• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Shamarko officially a wasted pick

Gay had a pick in his first pre-season game. He played in 16 games his rookie year. He played more snaps in his 2nd year. He was starting by his 3rd season. Thomas hasn't done a tenth of what Gay has so far. They are absolutely nothing alike.

No way can I compete with your memory but Gay was a slow starter. Two passes defensed in '07, 7 in '08 and I can remember the grumbles about at least several times he was burnt for long gains and touchdowns. Maybe not apples for apples but it took a trip to Pittsburgh West and back before we really started to appreciate him.

remember this in '09

Like the Jets game?

For how bad you think Allen is, Sham is well worse.

and I am not arguing that Allen is the answer.

I have been saying all along the S position needed a vet to be added into the mix.

And now it is what will the Steelers do about it?

No way they can be comfy with where SS is right now. And they are a Mitchell injury away from being in some serious trouble.

Jonathan Meeks was cut by the Bills. I personally think he's better than anyone else we have on the roster.

Is Cockrell purely a corner? Not that he is an answer for the short term, but maybe down the line?

Jonathan Meeks was cut by the Bills. I personally think he's better than anyone else we have on the roster.

well **** bring him in and any other experienced safety in. Have a group try out and the best man gets a roster spot.

Is Cockrell purely a corner? Not that he is an answer for the short term, but maybe down the line?

he wasn't even much of a corner in Buffalo

let alone trying him at S

Gay showed promised before he left. One play against Peterson doesn't illustrate anything. For some reason Gay got into the doghouse of certain fans. Gave up a couple of TDs like all CBs not named Revis or Sherman. Gay was always steady and never really deserved all the flak he got

No way can I compete with your memory but Gay was a slow starter. Two passes defensed in '07, 7 in '08 and I can remember the grumbles about at least several times he was burnt for long gains and touchdowns. Maybe not apples for apples but it took a trip to Pittsburgh West and back before we really started to appreciate him.

remember this in '09

Tons of guys get ran over by Peterson. I've watched Timmons get ran over a couple of years ago on a goal line play. It happens. Gay may have been a slow starter but he at least started. He was the starter by year 3. He got torched after that because he isn't an outside CB. He is a slot CB.

Thomas hasn't shown anything. He takes terrible angles and is totally lost. This is his 3rd year and he can't even get on the field over an old vet like Allen. Something is wrong.

Shamarko was a project, 4th rounder small guy with speed and coverage ability. too bad he didn't pan out but is not like he was a 1st or 2nd rounder.

Now given he wasn't the new starting SS of the team they should be proactive in looking for a real solution for the present and future

He was a 4th round pick! Unlike Uncle Jarvis was the #1 in 2013, who will go down as one of the biggest busts of the Tomlin/Colbert era of all-time!

He was a 4th round pick that we used a 3rd round pick to get.

Shamarko was a project, 4th rounder small guy with speed and coverage ability. too bad he didn't pan out but is not like he was a 1st or 2nd rounder.

Who cares if it's round 1 or 2 or 3? It's a relatively small difference in cap space investment. It's not like NFL teams have 1st and 2nd rounders at each starting position. The disappointment is that he's not working out, it's a lost opportunity. Teams need 3rd and 4th and 5th rounders to contribute at least eventually.

Gay showed promised before he left. One play against Peterson doesn't illustrate anything. For some reason Gay got into the doghouse of certain fans. Gave up a couple of TDs like all CBs not named Revis or Sherman. Gay was always steady and never really deserved all the flak he got

He gave up 3 TDs to the P*ts, all to Gronk I believe, before Gronk was "Gronk" if that makes sense. It was very visible and put him in the doghouse with a lot of fans.

Who cares if it's round 1 or 2 or 3? It's a relatively small difference in cap space investment. It's not like NFL teams have 1st and 2nd rounders at each starting position. The disappointment is that he's not working out, it's a lost opportunity. Teams need 3rd and 4th and 5th rounders to contribute at least eventually.

well it would sting A LOT MORE if he were a 1st, no doubt about that. Just ask about a Jarvis Jones

He gave up 3 TDs to the P*ts, all to Gronk I believe, before Gronk was "Gronk" if that makes sense. It was very visible and put him in the doghouse with a lot of fans.

Which turns out now to not be so shameful. Considering Gronk is a monster.

Trade for Kam Chancellor

No dB on the roster holds a candle to him

Worth the hassle/effort clear cap space if you have to

Now given he wasn't the new starting SS of the team they should be proactive in looking for a real solution for the present and future

He was their guy. You don't have projects penciled in as starters then have one old vet behind them. They haven't made a move to upgrade the position because they were depending on him. That's on the coaches. They knew Troy was leaving and Thomas was the guy. They didn't draft a safety and they didn't bring in a FA.

Trade for Kam Chancellor

No dB on the roster holds a candle to him

Worth the hassle/effort clear cap space if you have to

with this team it makes 100% sense

which is why they won't do it

He was their guy. You don't have projects penciled in as starters then have one old vet behind them. They haven't made a move to upgrade the position because they were depending on him. That's on the coaches. They knew Troy was leaving and Thomas was the guy. They didn't draft a safety and they didn't bring in a FA.

yes very poor decision making at the position

easily the worst non off season move

yes I agree, I meant that given they ****** up they should start doing something about it and fix it

yes very poor decision making at the position

easily the worst non off season move
Very strange indeed

One of my biggest beefs with Tomlin is that he refuses to see early evaluations of players for what they are

If a guy is going to be a great, even a good player, he will tend to at least show flashes of that early.

You got guys like Shamarko, Jarvis, Ziggy Hood, etc that you count on for important positions due to how you felt about them on draft day, but they haven't shown anything to make you think they've earned that responsibility. Then you wanna act blindsided or surprised when, years later, they've still shown nothing.

He needs to get over his obsession with players' "pedigree" and start giving honest evaluations to every player on the team every year. People don't get handed jobs and if you want a guy to be your starter but he hasn't shown starter level quality, you better be looking for his replacement

Tons of guys get ran over by Peterson. I've watched Timmons get ran over a couple of years ago on a goal line play. It happens. Gay may have been a slow starter but he at least started. He was the starter by year 3. He got torched after that because he isn't an outside CB. He is a slot CB.

Thomas hasn't shown anything. He takes terrible angles and is totally lost. This is his 3rd year and he can't even get on the field over an old vet like Allen. Something is wrong.

Now there's an argument I can agree with Vader. I yield to your opinions and will admit to being one of those Gay critics of the past. My point is simply that it is possible, though not promising, that Thomas may pan out yet. Our problem is that in the mean time we got nuthin' right now to fill that gap except an average journeyman. Hell of a step down from days past for that position. I'd almost be willing to see how Golden could do if the waver wire is empty.

Tape had me sold on Amos. Not sure where he went, but we seem to have dumped our lower picks anyway. Disappointed in losing Grant.