• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Really happy with the 2-0 start. But Ben throws too many INTs

AggieSteel

Contributor
Reaction score
So my question to you all is - which point of view do you identify with more?

1) I can live with Ben's INTs because they are largely a result of the same thing that makes him great - taking shots downfield, trusting his arm, and trusting his WRs to make plays. Let him do him

or

2) Regardless of the fact that we're 2-0, Ben's INTs concern me. They haven't cost us any games yet, but to win a championship, he has to protect the ball better period

Honestly - I find myself leaning more toward statement 2. I love the way he is playing so far this year (and in 2015) but the INT numbers are too high. To get those hard-fought playoff games against great teams, those 1 or 2 bonehead throws could cost us a chance at #7. Thoughts? Do you think he will clean this up throughout the season or just keep flinging it?

diver

Reaction score
I think you are worrying to much on this one. What bothers me a little more is at the end of the half, it's 10-3, the Bengals are showing no interest in timeouts. Get to the half, especially since the Bengals have the ball coming out. Don't give them back to back series. So in my mind he int. is more of result of poor decision making in handling of the clock there, which can be remedied.

diver

Reaction score
The Bengals are a darn good football team, too. Let's not forget that.

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
A wet ball and at least the 1st one either slipped out of his hand or he and Brown were not on the same page...

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Risk and reward... Who cares... Qbs always have thrown ints... 50% dont really matter... The pacman one was a great play for us... The other was a low percentage bomb... When the cb makes that play you give him props... That aint easy

Steel G

Reaction score
This team isnt going anywhere without Ben, so the INTs are just something i can live with.

Ironcitysteelers

What do I put here? **** it.
Contributor
Reaction score
Weather ****** both passing games up. But With BB we live and die with the deep ball. Love it when it hits, destroy the team when it fails. Divisional game, rain, I think we did a great job.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
People are getting a little picky...the rain might of had a little to do with it today. He had Coates open on the one play....just over threw it. It will happen now and then during a season.

AggieSteel

Contributor
Reaction score
People are getting a little picky...the rain might of had a little to do with it today. He had Coates open on the one play....just over threw it. It will happen now and then during a season.

Yeah you guys are probably right. Like I said I'm generally thrilled with his play, a 2-0 start, and beating those POS's. I'll chill out about the INTs

SteelChip

Contributor
Reaction score
Wet ball underthrows are gunna be there on a rainy day more so than normal, move along now..nothing to see here.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
Bradshaw threw a **** ton more ints and things worked out well.My dad used to ***** about it,but he sure didn't ***** about those Super Bowls. It was a freaking monsoon.chill. All is well.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Ben needs to have better control of the ball. In fairness to him is was raining and Rogers was too quiet. Bretons game depends on cuts. Had to do that on a wet field.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm too buzzed to care about int's at the moment. **** the bengal kitties. Just win

Black & Gold Bleeder

Forefather
Reaction score
Ben needs to have better control of the ball. In fairness to him is was raining and Rogers was too quiet. Bretons game depends on cuts. Had to do that on a wet field.

There was nothing wrong with his "control of the ball"

Steel Ballin

Reaction score
Nothing new here. No changing him now. If he throws them in a big game they'll lose, if not they have a good chance to win.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Ben and Brown weren't on the same page for the first interception. Coates stopped running on his route which caused the second interception. Easy to place the blame on the quarterback, but more to it on the two today.

pittbull

Contributor
Reaction score
My perception, whether real or not is, it seems Ben's int's are either the result of the receiver screwing up the route or tipping the ball, or just a complete, "WTF were you thinking, Ben?!" It rarely seems it's just a DB making a great play on the ball.

I guess that's that's the result of him just putting it up and giving his receiver a chance to make a play on the ball. I guess if he stops taking chances, his INT #s would drop. So yeah...#1.

Steelmann

Reaction score
So my question to you all is - which point of view do you identify with more?

1) I can live with Ben's INTs because they are largely a result of the same thing that makes him great - taking shots downfield, trusting his arm, and trusting his WRs to make plays. Let him do him

or

2) Regardless of the fact that we're 2-0, Ben's INTs concern me. They haven't cost us any games yet, but to win a championship, he has to protect the ball better period

Honestly - I find myself leaning more toward statement 2. I love the way he is playing so far this year (and in 2015) but the INT numbers are too high. To get those hard-fought playoff games against great teams, those 1 or 2 bonehead throws could cost us a chance at #7. Thoughts? Do you think he will clean this up throughout the season or just keep flinging it?

The Bengals are a darn good football team, too. Let's not forget that.

This^^^. The bengals are a good team. As much as I hate them,their huge front line and good secondary are a tough matchup,and every game will be a slugfest. Yes Ben had a less than stellar game ,but made the plays when they counted. By the way,nobody mentions that huge drop Antonio had,on a brilliant play by Ben.

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
Despite missing four and a half games last season, Roethlisberger still threw 16 INTs.

It's kind of a concern, as INTs are the type of things that can really shift momentum in games, and, prior to last season, he had been among the best in the league at avoiding INTs.

I'd like to see him clean that **** up, as the Steelers do not have the defense to make up for too many turnovers.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
Both INTs today were punts. One was a better result than an incompletion on 4th down. Neither cost us filed position, fortunately.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
Both INTs today were punts. One was a better result than an incompletion on 4th down. Neither cost us filed position, fortunately.[/QUOTE

That's the way I saw it. Just a punt.