• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Really happy with the 2-0 start. But Ben throws too many INTs

fogdoctor

Reaction score
1) Ben likes to hold the ball to go deep.
2) Ben believes he can make any throw.

I'm fine with it.

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
The int he almost threw in the EZ would have been bad. Granted brown was a victim of PI, but still a rough decision.

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
Cope beat me to it.

First pick was a 4th down play that the idiot PacMan would've been smarter to drop, but in stat padding he costs his team field position in making the pick.
Second pick Coates gives up position and allows Kirkpatrick to force him to the sideline and not contest the pick.

These 2 picks were of little significance unless you're a fantasy player, I live in reality. If and when Ben starts capping off long drives with red zone picks or giving it away on early downs in our own end of the field I'll start to get annoyed.

These picks had little bearing on the outcome of the game.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
There was nothing wrong with his "control of the ball"

Disagree. In the first game he fumbled and we were fortunate to recover it

In this game he pumped faked in the Rain and the ball came out.

I saw some other passes that could have been intercepted but the defender dropped it.

Living dangerously...

We are 2-0 but can we keep winning with no pass rush, 350 plus passing yards against and this many turnovers?

Last edited:

antdrewjosh

Reaction score

I saw some other passes that could have been intercepted but the defender dropped it.

Living dangerously...

We are 2-0 but can we keep winning with no pass rush, 350 plus passing yards against and this many turnovers?

Coach once again you are looking at stats that don't tell the whole story. Yes we are giving up passing yards but we are not giving up explosive plays. Dink and dunk is not going to beat us..

Spike

Reaction score
Well dammit don't they realize if they just ran the ball every down with 2 FB's and 3 TE's this would never happen!

Call Rooney!

Troglodyte

Reaction score
My only issue with his ints, and it hasn't been an issue lately, are redzone ints. He needs to sometimes be willing to take a FG instead of trying to force a TD.

steelhurt

Reaction score
We won correct? Come on guys, we're 2-0 without Bell, Wheaton, Bryant, Green, Nix on offense and missing Dupree on defense. Ben has 6 TD passes and 3 int's in two games but the one against the Skins was on Rogers more than Ben and yesterday more on Coates on one of the interceptions.. He's playing with relatively new receivers in Coates, Rogers, Grimble and James. Of course there's going to be a lack of communication at times.

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
Can't judge Ben based on a down pour rain game. He's still got some gunslinger in him and yes he will throw some picks, but he tends to make more plays then INTS

ianv2012

Reaction score

Living dangerously...

Maybe you should post a thread about it....wait....nevermind

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I did feel that Ben was forcing some things deep to Coates a couple times. Kinda dusting off the "Arians" book once or twice. However later in the game that seemed to loosen up the Bengals line a bit and free up Williams some more. Whether that was because the Bengals were simply getting tired or because they realized Ben really WOULD throw it deep and they had to respect the routes with a safety and a corner, who knows. But Sammy finally catching a couple long ones sure didn't hurt.

However, on one of those deep routes that was an int, Ben had Rodgers over the middle for an easy 1st and he didn't take it. These are the things, that in a divisional game against the Bengals maybe sometimes you want to take a gimme where they give it to you. On the other hand, if you can stab them in the heart, I sorta feel like Ben's gonna grab the ginsu.

So - what are you gonna do? Love them the way they are. It was God-awful out there. The weather was ridiculous.

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score

Living dangerously...

there have not been many sacks but there has been pressure...Dalton was crushed on one play just after he threw the ball.

they can have as many passing yards as they want as long as they don't end up in TDs.....kick all the ******* field goals you want....

ark steel

Reaction score
IMO, the second INT was a vintage Ben INT. The "I'm throwing this pass, regardless". He has a few of those. I accept it and move on.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
One was the right read and a good throw just a young receiver not understanding he needs to get position. Instead Coates got boxed out like he was the DB and then he didn't even DB well letting the CB haul it in. The other was a poor thrown ball but again Coates looked lost and by the time he tracked the ball the DB had position. Ben likes to throw it deep but with this group of receivers I think he needs to reign it back a little.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Look, the first int came on 4th down.. Meaning
a. Its worth throwing a ball there regardless because its a turnover anyhow.. And
b we gained field position by him catching it...

The second was down to the 32 yard line from the 20.
If we had been stopped on 3rd down and had to punt and we punted 50 yards people would be estatic, but throw a interception that leads to the same result and they are bitching about it.
There were 48 seconds left... If we aren't trying to go deep with our fastest wr in 1 on 1 coverage there, well we are panzies... It was a great risk that just played out bad for us.. He catches it and we get a field goal shot or more... They Capitalized and a field goal from it, but that doesn't change the fact it was a good strategic attempt.

Last edited:

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
there have not been many sacks but there has been pressure...Dalton was crushed on one play just after he threw the ball.

they can have as many passing yards as they want as long as they don't end up in TDs.....kick all the ******* field goals you want....

On the first point - agreed. Heyward planted Dalton, and on two others, Jones knocked him down, once with a very solid hit. Dalton was skittish in the pocket due to the pressure and hits.

As to point #2 - yep. Additionally, the zone defense is going to get better (1) as Burns and Davis improve (and they will), and (2) once Dupree returns and starts rushing the passer.

chipped ham

Reaction score

Living dangerously...

Well, currently were on pace to go 16-0 with this exact game plan. Just saying.

awboatguy

Reaction score
Some jack-offs are bitching about nothing to ***** about after 2 wins

Ah...the Kaepernick syndrome. I am unhappy even though I have everything going for me. Got it.

Defense has given up 2 TDs in 8 quarters of football. I'll take that no matterm the yards gained. Hell, if the opposing team gets 650 yds of offense and only 1 TD and we win.....Well....WE WIN! Good enough for me.

see how I spun that one?

Last edited:

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
On the first point - agreed. Heyward planted Dalton, and on two others, Jones knocked him down, once with a very solid hit. Dalton was skittish in the pocket due to the pressure and hits.

As to point #2 - yep. Additionally, the zone defense is going to get better (1) as Burns and Davis improve (and they will), and (2) once Dupree returns and starts rushing the passer.

And Hargrave and Heyward return to 100%. It looks like Hargrave is pretty well recovered after tracking down that receiver on the horse collar tackle. Incredible quickness for that big man. I wasn't even mad about that penalty, that was just amazing!

Heyward is still a bit knocked up, but is playing. His injury isn't projected to be completely healed until October, so I hope he doesn't re-tweek it.

ark steel

Reaction score
Look, the first int came on 4th down.. Meaning
a. Its worth throwing a ball there regardless because its a turnover anyhow.. And
b we gained field position by him catching it...

The second was down to the 32 yard line from the 20.
If we had been stopped on 3rd down and had to punt and we punted 50 yards people would be estatic, but throw a interception that leads to the same result and they are bitching about it.
There were 48 seconds left... If we aren't trying to go deep with our fastest wr in 1 on 1 coverage there, well we are panzies... It was a great risk that just played out bad for us.. He catches it and we get a field goal shot or more... They Capitalized and a field goal from it, but that doesn't change the fact it was a good strategic attempt.

For the second INT it was a good strategic play to call, but it shouldn't be, throw this pass regardless. When you see your receiver doesn't have the guy beat, you just don't throw it and try to pick up the first down, instead. Maybe, you don't make it, but it is higher percentage than that throw was.

Steelerfreak

Reaction score
I think you are worrying to much on this one. What bothers me a little more is at the end of the half, it's 10-3, the Bengals are showing no interest in timeouts. Get to the half, especially since the Bengals have the ball coming out. Don't give them back to back series. So in my mind he int. is more of result of poor decision making in handling of the clock there, which can be remedied.

Yes exactly..... I was fortunate to be at the game with my girl and after the very fortunate conversion on that flip and fingertip grab, I said that was big, I basically ensures the Bengals dont get the ball back in the half. Then, wham.....a overly aggressive play and they got 3 from it. The gunslinger mentality ogt the best of him on a day where just killing the clock and ending the half was the smarter play.

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
And Hargrave and Heyward return to 100%. It looks like Hargrave is pretty well recovered after tracking down that receiver on the horse collar tackle.

Until yesterday, I did not know that grabbing the jersey could constitute a "horse collar" tackle.

Steelerfan81

HERE WE GO
Forefather
Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
And Hargrave and Heyward return to 100%. It looks like Hargrave is pretty well recovered after tracking down that receiver on the horse collar tackle. Incredible quickness for that big man. I wasn't even mad about that penalty, that was just amazing!

Heyward is still a bit knocked up, but is playing. His injury isn't projected to be completely healed until October, so I hope he doesn't re-tweek it.

I spoke to Hargraves on Saturday and he said he's great and good to go.

Wingman

Reaction score
Until yesterday, I did not know that grabbing the jersey could constitute a "horse collar" tackle.

I did not think it could either, I was under the impression that it had to involve the shoulder pads or at least the collar area of the jersey not the middle of the back.