• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Pirates 2023

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
They gave Shelton an extension based upon May alone.....fu ck in shoulda waited. He sucks! He couldn't manage a 1 car funeral.
It doesn't matter who the manager is right now, the team isn't any good. They're counting on a bunch of young guys coming up at once and making a run. Shelton just needs to hang on until maybe some of the young talent actually develops. Given what we've seen from this team in the past, I'm not too confident.

With the upcoming draft, does everyone want Crews or Skenes?

steel dino

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I'll never forget that '79 season and watching them come back from the edge of elimination. With Pops taking command, Dave Parker, Tim Foli, Garner, and who can forget Kent Tekulve closing it out. I was just a kid at the time though.

I really enjoyed those Bonds, Bonilla, Van Slyke days. I was able to catch a few Spring training games and was in the stands at TRS for the 92 NLCS home games. Good times in the Burgh but that loss in game 7 still cuts like a knife. I feel bad for Chico Lind, he coulda, shoulda turned that
Ill never forgive Mr. Big Head Barry Bonds throwing that lollipop to Spanky at home plate....

BUM!!

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
NO call for batting coach Hayes head?

Pirates top 4 batters 1-101 at the plate prior to the win.

Salute the nation

stillerfaninfl

Contributor
Reaction score
Never understood some of the coaches over the years. Why not Al Oliver back in the day after he retired? Dave Parker? Bill Madlock? More recently, what about Jason Kendall? Hell, pull Neil Walker outta the booth...at least ask if he's interested.

I know some players can't coach, and some managers never made the bigs and were good managers (Leyland), but damn....enuff of the nobodies that aren't getting the job done....try something else. Would love to see some former Bucs as coaches...and might help attendance a bit. I'd come to a game or 2 to see a Russell Martin or Cervelli coaching.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Never understood some of the coaches over the years. Why not Al Oliver back in the day after he retired? Dave Parker? Bill Madlock? More recently, what about Jason Kendall? Hell, pull Neil Walker outta the booth...at least ask if he's interested.

I know some players can't coach, and some managers never made the bigs and were good managers (Leyland), but damn....enuff of the nobodies that aren't getting the job done....try something else. Would love to see some former Bucs as coaches...and might help attendance a bit. I'd come to a game or 2 to see a Russell Martin or Cervelli coaching.

100% behind this idea.

Hell, I want Hayes gone and Shelton out the door as well.

The team has the talent, it’s coaching holding them back.

Salute the nation

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
On the bright side...

Former number seven overall pick Nick Gonzales got his first major league hits and first home run last night!
It was a real dinger! 441 feet!
It was funny because Keith Law was on the radio yesterday talking about being concerned with Gonzales' swing and after digging into it more, a lot of teams weren't interested in him that high in the draft. It's just one game, but a start.

stillerfaninfl

Contributor
Reaction score
3 wins in a row. Swept the padres. WTH??

Gonzales is done. 3 for 15....hitting .200. 2 of his hits were that one night with the triple and HR.

Davis, so far, is for real tho.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
4 1/2 games out on division, why not? They have as good a chance as any to win this division. I’m still excited.

Bringing up the young talent will get those vet’s attitudes in a much better place. Hell, look at the impact a young move up, DAVIS had made. He didn’t accept the dUgg out attitude and went out and did his thing……. it spread like wildfire amongst the team.

Could 87 wins win the division, good chance of it.

Salute the nation

steel dino

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
4 1/2 games out on division, why not? They have as good a chance as any to win this division. I’m still excited.

Bringing up the young talent will get those vet’s attitudes in a much better place. Hell, look at the impact a young move up, DAVIS had made. He didn’t accept the dUgg out attitude and went out and did his thing……. it spread like wildfire amongst the team.

Could 87 wins win the division, good chance of it.

Salute the nation
Yep---division up for grabs for sure...

Still dont understand the reasoning for playing a former number one pick catcher in right fiield though?

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Yep---division up for grabs for sure...

Still dont understand the reasoning for playing a former number one pick catcher in right fiield though?

I think coaching is holding this team back. STILL no call for the hitting / batting coach’s head. If it were me, Hayes (I think is his name batting coach) would be on the first flight to Milwaukee and hopefully become their batting instructor……..

Salute the nation

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
The MLB draft is July 9th. There are three excellent prospects at the top of the draft.

Dylan Crews, OF, LSU
He's 21 and has dominated in the SEC throughout his career with 58 HRs and 184 RBIs while batting .380. A lot of sites have him as the No. 1 overall prospect, but there was some talk he doesn't want to play in Pittsburgh and prefers Washington. If the Pirates offer him the max contract, I doubt he doesn't sign.

Paul Skenes, P, LSU
Also 21 and 6'6", he's a huge pitcher with a rocket arm and is the best pitching prospect in a long time. The downside is he isn't an everyday player and there's always worries about arm injuries. The upside is the only way for the Pirates to get a dominant arm is to draft one. His velocity shot up this year from the low to mid 90s to an average of 98 mph and pitching over 100. I've read he already has three good pitches. He has two years at Air Force and one at LSU with a career 2.18 ERA and 12.8 K/9. He's pretty good at the plate if the Pirates wanted to tackle that territory.

Wyatt Langford, OF, Florida
Another 21 year old was probably the top prospect at the beginning of the season. He's a little bigger than Crews and has played left field while Crews has been in center. He has 47 HRs and 120 RBIs while batting .363. I've read that some scouts believe Langford's power numbers will translate better to MLB.

Common sense says everyday player > pitcher, but the idea of having a guy who can come in every five days and shut down a lineup is intriguing, especially losing in the playoffs to dominant pitchers. The only thing I better not here is signability and instead it better be who they think will be the best player. It's very possible that Crews or Skenes could be on the MLB roster as early as next season, possibly Langford too.

stillerfaninfl

Contributor
Reaction score
Went to bed last night....Bucs were winning 4-1 after a 3 run shot by Suwinsky. Check the score this morning...they lost 6-4. Box score shows Contreras got lit up for 4 runs on 3 hits...with back-to-back Jack's for LA. Why is he on this team??

steel dino

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
BTW -- Contreras is a BUM!

On the bright side....Gonzo with 2 more hits last night!

And the young Polish kid is a slugger!!

Last edited:

steel dino

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Went to bed last night....Bucs were winning 4-1 after a 3 run shot by Suwinsky. Check the score this morning...they lost 6-4. Box score shows Contreras got lit up for 4 runs on 3 hits...with back-to-back Jack's for LA. Why is he on this team??
Me too---fell asleep at 1-0 Bucs in the third ....woke up to bases loaded for the Bucs in the 5th? with us losing 6-4...
Went to bed wondering how many we scored with the bases loaded situation.....come to find out the answer is NONE!

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
With the top pick, the Pirates drafted Paul Skenes, P, LSU.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
Would rather have had Crews, but when your team lacks both offense and pitching, you gotta make a choice. Being a Pirates fan, it is not surprising they took the pitcher. Just hoping he blossoms in Pittsburgh and we get a few good years out of him before he becomes too expensive and is moved for a bunch A and AA prospects.