• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Rooney on Mike Tomlin's future

Steel Maniac

Reaction score
We have an owner that operates the team as if we are in the 1980’s and the league has changed over the last decade especially. Keeping a coach who had never won anything with his own players or coaches.

Tomlin is the African American version of Berry Switzer. The last decade Tomlin wasted our franchise QB and now our window is officially closed. But in reality , our window was closed when Cowher and his coaches left.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score

Agreed. Mikey is 1-5 in his last six games. We collapsed again. 3-7 in his last 10 playoff games. The Steelers have not won a playoff game since 2016, and won't likely win one in 2022. Real funny.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score

Steel Maniac

Reaction score
From the 2010-2020 season, (A 10 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.

What modern day coach do you know could go to the playoffs 8 out of the last 10 years , keep failing, and still be the coach????

Last edited:

mdk2

Reaction score
This thread is funny...

You don't think it's fair to criticize Tomlin for lack of success and criticize the owner for acting like that's good enough?

No one blinks an eye when it comes to criticizing Ben, including the owner but Tomlin... whoa whoa whoa let's not go there.

Last edited:

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
From the 2010-2020 season, (A 10 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.

What modern day coach do you know could go to the playoffs 8 out of the last 10 years , keep failing, and still be the coach????

He's basically become a slightly more successful Marvin Lewis.

Lemmy

Banned
Reaction score

We only made the playoffs 6 times in the last 10 years not 8 times. His late season collapses in 2018 and 2019 precluded that.

SojournerSteel

Reaction score

SojournerSteel

Reaction score
We have an owner that operates the team as if we are in the 1980’s and the league has changed over the last decade especially. Keeping a coach who had never won anything with his own players or coaches.

Tomlin is the African American version of Berry Switzer. The last decade Tomlin wasted our franchise QB and now our window is officially closed. But in reality , our window was closed when Cowher and his coaches left.

And the funny thing is that Switzer was more black than Tomlin in a Dusty Rhodes kind of way. Way more entertaining. Tomlin is just plain stale and way past expiration date.

Stewey

Reaction score
It's funny how anyone not a Steeler fan thinks Tomlin is a god.

Stewey

Reaction score

Not really in that at least Switzer won a Super Bowl... and if I'm not mistaken with Johnsons players and coaches.

He beat Cowher.

I must admit that Neil O'Donnell helped Switzer a lot.

Last edited:

diver

Reaction score

I think Tomlin should be fired. I want to emphasize that. I know that will get lost with what I say next.

He won the Super Bowl in 2008. He won it, not Cowher. It's like saying if I borrow my brother's fishing pole and catch a trout, it's his trout. It's a stupid damn statement.

Maybe he has wasted Ben's years. But so has Ben. Ben isn't some ******' lump of clay that has had no responsibility in all this. Maybe if he plays better in some big spots we aren't having this conversation.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
I think Tomlin should be fired. I want to emphasize that. I know that will get lost with what I say next.

He won the Super Bowl in 2008. He won it, not Cowher. It's like saying if I borrow my brother's fishing pole and catch a trout, it's his trout. It's a stupid damn statement.

Maybe he has wasted Ben's years. But so has Ben. Ben isn't some ******' lump of clay that has had no responsibility in all this. Maybe if he plays better in some big spots we aren't having this conversation.

I always think it is just that Tomlin can get the most out of the players physically. But when they start losing talent to injury things go south as he can't make the X and O adjustments.

Seems to check off all the boxes when looking back on the decade.

Punxsutawney

Reaction score

Ben could always play better, but let's not pretend that, amid the inconsistent rushing offense and overall defense, he hasn't carried Tomlin's *** for the past decade.

A QB can do only so much, as the Steelers defense has been destroyed in three consecutive playoff games.

Tomlin probably should have been fired after the 2017 playoff loss to the Jaguars, as it would have been interesting to see what they could have done with a different approach and set of schemes in Ben's last few years, but the opportunity has evaporated.

diver

Reaction score
I always think it is just that Tomlin can get the most out of the players physically. But when they start losing talent to injury things go south as he can't make the X and O adjustments.

Seems to check off all the boxes when looking back on the decade.

I agree. It is so damn frustrating to watch. And it never changes. It would be nice to see even attempts at change, even if they don't work out.

diver

Reaction score
Ben could always play better, but let's not pretend that, amid the inconsistent rushing offense and overall defense, he hasn't carried Tomlin's *** for the past decade.

A QB can do only so much, as the Steelers defense has been destroyed in three consecutive playoff games.

Tomlin probably should have been fired after the 2017 playoff loss to the Jaguars, as it would have been interesting to see what they could have done with a different approach and set of schemes in Ben's last few years, but the opportunity has evaporated.

I agree with this as well, for the most part. Ben has bailed out coaches most of his career.

But I think that is any coach. Great players playing great make them look good.

Likewise, I think lousy play makes coach look bad. Look, Noll didn't forget how to coach in the 1980s, he just didn't have the same caliber of player. Again, this is not a defense of Tomlin. I just really believe that what we have seen recently cannot be pinned on one guy. It is a collective mess.

If I was the owner, I would move on from Tomlin and Ben. Start over. It is time.