limit the ability to run with strength and make it painfully obvious what is coming. We should have signed a FB when Nix went down but I am not sure they would have used him right if he was healthy. We really needed to use I formation or multiback formations with the QB under center to allow for downhill running and better play action passing that more effectively utilizes the TE in ways that are better disguised. I saw the titans do this effectively last weekend.

In essence if Ben is back we will be ok as he mitigates or hides the second and third of these deficiencies. Without him Randy F. is exposed like a vampire in sunlight. We have the backs we need already to be effective if used correctly. Without Ben Randy would just waste anyone we drafted at the position anyway meaning we are better off going WR or OL or even Defense as TE is pretty useless as well the way he calls a game.

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
we can retain Finney for 1 more year and draft Ruiz in the 5th similar to versatility to Finney can play C and both guard spots or draft Auburn's Kim in the 6th.
as far as OT Saddiq from LSU or the converted OG on Michigan that is being projected better as a LT

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
my top 4 backs
1. Taylor would have to use rnd 2 plus next years 2nd and maybe 4th to move up to the top to get taylor
2 Harris
3 Robbins
4 Akers

mdk2

Reaction score
If there is a high potential OLB in the 2nd round, I’d definitely consider him. I believe Bud will be franchised this year and walk next, so that would be his replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21STEELERS21

21 is my IQ
Reaction score
I've looked at a lot of mocks on the draft sites and I have yet to see 2 RB's picked in the first round. A number of them only have Swift going and
a few have had zero RB's selected. If Steelers want one with their #2 pick they can get a decent back.

Vader

Reaction score
I've looked at a lot of mocks on the draft sites and I have yet to see 2 RB's picked in the first round. A number of them only have Swift going and
a few have had zero RB's selected. If Steelers want one with their #2 pick they can get a decent back.

It's the first part of Jan. so there is no way to know any of that.You still have FAs, combine, private workouts, retirements ETC... Mock drafts this early are useless. There is no way a RB doesn't go in the first round.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
It's the first part of Jan. so there is no way to know any of that.You still have FAs, combine, private workouts, retirements ETC... Mock drafts this early are useless. There is no way a RB doesn't go in the first round.

Especially with the way Seattle, Baltimore, Tennessee, Minnesota, San Fran have all run the ball and are all still in the playoffs.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Many teams have relied on backup or even 3rd string RB's and/or a RB by committee approach and have had success. The 49ers use a RB by committee approach and have no clear lead back. The Rats running attack comes from Jackson, Ingram and even Edwards. Seattle uses a RB by committee approach and lost their 3 top RB's. They are now using guys that weren't playing football just 3 weeks ago. And, even though Minnesota has a stud in Cook, they won games with significant contributions from Mattison and even Boone. So, sure, you can go after a "stud" RB but it still boils down to your O-line and even the rest of the O (Must have some semblance of a passing attack). If the O-line sucks or is mediocre and teams stack the box with 7, 8 or even 9 men (like teams did against the Steelers), you aren't running anywhere.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
Many teams have relied on backup or even 3rd string RB's and/or a RB by committee approach and have had success. The 49ers use a RB by committee approach and have no clear lead back. The Rats running attack comes from Jackson, Ingram and even Edwards. Seattle uses a RB by committee approach and lost their 3 top RB's. They are now using guys that weren't playing football just 3 weeks ago. And, even though Minnesota has a stud in Cook, they won games with significant contributions from Mattison and even Boone. So, sure, you can go after a "stud" RB but it still boils down to your O-line and even the rest of the O (Must have some semblance of a passing attack). If the O-line sucks or is mediocre and teams stack the box with 7, 8 or even 9 men (like teams did against the Steelers), you aren't running anywhere.
Very true, but if you have a legit QB, like we didn't, but hopefully will next season, that QB will take advantage of that, neither Rudolph nor Duck could do it.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Very true, but if you have a legit QB, like we didn't, but hopefully will next season, that QB will take advantage of that, neither Rudolph nor Duck could do it.

True but so many are talking about the need for us to get a top RB. Sure, it would be nice to have but it isn't necessary and may not have even helped this past year for us. I still think we need to go best TE, WR, or RB with our pick in round 2. We do need more play makers. And, I hope, if they go TE, they don't look for the best blocker that can catch some. I want the top TE that can be used as a weapon and can block when needed. We're not going to get another Heath Miller. They don't grow them like him any more in college. They are almost all about pass catching.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score

AggieSteel

Contributor
Reaction score
How about Tyler Johnson, the WR from Minnesota? Since people seem content with our stable of RBs (I'm not but whatever)

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
It matters moron. So does the shuttle and cones. DB’s who skip these drills are hiding something.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

for most positions, the 40 times are over rated. and since his comment was about a punter, 40 time is meaningless ********

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score