• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Pens Hockey 2021?

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
I honestly didn’t know Jeff Carter was still in the league. Not sure how I feel about this one. Two conditional picks for a guy way past his prime? Is Rutherford still the GM? This move is Rutherford-esque.
I cringe every time they sign some guy with a lot of tread on the tires and he's past 35 years old. He does have his name on the cup twice. I hope he has some fire left in him. I don't know him at all. I don't pay any attention to the teams across the country.

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
I gave Jeff Carter the benefit of the doubt and thought he was about 34, but he's 36. Heard he's still a good net presence and still can skate. From his past and Hexy's, I guess it makes sense. Don't F up the chemistry they have going. Welcome to the Big Club!

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
I guess they are looking for playoff experience depth. Especially if Malkin can't get back. Was hoping for more of a physical presence on D but the day isn't over yet.
That's great, but does it make them better? I don't know. What I do know is that it is going to push some hungry kid back to the minors. The only way this makes sense is if Malkin's, Tanev's or Kapanen's injuries are worse than originally thought.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
Looking at the TSN trade tracker, Columbus got a 1st round pick from Toronto for Nick Foligno. Nick Foligno. If that's the going rate, the Pens should be able to get about 4 first rounders for a guy like Letang.

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
The only way this makes sense is if Malkin's, Tanev's or Kapanen's injuries are worse than originally thought.

That's my fear. I sure hope not. We've got a great thing going. I hope it stays.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
I cringe every time they sign some guy with a lot of tread on the tires and he's past 35 years old. He does have his name on the cup twice. I hope he has some fire left in him. I don't know him at all. I don't pay any attention to the teams across the country.
Patrick Marleau part 2. Perhaps a bit better

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
The caps got better today. They picked up Micheal Raffl and Anthony Mantha. They really didn’t need more firepower.

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
getting out of our division for the PO is going to be extemely tough. You have BOS and WASH staring the Pens in the face and that's if the standings remain as they are right now.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Looks like Tanev may be out long term.

Jeff Carter can play center or wing, so I think this was a strategic move to keep the lines flowing.

I know his age is a turn off for you guys, but he is a solid hockey player who can be a fan fave for his time here.

I think the guy will want to win playing with Sid and lazy Russian.

I won’t say it was a bad pick up. I’ll let time tell. Based on Jeff Carter’s history

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
It's not really a turn off, but bringing in these older vets have had little effect the last few years. It has worked as far as Guerin and Mullen. Carter has talent and obviously can still play, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. I do think Geno and Tanev's injuries are longer term and they got decent bang for their buck with a vet that is versatile.

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
The caps got better today. They picked up Micheal Raffl and Anthony Mantha. They really didn’t need more firepower.

That sucks. It seems that the other teams draft and trade to beat us and each other, and we don't. I hope I'm wrong, but Mantha could make them a scoring machine. I wish that we still had Reaves.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
That sucks. It seems that the other teams draft and trade to beat us and each other, and we don't. I hope I'm wrong, but Mantha could make them a scoring machine. I wish that we still had Reaves.
From what I've read, Mantha has been pretty inconsistent in Detroit. Lazy turnovers and uninspired play seemed to plague him as of late. All of that said, when the guy is on, he can bury the puck as well as anyone. Washington could be a juggernaut if this all works out.

While I was disappointed with the Pens trade deadline, truth is, in order to get anything, they'd have to give up something. It appears they aren't willing to move anything of value, they have no picks and no prospects worth trading. On top of that, there are still teams playing in empty arenas and those that have fans aren't generating enough revenue to convince teams to take on salary. It is what it is.

Carter will help I think, especially given the injuries, but I just don't think this team is built to go through 4 rounds of 7 game series the way the other playoff teams, especially in their division, are constructed. The Caps and Bruins are big and fast and they can beat you into submission over a 7 game series. I don't know what the Islanders are because they will whoop the Caps but lose to the Pens. I guess we'll just have to see.

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
From what I've read, Mantha has been pretty inconsistent in Detroit. Lazy turnovers and uninspired play seemed to plague him as of late. All of that said, when the guy is on, he can bury the puck as well as anyone. Washington could be a juggernaut if this all works out.

While I was disappointed with the Pens trade deadline, truth is, in order to get anything, they'd have to give up something. It appears they aren't willing to move anything of value, they have no picks and no prospects worth trading. On top of that, there are still teams playing in empty arenas and those that have fans aren't generating enough revenue to convince teams to take on salary. It is what it is.

Carter will help I think, especially given the injuries, but I just don't think this team is built to go through 4 rounds of 7 game series the way the other playoff teams, especially in their division, are constructed. The Caps and Bruins are big and fast and they can beat you into submission over a 7 game series. I don't know what the Islanders are because they will whoop the Caps but lose to the Pens. I guess we'll just have to see.

I agree with all of this, but understand that I think this has been a problem for years. Not just this year.

I want to add that we have a VERY good team, so they do most things correctly. The decision to not have a physical team is a bad one that continues. That is my opinion.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
I agree with all of this, but understand that I think this has been a problem for years. Not just this year.

I want to add that we have a VERY good team, so they do most things correctly. The decision to not have a physical team is a bad one that continues. That is my opinion.
Oh I agree. When the Pens won the Cup in 2016 and 2017, speed was the name of the game and the Pens had a ton of it. They could run teams up and down the ice and just wear them out. Then the Caps won in 2018 with a good mix of size, speed and physicality and the NHL as whole has started to evolve to that kind of play and the Pens have not followed suit and it has cost them. I'm not saying to throw the baby out with the bath water, but they are going to have to find a guy or two similar to Tom Wilson that can skate, score and lay the wood to the point players are looking over their shoulder when he is on the ice. Most every other team has guys like that. I know why the Pens don't, but I'm hoping that's soon to change.

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
Oh I agree. When the Pens won the Cup in 2016 and 2017, speed was the name of the game and the Pens had a ton of it. They could run teams up and down the ice and just wear them out. Then the Caps won in 2018 with a good mix of size, speed and physicality and the NHL as whole has started to evolve to that kind of play and the Pens have not followed suit and it has cost them. I'm not saying to throw the baby out with the bath water, but they are going to have to find a guy or two similar to Tom Wilson that can skate, score and lay the wood to the point players are looking over their shoulder when he is on the ice. Most every other team has guys like that. I know why the Pens don't, but I'm hoping that's soon to change.

That is exactly what I am talking about when I say that we don't build to beat the teams we need to beat.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
The Pens are not fast nor physical. But they do play well.

I’d say they are a more puck possession oriented team. They don’t rely on speed/physicality but rather have a more possession and set up plays.

It’s hard to say what they’ll do in the playoffs. I think if they can handle the physical aspect they’ll be fine.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
Not sure if you’re interested, but Mantha has a goal and an assist halfway through his first game with the Caps. Caps are up 5-1 on Philly, who may not be the best measuring stick at this point, but 2 points is 2 points.

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
Not sure if you’re interested, but Mantha has a goal and an assist halfway through his first game with the Caps. Caps are up 5-1 on Philly, who may not be the best measuring stick at this point, but 2 points is 2 points.

Not surprised.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Any positive outcome in the nhl will probably mean something. The caps want to win and made the moves to win now.

I think Hextall will do more in the offseason seeing how the season/playoffs shape out.

If the Pens lose due to physicality, best believe Hextall will push for a physical presence.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Did anyone catch what happened to Tanev in his last game? Wonder if he broke a bone, tore something, etc...Hated to read where GMRH said he might be back for the playoffs.
Shoulder issue I believe

JMM

Gone Fishin'
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm right here. Can't you understand plain English
Shoulder issue I believe
Thanks. This was back in March and Tanev was on a real tear. The Pens had an afternoon game and I'm guessing it was on a Saturday, I was listening to the pre-game while driving down the road and a female reporter commented on how well he is playing and is staying healthy regardless of how physical he was playing. She then said I hope I don't just curse him. A few minutes later we hear he was scratched due to injury. I'm not sure who the reporter was but I think she is likely a witch.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
Thanks. This was back in March and Tanev was on a real tear. The Pens had an afternoon game and I'm guessing it was on a Saturday, I was listening to the pre-game while driving down the road and a female reporter commented on how well he is playing and is staying healthy regardless of how physical he was playing. She then said I hope I don't just curse him. A few minutes later we hear he was scratched due to injury. I'm not sure who the reporter was but I think she is likely a witch.
Burn her!.....Burn the witch! She probably has the rona too. The witch must die..haha