• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Pirates 2024

JMM

Gone Fishin'
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm right here. Can't you understand plain English
It shows you just how much I have followed MLB lately... I had no idea about the automatic runner rule.

Anyway, raise the Jolly Roger (halfway).
Automatic runner rule, Gracie? I'm thinking Jetsons with a robot player that's dropped on the field with a 100 yard hydraulic arm, but I'm probably wrong,,, again.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
8 and 2 after todays win. Wasn't pretty...but a win is a win.

Reactions: JMM

SteelerInLebanon

Steeler fanatic trying to survive modern society
Contributor
Reaction score
Watching today's lineups.... man do the Bucs have a bunch of nobodies and never weres as coaches.
This made me think of a scene in Major League

Lou: [answering the phone] Tire World.Charlie: Lou, it's Charlie Donovan with the Cleveland Indians. How would you like to manage the Indians this year?Lou: Gee, I don't know...Charlie: What do you mean, you don't know? This is a chance to manage in the big leagues.Lou: Lemme think it over, will ya, Charlie? I got a guy on the other line about some white walls. I'll talk to ya later.

Steeler Pride

Bourbon Connoisseur
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Bednar needs to get right. We should have two more wins.
Especially since there is no need to keep throwing him out there injured or with the yips when we have Chapman sitting there available.

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
It was good to see Bednar close out a game strongly after struggling in his first few outings.

The pitching has been carrying them recently, as the offense has cooled off considerably from how it started the season, depending a lot on opponents' errors to score runs.

Hayes is showing no power thus far, and Cruz is striking out a ton.

Davis had a decent game last night, but has yet to get it going overall.

They need a lot more from these guys if they're going to compete this season.

On another note, Paul Skenes is not even being challenged in AAA right now. There is little point in keeping him down there any longer.

stillerfaninfl

Contributor
Reaction score
Bucs up 3-2 top of the 7th. Starter only around 87 pitches, going strong. Let's see if Shelton screws this up.

steel dino

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Davis is struggling at the plate..,and behind the plate…
He is not a MLB caliper catcher…

stillerfaninfl

Contributor
Reaction score
Pirates need a manager that knows what the
he ll he's doing. Shelton takes pitchers out when he shouldn't and leaves 'em in when he shouldn't.

JMM

Gone Fishin'
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm right here. Can't you understand plain English
Pirates need a manager that knows what the
he ll he's doing. Shelton takes pitchers out when he shouldn't and leaves 'em in when he shouldn't.
That's pretty much standard Pirates Baseball from when I started watching in '79 until I quit in about 2008. If you are concerned about your long term health, it's probably best not to watch or listen to Pirates games. Just read about it the next day.

stillerfaninfl

Contributor
Reaction score
Pirates pitcher doing great. Pulled after just 5 innings due to pitch count. Let's see if Shelton can piss this one away.

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
They seem to be falling back to earth a bit. The offense and bullpen have been pretty bad over the past week.

Quinn Priester makes his first start of the season tonight. If he can perform to his potential, it would be a very positive development with what Jared Jones has shown and Paul Skenes probably arriving in a couple months.

On the other hand, the high-ceiling hitting talent has been disappointing thus far with Cruz and Davis struggling early on.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
They seem to be falling back to earth a bit. The offense and bullpen have been pretty bad over the past week.

Quinn Priester makes his first start of the season tonight. If he can perform to his potential, it would be a very positive development with what Jared Jones has shown and Paul Skenes probably arriving in a couple months.

On the other hand, the high-ceiling hitting talent has been disappointing thus far with Cruz and Davis struggling early on.
Quinn Priester got absolutely hammered by an awful Red Sox lineup. This team has SOME talent, but I’ll be damned if the Pirates know how to develop any of it.

As far as hitting, the Pirates have had a dearth of it for nearly a generation. Not sure why, but that is something they desperately need to change.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
This team was 10-4, now 11-9 and have been outscored 17-2 in their last two outings by crummy teams. Falling back to earth a bit is an understatement.

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
As far as hitting, the Pirates have had a dearth of it for nearly a generation. Not sure why, but that is something they desperately need to change.

They had a couple years when they could score runs with those playoff teams they had about a decade ago. McCutchen was an MVP-level player and they had a decent supporting cast around him with the likes of Starling Marte, Neil Walker, Russell Martin, and Jung Ho Kong. Pedro Alvarez had his moments as well.

However, good offensive clubs have definitely been a rarity for a long time now.

Honestly, good pitching seasons have been few and far between as well, which also contributes to them having only three winning seasons over the past 30+ years.

I still think it really starts and ends with Bob Nutting. The attitude of ownership towards winning is ultimately what sets the tone for an organization, regardless of the sport.

str8liner

Reaction score
This team was 10-4, now 11-9 and have been outscored 17-2 in their last two outings by crummy teams. Falling back to earth a bit is an understatement.

Just like last year. Everyone all excited about the start. I'm like yea, great but its a 162 game season. And this is the Pirates. And we have been here before.

Headed back to sub .500 baseball pretty quick it seems. :(

str8liner

Reaction score
Here's a start .... Fire Shelton and the whole coaching staff.

I think we should start by having the water in Pittsburgh tested first.

Every professional sports team in the city has issues with looking like a contender a few weeks then falling off a cliff and losing multiple games in a row.

I swear, there is no common middle of the road ground with the Pirates, Steelers or Pens.

Contenders one week and sucking hind tit then next.

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
Yeah, the wheels are completely falling off, as Jared Jones has been the only real bright spot.

So many disappointing performance among the position players. Hayes is getting on base, but has yet to show any power over 20 games into the season.

Cruz is on pace for about 300 strikeouts and his defense has been bad. It might be time to send both him and Davis to AAA to try to work things out and regain confidence.

If they do not pan out, there is little hope of the Pirates being a good offensive club anytime soon.

stillerfaninfl

Contributor
Reaction score
Jeez these guys take a lot of 3rd strikes looking. Whatever happened to guarding the plate with 2 strikes on ya.... nothing close....get the bat off your shoulder.... go down swingin'.

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
Jeez these guys take a lot of 3rd strikes looking. Whatever happened to guarding the plate with 2 strikes on ya.... nothing close....get the bat off your shoulder.... go down swingin'.

It's almost like they're being coached to be patient to a fault.

Walks are up compared to last year, but it might be coming at the expense of some hits.

There needs to be a better balance between patience and aggressiveness, IMO.

Hayes and Reynolds are getting on base a lot, but the Pirates need more doubles and HRs from them than what they're currently getting. You need RBIs from your stars.

Badcat

Zero Foxtrot Golf
Reaction score
It's almost like they're being coached to be patient to a fault.

Walks are up compared to last year, but it might be coming at the expense of some hits.

There needs to be a better balance between patience and aggressiveness, IMO.

Hayes and Reynolds are getting on base a lot, but the Pirates need more doubles and HRs from them than what they're currently getting. You need RBIs from your stars.
Andy Haines needs to be fired. Pirates Hitting overall is horrid.