• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Reasons why we lost

stuntmanmike

Contributor
Reaction score
Time to fire a few coaches starting with Carnell lake. Secondary reminds me of the offensive line before we hired munch. We need to go to a hard four man line and blitz Dupree. Brady has 19 tds zero picks against us last 6 games... receivers running around in our zones like they are invisible. Hogan set a team record for yards in a game. That's horrible coaching and it's not going to get better without serious changes. You have to control line of scrimmage and be able to cover receivers all over he field. I hate losing....

Bill s55

Reaction score
This teams coaching staff IQ is low. We got embarrassed tonight. Looked like a high school team going against pros.
Butler can't adapt to save his life. How long do we let the middle and seams be wide open. How many games do we watch our defensive players looking around like "that was your guy" . Don't see that on the pats...totally under coached team, no discipline.
Pats players looked like they want to win a championship, our players look like they just want to cash a check.

It all starts from management.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
Here is my breakdown of Blame

Coaching 70%
WRs 20%
OL 5%
Bell Injury 5%

I don't really blame any individuals on defense. They were set up to fail by using the same old gameplan that Tom Brady has memorized and laughs about. I mean that literally. I guarantee you Brady is laughing about how the steelers didn't even attempt to do anything different than what they normally do.

hamster

Pronouns: Your lordship
Contributor
Reaction score
If you can:t put pressure on Brady., you lose. What is there not to get.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Tomlin is an average coach at best, one day the Homers will wake up and realize he is another Marvin Lewis.
MT is Marvin Lewis with better ownership and FO.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
How anyone views this as anything but a complete team loss from the top to the bottom is beyond me.

Nothing tonight was a winning performance

nothing...........

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
Dumbest ******* game plan I have ever seen. So dumb it had to be with intent to lose 2. The reffing in games is one sided and slant things to influence the desired outcome. I've watched it too many years now. These pat****clowns have been beating people with scrub nobodies for many years now . Nobody is that good for that long these days without a ton of help.

I was just about done with the NFL after that 17-0 bs year the giants suckered me back in. I refuse to ever get so emotional invested in this Mickey Mouse wwe bs ever again

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I didn't expect to win. I expected to play them tough. The coaches didn't put them in good position and the players particularly the receivers didn't help.

blitzburghv5

Reaction score
Guys....look....just give credit where its due....that team we played just whipped our ***...I don't care if you had Lombardi, Cowher, Walsh, or Parcells on the sidelines, we just didn't have the horses to match up with that team. Houston played them tough, for sure, but NE prepared extremely well to prevent a repeat in breakdowns and they absolutely provided stellar protection schemes vs our blitz.....the few attempts at blitzing up the middle, they thwarted that ****....

Losing Bell didn't help our cause at all..........so once they focused on locking AB down there was no way we were gonna keep pace.....

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Because we are badly coached

Man vs man, we are better than that team. They outschemed us, as usual

Steelers are definately better man vs man. Coaching showed big time after that challenged fumble. My thoughts is the Steelers are maybe just too proud to sway away from their gameplan

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
They had the horses to play a much better than what they did. That is complete bullshit.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Guys....look....just give credit where its due....that team we played just whipped our ***...I don't care if you had Lombardi, Cowher, Walsh, or Parcells on the sidelines, we just didn't have the horses to match up with that team. Houston played them tough, for sure, but NE prepared extremely well to prevent a repeat in breakdowns and they absolutely provided stellar protection schemes vs our blitz.....the few attempts at blitzing up the middle, they thwarted that ****....

Losing Bell didn't help our cause at all..........so once they focused on locking AB down there was no way we were gonna keep pace.....
OK dude. Explain to me outside of their QB who they allowed to do exactly what he wants to do. Who are these horses you speak of? What horses do they have. Cause after Brady the next 4 or 5 best players on the field are Steelers.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
If you can:t put pressure on Brady., you lose. What is there not to get.

I'd order corner if safety blitz often. You have to get in Brady's face. The short zone never works vs Brady. You need to get presure and play man.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
How anyone views this as anything but a complete team loss from the top to the bottom is beyond me.

Nothing tonight was a winning performance

nothing...........

It was a flat, uninspired performance no doubt. Cannot deny the weopons on this team. There was a lot that factored into this game. Bad coaching, Coates, Jarvis, zone coverage and to a point officiating. All said that should be up to Tomlin to rally the team and get their mindset to overcome.

Sucks losing. But what can we do at this point?

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
It was a flat, uninspired performance no doubt. Cannot deny the weopons on this team. There was a lot that factored into this game. Bad coaching, Coates, Jarvis, zone coverage and to a point officiating. All said that should be up to Tomlin to rally the team and get their mindset to overcome.

Sucks losing. But what can we do at this point?

Be aggressive in free agency fill holes at OLB/CB/WR

can Butler

draft a TE/OLB/ILB/WR/CB BPA

that would be a good start

Reactions: MTC

cphill

Reaction score
Main reason ???....we put 0 pressure on Brady.......this is a recording.......

blitzburghv5

Reaction score
OK dude. Explain to me outside of their QB who they allowed to do exactly what he wants to do. Who are these horses you speak of? What horses do they have. Cause after Brady the next 4 or 5 best players on the field are Steelers.

Give me the names of any teams that have locked down Edelman ....Give me the names of teams that have controlled the trenches with their offensive ? They cleaned up the issues they had vs Houston...no way were they gonna let Brady become exposed to any hits...they RAN our defense....we might have better athletes in SOME areas, but they know exactly how to attack how we were defending and they attacked it all night long

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
Give me the names of any teams that have locked down Edelman ....Give me the names of teams that have controlled the trenches with their offensive ? They cleaned up the issues they had vs Houston...no way were they gonna let Brady become exposed to any hits...they RAN our defense....we might have better athletes in SOME areas, but they know exactly how to attack how we were defending and they attacked it all night long
We didn't even try cone after him, hell we ******* blitzed more on run downs than we did vs the pass

maowv

Contributor
Reaction score
Reasons we lost are many. Here are a few observations from this game:

1) Tomlin and staff are simply not on the level that New England's coaching staff is and it shows. Their defense had a good plan to stop any big plays
2) Ben, again did not play his best in a road game. He had a good stretch in the 2nd quarter but overall I'd give him a C+ today. Nothing special from him.
3) Losing L. Bell hurt but it wasn't like they were using him a lot in the gameplan - more on this in a moment.
4) Sammie Coates better get an eye exam in the off-season. The guy had 3 balls hit both hands and he missed all three. I wasn't a big fan of the first drive, 3rd and 1 call but Ben put the ball on his hands on that deeper pass. He has to catch that. Should have run Bell on that 3rd and 1, especially since he picked up 9 in 2 runs and seemed to be finding holes. No momentum to start the game.
5) WR unit has to be better next year. Coates dropped several. Hamilton dropped a TD. This team needs 2 more dependable weapons in the passing game. Lots of questions with Bryant, Coates, Rogers, Ayers and a very expensive TE who can't seem to find the field.
6) Offensive play calling in this game was rather lackluster and predictable. Haley has his moments but tonight wasn't one of them. He needs to expand his game a bit.
7) Defense - Butler was taken to school just like his previous boss was. Played the same system and got the same result. Is it arrogance or ignorance?
8) Defense - New England wins on the scheme matchup. Pittsburgh cannot cover Julian Edelman with Lawrence Timmons and yet they try over and over again. We cannot cover any New England WR with James Harrison and yet we try. We fail on scheme. I'm going to say it out loud. The 3-4 zone matchup does not work against Belichek anymore. If it ever worked, that game was played prior to 1999. He's figured out how to exploit this system with this personnel package. We cannot cover WR with outside linebackers like the ones on this roster. If we want to cover WR with LB then we better start drafting smaller and faster LB. Why, why, why will the Steelers not line up in press man-to-man, and blitz Brady every play. Hit him repeatedly because when that happens he doesn't like it and can get rattled. The pretty boy can't stand contact. Sure, we give up some big plays for scores but guess what - we give up scores anyway.
9) Defense - No pressure, no pressure, no pressure all night. One reason is our DB are 10 yards off the line of scrimmage so Brady can dump the ball immediately. We don't cover the short pass and we don't get pressure. Game was lost before it was played.
10) Defense -the secondary looked lost and out of sorts many times tonight, left several completely uncovered. Maybe Butler was drunk when he put the game plan together? Were the signals not getting in correctly? Who knows but it sure looked like our defense was running different plays on the same play. Looked bad.
11) Todd Haley should never be permitted to call another play from the 1 yard line. Never. Ever.
12) 22-0. 22 touchdowns and 0 interceptions. That should be tattooed on Tomlin's and Butler's foreheads. That screams having a bad plan and then being too stubborn to change it. They have no clue how to stop Brady but they have certainly figured out what Brady likes to play against.

Frustrated like all of you but it's worse when you see a team that is so badly out-coached every time these teams match up. Even if we had better players, it's not going to matter until the scheme against the Patriots changes.

See you at the Draft.

Last edited:

Sevenisheaven

Banned
Reaction score
In a nutshell one play says it all

Why did we lose?

Their coach and their QB is smarter and have higher expectations and execute better. It's that simple. I don't know if on 3rd & 1 Haley calls a long pass to Coates when you have the best RB in the game or if Ben audibles that. You have the best RB in the game and if you want to take a shot downfield with Coates then fine but don't do it on 3rd & 1. Maybe Haley is the idiot and maybe it's Ben but that kind of poor judgment is completely and utterly unacceptable and it happens too often in the most key moments. The Patriots don't do that ****. We do constantly. If it was Haley then Tomlin should say what the **** or override him. If it's Ben Tomlin or Haley should say run the ******* plays we call. But what do we do? Someone in the organization does something dumb and it's not corrected and it keeps getting done. Coates has hardly caught any balls in the last two months and zero long balls in that time frame. He notoriously has suspect hands. That call killed the drive and the first drive is huge in a game like that. We run a low percentage okay when we need one yard with a player that frankly isn't a very good receiver. I had hoped for Coates last year and this year but have realized he's a cheap version of Mike Wallace. He struggles with fighting for the ball and doesn't have the best ball awareness and doesn't have great hands. He's just not that good yet you put him in that situation. If they wanted to pass there they should have targeted Miller or Rodgers or used Brown in a quick slant....A high percentage short quick pass to a receiver with good hands. It was the first drive and it was zero zero yet I knew we'd lose when that call was made....It stunk of poor judgment by either the coaches or the most important decision maker on the field. Someone or a few are just poor at situational football. Bellichick is fantastic in this regard and so is Brady and that's why they have our number. They play to their strengths and execute. We often do not in the most key moments. I could list fifteen other calls that exemplified poor judgement but it took that Coates call for me to throw the kitchen chair into a wall and watch family members leave. Lol

They are smarter plain and simple. Can you imagine how many points the Patriots would score with our line Brown Rodgers and Bell for God's sake? Freeze

So sad

6Rings

Reaction score
We fear the Ravens and the Patriots. The coaches give both teams too much respect, which causes them to fall behind. No killer instinct on offense at all. We constantly bullshit around with teams until we fall behind. Then the offense may come alive.

diver

Reaction score
I thought it was a good, aggressive call at that spot. You have to take chances to beat the Pats, and with guys who they might not be as focused on.

The pass was right there and the guy let it whistle by. I won't blame the coaches or QB for that. It was there, the guy just didn't catch it.