• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Pirates 2024

steel dino

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I think the yinzers will really like their new first baseman they signed also..
He has that look that only a yinzer could love!

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
Our pitching staff is starting to round out.......:rolleyes:

steel dino

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Buccos make a big splash (for them) in Free Agency by signing Aroldis Chapman for 10 mil!

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
If nothing else, it will be interesting to see how some of the high ceiling young players like Oneil Cruz, Henry Davis and Quinn Priester develop.

There is some potential for the Pirates to surprise, at least offensively, but when it comes to the Pirates and prospects, I've learned not to expect anything until we actually see it.

Case in point, KeBryan Hayes' bat finally showed some signs of catching up to his glove toward the end of last season, but it's premature to say he has finally turned the corner.

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
Guy is playing for the one team that will have him at this point in his career. Not sure that is having something going for you.

His speed and power are pretty much gone compared to what they were a decade ago, but he still is a pretty tough out, as he still gets on base a lot.

That has value in today's game.

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Case in point, KeBryan Hayes' bat finally showed some signs of catching up to his glove toward the end of last season, but it's premature to say he has finally turned the corner.

I have been an avid baseball fan for most of my life and learned about some things that modern teams look for in assessing a player's production. Baseball is so statistically driven that we now know the difference between stats that are descriptive (what the player did) and predictive (what the player is likely to do in the near future). In this regard, Hayes' hitting shows a LOT of promise.

Specifically, something called launch angle. players with low launch angles tend to hit a lot of ground balls, which are rarely extra-base hits, never HR's and are outs about 75% of the time. Improving launch angle is something teams started to research and teach about 10 years ago.

Another important stat is exit velocity, i.e., how hard a guy hits the ball. Low exit velocities are often squeak hits and bloopers but again, rarely extra-base hits and never HR's.

Hayes' launch angle the past 3 seasons has gone from 2.6 degrees to 5.2 degrees to last year's 13.2 degrees. The five-fold increase in launch angle is intentional as Hayes is looking to get the ball off the ground. Hayes also has exit velocities that range from the good to last year's excellent, from 90.2 mph to 91 mph to 92.2 mph. The latter number was in the 93rd percentile. Hayes also does not K much (though his walk rate cratered last year for some reason).

Baseball Savant - Ke'Bryan Hayes

So don't be surprised when he hits 20+ HR's this season and winds up hitting something like .285/.340/.475. How good has his hitting become? Good enough to win the Gold Glove (yes, that's a joke with substantial factual basis).

The Pirates have some entertaining bats - Cruz, Hayes, Reynolds, Suwinski, Peguero, Davis, and a very underrated Edward Olivares. Their pen is very good and the starting pitching is ... did I mention the pen? The starting pitching improves when Jared Jones and Skenes join the rotation. Those two are F-I-L-T-H-Y.

steel dino

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I have been an avid baseball fan for most of my life and learned about some things that modern teams look for in assessing a player's production. Baseball is so statistically driven that we now know the difference between stats that are descriptive (what the player did) and predictive (what the player is likely to do in the near future). In this regard, Hayes' hitting shows a LOT of promise.

Specifically, something called launch angle. players with low launch angles tend to hit a lot of ground balls, which are rarely extra-base hits, never HR's and are outs about 75% of the time. Improving launch angle is something teams started to research and teach about 10 years ago.

Another important stat is exit velocity, i.e., how hard a guy hits the ball. Low exit velocities are often squeak hits and bloopers but again, rarely extra-base hits and never HR's.

Hayes' launch angle the past 3 seasons has gone from 2.6 degrees to 5.2 degrees to last year's 13.2 degrees. The five-fold increase in launch angle is intentional as Hayes is looking to get the ball off the ground. Hayes also has exit velocities that range from the good to last year's excellent, from 90.2 mph to 91 mph to 92.2 mph. The latter number was in the 93rd percentile. Hayes also does not K much (though his walk rate cratered last year for some reason).

So don't be surprised when he hits 20+ HR's this season and winds up hitting something like .285/.340/.475. How good has his hitting become? Good enough to win the Gold Glove (yes, that's a joke with substantial factual basis).

The Pirates have some entertaining bats - Cruz, Hayes, Reynolds, Suwinski, Peguero, Davis, and a very underrated Edward Olivares. Their pen is very good and the starting pitching is ... did I mention the pen? The starting pitching improves when Jared Jones and Skenes join the rotation. Those two are F-I-L-T-H-Y.
Great post Steeltime!

In addition, there are several really great prospects in the organization that weren't mentioned in your posts.

Middle infielders - Cheng and Tremarr Johnson
and look out for Jase Bowen - OF/!B down the road.
In addition---Numerous young arms!

This team might be poised for near term success more than any sports organization in Pittsburgh at the moment.

Watching these guys grow will be very enjoyable!

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Great post Steeltime!

In addition, there are several really great prospects in the organization that weren't mentioned in your posts.

Middle infielders - Cheng and Tremarr Johnson
and look out for Jase Bowen - OF/!B down the road.
In addition---Numerous young arms!

This team might be poised for near term success more than any sports organization in Pittsburgh at the moment.

Watching these guys grow will be very enjoyable!

Yep. Tomlin's quest for 9 wins is an anchor to the Steelers and the Pens have just become old.

I was in a discussion/debate last year with another guy about Termarr Johnson. Dude was talking about Johnson's disappointing production and I noted the TJ was 18 years old at the start of the season, playing against grown men, hit 18 HR's and had a .422 OBP. "But, but, but ... BATTING AVERAGE" was the guy's response.

Punxsutawney

Reaction score

I enjoy the analytics aspect of the game too. Baseball is still way ahead of the other sports when it comes to it.

There are reasons to be optimistic about Hayes, but he still needs to show he can do it for a full season. Remember, he looked great when he was a first called up during the Covid-shortened season in 2020 as well.

The key thing if he has turned the corner is that the Pirates have him under contract for awhile. That big extension they gave him was looking pretty bad until late last season.

The extension for Keller surprised me, perhaps more that he signed it than the Pirates offering it

He probably signed at a discount, given what starting pitchers are making in free agency right now.

The contracts given to Reynolds and Keller definitely show a bit more investment by Nutting than we're accustomed to seeing, but the payroll is still lower than it probably should be.

Many think Skenes will be ready for the majors by this summer, but it is not in the Pirates nature to call up a player within a year of drafting said player.

Gerrit Cole had to wait two years after being drafted first overall.

steel dino

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Yep. Tomlin's quest for 9 wins is an anchor to the Steelers and the Pens have just become old.

I was in a discussion/debate last year with another guy about Termarr Johnson. Dude was talking about Johnson's disappointing production and I noted the TJ was 18 years old at the start of the season, playing against grown men, hit 18 HR's and had a .422 OBP. "But, but, but ... BATTING AVERAGE" was the guy's response.
Termarr Johnson reminds me of the young Joe Morgan..

steel dino

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Wow, what a great comp - the eye at the plate, the speed, the power, even the position.
Seriously… not just a compliment, but his play and skill sets align with Morgan’s, especially as a young man just breaking into the league..of course IMHO.

The Buccos have another great young prospect that needs to be developed to reach full potential..
Future looks very favorable..

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
Skenes looked impressive in his short outing against the Orioles.

He can hit 100+mph on his fastball with little effort and seems to already have a decent feel for his change up. He seems to have that strong mound presence that the great ones have as well.

It just sucks to know the Pirates have zero chance of resigning him when the time comes.

It will be tempting for the Pirates to call him up at some point this season, especially if he dominates the minors, but regardless, the Pirates could very well have a strong rotation within the next couple years.

The development of Priester and Jones to go along with Keller and Skenes will be the key.

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Skenes looked impressive in his short outing against the Orioles.

He can hit 100+mph on his fastball with little effort and seems to already have a decent feel for his change up. He seems to have that strong mound presence that the great ones have as well.

It just sucks to know the Pirates have zero chance of resigning him when the time comes.

Yeah, for the first two years of the new contract but the simple fact is that long-term, expensive pitcher contracts to guys over age 30 are a massive negative. Take a look at some examples:
  • Justin Verlander - 2019. More time on the DL than the mound.
  • David Price - 2022. Yikes.
  • Zack Greinke - 2021. Yikes.
  • CC Sabathia - 2017. Yikes.
  • Max Scherzer - 2021. Yikes.
  • Jacob Degrom - 2023. Soon to join the "yikes" list.
  • Felix Hernandez - 2019. Yikes.
  • Cole Hamels - 2019. Yikes.
Don't commit to pitchers over age 30. Just don't. It will murder the budget.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, for the first two years of the new contract but the simple fact is that long-term, expensive pitcher contracts to guys over age 30 are a massive negative. Take a look at some examples:
  • Justin Verlander - 2019. More time on the DL than the mound.
  • David Price - 2022. Yikes.
  • Zack Greinke - 2021. Yikes.
  • CC Sabathia - 2017. Yikes.
  • Max Scherzer - 2021. Yikes.
  • Jacob Degrom - 2023. Soon to join the "yikes" list.
  • Felix Hernandez - 2019. Yikes.
  • Cole Hamels - 2019. Yikes.
Don't commit to pitchers over age 30. Just don't. It will murder the budget.
Healthy, middle of the road players murder the Pirates’ budget.

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
So far, so good, though Keller's start in the opener was disappointing. He wasn't absolutely terrible, as the defense let him down a bit, but they're going to need a lot better from him this season.

It will be interesting to see Jared Jones' debut tonight.

Oneill Cruz has about as much power an anyone in the game, but there are legitimate questions revolving around whether he can make enough contact to get enough out of it. All the strikeouts so far are a concern.

Reactions: JMM

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
Jared Jones struck out 10 in just under six innings, giving up three runs.

He definitely can be something special, but given how hard he throws without the largest stature, I worry a little bit about stamina and durability going forward.

He's not built like Paul Skenes.

Reactions: JMM

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
Jared Jones struck out 10 in just under six innings, giving up three runs.

He definitely can be something special, but given how hard he throws without the largest stature, I worry a little bit about stamina and durability going forward.

He's not built like Paul Skenes.
Jones looked good. Wish they would have let him finish the 6th, but very good debut.