• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Pats trade Jamie Collins to Browns

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
I read on Twitter that Collins was freelancing in the Buffalo game. Add to that they will have to pay Hightower next year and it was a decision about who they pay.

Collins was obviously causing issues - presumably as he wasn't getting the stats he felt he needed to get paid at the end of the year. Whatever the reason he was freelancing and in the process hurting the defence.

Not a problem in Browns land apparently:
https://www.all22.com/new-england-patriots/hue-jackson-says-hes-ok-with-jamie-collins-freelancing

Not a surprise. They want guys only doing what they ask of them and nothing more. Belichick would have dumped Polamalu after about five minutes.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
Mike Lombardi was on with Bill Simmons on his show and he made a point so many fans and GM's in the NFL just don't realize.

This is what he said:

He’s trading a guy who is very talented, but very moody, very inconsistent with his effort, and so for him to pay that player that type of money sends a message to the locker room that, look, I tolerate this and I reward this. He’s never doing that. And with Belichick, every message he sends in terms of a contract is a message to the locker room.”

Contracts are messages from ownership that REWARDS BEHAVIOR. Which is why every time to sign a guy from outside the building you are taking a huge risk at showing the locker room behavior (that you don't really know about yet) that you endorse and encourage.

And while off-the-field issues are important (much more so today in our social media world and extreme judgement of all people famous), Belichick mostly cares about "between the lines" actions (and that means anything of or about the team, facility, etc.). Which is why I bet for as much as Aaron Hernandez was a despicable human being outside the Patriot's facility, I bet he was okay at following Belichick's rules and putting in the work heading into games (and backing it up on the field).

If I want to give credit to the Steelers, they know this better than most teams in the NFL. And it's one of the reasons they are a consistently good team. I hope Tomlin doesn't get off this track as the money starts going from Cowher/Colbert players to Tomlin/Colbert players but for the most part it seems like they've picked pretty solid guys to give long-term deals to.

Belichick wasn't going to pay Collins. He is going to reward Hightower, who from all reports, is a consummate professional and does all the little things before and during games. Hightower will get the huge contract and Collins goes to Cleveland, who likely will pay a bunch of money for a "talented, moody, inconsistent effort player" that will send to the entire Cleveland locker room that this behavior is not only tolerated but rewarded (and at the same time undermine all those players that work hard and are looking for 2nd contracts).

That explains why you let a guy leave, but not why you trade him away mid season for almost nothing. The Pats got in trade pretty much the same they would have gotten as a compensatory pick if they let Collins leave and he signed a big contract.

Unless Collins was acting out and actually becoming a distraction, it doesn't make sense to me to trade him in a season where you are on a Super Bowl run.

It's like the Santonio situation. I think that was a mistake by the steelers that may have cost them the Super Bowl. They came up just short against the Packers and a playmaker like Santonio could have been the difference. Sure, let him walk after the season but i don't see the point in trading away a playmaker mid season for peanuts unless that guy has become not just a pest but an outright negative. I don't think Santonio or Collins were that bad that they had to be dealt mid season.

Steelerfan81

HERE WE GO
Forefather
Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
What doesn't make sense is that Collins wouldve gotten the Pats a 3rd Rd compensation pick in the offseason anyway in 2018.. so they got nothing really.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
What doesn't make sense is that Collins wouldve gotten the Pats a 3rd Rd compensation pick in the offseason anyway in 2018.. so they got nothing really.

To be honest a Brown's 3rd rounder is literally the 65th pick while a compensation pick would've been almost #100

Steelerfan81

HERE WE GO
Forefather
Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
To be honest a Brown's 3rd rounder is literally the 65th pick while a compensation pick would've been almost #100
They traded him for the Browns compensation pick(conditional). The conditions are if the Browns get a Compensation pick in the third round then that's what the Pats get. If they don't they get the Browns third.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Steeler Nation mobile app

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok didn't know that, I still think that they screw up most of their trades

steel shinin

Reaction score
Mike Lombardi was on with Bill Simmons on his show and he made a point so many fans and GM's in the NFL just don't realize.

This is what he said:

He’s trading a guy who is very talented, but very moody, very inconsistent with his effort, and so for him to pay that player that type of money sends a message to the locker room that, look, I tolerate this and I reward this. He’s never doing that. And with Belichick, every message he sends in terms of a contract is a message to the locker room.”

Contracts are messages from ownership that REWARDS BEHAVIOR. Which is why every time to sign a guy from outside the building you are taking a huge risk at showing the locker room behavior (that you don't really know about yet) that you endorse and encourage.

And while off-the-field issues are important (much more so today in our social media world and extreme judgement of all people famous), Belichick mostly cares about "between the lines" actions (and that means anything of or about the team, facility, etc.). Which is why I bet for as much as Aaron Hernandez was a despicable human being outside the Patriot's facility, I bet he was okay at following Belichick's rules and putting in the work heading into games (and backing it up on the field).

If I want to give credit to the Steelers, they know this better than most teams in the NFL. And it's one of the reasons they are a consistently good team. I hope Tomlin doesn't get off this track as the money starts going from Cowher/Colbert players to Tomlin/Colbert players but for the most part it seems like they've picked pretty solid guys to give long-term deals to.

Belichick wasn't going to pay Collins. He is going to reward Hightower, who from all reports, is a consummate professional and does all the little things before and during games. Hightower will get the huge contract and Collins goes to Cleveland, who likely will pay a bunch of money for a "talented, moody, inconsistent effort player" that will send to the entire Cleveland locker room that this behavior is not only tolerated but rewarded (and at the same time undermine all those players that work hard and are looking for 2nd contracts).

Yeah Lombardi can **** off with his Patriot nut hugging insider bullshit. Aaron Hernandez is a perfect example of the hypocrisy. They knew he had issues coming in. Of course they didn't forsee him being a murderer but this Patriot Way bullshit is weak. They brought in Blount after he was essentially kicked off the Steelers and after they had decided not to resign him. We'll never know the real reason they traded Collins.