• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Rooney on Mike Tomlin's future

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Two things

1) Will the Steelers extend SBWCMVLT this off season or not. Time will tell and many here, including myself, want a wait and prove it season. If he is successful then look at contract next off season. If Tomlin decides a change of venue (risk we take) then so be it.

2) (small elephant). Many are worried as to us getting a bad coach and doing worse than we are currently perceived of doing. Tomlin wins but also has had argueably the most talented team in the NFL of the last 10 years and doing the least with it. Coaching ability. We could do worse but if given the leeway Tomlin has had I'd bet a reasonable agressive coach would have more success. Win / Loss record aside as we will be losing a Fanchise QB very soon but you will see way better on the field coaching. You know what I'm talking about, adjustments within the actual game / game plan and varying from it / actual stregnth vs taking away stregnth / etc. etc . Etc. all weaknesses of this current coaching regime.

BONUS

3). Art Deuce is NOT a stupid football man. He is also a very smart Buisness man as well. He may say publicly things to keep the peace within the media but behind the scenes he may be doing things we have no clue of knowing. So far he hasn't extended Tomlin so that's saying something. He has also stated Ben can come back but put a stipulation on it showing that BEN isn't the one to make the "power" decisions being made. Art does more behind the scenes than any of us will ever know. I am not saying he is a GURU but he sure as hell isn't a dummy neither. We fans get frustrated easily and see short-sighted often.

The 80s wasn't all losing and the EMPORER had a lifetime job deservingly so after all it was he who brought this franchise out of 40+ years of losing.

Cowher didn't over live his welcome either, 1st six seasons he made the playoffs and entire coaching career he had way less ability to aquire the best team ever. Small budget and continual turn over and contributed actual in game coaching.

Salute the nation

ZonaBurgh

My Opinions Are Awesome!
Contributor
Reaction score
A team with lots of FA's, a tight cap and aging QB with no one in the wings is not a good formula for success.

If Mikey gets extended, and I'm sure he will, never a losing season will fade into the past.

Art II needs to open up his wallet and hire assistants that know their job more than Coach Cliche'.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
I put just as much of the situation on ARII as do Tomlin.

That being said, I’m curious —not condescending....

How many of yinz can remember the 1980s? It wasn’t exactly Dan’s best moments.

The Dan Marino gaffe was most remembered, but the Steelers drafts were mostly abysmal from 1975-1992.

Rod Woodson, Louis Lipps, Robin Cole & Eric Green (being generous with last two) were only 1st round picks that did anything for damn near 20 years.

Tim Worley, John Reinstra, Darryl Sims, Aaron Jones, Walter Ambercombie, Huey Richardson...

And Dan was in charge of those years. Don’t look on past with rose colored glasses and say Dan was perfect.

If the longest stretch of missing playoffs in 20 years is 2 seasons, you’re doing something right

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

Right but he was giving noll the benefit of the doubt there... and he did try to fix things... Dan forced several coaching changes on the lower levels and was in the process of doing it again when Noll ultimately retired...

And it was Dan who decided on Cowher over Donahoe despite having just given Tom a big deal...

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
A team with lots of FA's, a tight cap and aging QB with no one in the wings is not a good formula for success.

If Mikey gets extended, and I'm sure he will, never a losing season will fade into the past.

Art II needs to open up his wallet and hire assistants that know their job more than Coach Cliche'.

See that is just the problem. If we are to believe reports Tomlin called the Cleveland game, there is significant concern that he won't allow the assistant coaches to coach provided they even reach the playoffs. Mainly the defensive play calling. My confidence past a decent start to middle season quickly fades beyond that. Trying to rely on Ben to outscore everyone will put them right back on the outside looking in come end of season.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Steeler Nation mobile app

KStilley

Contributor
Reaction score
Two things

BONUS

3). Art Deuce is NOT a stupid football man. He is also a very smart Buisness man as well. He may say publicly things to keep the peace within the media but behind the scenes he may be doing things we have no clue of knowing. So far he hasn't extended Tomlin so that's saying something. He has also stated Ben can come back but put a stipulation on it showing that BEN isn't the one to make the "power" decisions being made. Art does more behind the scenes than any of us will ever know. I am not saying he is a GURU but he sure as hell isn't a dummy neither. We fans get frustrated easily and see short-sighted often.

Salute the nation

This is what I'm thinking and hoping, Art said Tomlin's the coach in the future. Hell we all new he was coming back with one year on his contract remaining. Hopefully that's the extent of his future here. I've heard much higher votes of confidence from other owners only to see the HC canned at the end of the year. I know the Rooneys have placed allot of value on longevity, loyalty. More so than anyone else but I'm willing to let the year run its course, as long as Tomlin isn't extended unless it's after a 2021 AFC Championship. I'm as tired as the rest of you regarding Tomlin and would have been happy to see him go but I surely didn't expect it to happen, Rooney said what was expected.

diver

Reaction score
I will say this, Art or his Dad would not bash a coach or player in the media, that doesn't mean it didn't happen behind closed doors. We'll know if Tomlin gets his contract extended this offseason.

Who was Art2 bashing? Ben, by saying he couldn't come back on the present contract? That's "bashing?" To me that is called honesty.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
Who was Art2 bashing? Ben, by saying he couldn't come back on the present contract? That's "bashing?" To me that is called honesty.

Calm down, I know you're in a rush to call out anyone that's remotely for Ben returning, but I didn't say Art2 bashed anyone. My point is he gave Tomlin a vote of confidence in his interview, doesn't mean he didn't tell Tomlin behind closed door that he has to do better.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Yeah, that's a good point. I guess I'm just trying to figure out why there is such reluctance to move on from a coach. Like FSF mentioned abut the '80s. I remember those days too well. And Dan stayed with Noll, even through those years from '85-'88. Now I do recall in '88 he forced Noll to make some staff changes, but that is about it. So it isn't just Art2.

Anyway, it has served them well for the most part. But this show we are watching with Tomlin right now just isn't changing, and it just ain't that good. It does take any "wait to next year" hope out of the equation, doesn't it?

I think they just drink the greater media Kool-Aid of his .600 whatever winning percentage and say he is great. No look at the detail. no look at the ability to fix broken things in season, no look at the ability to adjust a gameplan. no look at the winning percentage against contending teams. no look at the mind numbing losses to just **** teams.
Most of all he always talks about not living in their fears, but this organization is terrified of becoming the Browns or the Lions and frankly so are people here. So they would rather live with the illusion of contention.

diver

Reaction score
Calm down, I know you're in a rush to call out anyone that's remotely for Ben returning, but I didn't say Art2 bashed anyone. My point is he gave Tomlin a vote of confidence in his interview, doesn't mean he didn't tell Tomlin behind closed door that he has to do better.

Ok, you are right. I misunderstood the context. There was another thread in which Art2 was criticized for saying Ben can't return on his contract. I fell that is just honesty.

But to address Ben returning...I think I have stated very clearly and without confusion that I think the Steelers problems on offense are due to lousy coaching and substandard play, including the QB. I take issue with the "it's all on Tomlin crowd" because I think that is a somewhat childish opinion. It is never that simple. The offense has to change, of that there is no doubt. Can Ben at this point handle the changes that need to be made to make this an effective offense? Like get under center, play action and move a bit here and there? As I see the recent results, I would answer no. That doesn't mean I don't appreciate what he has done over the years. He gave us great football. I love to see him come back if he can do some of those things, because if he can he is the best chance they have to win. I think I have been pretty damn clear about this all along.

I could come back at you in the reverse. Anyone who suggests that Ben could be part of the problem you rush to call out.

FSF

The Agile Financial
Reaction score
5 years since they won a playoff game. 4 in which they had one of the best GM's and franchise QBs at their disposal. Sure both Rooney's had their flaws. But I am about the here and now and coming off one of the most embarrassing playoff losses in team history. They aren't doing something pretty good. In fact there is nothing pretty about their repetitive late season nose dives. That is the ugly girl in the room that we get to take out to the prom for the foreseeable future.

It’s great that you’re about the here and now.

But that analogy makes zero sense.

I get it. You’re upset about about playoffs.

I’m about big picture—I’m not letting either off the hook for not fixing running game for 3 years. ARII has to to step up and hold accountable more. Neither you or I know what’s going on behind scenes, but as Dan couldn’t get it right for a decade—ARII deserves the same latitude, especially when we’ve experienced success under his stewardship

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
It’s great that you’re about the here and now.

But that analogy makes zero sense.

I get it. You’re upset about about playoffs.

I’m about big picture—I’m not letting either off the hook for not fixing running game for 3 years. ARII has to to step up and hold accountable more. Neither you or I know what’s going on behind scenes, but as Dan couldn’t get it right for a decade—ARII deserves the same latitude, especially when we’ve experienced success under his stewardship

It made perfect sense. The playoff game was a show of times past and present and more than likely future. As everyone is too comfy in their shoes and nobody is going to change until the team starts having losing seasons. If you don't see a repetitious foundation of fail then you are missing the big picture. Which is winning championships. Fixing the running game is only a part of the equation, as the defense has some issues that remain unsolved. Tomlin's inability to adjust things when it matters will sink the ship ten out of ten times.

Last edited:

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
you can feel the fan frustration in all the posts.

For sure. When you push the chips in and you have enough talent to go 11-0 and then teams get a bead on you and you cannot come up with an answer in 6 weeks and get **** pumped by the Cleveland ****** Browns. Its gonna be palpable till that ****** flim flam bullshit king is gone.

Frosty

Reaction score
"Into the future" is a bit of a loose term. Next week is "into the future". He didn't say anything about offering an extension.

xjx

Reaction score
You are seeing everything Tomlin can do. He is the new "Jason Garrett".

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
For sure. When you push the chips in and you have enough talent to go 11-0 and then teams get a bead on you and you cannot come up with an answer in 6 weeks and get **** pumped by the Cleveland ****** Browns. Its gonna be palpable till that ****** flim flam bullshit king is gone.

When it mattered our defense got carved up by sticking with a losing scheme. Forget the turnovers. Aside from that first snap that put the clowns up, the rest the defense should have stopped them. Instead they got sliced up. Every time I see a LB covering a wr, I give a big WTF are you doing. Two down linemen. Not a single sack after leading the league. Their scheme only works with quarterback pressure. I could ramble on all day. The song remains the same. I see the same stupid **** I saw 10 years ago. We're a little better at covering the middle of the field, that's about it.

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
It’s just like when a couple is stuck in a long term relationship they suffer through year after year out of some sort of loyalty, even seeing the relationship is clearly not “working”.

Be the man in the situation Big Mikey T and break up already cause you know your girl the Steelers are far too in love with what you once were to ever leave.

Please it’s the only way this ever ends

diver

Reaction score
When it mattered our defense got carved up by sticking with a losing scheme. Forget the turnovers. Aside from that first snap that put the clowns up, the rest the defense should have stopped them. Instead they got sliced up. Every time I see a LB covering a wr, I give a big WTF are you doing. Two down linemen. Not a single sack after leading the league. Their scheme only works with quarterback pressure. I could ramble on all day. The song remains the same. I see the same stupid **** I saw 10 years ago. We're a little better at covering the middle of the field, that's about it.

The sense I get from the Steelers is that they think if we get real talented players, that should win out over scheme. And to be honest, I think that is true most of the time. I don't think the '70s Steelers defense was out-scheming anyone, they just went out there and kicked people's ***. However, what happens when some of those talented players get hurt or are having an off day? This staff just cannot seem to do much once that happens.

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
If they extend Tomlin this off-season, I'm done

I could not support or respect a team that would reward the last several years of mediocrity.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
The sense I get from the Steelers is that they think if we get real talented players, that should win out over scheme. And to be honest, I think that is true most of the time. I don't think the '70s Steelers defense was out-scheming anyone, they just went out there and kicked people's ***. However, what happens when some of those talented players get hurt or are having an off day? This staff just cannot seem to do much once that happens.

This is a very true statement. Talent should win out over scheme if the talent is significantly in your favor. But in the Salary Cap era it almost never is. Especially in the playoffs. So it comes down to hiding your flaws and who does that the best. Lets take KC for example. There defense isn't particularly good. So what do they do? They play hyper aggressive knowing they can score and all they need is a couple turnovers.
I have zero doubt that the franchises that get dummied year in and out, the Bengals, the Lions, the Chargers, the Jaguars etc. would drool to have what the Steelers got. But I find it hard to believe he would still be employed by any of the more successful franchises after the way they keep collapsing.