• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Penguins 22-23

str8liner

Reaction score
Grab something to eat, turn the game back on and its 3-3 and the Wings coach is getting tossed lmao.

• Haha
Reactions: JMM

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
And they get smashed 7-4. Gave up 6 goals on 24 shots. Welp so much for that sprinkle of hope I had going.

str8liner

Reaction score
Like I said, an "easy" 2 points lol. Played great in the 2nd but sucked in the 1st and 3rd.

Typical Pens fashion with chance to put some distance on the Panthers since they are slumping, tonight they laid and egg.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
A few random thoughts on the Penguins:
  • Their goaltending is just not good enough to compete for a Stanley Cup.
  • I used to like Jarry, but I noticed that he seems to spit, habitually, during the playing of the U.S. national anthem. Stupid and disrespectful. **** him. Plus he's always injured and sucks in big games.
  • I've never seen an NHL goalie over-commit to the shooter as much as Casey DeSmith does, The guy is too often way out of position, and frequently gives up juicy rebounds which he gives himself no shot of stopping.
  • They shlt the bed by giving Bryan Rust a $30 million dollar contract. He should be on the third line. Maybe the fourth line.
  • Granlund is another overpaid player who isn't physical. And he doesn't seem to understand how to put the puck on the net.
  • Rakell is a versatile top-six forward, and worth his $5 million annual salary. He produces no matter where Sullivan puts him.
  • They ought to give Letang a break with the outlandishly large minute totals. He's not in his 20s anymore.
  • Ruhwedel is a good seventh defenseman, but when he's forced to play regularly, he sucks.
  • Dumoulin was solid for many years, but it's time to part ways.
  • P.O. Joseph has potential if they would just be willing to trust him with more minutes.
As far as the loss to the Red Wings. Crosby was a turnover machine, and the first line as a whole was otherwise practically invisible, although I see that Guentzel managed to pick up a goal on a scoring change. The fourth line was much more productive in much less time on the ice. Tired of watching Pittsburgh lose to teams they should beat. Even if they sneak into the playoffs thanks to the Panthers' recent collapse, another first-round exit is clearly imminent.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Down 2-0 to a bottom feeder already.....

Edit 3-0 now.

Nice job boys! :tsk:
The nhl is turning into a bottom feeder league lol.
They’ve cut every major contract bringing them money aside from espn. Gary Bettman has given the fans a big FU.

Gatorade to bio steel
Adidas to fanatics
Annoying virtual ads on the boards.
Blackout games constantly
Espn + hasn’t necessarily been bad aside from some blackout games and I sure as hell ain’t paying another streaming service just for nhln.

If the league offers center ice again. Then maybe. But hot damn am I ever disappointed in the league killing itself as always. I ain’t forking over a dime next season.

Enjoy the Pens and the nhl at that while you can. Once Crosby and Ovechkin retire I don’t see any marquee names carrying the league any further. McDavid doesn’t have the same draw as those two

/rant over

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
A few random thoughts on the Penguins:
  • Their goaltending is just not good enough to compete for a Stanley Cup.
  • I used to like Jarry, but I noticed that he seems to spit, habitually, during the playing of the U.S. national anthem. Stupid and disrespectful. **** him. Plus he's always injured and sucks in big games.
  • I've never seen an NHL goalie over-commit to the shooter as much as Casey DeSmith does, The guy is too often way out of position, and frequently gives up juicy rebounds which he gives himself no shot of stopping.
  • They shlt the bed by giving Bryan Rust a $30 million dollar contract. He should be on the third line. Maybe the fourth line.
  • Granlund is another overpaid player who isn't physical. And he doesn't seem to understand how to put the puck on the net.
  • Rakell is a versatile top-six forward, and worth his $5 million annual salary. He produces no matter where Sullivan puts him.
  • They ought to give Letang a break with the outlandishly large minute totals. He's not in his 20s anymore.
  • Ruhwedel is a good seventh defenseman, but when he's forced to play regularly, he sucks.
  • Dumoulin was solid for many years, but it's time to part ways.
  • P.O. Joseph has potential if they would just be willing to trust him with more minutes.
As far as the loss to the Red Wings. Crosby was a turnover machine, and the first line as a whole was otherwise practically invisible, although I see that Guentzel managed to pick up a goal on a scoring change. The fourth line was much more productive in much less time on the ice. Tired of watching Pittsburgh lose to teams they should beat. Even if they sneak into the playoffs thanks to the Panthers' recent collapse, another first-round exit is clearly imminent.
If you follow the Pens closely. Goaltending has been an issue since the last cup win in 16-17. Matt Murray went on a huge decline that nobody saw coming.

Another trait that transpired around that time was the late 3rd period collapses. As key assets like Cullen, Kessel, Hagelin, Bonino, Cole, Reaves etc moved on. Those late third period collapses became more amplified. None of this current trend is a shock.

The GM has left Sullivan out to dry with a poorly constructed roster. That said don’t expect the big 3 to be moved. They’re going out on their terms and deservingly so. The Pens would be playing in KC if those three weren’t playing the way they have throughout their career. From triumphs to defeats. Those three deserve to see out their careers as Pens lifers.

As for the current teams-
At best they’re a first round team. At worst they miss the playoffs. I ain’t stressing over it. Will be an interesting offseason for sure.

My only worry is the direction of the league. A lot of hardcore fans are fed up with Bettman, I mean they always have, but this season just feels different - With a lot of bottom feeder deals to promote the league *** I’m all on board for hockey becoming big and they were on the right trend in 2013-2020 but since then the league has seemingly taken a nose dive ***

Maybe it’s just my point of view. But even I’ve become disinterested at this point.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
The nhl is turning into a bottom feeder league lol.
They’ve cut every major contract bringing them money aside from espn. Gary Bettman has given the fans a big FU.

Gatorade to bio steel
Adidas to fanatics
Annoying virtual ads on the boards.
Blackout games constantly
Espn + hasn’t necessarily been bad aside from some blackout games and I sure as hell ain’t paying another streaming service just for nhln.

If the league offers center ice again. Then maybe. But hot damn am I ever disappointed in the league killing itself as always. I ain’t forking over a dime next season.

Enjoy the Pens and the nhl at that while you can. Once Crosby and Ovechkin retire I don’t see any marquee names carrying the league any further. McDavid doesn’t have the same draw as those two

/rant over

McDavid unfortunately isn't playing on the right team to have a big draw in the United States.

I agree when Ovechkin and Crosby retire, who will they promote? It's going to be more boring than it is now.

The Pens needed a stud goalie to help this current team out. They don't have it. They're only capable of a sporadically good game or two. Then it's a **** show.

Beyond my control and I see some really hard times coming until they get the next superstar player after Sid retires.

JMM

Gone Fishin'
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm right here. Can't you understand plain English
If you follow the Pens closely. Goaltending has been an issue since the last cup win in 16-17. Matt Murray went on a huge decline that nobody saw coming.

Another trait that transpired around that time was the late 3rd period collapses. As key assets like Cullen, Kessel, Hagelin, Bonino, Cole, Reaves etc moved on. Those late third period collapses became more amplified. None of this current trend is a shock.

The GM has left Sullivan out to dry with a poorly constructed roster. That said don’t expect the big 3 to be moved. They’re going out on their terms and deservingly so. The Pens would be playing in KC if those three weren’t playing the way they have throughout their career. From triumphs to defeats. Those three deserve to see out their careers as Pens lifers.

As for the current teams-
At best they’re a first round team. At worst they miss the playoffs. I ain’t stressing over it. Will be an interesting offseason for sure.

My only worry is the direction of the league. A lot of hardcore fans are fed up with Bettman, I mean they always have, but this season just feels different - With a lot of bottom feeder deals to promote the league *** I’m all on board for hockey becoming big and they were on the right trend in 2013-2020 but since then the league has seemingly taken a nose dive ***

Maybe it’s just my point of view. But even I’ve become disinterested at this point.
The NHL was a small island where you could watch a game and not be bothered by all the societal crap that you'd be inundated with when watching/listening to/reading about the other big league games. Not anymore.. That changed when they signed on with Disney/ESPN. I just shake my head when watching the game on ESPN/ABC and see the tranny teen dancing around for Amazon about 4-6 times per game but once the Pens are done, I'll find better things to do than watch hockey on these woke networks.

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
The net has to be the focus this off season. We have minor league guys there now. Rust, Carter, Dumont, Bonito, all need to go. Maybe more. This team is a patchwork team, no identity. Only two lines worth poop, and occasionally another line shows up.

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
The NHL was a small island where you could watch a game and not be bothered by all the societal crap that you'd be inundated with when watching/listening to/reading about the other big league games. Not anymore.. That changed when they signed on with Disney/ESPN. I just shake my head when watching the game on ESPN/ABC and see the tranny teen dancing around for Amazon about 4-6 times per game but once the Pens are done, I'll find better things to do than watch hockey on these woke networks.
We're getting really tired of it.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
This here.
Money ruins many a good things. Bettman sold the league out

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
This here.
Money ruins many a good things. Bettman sold the league out

It ruined the NFL. The peak of the NFL unfortunately came in the 1970's. As the money exploded the game itself just became this sideshow spectical.

Reactions: JMM

steel dino

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Unfortunately.....we just don't have the goaltending play to get us there...

Very disappointing performance by DeSmith....horrible in fact for a NHL caliber goaltender...

I seen better goaltending performance at the last Delaware Thunder game I attended..
No B.S. -- that first and third periods by DeSmith was about as bush league as it gets!

str8liner

Reaction score
Unfortunately.....we just don't have the goaltending play to get us there...

Very disappointing performance by DeSmith....horrible in fact for a NHL caliber goaltender...

I seen better goaltending performance at the last Delaware Thunder game I attended..
No B.S. -- that first and third periods by DeSmith was about as bush league as it gets!
The guys in front of him turning the puck over and committing stupid penalties doesn't help either.

Rust was the one that got the collapse started last night.

It's a wander Sullivan hasn't had a stroke they way they play sometimes.

steel dino

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
The guys in front of him turning the puck over and committing stupid penalties doesn't help either.

Rust was the one that got the collapse started last night.

It's a wander Sullivan hasn't had a stroke they way they play sometimes.
I hear ya … it ain’t always perfect ..
But it seems we are outshooting and having a huge edge in scoring chances every game and we just don’t get the back end support needed from our goalies..

It’s very similar to having a great scoring offense in the NFL, only to have a defense in bottom half of the league in scoring..

If this team had capable net minders, we would be wondering what wild card team where going to play in the playoffs…

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
I hear ya … it ain’t always perfect ..
But it seems we are outshooting and having a huge edge in scoring chances every game and we just don’t get the back end support needed from our goalies..

It’s very similar to having a great scoring offense in the NFL, only to have a defense in bottom half of the league in scoring..

If this team had capable net minders, we would be wondering what wild card team where going to play in the playoffs…
The Pens are not a bad team. It’s the late game collapses that baffle me

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
It ruined the NFL. The peak of the NFL unfortunately came in the 1970's. As the money exploded the game itself just became this sideshow spectical.
I’d say the peak of the nfl was the 90’s. The league had directv, big names like Jerry Rice, John Elway, Dan Marino, Troy Aikman, etc. Simple yet effective marketing. Non political and the sport was entertaining

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
I’d say the peak of the nfl was the 90’s. The league had directv, big names like Jerry Rice, John Elway, Dan Marino, Troy Aikman, etc. Simple yet effective marketing. Non political and the sport was entertaining

The peak quality of the game was definitely the 70,s. At least from my perspective of having watched both.The 90,s wasn't bad football wise, but the free agency stuff was in full swing and people started going mercenary to the highest bidder.