• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Pirates 2023

stillerfaninfl

Contributor
Reaction score
Turned on the game...Bucs up 5-1 after 5 and 1/2. Check a little later....down 7-5 . Lost 10-6. Apparently Conteras got bombed for 5 runs. He has got to go. And Shelton needs to learn how to protect a lead like they had.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Turned on the game...Bucs up 5-1 after 5 and 1/2. Check a little later....down 7-5 . Lost 10-6. Apparently Conteras got bombed for 5 runs. He has got to go. And Shelton needs to learn how to protect a lead like they had.

Did Conner Joe just stand there looking for a walk?

Salute the nation

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Just watch highlights, disappointing in that they couldn’t protect that lead. “JOE” not one single appearance in the highlights.

DK sports daily shot seems to think there are two players that should be called up.(can’t remeber their names)

Salute the nation

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Pirates got UGLY swept by the cubs. They had their chances but the bats didn’t happen when needed.

Pitching failed as well, both starters and relief.

Still above .500 by a couple games though

Salute the nation

stillerfaninfl

Contributor
Reaction score
Need pitching. Keller is good and Rich Hill will give some innings. Contreras and Oviedo.... not good.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
5 losses in a row in the division.......

Still can't beat the freakin' Brewers.....
Well at least they can beat the Cardinals.

Pirates haven’t finish in front of the Cardinals since 1997, one of if not, the most obscure stat in all professional sports.

Salute the nation

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Brewers swept the Pirates on their home field.

One game got way out of hand, otherwise they were in it pretty well.

Patience, is needed but also a couple batters need to get their head on a little tighter. Walks can be OK, but in scoring situation you have to go out and swing, not standing strike outs.

Salute the nation

JMM

Gone Fishin'
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm right here. Can't you understand plain English
Brewers swept the Pirates on their home field.

One game got way out of hand, otherwise they were in it pretty well.

Patience, is needed but also a couple batters need to get their head on a little tighter. Walks can be OK, but in scoring situation you have to go out and swing, not standing strike outs.

Salute the nation
Is Zane Smith or Bob Walk still pitching? Sounds like the Bucs need a Brewer shutdown ace as Zane was against the Mets back in the day.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
Damn. The Pirates are 14-29 since going 20-8 in April. It gets old seeing this crap year after year.

Reactions: JMM

stillerfaninfl

Contributor
Reaction score
Lost 7 in a row in the division. 3rd place, soon to be 4th. Was fun while it lasted. The beginning of the end.

Badcat

Zero Foxtrot Golf
Reaction score
Damn. The Pirates are 14-29 since going 20-8 in April. It gets old seeing this crap year after year.
It seems to be a morale thing, it's the only explanation that I can think of. They come into spring all happy, refreshed, having fun and then the typical Pirates culture takes over and people start to hate being there. I blame Bob...I'll bet that guy is as big of a buzz kill as they get.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
I’m just glad I was alive to see some winning teams in the 70’s and 90’s. Yeah the Pirates had a couple winners from 2013 to 2015, and they should have built off of that. Instead they dismantled it. You’d swear that ownership is convinced winning is bad.

Reactions: JMM

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
It seems to be a morale thing, it's the only explanation that I can think of. They come into spring all happy, refreshed, having fun and then the typical Pirates culture takes over and people start to hate being there. I blame Bob...I'll bet that guy is as big of a buzz kill as they get.

DK Sports Pirates Daily Shot todays had a GREAT talk about the hitting / batting Coach (Haines?). NOT pinning it on the batting coach but brought up some great reasoning on how little the coach is helping the batter.

Conner Joe is an example of not being helped. He is standing there looking foe a walk and striking out not swinging. The situational play would have been put the ball in play, yet he didn’t even make the attempt. Hitting coach nee3ds to make these guys know the situational play and act upon it. Conner Joe is just one of many examples of this roster needing a better hitting / batting coach.

Salute the nation

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
8 losses in a row.....

Have not scored in 24 innings if I'm counting right. Yikes !!

That exact stats was at part of DK Pirates Daily Shot. ALSO 2 runs in last 4 games. Talked about Shelton not firing anyone (significant) in his 4 years there.

NOT even contact on the ball / situational hitting / Batters getting worse instead of better……………..

Batting coach needs a serious look as to keeping his job…………. I think you Gotta do something at this point.

Salute the nation

stillerfaninfl

Contributor
Reaction score
9 losses in a row and counting. These are the bucs we have all come to know and love.

JMM

Gone Fishin'
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm right here. Can't you understand plain English
I’m just glad I was alive to see some winning teams in the 70’s and 90’s. Yeah the Pirates had a couple winners from 2013 to 2015, and they should have built off of that. Instead they dismantled it. You’d swear that ownership is convinced winning is bad.
I'll never forget that '79 season and watching them come back from the edge of elimination. With Pops taking command, Dave Parker, Tim Foli, Garner, and who can forget Kent Tekulve closing it out. I was just a kid at the time though.

I really enjoyed those Bonds, Bonilla, Van Slyke days. I was able to catch a few Spring training games and was in the stands at TRS for the 92 NLCS home games. Good times in the Burgh but that loss in game 7 still cuts like a knife. I feel bad for Chico Lind, he coulda, shoulda turned that dp

stillerfaninfl

Contributor
Reaction score
They gave Shelton an extension based upon May alone.....fu ck in shoulda waited. He sucks! He couldn't manage a 1 car funeral.