• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Pats trade Jamie Collins to Browns

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
what does one thing has anything to do with the other? They would be even more scary with better trades

I honestly don't know if they would be. Belichick knows what he wants and it works for them. I don't agree with all of their roster moves--including this one--but the results are there.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
I honestly don't know if they would be. Belichick knows what he wants and it works for them. I don't agree with all of their roster moves--including this one--but the results are there.

I'm trying to compare players given and received via trade. That's why I don't account their current record, all I know is they could have a guy that projects 10 sacks this season and they gave him away for peanuts. Imagine if that happened with the Steelers, this site would collapse

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
Part of Belichick's success is that the AFC East has been garbage for over a decade. The Bills, Jets and Dolphins just can't get it together. It seems every year, 2 of them are terrible and 1 of them is just mediocre and they seem to take turns. The end result is the Pats are rarely even challenged on their way to the AFC East title.

The AFC North sucks this year. The Steelers are playing without seemingly half their roster and they are likely still going to win this division. This is unusual for the North but it's the Pats default scenario just about every year.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Hoodie will get rid of a guy if he isn't adhering to team standards. Jaimie is damn good player. But maybe his attitude was a the reason for being sent to Cleveland

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
What gets me is why didn't the Steelers make a play for him?

sitting on those hands will do this team no favors.............

obxsteeler

Reaction score

Do you know they didn't ? To be better than the Brown's offer would have required a #2 plus franchising him to sign him. You like that?

Steel G

Reaction score
He probably was too lazy to study the answers before the test, so they shipped him.

Slaine

Still wants to trade Fu for a third
Forefather
Reaction score
I read on Twitter that Collins was freelancing in the Buffalo game. Add to that they will have to pay Hightower next year and it was a decision about who they pay.

Collins was obviously causing issues - presumably as he wasn't getting the stats he felt he needed to get paid at the end of the year. Whatever the reason he was freelancing and in the process hurting the defence.

Not a problem in Browns land apparently:
https://www.all22.com/new-england-patriots/hue-jackson-says-hes-ok-with-jamie-collins-freelancing

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
They do get tons of gloss, but, honestly, you don't think it's deserving? Tell me, who appears to be a better team than the Pats right now?

I can think of no team. Tell me who looks better right now?

They went 3-1, sometimes with a rookie, 4th-string QB. Now that Brady is back, they are caving in everyone's skulls. They made our D look like we played a bunch of cup cakes out there. We were listless, lifeless and feckless.

I'm not saying they aren't good, just sick of the every thing they is classic hoodie and it must be a good move, bullshit! How did ocho do there, or haynesworth, guys that the hoodie would make great again.
Since Ben was drafted we won 2 titles, they won two titles.

I wouldn't say they caved in our skulls, missing the players we were missing.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
I seriously wonder how New England knows when to pick up a player a drop a player.

They can't be that good over the course of years. I'm suggesting there is a separate group not linked to football and protected that reports to Belicheat. This group spies on players to determine who has their hearts and minds in football, and who's drifting away.

Such a scandal if true would violate the NFL player's trust for years.

If Collins falls off the wagon....

Last edited:

chipped ham

Reaction score

Even if they had inquired, I can't imagine that the hood would trade him to the Steelers. Especially if they feel the Steelers pose a threat to them this year and in coming years. A move to the Browns is inconsequential to them because until the Browns start proving they can make some noise, they're always going to be doormats.

miiike

Contributor
Reaction score
Reading this thread makes me imagine what would happen if ESPN ran an article on Bill Belichick’s daily **** . I think we could get to three or four pages debating:

1. How impressive the **** was;
2. Whether he cheated taking the ****;
3. Why Tomlin could never take such a ****; and
4. Why the Steelers front office did not trade for the ****.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Reading this thread makes me imagine what would happen if ESPN ran an article on Bill Belichick’s daily **** . I think we could get to three or four pages debating:

1. How impressive the **** was;
2. Whether he cheated taking the ****;
3. Why Tomlin could never take such a ****; and
4. Why the Steelers front office did not trade for the ****.

No ****!

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score

It was reported (probably leaked by NE PR) Collins was asking for Von Miller contract numbers on their negotiation. Do you think we would pay that kind of money for a LB? No way. If it was a deal like Greene or Farrior, you know market value, Yes. Not hyped value.

Troglodyte

Reaction score
He's a free agent after the season, so they traded his services for 8 games and the playoffs for what will likely be a top 70 pick.

I wouldn't say he is likely to be the difference in them winning a championship, so not such a crazy trade.

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
sadly this opens the way for Elandon Roberts to pick up more of the playing time....hate to have to cheer for UH guys to fail.....

P

POP

Hoodie will get rid of a guy if he isn't adhering to team standards. Jaimie is damn good player. But maybe his attitude was a the reason for being sent to Cleveland

Word is he wanted paid market value, like Von Miller type coin. Once they heard that, out he goes. They've done it to many before him, including Ty Law and Richard Seymour.

P

POP

Terrible trade by the Pats that will be called brilliant because the Pats did it. Collins is pretty much their only great player on defense, Sure, they may not be planning on signing him long term but you're still trying to win the Super Bowl this year. This smacks of arrogance. They think they don't need him.

Great move for Browns. Collins is young and will be the heart of their defense for years. If the browns can find a QB for next year, they are better than the Bengals and Ravens

First of all NO ONE is calling it a brilliant move in the media. No one.

Secondly, "If the Browns find a QB?" As if they ever do in the last 25 years? Why should we believe that all of a sudden they will overcome that hurdle?

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Word is he wanted paid market value, like Von Miller type coin. Once they heard that, out he goes. They've done it to many before him, including Ty Law and Richard Seymour.

The guy must be on crack

deljzc

Reaction score
Mike Lombardi was on with Bill Simmons on his show and he made a point so many fans and GM's in the NFL just don't realize.

This is what he said:

He’s trading a guy who is very talented, but very moody, very inconsistent with his effort, and so for him to pay that player that type of money sends a message to the locker room that, look, I tolerate this and I reward this. He’s never doing that. And with Belichick, every message he sends in terms of a contract is a message to the locker room.”

Contracts are messages from ownership that REWARDS BEHAVIOR. Which is why every time to sign a guy from outside the building you are taking a huge risk at showing the locker room behavior (that you don't really know about yet) that you endorse and encourage.

And while off-the-field issues are important (much more so today in our social media world and extreme judgement of all people famous), Belichick mostly cares about "between the lines" actions (and that means anything of or about the team, facility, etc.). Which is why I bet for as much as Aaron Hernandez was a despicable human being outside the Patriot's facility, I bet he was okay at following Belichick's rules and putting in the work heading into games (and backing it up on the field).

If I want to give credit to the Steelers, they know this better than most teams in the NFL. And it's one of the reasons they are a consistently good team. I hope Tomlin doesn't get off this track as the money starts going from Cowher/Colbert players to Tomlin/Colbert players but for the most part it seems like they've picked pretty solid guys to give long-term deals to.

Belichick wasn't going to pay Collins. He is going to reward Hightower, who from all reports, is a consummate professional and does all the little things before and during games. Hightower will get the huge contract and Collins goes to Cleveland, who likely will pay a bunch of money for a "talented, moody, inconsistent effort player" that will send to the entire Cleveland locker room that this behavior is not only tolerated but rewarded (and at the same time undermine all those players that work hard and are looking for 2nd contracts).

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score

Makes sense

rpollock

Reaction score
They do get tons of gloss, but, honestly, you don't think it's deserving? Tell me, who appears to be a better team than the Pats right now?

I can think of no team. Tell me who looks better right now?

They went 3-1, sometimes with a rookie, 4th-string QB. Now that Brady is back, they are caving in everyone's skulls. They made our D look like we played a bunch of cup cakes out there. We were listless, lifeless and feckless.

You make me sick. Just come out of the closet and announce your a P*TS fan already.

**** the P*TS!!!!!